Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Magos goes after Ravenor but before Pariah.

Goes after pariah I'm it spoils too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And Pariah is the first book in the third trilogy that he just hasn't gone back to yet?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zasze posted:

Goes after pariah I'm it spoils too much.

Yeah, you could do it either way. Going into Pariah after Magos puts you in the wrong position compared to where Beta is.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And Pariah is the first book in the third trilogy that he just hasn't gone back to yet?

Correct. He's working on the second one (on the usual Abnett timeline.)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Finally finished The Buried Dagger. It's... not great at all. The first half was actually so poorly written it was difficult to read. The last 20% or so was almost interesting but the battle scenes were poorly done and I dunno what the gently caress they're gonna do for Mortarion's primarch book now cuz this one totally stole his origin story and made him look like a total dweeb.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've started re-reading the Inquisition War trilogy again. I love how Ian Watson acknowledges the abrupt ending of the final book, and that he should probably go back and write a fourth book to finish it off, but eeeeeeeh.

I also forgot how Jaq is portrayed as a type of Inquisitor that you never really see now, one who is actually breaking down mentally from all the poo poo they do. He's not turning heretical to fight Chaos with Chaos, he's just wanting to know if it's all worth the cost. Yeah, calling Exterminatus is removing one planet of tens of thousands, but it's still a planet full of people.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Finally finished The Buried Dagger. It's... not great at all. The first half was actually so poorly written it was difficult to read. The last 20% or so was almost interesting but the battle scenes were poorly done and I dunno what the gently caress they're gonna do for Mortarion's primarch book now cuz this one totally stole his origin story and made him look like a total dweeb.

Agreed. Read it last week. It's bad. A real damp squib on which to finish the HH series. The thing is, it's not phoned in. Swallow is trying to do a good book, but God help him he's just not a very good writer.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 5, 2019

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Agreed. Read it last week. It's bad. A real damp squib on which to finish the HH series. The thing is, it's not phoned in. Swallow is trying to do a good book, but God help him he's just not a very good writer.

Thirding this opinion. The plots on Terra are absolutely pointless and the fall of Mortarion seems to be just inevitable (yes, we know it is, but make it seem just a little bit more of a choice). Typhon's plan has all the cunning of a sledgehammer and the reliance of Mortarion on his pet daemon as a backup is so idiotic that it deserves a mention in the "how to make a demigod seem dumb as a rock" category. Also, his whole backstory starts interestingly, but ends up as a big disappointment. The book is not Nemesis or Furious Abyss level, but I would have left the last book to be either Titandeath or Slaves to Darkness.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The buried dagger is a mess and after reading it I still don't get Mortarion at all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Angry Lobster posted:

The buried dagger is a mess and after reading it I still don't get Mortarion at all.

He huffs his own farts, that's all you really need to know. Later he huffs daemon farts I guess

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

A smurf, but still well done:

https://www.pcgamer.com/check-out-this-primaris-space-marine-cosplay/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Still not as good as Pilerud's Blood Angel cosplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MyaE1vwtyk

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I remember the first time I saw that costume was before he added the modular bits, and it was at some con. There's a cosplay parade and some dude comes out all smug as gently caress in an Iron Man suit. He's grown the beard and everything, looks badass with his light up repulsor beams, the room goes wild.

And then Pilerud just walks out behind him and :aaaaa:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well I guess that's it for Death Guard then. Is there any other legion that was as shafted through the series when it came to attention?

Eisenstein wasnt really Death Guard centric like Fulgrim was for the EC, and the legion never really got their own focus book until the Buried Dagger, which man that author choice was disappointing when Black Library has an author who has been knocking Death Guard out of the park. All that's left is Mortarion being the whiny primarch when required, the White Scars novels featuring them as a villain and a short story.

Am I wrong in this?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Is the buried dagger a heresy era book or girlyman era?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So the eBook version of "spears of the emperor" is now available on blacklibrary.com! In french and german...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Miguel Prado posted:

So the eBook version of "spears of the emperor" is now available on blacklibrary.com! In french and german...

Geil!

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

tarbrush posted:

Is the buried dagger a heresy era book or girlyman era?

Heresy! Last book before the traitors arrive in the sol system

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

jadebullet posted:

Well I guess that's it for Death Guard then. Is there any other legion that was as shafted through the series when it came to attention?

Maybe the Night Lords as a legion rather than the Curze & Sevatar Show.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I just want ADB to do the Night Lords pt 2

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Would that be with Decimus leading them? Because if so, I'm all on-board for that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gibfender posted:

Maybe the Night Lords as a legion rather than the Curze & Sevatar Show.

The Night Lords as a legion aren't that interesting. They're a bunch of superpowered gangsters following Batman.
Wait nevermind that's rad.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I just finished The Wicked and the Damned after finishing Malediction. Malediction was decent, some of the stories we're great some of them were eh, but goddamn I really enjoyed The Wicked and the Damned.

Even the good Malediction stories I'm not sure I would call horror. They were more in line with the typical grimdark 40k stuff. The Wicked and the Damned was real horror though and really surprised me considering those authors are usually middle of the road. I highly recommend it.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009

D-Pad posted:

So I just finished The Wicked and the Damned after finishing Malediction. Malediction was decent, some of the stories we're great some of them were eh, but goddamn I really enjoyed The Wicked and the Damned.

Even the good Malediction stories I'm not sure I would call horror. They were more in line with the typical grimdark 40k stuff. The Wicked and the Damned was real horror though and really surprised me considering those authors are usually middle of the road. I highly recommend it.

This is good to know. I agree that Malediction isn't really horror because the Warhammer universes are already grimdark. My buddy grabbed Wicked and the Damned so I'll have to get him to finish it so we can swap soon.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

god i'm so loving hyped. andy clark writes AoS incredibly well, so this promises to be spectacular

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Plavski posted:

god i'm so loving hyped. andy clark writes AoS incredibly well, so this promises to be spectacular

Yeah but how are not more excited to the sequel to Carrion Throne?!?!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Plavski posted:

I just cannot unsee a possible Doom reference going on in that cover.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Oh my gooooooooooooooo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

D-Pad posted:

yo that's sick

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

D-Pad posted:

ahhhhhhhhh

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Angry Lobster posted:

I just cannot unsee a possible Doom reference going on in that cover.

What are you seeing?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Probably the whole "guy sitting atop a mound while others cluster around it" aesthetic that the original Doom box art had:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also the gobbo looking at us.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Whose the other marine on the cover of doom. There are back stories for z tier star wars characters, don't tell me second marine doesnt have a name

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Waroduce posted:

Whose the other marine on the cover of doom. There are back stories for z tier star wars characters, don't tell me second marine doesnt have a name

Steve

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Canonically it's John Stalvern.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Looks like audible are having an unannounced 40% off deal of all black library titles: https://www.audible.co.uk/search?se...0H5YXWT6NX1RDPY

Update: It's up to 40% off everything

Plavski fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 15, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Carrion Throne a dark imperium era novel?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It’s immediately before, so rowboat isn’t up and about yet but boy howdy there sure is something happening under the palace!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Preechr posted:

It’s immediately before, so rowboat isn’t up and about yet but boy howdy there sure is something happening under the palace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What if Doomslayer was one of the lost Primarchs and Big E just hosed up by locking him away because he was going on too much about demons and threatened to give the whole Imperial Truth game away :thunk: