Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

High Lord Elbow posted:

And the same guy who wouldn't take up arms against Darth Fuckin' Vader because of a sliver of potential goodness decided to chop up his innocent young nephew because...

Disney spent their whole budget on CGI and couldn't hire writers worth a drat.

It was instinct - Luke looked into Ben's head, saw all the darkness, and his lightsaber was on before he knew it had come to his hand

It's Ben who escalated things, and Luke drove himself into exile because of it

Thank you, Jedi Dogma, for driving Luke to that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Vinylshadow posted:

It was instinct - Luke looked into Ben's head, saw all the darkness, and his lightsaber was on before he knew it had come to his hand

It's Ben who escalated things, and Luke drove himself into exile because of it

Thank you, Jedi Dogma, for driving Luke to that point

Imagine if there was actually a nephew killing instinct and we just had to account for it as a society. "Avuncular" would take on a whole new meaning

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

High Lord Elbow posted:

And the same guy who wouldn't take up arms against Darth Fuckin' Vader because of a sliver of potential goodness decided to chop up his innocent young nephew because...

Disney spent their whole budget on CGI and couldn't hire writers worth a drat.

your characterization of luke in the throne room is not true though. he did take up arms multiple times, one time nearly chopping Vader to bits as his emotions got the best of him.

Imagine being Luke and seeing inside Bens mind the same evil you nearly killed your father for/died yourself and NOT having an immediate emotional reaction, in this case igniting his saber (almost in self defense). youre pretending people grow in a linear manner, where life experience utterly changes the essence of who you are. lukes seasoning lead him to not move beyond igniting his saber.

i actually have come to view johnsons writing of luke as pretty good if flawed. the movir generally sucks though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The specific moment of the attempted/not murder has been beaten to death by both sides. The real gift that keeps on giving is all Luke’s other insane sociopathic actions after that point

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Still can’t believe he never admitted what he did to Ben's parents

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

Still can’t believe he never admitted what he did to Ben's parents

In Luke's defense, they'd just blown up the Death Star and he didn't know Leia was his sister at that point

Or are we talking about something else?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My problem with any redemption plot for Kylo is... he's just too realistic a dickhead, you know? Like, Vader's a bad guy, but he's an over the top comic book villain. Kylo's just too close to reality. He's some jerk who thinks he's hot poo poo and acts like a creep around women - I get enough of those assholes getting away with their poo poo in real life.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGq6TPeRPg

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Angry Salami posted:

My problem with any redemption plot for Kylo is... he's just too realistic a dickhead, you know? Like, Vader's a bad guy, but he's an over the top comic book villain. Kylo's just too close to reality. He's some jerk who thinks he's hot poo poo and acts like a creep around women - I get enough of those assholes getting away with their poo poo in real life.

Yeah, hes Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. The idea of capital E-Evil today isnt a nazi empire like it was in the 70s; it's a bunch of incapable unstable shitheads with identity problems. I have my bitches about TFA but the writers (and Adam Driver) really sold that idea with Kylo. Itll be interesting to see if RoS argues that kind of person can be redeemed.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 18, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"genocidal fascists, well, okay. Nice Guys, on the other hand"

(kylo ren being both a Nice Guy and a genocidal fascist makes this joke not really work i suppose)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

OT: Yay! We killed the bad guy! Time for the good guys to fix everything!

PT: Hmm maybe killing one bad guy isn't actually enough, and maybe the system that allowed him to come to power was the real problem!

ST: Actually, the problem is we didn't kill the bad guy hard enough.

