Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
tbf Arya doesn't know that many people. Drunk soldier, Westeros rowing champion, guy who's banging his aunt and that's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
The big Deus Ex That Saves The Day better be Shagga and the hill tribesmen. And have them ride in on the Skagos unicorns for some reason.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Still pretty impressed with how dumb Sansa is.

There's a battle with a million zombies heading your way and you want to send away the shitzillion ultra-soldiers, the shitzillion psycho barbarian cavalry, and the two dragons because, what, your plan is to just have lots of food and WAIT OUT the army of the DEAD, who have patiently waited 8000 years to gently caress you up?

Jesus Christ, Sansa is the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

lol for real, like everyone there is pretty much onboard with the whole fighting a giant zombie army thing which means they'll probably get over it but Sansa is like actively goading them all into breaking up because of some titles bullshit.

Dany is pretty stupid too because there's absolutely no reason she couldn't just make a deal with Jon saying if she comes and fights with them, which she's gonna do anyway now that she's seen the situation firsthand, and proves herself and her intentions to the Northerners that he will Bend Dat Knee. I'm sure they still wouldn't be happy but I mean, that's an even better situation than the one that the Ned and the previous Starks kowtowed for so it'd probably end up fine, as opposed to just rolling in pre-fight and being like "hello everyone, I own you, lets do this"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 17, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's a battle with a million zombies heading your way and you want to send away the shitzillion ultra-soldiers, the shitzillion psycho barbarian cavalry, and the two dragons because, what, your plan is to just have lots of food and WAIT OUT the army of the DEAD, who have patiently waited 8000 years to gently caress you up?

In theory she has a few decent points:

1) Jon could have probably at least temporarily kept his King in the North status and still swayed Dany to the battle, gaining the massive reinforcements while also keeping the northerners happy and on their side. This is essentially the same problem he ran into while trying to recruit the Lannisters, he is both Ned Starks honorable son while being as impulsive as Robb was when he met a pretty girl.

2) They do need to take care of practicalities like feeding the big rear end army and dragons and this is probably something that shouldn't be overlooked entirely while giving apocalyptic speeches.

The biggest problem the show has had for awhile is that melodrama is elevated well above characters who are believably intelligent. It's been the biggest problem with Tyrion for a long while now. Effectively the plot of these scenes was that Sansa has been running poo poo in Winterfell while Jon has been off on his grand adventure and she wants to convey that you still gotta pay the bills and poo poo, while Jon is trying to convey that there is super big "survival of species" picture stuff going on. This is actually a pretty decent framework for a compelling storyline, but they have to frame it like the Kardashians are bickering again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
But, also, the mega-army is fighting the dead army.

If you lose, food won't matter because you're a zombie now.

If you win, food won't matter because the dragon army is then heading south.

If Jon didn't surrender his title everyone would die from zombieosis and then die again when the dragon lady burned their shambling corpses.

Every word out of Sansa's mouth deserves Jon pinching the bridge of his nose and saying "Jesus Christ, Sansa, what don't you get about the million dead people coming to tear our flesh off and make Ed Gein art with our bones?"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
100% certain that GRRM's notes said "Sansa becomes brilliant strategist" and D&D are such awful writers that this garbage is all they could come up with.

"Have her say something and then everyone else say she's smart. Boom. Done. Character arc over. Now, let's give Bronn a scene so we can show some prostie tits."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Food will theoretically matter during the fight with the zombie army so that your soldiers aren't starving to death.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

100% certain that GRRM's notes said "Sansa becomes brilliant strategist" and D&D are such awful writers that this garbage is all they could come up with.

"Have her say something and then everyone else say she's smart. Boom. Done. Character arc over. Now, let's give Bronn a scene so we can show some prostie tits."

GRRM wouldn't have pulled it off either, and you know it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

100% certain that GRRM's notes said "Sansa becomes brilliant strategist" and D&D are such awful writers that this garbage is all they could come up with

absolutely

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah definitely agreed

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Katt posted:

Sansa did like one not dumb thing ever and that was to have Balish executed. I was amazed at how not dumb that was.

And it's been back down hill after that. Aryas "she's the smartest person I know" makes no sense at all.

Arya actually fell for the Baelish plot last season while Sansa figured it out, so Arya is so dumb in the show, to her, Sansa is a genius.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

some guy on the bus posted:

Arya actually fell for the Baelish plot last season while Sansa figured it out, so Arya is so dumb in the show, to her, Sansa is a genius.

