Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ahaha go back to /r/atheism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

It was black hardcover with “PRATCHETT” and “WYRD SISTERS” on the spine in gold. This is pretty much the only light I can shed on the affair; best part of twenty years later and the action and explanation both are still baffling to me.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's just a book. I definitely understand tearing it in half;
Oook.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
trying to picture what'd happen to someone who ripped a book in half in U.U.'s library and my imagination just chuckles weakly and shuts down

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oxxidation posted:

trying to picture what'd happen to someone who ripped a book in half in U.U.'s library and my imagination just chuckles weakly and shuts down

Mine just goes back to the "ripped in half" thing.

Oook !

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sanford posted:

I did have Wyrd Sisters with a personalised message from TP but when I worked in a call centre a colleague took my bag by mistake and, thinking it was his bag, saw the book and “thought his friends had put a bible in there as a joke” so then “tore it in half and threw it in the river”. Totally totally normal reactions. Who destroys a book without even looking what it is?
Nothing in this post makes any sense unless you consider the colleague has some sort of severe degenerative brain condition.

Like really? That's insane, by any measure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Where they rip books in half they will soon also rip humans In half.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you're an atheist, it's not sacred. It's just a book. I definitely understand tearing it in half; it's the river that deserves more respect.

I'm honestly wondering what you think you would accomplish by doing that. Do you believe that the bible is like the necronomicon and that you van defeat christianity by destroying it's books?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you're an atheist, it's not sacred. It's just a book. I definitely understand tearing it in half; it's the river that deserves more respect.

No, that's not how it works. Things are sacred because people hold them to be sacred.

I don't have to share those beliefs (hell, I think they're mostly ridiculous and the god of Christianity is a monster which should be slain) to be aware that certain objects, places and books are deeply important to other people, and should as such be treated with some degree of respect for the sake of those people.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I think the more pertinent point is "what kind of loving weirdo thinks the correct response to finding an unexpected book in their bag is to rip it in half and litter it in the river".

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The kind of wierdo who had just been given a signed Terry Pratchett book and had no intention of returning it so made up a stupid story instead

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
A few pages back people were talking about Vetinari's possible plans for a post-Vetinari city. Some were of the opinion that Vimes was being groomed to replace him, others that Moist was the one being groomed. Personally I think it's both, though possibly with Carrot instead of Vimes as the Watch representative. Obviously this is all speculation but considering Moist's role in the introduction of modern ideas like an efficient post office, paper money, and the railroad, it seems like a logical plot for a future Moist book would be the introduction of modern democratic politics. Maybe Vetinari announcing his retirement and with Moist and Vimes (or possibly Carrot) as the two most likely candidates an election would be necessary. As I said, just speculation honestly, but I think it would be a reasonable way to end the series, or at least the storyline of Ankh-Morpork's modernization.

On the topic more immediately at hand, I hope we can all agree that ripping books in half is generally a bad thing, especially classics like the Bible. I mean, I'm not religious in the slightest but even if you're not religious there's enough literary and historical value in the Bible that I'd say it deserves a ton of respect even separate from the religious reverence that some people hold it in.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I made a thousand digital copies of the Bible and deleted them just to torture you.

LOL at getting upset about a private citizen destroying a single book five centuries after Gutenberg.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

beep boop am robot what is sentimental value destroy all books

silly humans who cares book destroyed read on kindle

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
It's very possible to think someone's an rear end in a top hat or an idiot without actually being upset about it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

stereobreadsticks posted:

A few pages back people were talking about Vetinari's possible plans for a post-Vetinari city. Some were of the opinion that Vimes was being groomed to replace him, others that Moist was the one being groomed. Personally I think it's both, though possibly with Carrot instead of Vimes as the Watch representative. Obviously this is all speculation but considering Moist's role in the introduction of modern ideas like an efficient post office, paper money, and the railroad, it seems like a logical plot for a future Moist book would be the introduction of modern democratic politics. Maybe Vetinari announcing his retirement and with Moist and Vimes (or possibly Carrot) as the two most likely candidates an election would be necessary. As I said, just speculation honestly, but I think it would be a reasonable way to end the series, or at least the storyline of Ankh-Morpork's modernization.
I mean, we just had a "democracy? People would just vote not to pay any taxes or obey any laws, har har" in Unseen Academicals, so I doubt that.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I always thought it was going to go the way of "no one person could replace him, here are a range of successors who will need to work together" with Moist, Carrot, maybe Ponder Stibbons and whoever else, forming a coalition of sensible modernisers with enough internal conflict to keep each other in check. Guess we'll never know and I think I prefer it that way. It already annoys me that we didn't get to see what the city did with the devices recovered in THUD, it would be awful for a whole new age of Discworld to start and then just... stop.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

stereobreadsticks posted:

