Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Finally we can get back to what’s important.

Like Jaco.

What the hell’s up with Jaco’s bowlcut very fast coworker you think? That guy’s weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is he from the manga arc that's going right now

I haven't read that and idk who you're talking about

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah. That Shōnen Jump online subscription is $2/ month and worth it even if you only care about dragon ball. It has all the manga, even the Full Color stuff. Glad I looked into it before spending 15-20 bucks on each volume.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not that I couldn't have read it. I just haven't been that interested in keeping up with the manga tbh

will prob go back and binge before the anime inevitably starts back up

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not that I couldn't have read it. I just haven't been that interested in keeping up with the manga tbh

will prob go back and binge before the anime inevitably starts back up

It's mostly bad stuff mixed with a few things the anime should've done up until this arc.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s probably the correct choice, following the manga week to week kind of sucks. As not a lot happens from week to week. Even now when it’s better it still isn’t exactly an exciting week to week.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s probably the correct choice, following the manga week to week kind of sucks. As not a lot happens from week to week. Even now when it’s better it still isn’t exactly an exciting week to week.

Its also a monthly, so that sucks a bit more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rudoku posted:

Its also a monthly, so that sucks a bit more.

Dam should have said chapter to chapter. Either way it’s still better to binge it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

if I'm primarily interested in OG Dragon Ball and don't really care about the material covered in Z, should I go with the manga or the original anime?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both are good, but the manga has better pacing while the anime's got filler content here and there and at the end of the show which could end up choking the speed of it somewhat.

Also there is a real good gag involving a panel in the first volume of the manga that makes it worth recommending it alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

if I'm primarily interested in OG Dragon Ball and don't really care about the material covered in Z, should I go with the manga or the original anime?

imo the anime adaptation of og dragon ball is very good. a lot of the filler they add adds a lot to the series, and there's a lot of detail added to fights, like the sunset in the goku/roshi tournament fight. some of the filler does fall a bit flat, though, but unlike dbz 'filler' isnt really stretching out fights to no end. the only thing that really feels like that is the midfight break during the tao fight, but its like an episode, so eh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the pacing of the og dragon ball anime is actually pretty good, no lie. there is filler but it's not like dbz filler. really nice adaption

tho I do think the art in dragon ball is really good and it's worth checking out the manga just because it's nice to look at

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'll go with the anime then! I actually really enjoy filler material more often than not, and if it's just the manga but even more substantial that sounds like the way to go

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The DB anime is straight up great and I fondly remember watching it back when I was a wee dork. Haven't watched it in almost 20 years, so I wouldn't know if it'd hold up, but it probably does.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wark Say posted:

The DB anime is straight up great and I fondly remember watching it back when I was a wee dork. Haven't watched it in almost 20 years, so I wouldn't know if it'd hold up, but it probably does.

I only watched the original mid 90s dub episodes in Synication and several episodes from the Red Ribbon Army Saga when Cartoon Network were airing them and watching them about two years ago and it holds up very well outside of the creepy Roshi stuff, but that stuff in both Z and Super so it hard to avoid that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Original flavour Dragon Ball ends with a filler arc of Goku and Chi-Chi going on a honeymoon adventure together that I found pretty cute and as a consequence it's always made a bit disappointed that Chi-Chi didn't really get to do poo poo afterwards other than be a strict mom occasionally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd go so far as to say the Piccolo arc is straight up better in the anime. The anime adds a lot of stuff of how Piccolo and his minions have affected the world and gives Goku an actual mystical quest for his power up. In the manga Piccolo just kind of walks into an office building and declares world conquest and Goku gets powered up because he gets powered up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Roshi can be kind of a creepy lech, yes, but I have to admit he also legit made me tear up in one moment and goddamn I still remember that moment even after all these years.

:rip: Jesús Colín, who for 30 years was like the grand-master of voicing older character in Mexican dubs.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 23, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Master Roshi's a weird case given outside of his awful lechery he can be a pretty good and fun character. Super seems to have at least tried to acknowledge and get rid of that... somewhat... though I get the feeling they don't really understand why that character element is considered especially bad nowadays.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

After watching through Kai along with All Systems Goku (first time I actually watched Buu all the way through) I've definitely got a hankering to watch some OG DB but I'm going to hold off for now in case ASG comes back to watch it next.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Master Roshi's a weird case given outside of his awful lechery he can be a pretty good and fun character. Super seems to have at least tried to acknowledge and get rid of that... somewhat... though I get the feeling they don't really understand why that character element is considered especially bad nowadays.

