Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't believe Marcille is going have to go this far to save her girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Did Senshi just propose that the solution to the whole Farlyn issue would be to just eat her?

And did Laius just agree. :stonk:

Also lovely cat continues being great and lovely. (slightly more great and less lovely this time)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Of-loving-course the solution to the problem is going to be "let's eat it". It's been the point the whole time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If there's a way to eat it there's a way to beat it.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Crying Marcille was great but Page 7 has some really cute content too. Adorable Farlyn window climbing, her breaking Laius' back, and her hitting a walking-mushroom with her staff. Very powerful.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Poor Laius is so wonderfully thick he never realized his incredibly gifted sister gave up everything to protect him. Have we seen Marcille and Laius's first meeting before?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Bad Seafood posted:

If there's a way to eat it there's a way to beat it.
You beat it by eating it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor Farlyn has always been surrounded by idiots

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Don't think for a second that Farlyn wouldn't be incredibly into this plan too

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Fantastic chapter jam-packed with little details -

Oni girl's quadruple-stuffed rice bowl

Farlyn and Laius sharing lots of traits but expressing them in different ways

Cat being a cat

Senshi's weird but also sorta plausible food-based theory of soul mixing

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Don't think for a second that Farlyn wouldn't be incredibly into this plan too

True but also worried that Creepy Elf Squad is going to be very, very, not into it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

HouseofGlass posted:

Chilchack says he's about to turn 29 in chapter 13. I forget if Laius has ever given his age, but he's younger than Chilchack for sure since he reacts to that fact by showing deference.

Lauis looks like a older teenager in his table view, eating with Farlyn. If the other views represent where everyone was at the same time period in the past, Chilchack’s view might be the family he abandoned?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh my god I just got to the part where Laius murders Marcille's kid.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Well Farlyn did want to share a meal with her best friend.....

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
My favorite part is how much of an idiot Laius is lol. "Oh and Kabru. He seemed interested in eating monsters"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Lots of good stuff this chapter, and Senshi's cooking Analogy makes sense. The metaphoric act of consumption is taking something and making it part of yourself, overwriting it's own identity.
I'm also thinking that this will be the real solution to the dungeon vis a vis who gets to control/own it: everyone who partakes of the dungeon and thus takes it into themselves :v:

Squidster posted:

Poor Laius is so wonderfully thick he never realized his incredibly gifted sister gave up everything to protect him. Have we seen Marcille and Laius's first meeting before?

That small center panel in the "and that continued until the present day" is pretty much it. The gist is pretty easy to get that Marcille got rather concerned when Farlyn skipped out to help Laius and tracked her down and was rather upset before tagging along.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
That one set of panels with Farlyn eating by herself as the seasons changed was unreasonably, intensely sad. :( Hit me right in the feels.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Artificer posted:

Oh my god I just got to the part where Laius murders Marcille's kid.

It took me a minute to remember when this happened

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
laius and farlyn are both eccentric misfits. farlyn was talented enough at magic that she could still find a place for herself, but laius' peculiar interests weren't accompanied by any special talent. well, useful talent. the man is a master at dog impressions.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Mary Annette posted:

True but also worried that Creepy Elf Squad is going to be very, very, not into it.

The b-team is already heading into a situation they know the elves are going to be mad about, and yet somehow it's gotten so much worse since they last saw Laius. Basically everyone's going to try to kill him in a few chapters.

edit: also, we've seen the body fat on some of those elves, and i don't think they're going to be packing away half a ton of dragon ham in any event

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 16, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DrSunshine posted:

That one set of panels with Farlyn eating by herself as the seasons changed was unreasonably, intensely sad. :( Hit me right in the feels.

"I hated how everyone was treating my sister, so I abandoned her for a year."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mirage posted:

"I hated how everyone was treating my sister, so I abandoned her for a year."