It's very possible to think someone's an rear end in a top hat or an idiot without actually being upset about it.

there's also nothing wrong with getting annoyed or upset at someone destroying a book

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sanford posted:

I always thought it was going to go the way of "no one person could replace him, here are a range of successors who will need to work together" with Moist, Carrot, maybe Ponder Stibbons and whoever else, forming a coalition of sensible modernisers with enough internal conflict to keep each other in check.

Gaspode for President. Foul ole Ron for Veep.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

there's also nothing wrong with getting annoyed or upset at someone destroying a book

When I was a teenager I spread jam on a bible and fed it to a horse. I was always more appalled at the lack of inquisitiveness around which book he was destroying rather than the actual destroying of it.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It’s irrational. Do you get upset when someone burns a sports jersey? Trashes an 8 track or CD?

Don’t fetishize books, guns, or any other objects. They’re just utilitarian stuff.

I guess if this Bible’s loss is materially affecting its information availability you have an actual concern, but that seems...unlikely.

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drone Jett posted:

It’s irrational. Do you get upset when someone burns a sports jersey? Trashes an 8 track or CD?

It's kinda weird to actively destroy anything. There's a passage in a Nero Wolfe book where he burns a whole dictionary, page by page, because it stated that "imply" and "infer" were synonymous. It's not presented to show how rational Wolfe is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone Jett posted:

Don’t fetishize books, guns, or any other objects. They’re just utilitarian stuff.

I guess if this Bible’s loss is materially affecting its information availability you have an actual concern, but that seems...unlikely.

no because I don't personally care about sports jerseys or CDs, but I like books a lot. If you told me you were a big sports fan and it bothered you that you saw someone burning a jersey, I wouldn't hold it against you.

I didn't realize "it's a shame that idiot destroyed a book for literally no reason" was fetishizing books lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

like holy poo poo we got some serious unfeeling robots coming out of the woodwork and it's especially bizarre in this particular thread

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Drone Jett posted:

Generally sports jerseys, 8 tracks and CDs aren't things which form a fundamental part of someone's self-identity. :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

Do whatever the gently caress you want with your own stuff. But this is about a guy taking someone else's book and ripping it in half because he thought it was a bible.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

Do whatever the gently caress you want with your own stuff. But this is about a guy taking someone else's book and ripping it in half because he thought it was a bible.

How do I return all these Jehovah’s Witness pamphlets that people are leaving on my doorstep? Apparently destroying unsolicited proselytizing material placed in or on my property without permission is verboten now.

The_White_Crane posted:

Generally sports jerseys, 8 tracks and CDs aren't things which form a fundamental part of someone's self-identity. :shrug:

That’s generally true of the Bible, as well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Maybe some of y'all aren't American so you don't know this, but we're fuckin DROWNING in bibles over here. I've got at least two or three in my apartment, despite being an atheist (I do keep one good one, at least, for its historic and cultural importance, a NRSV that has good annotations about etymology and stuff). Various organizations, primarily The Gideons, print enough bibles that every American could have like five, and somehow they think this is a good use of paper and ink. I'm all for respecting important literature such as the Bible, but gently caress, there's enough Bibles for every atheist in the country to pile a hundred up and torch them, and still distribute a Bible to every American. I've thrown away more Bibles than I can even remember.

This is not an exaggeration, but I am counting "pocket" bibles, which usually only have the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs for some reason. I've definitely had a ton of those pass through my hands. You just get handed them on the street sometimes, and then what are you supposed to do? Take it and cherish it as a work of fine literature, putting it on your bookshelf next to the other fifteen bibles you have, or just chaos dunk it into the next trash can you walk past?

So that's why I can empathize with someone who is sick of getting bibles dumped on them and would want to rip one in half. Of course, not checking whether it is actually a bible first seems psychotic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drone Jett posted:

How do I return all these Jehovah’s Witness pamphlets that people are leaving on my doorstep? Apparently destroying unsolicited proselytizing material placed in or on my property without permission is verboten now.

