Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CNBCV posted:

Majority of bitcoin trading is a hoax, new study finds

Ninety five percent of spot bitcoin trading volume is faked by unregulated exchanges, according to a study from Bitwise this week.

The firm analyzed the top 81 crypto exchanges by volume on industry site CoinMarketCap.com. They report an aggregated $6 billion in average daily bitcoin volume.
The study finds that only $273 million of that is legitimate.
“People looked at cryptocurrency and said this market is a mess, that’s because they were looking at data that was manipulated,” says Matthew Hougan, global head of research at Bitwise.

New research is casting even more doubt on the legitimacy of bitcoin trading.

An analysis published by Bitwise this week shows that 95 percent of bitcoin spot trading is faked by unregulated exchanges. The survey, first reported by The Wall Street Journal, echoes concerns by regulators that cryptocurrency markets are still ripe for manipulation.

Bitwise, an asset manager in the process of trying to list the first-ever bitcoin exchange traded fund, said it met with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday to discuss its application. As a part of the process, it submitted analysis that could help regulators cut through the noise.

“People looked at cryptocurrency and said this market is a mess, that’s because they were looking at data that was manipulated,” said Matthew Hougan, global head of research at Bitwise. “When you cut away the echo chamber of these nonsense numbers, it should be an efficient, well-arbitraged market.”

The analysis showed that “substantially all of the volume” reported on 71 out of the 81 exchanges was wash trading, a term that describes a person simultaneously selling and buying the same stock, or bitcoin in this case, to create the appearance of activity in the market. In other words, it’s not real.

Those exchanges report an aggregated $6 billion in average daily bitcoin volume. The study finds that only $273 million of that is legitimate.

“The idea that there’s fake volume has been rumored for a long time, we were just the first people to systematically look at which exchanges were delivering real volume,” Hougan told CNBC.

The San Francisco-based firm compared at Coinbase Pro, which reports about $27 million in average daily volume in bitcoin. Its median “spread,” or difference between the price a seller wants and the price a buyer wants, for bitcoin was about 1 cent. That scenario passed Bitwise’s test for having real volume.

But in another stark comparison CoinBene — the biggest reported exchange on CoinMarketCap.com — has a nearly $15 spread. Hougan said they found other extreme examples of exchanges with a spread of more than $300.

“It is surprising that an exchange with almost 18 times the volume of Coinbase Pro would have a spread that is 1,500 times larger,” Bitwise said in the report.

Exchanges may have an incentive to report fake volume. Bad actors may look to attract listings for new initial coin offerings, or ICOs, who want their cryptocurrency on an exchange where more trading goes on, Bitwise said. Those fees can run from $1 million to $3 million per listing, according to data from Autonomous Next.

U.S. regulators have taken a cautious approach to making bitcoin mainstream for traders. The SEC highlighted the risk of manipulation as reason for rejecting applications for other cryptocurrency ETFs. The office of New York Attorney also flagged the issue in a recent report warning that exchanges were vulnerable. Because most cryptocurrency trading platforms don’t use the same monitoring tools as stock exchanges, SEC Chairman Jay Clayton has warned that investors may not get a fair assessment of bitcoin’s price.

“What investors expect is that trading in the commodity that underlies that ETF makes sense and is free from the risk of manipulation,” Clayton said in November at the Consensus Invest Conference in Manhattan. “It’s an issue that needs to be addressed before I would be comfortable.”

Hougan said this also explains why trading volume for regulated bitcoin futures have seemed weak. Chicago-based CME and Cboe began listing bitcoin derivatives at the end of 2017 but have had much lower volumes than the $6 billion reported by unregulated exchanges.

“When you realize the size of the real bitcoin market, the CME starts to look a lot more significant,” Hougan said.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
So when you delete all the stupid crap, all the scams, and all of the fraudulent transactions, it's a perfect rational market!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There was a point a few years back where some new Chinese law came into effect and the volume on their exhanges dropped by 99.999%

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
95% fraudulent is better than my presumptions, I think this article has improved my opinion of bitcoin slightly

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
That sure was a lot of words to say "all the other buttcoins are scams, but ours is good and honest, believe us"invest" in us.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

95% fraudulent is better than my presumptions, I think this article has improved my opinion of bitcoin slightly

The built in limit on transactions per second prevents high frequency trading. Otherwise the real transactions would be 1 in 100 million. Homeopathic currency trading.

