Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

That rear end auger looks unsafe.

For one thing, it lacks a flared base.

Tools - Toys for grownups (Make love when you screw.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pretty easy to make your own. I posted this in the woodworking thread a while ago, and it's basically a homemade copy of the Kreg ones (which are good if you want a router table the works and does everything it is supposed to do). The fences lately seem to have come out of alignment or something and I think I might have been better off to have made it out of baltic birch plywood or something stiffer than MDF.

Looking at your design, can you clarify why you've made the fences slide left and right? I'm not sure why a wider bit matters.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The fences should as close to the bit as possible to support the work, especially for small, thin pieces. It also helps with my ice cream tub dust collection rig. Sometimes I use 1/4" bits for small profiles and sometimes I use big ole 2.5" bits for larger stuff so the sliding fences let you adjust. If you're mostly running larger mouldings its probably not really necessary.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The fences should as close to the bit as possible to support the work, especially for small, thin pieces. It also helps with my ice cream tub dust collection rig. Sometimes I use 1/4" bits for small profiles and sometimes I use big ole 2.5" bits for larger stuff so the sliding fences let you adjust. If you're mostly running larger mouldings its probably not really necessary.

Gotcha. Could be added later I guess if needed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been faffing about over the purchase of a table saw for, what, a year? Instead of continuing to deliberate I cut my holiday 2 days shorter which more than covers the cost of a DeWalt DW745. I went for a high-end job site saw rather than a low-end cabinet saw because it seemed like a better return on investment and flexibility for keeping the dang thing around the place.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, I'm probably going to have to return it, because it arrived with a single plastic knob snapped off and Amazon doesn't really understand the concept of warranty parts replacement outside of "return it and we'll feed it back into the system".

I'm working on contacting a nearby dewalt service center but they seem to be a little lovely about being contactable.

I knew I was in for trouble when I pulled it out of the box and two small pieces of plastic and a screw fell out. I still haven't figured out where the screw came from.

Jaded Burnout posted:

After quite a while going round in circles on dewalt's website and with various "premier" service centers here, I finally found someone willing to even engage with me on whether it's possible to replace a single plastic part under warranty. If he comes through on it guess where I'll be buying my kit from in future.

Took me 2 weeks to get a service center to call me back at which point they tell me that they can't just send me the part, I have to take the whole table in, which is a 3 hour round trip. I'm not really impressed with this sort of garbage turnaround time if I actually needed to use the thing every day.

So I'm just going to repair and/or replace the part myself.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jaded Burnout posted:

Took me 2 weeks to get a service center to call me back at which point they tell me that they can't just send me the part, I have to take the whole table in, which is a 3 hour round trip. I'm not really impressed with this sort of garbage turnaround time if I actually needed to use the thing every day.

Remind me not to buy large tool on Amazon.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

Dang that blows. Did you ever figure out what its for?

edit: the parts that fell off

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 8, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

already suggested a fix: buy the same model of tool at lowes/HD and put the broken one in the box and take it back.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hubis posted:

Remind me not to buy large tool on Amazon.

Yeah, I mean I could return the whole thing at Amazon but :effort:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Dang that blows. Did you ever figure out what its for?

It's a plastic knob for fine adjustment of the fence. I tried superglue but it wasn't happening, I'll try sugru when I mix some up for patching the front door.

Since I'm looking at building it into a worktable I'll probably need to build an extended version anyway so it's easier to reach. I could remake it with a piece of dowel and a drill.

BraveUlysses posted:

already suggested a fix: buy the same model of tool at lowes/HD and put the broken one in the box and take it back.

This would be B&Q/Wickes/Homebase for me and none of them stock it. I wouldn't want to do that to a smaller shop, and feel a bit skeevy about it even for a big box store.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Know anyone with a 3d printer? A broken appliance knob is just the sort of thing you can model and print with relative ease.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247565

This the knob?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's a plastic knob for fine adjustment of the fence. I tried superglue but it wasn't happening, I'll try sugru when I mix some up for patching the front door.

I totally get this is becoming a matter of principle more than anything else, but if I’ve got the right one, the knob is like $4 from these guys. Might be time to call it a day, and pony up the $4.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/search_result.php?search_in_description=1&search_type=1&keywords=Dw745

Specifically: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/fence-knob-p-91081.html

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looks like a compatible one, yes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bought a Makita router, opened the box, immediately regretted it.

1. It's not a body-only purchase but it doesn't come with a battery. This is on me for not reading the description properly but I'm still not into spending another £100 on a battery and a charger.
2. It looks like from the factory the unit is just bouncing around in the case with barely any protection and it shows.
3. Not keen on the depth adjustment controls.

Gonna return it and buy something else, but do a better job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:hfive:
Where'd you get yours? I ordered from amazon.

