Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Finally, a less expressive and less visually interesting shot-for-shot remake of the Lion King where I can count the number of hairs on the warthog's head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It does look to be, quite bizarrely, shot for shot. What a weird rear end decision.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I have not seen any of the other Disney remakes, are they all shot by shot remakes? Dumbo it looks like at least had some new stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I have not seen any of the other Disney remakes, are they all shot by shot remakes? Dumbo it looks like at least had some new stuff

Dumbo had to add a bunch of new stuff because the original cartoon was barely over an hour.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Beauty and the Beast was a mix of both. Lots of stuff lifted directly from the animated version and just filmed straight, while also fleshing out some characters (like making Maurice an actual character, and exploring his relationship with Belle better), and adding some crazy poo poo (like a teleportation book, which I guess was a gift from the witch who cursed him?).

Oh, and it made one character gay. Kinda.

Cinderella was definitely doing it's own thing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That is what I thought

Also what is it with Disney casting villians that are not villiany.

Jafar and Scar seem poorly cast

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
On the bright side, Timon looks adorable! Though I could just find Meerkat Manor somewhere and rewatch that for the same effect.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looks very pretty but, once again, a trailer with no characters actually talking to eachother... weird choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

They might still be working on the animals talking special effects, so it can't be in much of the trailers yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

clown shoes posted:

Interesting factoid: Mercedes McNab, who plays perky camper Amanda Buckman, played the girl scout in the first movie. I like to think they're the same character.

She also played Harmony Kendall in Buffy, and I like to think they're all the same character.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Deakul posted:

Looks very pretty but, once again, a trailer with no characters actually talking to eachother... weird choice.

That's how it's going to be in the movie. Every time a character opens its mouth to start talking they just cut to a voiceover played over some nature documentary stock footage.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Sincere question: How close to the original does something have to be to be considered "shot-for-shot"? Like, there are clearly a bunch of iconic shots being replicated in that trailer, but there are also plenty of new ones, as well as dialogue that isn't from the original. Is shot-for-shot more an in-spirit kind of thing, where it's clear the creators of the remake had no intention of deviating from it to any large extent?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Toaster Beef posted:

Sincere question: How close to the original does something have to be to be considered "shot-for-shot"? Like, there are clearly a bunch of iconic shots being replicated in that trailer, but there are also plenty of new ones, as well as dialogue that isn't from the original. Is shot-for-shot more an in-spirit kind of thing, where it's clear the creators of the remake had no intention of deviating from it to any large extent?

I was exaggerating a bit for the joke, I'm sure it'll have some original stuff but the individual scenes could be described as "shot-for-shot remakes"

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Deakul posted:

I was apprehensive about the life like animals talking or showing emotion before I watched Jungle Book, and that turned out to be completely fine. I can only imagine that they've improved the method since then.

The Lion King has been in my top 3 of favorite movies ever since I saw the original release at age 6 and this trailer does nothing wrong in my opinion. It plays heavily on nostalgia for the older crowd, but that's a big part of why these movies are being made in the first place. Graphically it's just downright freakishly realistic. At first glance you really wouldn't be able to tell these characters from real lions (with the exception of Scar, probably).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

James Earl Jones is all I needed to hear. :3:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

James Earl Jones is all I needed to hear. :3:

His voice in this was interesting. He's making it sound different than it did before. Like, a little higher.

And I don't just mean because he's older. His Darth Vader in Rogue One sounded the same as usual, just older. Here it's pretty distinct, like he's trying something new.

Maybe I just need to hear it with something with better base than my ear buds.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Using photorealistic CGI to make seemingly-real animals reenact Hamlet just doesn't do anything for me over the much more colorful and lively original.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd be totally into the new Lion King if they didn't have any talking or singing at all. I think it'd be really interesting to see if they could tell the story that way.

I'm nostalgic for the old live action animal adventure movies, so if computers can bring those back, minus the animal cruelty, I'm into it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 10, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deakul posted:

Probably because it's going to look loving strange.