The question would be whether that character element is considered bad in 2019 Japan or not

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whoa what did I miss in here

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just caught up and goddamnit I went thru the effort of setting up a preserve and sanctuary!

Anyway, I think OG Roshi kinda doesn't fly even in 2019 Japan, otherwise they wouldn't have tried to minimize his Extremely Horny character trait, considering it was the main joke about the character. Super as a whole toned that down, considering Buu had Bulma-groping-based bartering as a recurring joke and all. Without that Roshi is just a goofy old drunken master and that's fine.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It was good that the rejection of horniness made him more powerful

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

a cartoon duck posted:

Ignoring is cool when someone's a bit annoying about kid cartoons.

Politely ignoring that someone gets off on the idea of corrective rape, less so.

Edit: He's banned though and probably banned-on-sight at this point so it's all moot anyway.

It's not even "politely ignoring", you can block all his posts so you don't even have to see them.. which is what everyone in this thread should have done ages ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will not give anyone the privilege of going on my ignore list.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ignore feature sucks and also people are gonna quote him for one reason or another if not outright derail the thread over something he posts (this was true even before he was outed as a gross homophobe)

so nah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

og roshi definitely doesnt work in 2019 japan lol. theres a reason why perv characters in modern shonen are way toned down comparatively. like compare mineta, whos the same age as the girls and at worst tricks them into cheerleaders or tries to spy on them changing without actually succeeding, to roshi, who's a 500+ year old man whose main objective in life is to see a teenager's bare breasts, a goal he succeeds in

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Roshi's horniness wasn't toned down, he just stopped having a role in the show once a new character to fit his role showed up, just like Yamcha/Tien/Piccolo/Krillin/Gohan. Most of the time he got any focus in Super it was to be the same creep as always.

Vegeta better watch out that Broly doesn't send him the way of the others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Roshi's horniness wasn't toned down, he just stopped having a role in the show once a new character to fit his role showed up, just like Yamcha/Tien/Piccolo/Krillin/Gohan. Most of the time he got any focus in Super it was to be the same creep as always.

Vegeta better watch out that Broly doesn't send him the way of the others.

They kinda tried to have their cake and eat it too with Roshi's "training" bits, but being Horny was his one-note for the longest time and I feel like they set that up so he could do different stuff at the ToP. At the end of the day his big moments were as a fighter and a teacher with a single (really bad) sex joke thrown in there. Does he even do anything horny on the Freeza movie?

Plus, yeah, Mineta is the same sort of character but done better - I actually don't mind him too much exactly because he's a teenager and he just gets dumped on and actively skeeved out by the one person that calls his bluff.

edit: "better" as in a way that is more palatable nowadays, I guess I should add.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I think we're all forgetting his first ToP elimination here, which I am really hoping the dub changes to be less of a black mark on an amazing episode.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I try to block that out. That was just not funny.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Roshi was never as bad before as he was in Super.

Except when the black water mist made him an explicit rapist. That's the Roshi they went with.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Namtab posted:

It was good that the rejection of horniness made him more powerful

This will always remind me of the line in an old Kung-Fu movie called The Invincible Armor, where one of the characters warn that since the villain of the movie has remained celibate, he is now twice as powerful as he otherwise would be. The martial arts equivalent of reaching Wizard status.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know if Goat-Wizard from Super manga will be in the anime?

Heard the manga is bad so I'll wait for the anime if its getting adapted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Probably, outside one offs the manga and anime have the same arcs with different details

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Anyone know if Goat-Wizard from Super manga will be in the anime?

Heard the manga is bad so I'll wait for the anime if its getting adapted.

I think the general thought is that previous manga arc adaptations were kind of meh (with single touches being better than in the anime, like Roshi showing off Ultra Instinct moves), but this Moro stuff is pretty drat good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

sassassin posted:

Roshi was never as bad before as he was in Super.

Except when the black water mist made him an explicit rapist. That's the Roshi they went with.

In og dragonball he refuses to do something unless he can see bulmas bare breasts, she was about 13 at the time. Roshi succeeds in this ambition.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Namtab posted:

In og dragonball he refuses to do something unless he can see bulmas bare breasts, she was about 13 at the time. Roshi succeeds in this ambition.

In Super he corners a girl alone in a room and threatens her with violent sexual assault. His friends look the other way.

Later he does it again, while hulked out.

He's a sex criminal in both, but there are differences in his deserved sentence. Super Roshi deserves the mafuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Roshi tries to watch a girl pee, twice