I think the show wants you to mentally retcon the scenes where they talk about it to eachother and assume they were both in on it the whole time after Baelish planted the scroll for Arya to find. Again, bad writing but it probably works for most folks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Guy A. Person posted:

Food will theoretically matter during the fight with the zombie army so that your soldiers aren't starving to death.

But they were talking at the level of winter lasting years, so how big is Dany's army where that depletes the supply by next week when the zombies show up?

And, follow-up, if her army is bigger than yours, to the point where YEARS of your army's food won't feed hers for a week, why the gently caress would you want to turn them against you?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What were they planning to do for food before they got to Winterfell? Conquer the Vale? They're working with you all now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Given that neither grrm or D&D have any grasp on scale, they'll probably capture a single Lannister granary and it'll solve the problem forever

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the show wants you to mentally retcon the scenes where they talk about it to eachother and assume they were both in on it the whole time after Baelish planted the scroll for Arya to find. Again, bad writing but it probably works for most folks.

Among the worst writing in the show either way but what makes you think they wanted us to retcon it? The story in the last episode last season was that Sansa figured it out by LF telling her "Imagine the worse thing a person can do" The show had her repeating that line before they killed LF, throwing it in his face, telling us it was how she figured it out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

But they were talking at the level of winter lasting years, so how big is Dany's army where that depletes the supply by next week when the zombies show up?

And, follow-up, if her army is bigger than yours, to the point where YEARS of your army's food won't feed hers for a week, why the gently caress would you want to turn them against you?

I'm not talking about them exhausting a year's* supply of food within a week, I am assuming that a war against a massive undead army numbering in the hundreds of thousands is going to take weeks or months or even years. Like with meta-knowledge of the show we know it will probably be over after one big battle when Jon stabs the Night King with Lightbringer. But assuming this is a protracted engagement, quadrupling the amount of people quadruples your resource consumption.

Also "let's stop and think about how we are going to feed this huge army" isn't at all equivalent to "let's turn them away and instantly turn them into our mortal enemies". I don't think Sansa ever advocated for that position?

My overall point is that setting up a contrast of "big picture" vs "practicalities of day to day life" makes sense and could be a good conflict, they just hosed it up by making it dumb and melodramatic. I am not arguing for Sansa's position since her approach was to be pouty and mean to a Dragon Queen, I'm just saying in theory worrying about practicalities isn't automatically a stupid thing.

*I may be misremembering but I thought Sansa's discussion with one of Bronze Yohn Royce indicated they had enough food to last the people currently in Winterfell for a year...that may have been one of the last episodes from the previous season because I was watching the replay right beforehand

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Among the worst writing in the show either way but what makes you think they wanted us to retcon it? The story in the last episode last season was that Sansa figured it out by LF telling her "Imagine the worse thing a person can do" The show had her repeating that line before they killed LF, throwing it in his face, telling us it was how she figured it out.

The thing that makes me think that's what they want people to think is that the stuff that Arya is (supposedly) pissed off about isn't really absolved just by LF being a shithead who wants her to be pissed off about it.

The idea that she's mad about Sansas letter at all and doesn't recognize that Sansa is 100% writing that letter and attending Ned's sentencing was done under duress already doesn't make much sense in the first place. And the turnaround on her part feels like it's implying something like "aha, she was never REALLY mad at Sansa, she's smarter than that and they were working together the whole time were just maneuvering LF into this situation where he could be accused in front of everyone and couldn't flee the sentencing".

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense that she's left those issues behind just because LF gets ganked.

In reality I think it's just a poorly written muddling of the two situations with both of them having "wait...but..." issues hanging no matter which one is right.

if she was in on it then it's stupid to have scenes where they're alone and talking to eachother like they're mad at eachother.

if she's not in on it then it's stupid that she forgives Sansa for her bullshit just because it turns out the person who alerted her to it is an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I feel like the former explanation makes more emotional sense for the show because erasing the enmity between Arya and Sansa AND killing LF in one stroke is very cathartic and probably worth retroactively making a few scenes into nonsense.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 17, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing that makes me think that's what they want people to think is that the stuff that Arya is (supposedly) pissed off about isn't really absolved just by LF being a shithead who wants her to be pissed off about it.

The idea that she's mad about Sansas letter at all and doesn't recognize that Sansa is 100% writing that letter and attending Ned's sentencing was done under duress already doesn't make much sense in the first place. And the turnaround on her part feels like it's implying something like "aha, she was never REALLY mad at Sansa, she's smarter than that and they were working together the whole time were just maneuvering LF into this situation where he could be accused in front of everyone and couldn't flee the sentencing".