The emotional expressions by the cartoon characters in the original is part of what made it such a classic. A good example of this is the ingenious smugness of Scar in the Be Prepared song - Jeremy Irons has such a distinct and iconic voice, too. So far none of these elements are present in the new trailers.

Imagine this with a photorealistic lion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04

https://twitter.com/alip1118/status/1115973930756583424

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slutitution posted:

Probably because it's going to look loving strange.

The emotional expressions by the cartoon characters in the original is part of what made it such a classic. A good example of this is the ingenious smugness of Scar in the Be Prepared song - Jeremy Irons has such a distinct and iconic voice, too. So far none of these elements are present in the new trailers.

Imagine this with a photorealistic lion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04

https://twitter.com/alip1118/status/1115973930756583424

You'll have to just imagine it. Be Prepared is one of the songs they cut for this version. Which is just unforgivable.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, I didn't even know that. The more I read about this, the more generic it looks.

Goddamn Disney, goddamn...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

thrawn527 posted:

You'll have to just imagine it. Be Prepared is one of the songs they cut for this version. Which is just unforgivable.

Welp.
There goes my interest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Actually, hang on, that's what they originally said when they started production, but I'm seeing something from Feb of this year saying it's back in?

https://geektyrant.com/news/be-prepared-may-be-in-the-lion-king-after-all

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Edit- beat me to it ^

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, hang on, that's what they originally said when they started production, but I'm seeing something from Feb of this year saying it's back in?

But will it still have the obvious nazi imagery?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Unfortunately the hyena's actual skeleton does not lend it's self to goose-stepping" observed a frowning animator.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

So many Pokemons in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=198gzllaumo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TigerXtrm posted:

Graphically it's just downright freakishly realistic. At first glance you really wouldn't be able to tell these characters from real lions (with the exception of Scar, probably).

Can you really not see how this is a loving weird choice, though?

Like, the stylization of the first Lion King is a very large part of why any of it works and makes sense at all. It gets across that the story, rather than intended to be in any way "realistic," is essentially an animal fable or folktale. Photorealistic CGI lions doing musical numbers and having essentially a heraldry dispute is gonna be a whole lot more jarring and strange than stylized hand-animated ones, and that trailer does nothing to disabuse me of this notion.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, but, like, it'll be fine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

how am i gonna know that these lions are DTF if i can't see them make gently caress-faces at each other

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's still gonna make a billion dollars. Probably.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

It has Beyonce in it, singing at least one brand new song and covering one of the more popular songs from the original, in addition to a bunch of other very popular cross genre entertainers in the cast.

It's going to make a billion dollars, weird photorealism be damned.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah the lions are so well done you can see there's nothing goin' on behind those eyes. It's some Homeward Bound poo poo.

What haunts me is that, in all the faces of all the bears that Treadwell ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of nature. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of the bears and this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in food.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The "Morticia lighting" visual gag always gets me, no matter how many times I see it.

Anjelica Huston will always be Morticia to me.

And Raul Julia as Gomez... he was perfection.

Deadpan Christina Ricci as Wednesday was fantastic too.

I mean I love those two movies enough that any attempt at sequels/reboots will always fall short to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

It has Beyonce in it, singing at least one brand new song and covering one of the more popular songs from the original, in addition to a bunch of other very popular cross genre entertainers in the cast.

It's going to make a billion dollars, weird photorealism be damned.

One billion is a given, but I wonder if it'll hit the two billion dollar marker. One billion is no longer note worthy for a blockbuster movie.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Slutitution posted:

The emotional expressions by the cartoon characters in the original is part of what made it such a classic.
Yeah, animated characters being able to express a wider range of emotions is proof that the Pokémon Movie is superior to Godfather and every other realsie movie.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eh! Frank posted:

Yeah, animated characters being able to express a wider range of emotions is proof that the Pokémon Movie is superior to Godfather and every other realsie movie.

I wish there was a cure for willful ignorance like this.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Jesus are they doing two live action Disney remakes a year now?

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Eh! Frank posted:

It's comparing animated animals to real animals not live action humans you dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Daddy Thanos posted:

Jesus are they doing two live action Disney remakes a year now?

Of course not

They’re doing 3 a year (Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King)