That’s generally true of the Bible, as well.

we get it bro you're A Cool Dude and you don't care about the bible

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Maybe some of y'all aren't American so you don't know this, but we're fuckin DROWNING in bibles over here. I've got at least two or three in my apartment, despite being an atheist (I do keep one good one, at least, for its historic and cultural importance, a NRSV that has good annotations about etymology and stuff). Various organizations, primarily The Gideons, print enough bibles that every American could have like five, and somehow they think this is a good use of paper and ink. I'm all for respecting important literature such as the Bible, but gently caress, there's enough Bibles for every atheist in the country to pile a hundred up and torch them, and still distribute a Bible to every American. I've thrown away more Bibles than I can even remember.

This is not an exaggeration, but I am counting "pocket" bibles, which usually only have the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs for some reason. I've definitely had a ton of those pass through my hands. You just get handed them on the street sometimes, and then what are you supposed to do? Take it and cherish it as a work of fine literature, putting it on your bookshelf next to the other fifteen bibles you have, or just chaos dunk it into the next trash can you walk past?

So that's why I can empathize with someone who is sick of getting bibles dumped on them and would want to rip one in half. Of course, not checking whether it is actually a bible first seems psychotic.

This was in the UK and his destroying it was due to it being a book, not due to it being the bible. He just assumed it was after the fact, because it was black. Everyone is really trying too hard to rationalise an irrational act by a very stupid man.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sanford posted:

This was in the UK and his destroying it was due to it being a book, not due to it being the bible. He just assumed it was after the fact, because it was black. Everyone is really trying too hard to rationalise an irrational act by a very stupid man.

but if you take away my ability to be :smug: about books being an unnecessarily fetishized item all I have left to be :smug: about is atheism

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sanford posted:

I always thought it was going to go the way of "no one person could replace him, here are a range of successors who will need to work together" with Moist, Carrot, maybe Ponder Stibbons and whoever else, forming a coalition of sensible modernisers with enough internal conflict to keep each other in check. Guess we'll never know and I think I prefer it that way. It already annoys me that we didn't get to see what the city did with the devices recovered in THUD, it would be awful for a whole new age of Discworld to start and then just... stop.

It's an odd feeling- I want to know what happens next; I want to know what the city does with golems, and steam power, and THUD devices. I want to see Moist as the new Patrician (probably.) But none of it can ever happen.
The THUD devices in particular where interesting because they felt like a callback to Pratchett's early sci-fi parody stuff- like something from Strata or DSotS. It felt something like Terry coming home, literarily speaking...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Radio.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Sanford posted:

When I was a teenager I spread jam on a bible and fed it to a horse. I was always more appalled at the lack of inquisitiveness around which book he was destroying rather than the actual destroying of it.

Now this is what I expect when I come to a Pratchett thread.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sanford posted:

I agree, I think it's also the only way that Vimes would ever step into a city-level leadership position. Vetinari's whole thing was playing everyone against each other to keep a balance, so IMO it would make sense that he'd set things up to work the same way after he was gone.

Also, while I wasn't the biggest fan of the massive modernization push, I always appreciate the love he put into describing the clacks, especially how they figure out how to transmit images.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I just wanted to quickly say that my humorous fantasy novel is free on Kindle today: https://www.amazon.com/Lingeria-Book-One-Daniel-Kozuh-ebook/dp/B07NZ7YQ52
Obviously Pratchett is a huge influence on me so if you like his stuff you might like mine to a slightly lesser degree.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If it's not worth printing on paper, it's not worth reading.

(Sorry, just had to say that because I'm a shithead.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

York_M_Chan posted:

I just wanted to quickly say that my humorous fantasy novel is free on Kindle today: https://www.amazon.com/Lingeria-Book-One-Daniel-Kozuh-ebook/dp/B07NZ7YQ52
Obviously Pratchett is a huge influence on me so if you like his stuff you might like mine to a slightly lesser degree.

The title is 'lingeria' and it has a guy in boxer shorts on the front, is that a lingerie pun?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

If it's not worth printing on paper, it's not worth reading.

(Sorry, just had to say that because I'm a shithead.)

There's a paperback edition, so you're a fuckwit also.

E: I made my way through the free sample of that book, but when the first obvious spelling mistake is in the first sentence you know a book is not ready for sale. Go back and revise would be my advice. However, I'd be interested to know if the map being an inverted map of Slovenia is a reference to the board game Ethnos. Renowned Tolkien illustrator John Howe did the art, and it's been pointed out that the map of Ethnos he drew is actually Slovenia.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

York_M_Chan posted:

I'll try it out if you change the amazon.ca price as well.