Shipped out of the west coast, so I just finally got it today. Holy CRAP this is nice. It's such a huge set up from the non-cartridge ones, and the grip-to-tip distance took me about 5 seconds to get used to and it's better and easier to work with in every way. I also like that the lead on the iron is much longer than my old one since I keep it off to one side of my workbench. I'm looking forward to the next broken thing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Bought a Makita router, opened the box, immediately regretted it.

1. It's not a body-only purchase but it doesn't come with a battery. This is on me for not reading the description properly but I'm still not into spending another £100 on a battery and a charger.
2. It looks like from the factory the unit is just bouncing around in the case with barely any protection and it shows.
3. Not keen on the depth adjustment controls.

Gonna return it and buy something else, but do a better job.

Get a corded one unless all you intend to do is boutique router jobs. That's a shop tool I can't ever envision a battery type being worthwhile, but their AC plunge type are loving beasts.

Motronic posted:

Shipped out of the west coast, so I just finally got it today. Holy CRAP this is nice. It's such a huge set up from the non-cartridge ones, and the grip-to-tip distance took me about 5 seconds to get used to and it's better and easier to work with in every way. I also like that the lead on the iron is much longer than my old one since I keep it off to one side of my workbench. I'm looking forward to the next broken thing.

Gat dang, that's pretty.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Get a corded one unless all you intend to do is boutique router jobs. That's a shop tool I can't ever envision a battery type being worthwhile, but their AC plunge type are loving beasts.

The only use case I can think of where cordless could maybe be helpful there is when I was trimming structural sheathing to fit the skylight openings in my workshop. Basically sticking a panel pilot bit through 3/4" plywood and running it along the inside edge of the window rough opening. I did it with a corded but taking a corded router up a ladder is maybe not the most fun time.

That said, I'm not sure a cordless router would last long trying to chew a 1/2" "kerf" through 3/4" plywood.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

3rding the get a corded router. There is no reason to get cordless.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This I have done

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

JEEVES420 posted:

3rding the get a corded router. There is no reason to get cordless.

Well, not as a your only router. I have a cordless trim router that's always just set up with a round over or chamfered bit. It's nice not having to deal with a cord for quick edge treatment.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

dyne posted:

Well, not as a your only router. I have a cordless trim router that's always just set up with a round over or chamfered bit. It's nice not having to deal with a cord for quick edge treatment.

Yeah, I could see having a cordless router as one of the 4-6 routers you will eventually acquire.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

As a retail minion, you're an rear end in a top hat. I think you have the right idea, but you're still an rear end in a top hat. I would really like this if and only if Lowes/HD marked down the damaged merchandise and then I purchased it and 3D printed a new knob.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

dyne posted:

My trim router is corded but I am :corsair: and have always used corded power tools so I don't get the need for cordless (except drill/drivers). I have the same feelings about lawn equipment; cordless? Stick a motor on it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

I have the same feelings about lawn equipment; cordless? Stick a motor on it.

Battery lawnmowers, sure, maybe if you have a postage stamp for a yard, but battery weed wacker and blower (for basic blowing, not fall leaf duty) are freaking awesome. I probably use my cordless blower at least once a day in the outdoor months, because it's super easy to grab and clean off the porch or blow crap out of the garage. I'm not firing up the backpack blower for that.

Most other tools, I agree. I've never needed to do a couple quick cuts with a battery circular saw or something. Most of those battery operated circular saws are so weak/small blade anyway that I'd rather grab a hand saw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just got my cordless Makita trimmer today and took it out for a spin. It's so much nicer than having to trail a cord behind me (and I have no interest in ICE-powered trimmers). With two 5Ah batteries it has more than enough juice to handle my badly-overgrown yard. And it's actually tall enough that I don't have to ruin my back using the thing, unlike past corded trimmers I've tried.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

After struggling to keep my snowblower running all winter I vowed I’m never buying anything with a gas engine in it again. Electric snowblowers don’t get great reviews online but they HAVE to be better than loving around with a lovely carb in your garage for 30 minutes when it’s 5 degrees out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

As a retail minion, you're an rear end in a top hat. I think you have the right idea, but you're still an rear end in a top hat. I would really like this if and only if Lowes/HD marked down the damaged merchandise and then I purchased it and 3D printed a new knob.

look i dont like the idea and i dont want anyone at any store to bear any bullshit from stuff like this but the path of least resistance is...

keep in mind ive never actually done this but i'm just pretty sure you could get away with it because the return policies are decent at HD/blowes

big box stores are just gonna send it back and blame the vendor

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I had something under warranty I purchased at Home Depot fail, and when I called to see about an RMA replacement they straight up told me to just return it to Home Depot.