Otherwise it doesn't make much sense that she's left those issues behind just because LF gets ganked.

In reality I think it's just a poorly written muddling of the two situations with both of them having "wait...but..." issues hanging no matter which one is right.

if she was in on it then it's stupid to have scenes where they're alone and talking to eachother like they're mad at eachother.

if she's not in on it then it's stupid that she forgives Sansa for her bullshit just because it turns out the person who alerted her to it is an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I feel like the former explanation makes more emotional sense for the show because erasing the enmity between Arya and Sansa AND killing LF in one stroke is very cathartic and probably worth retroactively making a few scenes into nonsense.

I felt it the same way

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

she hasnt watched the show, unlike u!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hogge Wild posted:

she hasnt watched the show, unlike u!

Counterpoint: they're sitting next to Bran who already knows the ending, unlike us

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Counterpoint: they're sitting next to Bran who already knows the ending, unlike us

That explains why he looks disappointed all the time

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This year, A Glistening Hodor is a writer on the show

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

always in favor of a goon gettin them SWG union bennies

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ginette Reno posted:

This year, A Glistening Hodor is a writer on the show

You'll know when I'm an HBO writer when HBO beats Starz in the number of dicks on screen in any given season.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

You'll know when I'm an HBO writer when HBO beats Starz in the number of dicks on screen in any given season.

just an endless torrent of dicks flying at the screen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TK-42-1 posted:

just an endless torrent of dicks flying at the screen.

That's actually verbatim the script for Spartacus.

I'd spice it up a little by adding 20% more huge throbbing meaty dongs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
wtf is that thing Arya drew for Gendry some sort of spear gun?

Also I feel like a complete moron for not seeing that Gendry would eventually end up as the mastercrafter of obsidian weapons

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's just it, it's stupid and makes no sense either way. But the first one makes the least sense. Zero reason for them to be putting on a show and pretending to fight when they're alone. And nothing to suggest it. At least with the second, they know they were trying to be manipulated.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Arya's blueprint is for the breastplate stretcher.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

That's just it, it's stupid and makes no sense either way. But the first one makes the least sense. Zero reason for them to be putting on a show and pretending to fight when they're alone. And nothing to suggest it. At least with the second, they know they were trying to be manipulated.

Both situations are, impressively, almost exactly as stupid to me so I don't really care too much as to what they were trying to do lmfao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

edit: god gyfcat is so lovely

https://gfycat.com/politicalsomeamericanratsnake-emilia-clarke

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My mom was going on with her crazy rear end theories - she is staying with us right now, and GOT is on endless loop in the tv room. She was really confused by the missandre / greyworm relationship, suggesting that maybe varys had given grey worm something so he could have sex as a eunach and I don't know what else. just weird poo poo that digs insanely deep into every look or glance on the tv show.

In the midst of this she said how the last time Lightbringer had been seen it was with golden company, and how Ser Jorah used to fight with the golden company, ergo Jon's sword is lightbringer. Is this possible?

edit: aryas dragonlance was in some of the leaks - so thats at least one thing they had right. are there more?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

kcroy posted:

My mom was going on with her crazy rear end theories - she is staying with us right now, and GOT is on endless loop in the tv room. She was really confused by the missandre / greyworm relationship, suggesting that maybe varys had given grey worm something so he could have sex as a eunach and I don't know what else. just weird poo poo that digs insanely deep into every look or glance on the tv show.

In the midst of this she said how the last time Lightbringer had been seen it was with golden company, and how Ser Jorah used to fight with the golden company, ergo Jon's sword is lightbringer. Is this possible?

edit: aryas dragonlance was in some of the leaks - so thats at least one thing they had right. are there more?

Jorah left Longclaw behind when he fled, so no.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

Jorah left Longclaw behind when he fled, so no.

Might be talking about Blackfire (fyre?).

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

wtf is that thing Arya drew for Gendry some sort of spear gun?

Also I feel like a complete moron for not seeing that Gendry would eventually end up as the mastercrafter of obsidian weapons

I’d like to point out that I’ve seen some YouTube videos and obsidian can’t be melted and reformed like that. I can’t handle this kind of nonsense in my show full of dragons and ice zombies!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, real life obsidian is about as brittle as potato chips, so this is obviously ~~magic~~ obsidian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why would you get a blacksmith to do stone knapping anyway