Ps: I think HFT on Wall Street is also bullshit.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Bitcoin trading doesn't happen on the blockchain. The only thing preventing HFT is that all echanges are written in PHP and backed by databases stored in Excel on ephemeral storage.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah. in late 2017, the blockchain wars meant that BTC transaction times hit an hour cos Bitmain shifted all the mining to BCH.

nobody cared, because all the action was on the exchanges. NUMBER GO UP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

yeah. in late 2017, the blockchain wars meant that BTC transaction times hit an hour cos Bitmain shifted all the mining to BCH.

nobody cared, because all the action was on the exchanges. NUMBER GO UP

I love you Divabot!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/1108451138922270734

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
10% of the exam for a finance charter I took yesterday was about "blockchain and its applications." I couldn't believe my luck. Thanks thread!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was the answer: None?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think you're forgetting all the nerdy recluses who now have reliable drug hook ups for the first time in their lives. Crypto Blockchain is a gamechanger.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think that I'd honestly prefer getting arrested than buy drugs with buttcoin.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Ayyy lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

By popular demand posted:

I think that I'd honestly prefer getting arrested than buy drugs with buttcoin.

You can easily do both.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://twitter.com/cburniske/statu...D362%23lastpost

it's starting to get less funny now that it's so predictable

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Play posted:

it's starting to get less funny now that it's so predictable

You know a show's in trouble when it starts bringing back old characters. like the WWE trying to bring back all the 60 year old Attitude generation wrestlers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Bad news everyone

https://twitter.com/NotSkycoinCEO/status/1108556193276911616

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2019-03-22/a-crypto-critic-says-bitcoin-needs-to-burn-with-fire-podcast

tl;dr: The hosts are amazed that they've actually scoured the dark recesses of the universe enough to find someone that thinks crypto is bad and dumb, but is also not an idiot like all those other people who say that. Generally, the guest is found to be adorable by the hosts for his loony tinfoil conspiracies on how Bitcoin is neither a good currency or store of value and has spent the last 24 months 'speed running 500 years of economic failure' (paraphrasing).

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also, the biggest drug market, which has operated continuously for 6 years, is calling it quits and allowing everyone time to finish transactions and withdraw their coins without an exit scam...

... which might actually indicate that it's finally been compromised. the announcement wasn't signed, which is unusual, so people are speculating that the FBI is going to try to track big withdrawls, and may have compromised the anointed successor

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 28, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CannonFodder posted:

Ps: I think HFT on Wall Street is also bullshit.

HFT does provide liquidity to a market, which mathematically has been proven to depress prices of stocks i.e. without HFT you are paying a transaction charge to trade

for non-traders it's insane and unfair and all the things

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

Also, the biggest drug market, which has operated continuously for 6 years, is calling it quits and allowing everyone time to finish transactions and withdraw their coins without an exit scam...

goddamnit now where am I gonna get my ketamine?!?!?!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Norton the First posted:

you'll just have to rob a vet like a normal person

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Norton the First posted:

Don't worry, ketamine-2-go just switched to a .gov address, that's all

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The FDA just approved ketamine for depression but it's like $500. Lmao

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

mmj posted:

Don't worry, ketamine-2-go just switched to a .gov address, that's all

This is actually good for bitcoin. Now, ketamine-2-gov accepts filthy fiat USD, which legitimizes drug trading over the internet, which in turn legitimizes bitcoin. 2-the-moon!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thinkin about those butts

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dukatenscheisser

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 29, 2019

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/crypto/

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm the folder labelled "Kickbacks"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

orange juche posted:

I'm the folder labelled "Kickbacks"

my_crimes.txt

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can't stop laughing at this

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wow they couldn't even get liam hemsworth

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

I would have thought that with Hateful Eight and Guardians of the Galaxy, Kurt Russell's bank account wouldn't be doing so goddamn bad as to consider this.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
The guy sounds like he just enjoys working. He's Kurt loving Russel. He got nothing else to prove and probably just hate sitting in his house doing nothing.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah he also did an action movie where he played Santa Claus.

Pretty sure Kurt's just victory lapping these days.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/katebevan/status/1111988852493897730?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
ok, gurf, why should we watch your video