The Home Depot folks just gave me a new one and shoved the old one in a box and slapped a sticker on it. I’m guessing it gets sorted out later

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stupid puma posted:

After struggling to keep my snowblower running all winter I vowed I’m never buying anything with a gas engine in it again. Electric snowblowers don’t get great reviews online but they HAVE to be better than loving around with a lovely carb in your garage for 30 minutes when it’s 5 degrees out.

Use better fuel.

TruFuel or any of the "synthetics".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why? Big box store like Lowes or HD just pushes the return back onto the manufacturer who is the ultimately responsible party for the defective tool anyway.

Don't do it to mom and pop real tool store because their suppliers probably skewer them on RMA.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

Use better fuel.

TruFuel or any of the "synthetics".

The carb was totally rebuilt a year or two ago and I’ve used canned fuel (TruFuel or similar) since but it seems like every now and then I need to spray some cleaner in the carb and after that it starts right up for 3 or 4 or 5 times until it doesn’t. I’m wondering if I somehow have a lemon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's not normal. There is something (else) wrong with it and I would not use it as an example of how gas snowblowers that are properly maintained typically operate.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

You might want to try a whole new carb. They're typically pretty cheap (<$50) if your engine is fairly common.

I agree with Motronic that your experience is not typical. The small 2-smokes (e.g. weedwackers) are notoriously finicky, especially with poo poo ethanol fuel, but the larger (5+ HP) 4 strokes should rarely give you much trouble. Run it until it's out of gas before putting it away, and always use gas that isn't more than 30 days old. Maybe splash some fuel treatment in your gas can, but that's probably mostly placebo if you don't let the gas sit for months.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

The small 2-smokes (e.g. weedwackers) are notoriously finicky, especially with poo poo ethanol fuel,

All of my small poo poo "just works" since I started using trufuel or similar, and after replacing carbs form when I was running regular fuel with stabil in it.

I just had the "worst" recent experience getting a small engine started a few days ago - a friend wanted to borrow a small tiller that I hadn't run for 2 years. I had to pull it about 6 times, decided I was tired of doing that to I gave it a 1/2 second blast of starting fluid, pulled it once more and it started, bogged a bit, then began idling properly.

Also, on the rebuild kit vs carb thing: the rebuild kit for that tiller cost more than the carb I bought (3 years ago), and was so dead nuts on I didn't even have to adjust it. I just bolted it on and everything was right.

Small engines are largely fuel dependent. I wish I had known this earlier in my life, but all of my small engines were run constantly on fresh fuel (landscaper, then fire department) so it never really came up until I started with the joe homeowner poo poo that rarely gets used.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I've never used them but I always assumed small engines were pieces of poo poo because you can't drive through a small town in Texas without passing 15 small engine repair shops.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bobua posted:

I've never used them but I always assumed small engines were pieces of poo poo because you can't drive through a small town in Texas without passing 15 small engine repair shops.

That's more of a commentary on being dead simple to repair and people being to lazy to care for and fix their own poo poo.

They are far from as maintenance free as an electric motor, but hardly onerous to keep in good condition.

The day we have batteries that make the electric versions of things not the substandard version I'm 100% onboard. We have not gotten there with a lot of stuff yet. Some, but much of the batter operated devices are heavy with "as long as your yard is no bigger than X, as long as you don't need to actually use this thing for Y" with both X and Y being extremely common things that any of the less expensive and cheapest versions of their gas counterparts do just fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Small engines are hilariously unreliable when they’re put in a shed for six months and run an hour a week for the rest of the year.

I’d be interested in seeing statistics from professional landscaping crews on how they fare with their duty cycle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Small engines are hilariously unreliable when they’re put in a shed for six months and run an hour a week for the rest of the year.

Have you read the posts above this where I'm discussing this very thing?

Platystemon posted:

I’d be interested in seeing statistics from professional landscaping crews on how they fare with their duty cycle.

Much higher than joe homeowner junk that's being improperly stored with bad fuel.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Not as cheap as when Lowe's was clearancing them out but still just dropped. Are these any good? Tight on space in my garage so the folding is pretty appealing, but not sure at what cost that comes.

PORTER-CABLE 10-in 15-Amp Single Bevel Laser Folding Compound Miter Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07839S471/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uLMTCbWEPP3DR

*Edit* Just saw the cheaper price was on $20 shipping. Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

Not as cheap as when Lowe's was clearancing them out but still just dropped. Are these any good? Tight on space in my garage so the folding is pretty appealing, but not sure at what cost that comes.

PORTER-CABLE 10-in 15-Amp Single Bevel Laser Folding Compound Miter Saw https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07839S471/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uLMTCbWEPP3DR

*Edit* Just saw the cheaper price was on $20 shipping. Bleh.

How much space is it actually saving? I don't know anything about that model but it feels like it wouldn't hold angles, in the long run, with unnecessary folding points.