It’s kind of a lovely thing to do, but it feels like a thing a teen would do

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, he literally says he's not as emotionally strong as her and doesn't know how she can handle the constant harassment, doesn't surprise me he fled

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I mean, their parents probably cared for her, albeit from a distance? Presumably they paid to send her to school, and they're still keeping written correspondence with her.

IIRC Laius and Farlyn are minor nobility, so it seems more likely the villagers and servants were isolating her, which seems to be the case in Laius' flashback. He probably left as soon as he was able to, when he was of age, but taking his sister with him would've been irresponsible. Could you honestly see an 18-year-old Laius taking care of his 17-year-old sister (or 16/15, whatever the standard)? He probably knew he couldn't take her along, or maybe he was also an outcast (for being a huge weirdo) and left for his own reasons.

It reads poorly at first blush but, thinking about it, there's a some charitable context that isn't a stretch.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

I mean, their parents probably cared for her, albeit from a distance? Presumably they paid to send her to school, and they're still keeping written correspondence with her.

IIRC Laius and Farlyn are minor nobility, so it seems more likely the villagers and servants were isolating her, which seems to be the case in Laius' flashback. He probably left as soon as he was able to, when he was of age, but taking his sister with him would've been irresponsible. Could you honestly see an 18-year-old Laius taking care of his 17-year-old sister (or 16/15, whatever the standard)? He probably knew he couldn't take her along, or maybe he was also an outcast (for being a huge weirdo) and left for his own reasons.

It reads poorly at first blush but, thinking about it, there's a some charitable context that isn't a stretch.

he also literally left to join the military so he couldn't take her and he had no desire to stay in his village.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, that also.

But who knows how long his stint in the service lasted. Even after getting drummed out (or deserting), there were likely other reasons he didn't come back for her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, that also.

But who knows how long his stint in the service lasted. Even after getting drummed out (or deserting), there were likely other reasons he didn't come back for her.

Well, it sounds like by the time he left the military she was already living in the dorms of the magic academy, and he probably assumed she'd be happier there. At the very least it's unlikely they'd be discriminating against magic-users there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Don't forget from a previous chapter that Farlyn wrote him letters so he did keep in contact.

Much like how she kept in contact with their parents :v:

Farlyn: thoughtful to a fault.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wow this comic is good. It's my first time reading a manga that wasn't written by Junji Ito, but I marathoned it over the weekend, and now I need to track down the authors' other series. I'm amazed at how readable it is; the art style is so clear and the translation is really good, so I never get lost like I do in a few other manga I've tried.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lester Shy posted:

Wow this comic is good. It's my first time reading a manga that wasn't written by Junji Ito, but I marathoned it over the weekend, and now I need to track down the authors' other series. I'm amazed at how readable it is; the art style is so clear and the translation is really good, so I never get lost like I do in a few other manga I've tried.

Its just Extremely Dang Good In Every Aspect. Its EDGIEA

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Lester Shy posted:

I need to track down the authors' other series.

All her other stuff is short stories in collections, but they all are extremely high quality:

https://mangadex.org/title/18937/the-dragon-s-school-is-on-the-top-of-the-mountain

https://mangadex.org/title/13858/terrarium-in-drawer

https://mangadex.org/title/10172/seven-little-sons-of-the-dragon

https://mangadex.org/title/21409/children

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hadn't read the dragon school one, meaning both the anthology and that particular story. it was a really good chapter.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Chapter
Plans upon plans, schemes on schemes. Those elves are bad rear end and this dungeon is more insidious than it first appears.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Was just about to post it. I love these elves, second best elves in a manga.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Was just about to post it. I love these elves, second best elves in a manga.

Who's #1?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The nonstandard use of 'teleport' here reminds me of Marcille's nonstandard use of Water Walk on the Kraken long ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The chubby ones, obviously

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I adore the tonal whiplash so much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i love her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
holy poo poo

edit: I just can't believe how consistently amazing this is - I completely did not expect the melee teleportation attack so the reveal page was thoroughly effective on me.