OT: The Galactic Civil War was about slavery

PT: The Galactic Civil War was about member systems' rights

ST: The Galactic Civil War was about slavery

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah, everybody knows at least one kylo

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

yeah, everybody knows at least one kylo

and if you dont...does that mean youre the kylo?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mameluke posted:

OT: The Galactic Civil War was about slavery

PT: The Galactic Civil War was about member systems' rights

ST: The Galactic Civil War was about slavery

when did the OT ever argue it was about slavery
they use droids as slaves as a matter of course

it was about defeating an imperial government that thought blowing up whole planets was an acceptable form of legal/political governance (i.e. nuclear weapons are bad) (and america is bad)

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Angry Salami posted:

He doesn't act creepy aroudn women in the second one iirc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gonz posted:

He probably isn’t. It’s either a flashback or a vision or a Holocron or a ghost of some kind.

Palpatine turning to be some Star Wars Version of Jigsaw would be awful. Make him physical so McDiarmid can be in most of the film and actually make it good. I stand by having The Emperor win too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ammanas posted:

and if you dont...does that mean youre the kylo?

We are all Kylos (and Skywalkers).

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Han Solo was also a creep to women who thought he was hot poo poo but Harrison Ford has charisma so we loved him.

Adam Driver is a goody weirdo like us so we loathe him.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Palpatine turning to be some Star Wars Version of Jigsaw would be awful. Make him physical so McDiarmid can be in most of the film and actually make it good. I stand by having The Emperor win too.

I dont really want to have to put an asterisk on the ending of Return of the Jedi every time I watch it so I mentally go nope he's not actually dead sorry when he get's thrown into the reactor. No reason he can't be some sort of evil force ghost though and allow him to ham it up plenty.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So when I died I met that dude that brought people back from the dead and - hey, it works!

Or Kylo's "redemption" is killing rey because she's the Palpatine reincarnation and he's six shades of confused.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The best possible outcome is having the emperor's body be disintegrated at the end of ROTJ but his essence merges with the giant kyber crystal in the heart of the new death star.

This is a thoughtful approach that makes sense in-universe and would be pretty rad to see, so Disney will undoubtedly not go in that direction.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it would be best if he was a spooky ghost

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Rey ultimately loses against a force ghost because there's realistically nothing she can do but faff about with her force powers and light saber against, well, a ghost. Then Kylo kills himself and throws Palpatine down into Force Hell.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Paltergheist

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

YaketySass posted:

Paltergheist

Empparition

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
It will be super dumb if Sheev exists as anything but an old holographic recording.

I can’t wait to see the Leia animatronic puppet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Episode 9: The Phantotine Menace.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farrier Theaks posted:

Yeah, hes Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

Kylo Ren is a 30-something Christian fundamentalist on a literal crusade - and evidently the highest ranking member of his church besides Snoke.

The Columbine kids were ‘merely’ teen white supremacists doing domestic terrorism.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

High Lord Elbow posted:

It will be super dumb if Sheev exists as anything but an old holographic recording.

I can’t wait to see the Leia animatronic puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdDZeHKWhY

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Crabtree posted:

Rey ultimately loses against a force ghost because there's realistically nothing she can do but faff about with her force powers and light saber against, well, a ghost. Then Kylo kills himself and throws Palpatine down into Force Hell.

This is more or less how The Frighteners resolved, right?

God I didn’t realize how relatively stacked that movie was for being such a flop.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kylo being in his 30s is really the cherry on top of the whole character, and it makes reylo even skeevier (a feat heretofore not thought possible)

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping it's a brand new Skywalker introduced in the last two minutes of the film. Hard cut to Yoda Ghost, nodding. "Told you I did." DIRECTED BY JJ ABRAMS

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

s.i.r.e. posted:

According to the new EU he essentially is already has been established as setting the entire events of the new trilogy in motion upon his death.

IIRC, in the Aftermath book series the Emperor had a secret apprentice who was to carry out a contingency plan that basically had him stage the Battle of Jaku so that the planet could be detonated and destroy both the Empire and Rebellion, therefore resetting the conflict somewhat. Palpatine believed if the Empire could not keep him alive it had ultimately failed and should not continue.

He had an "Observatory" built in the core of Jakku, one of many that was searcing for an unknown dark side presence in the Unkown Regions(assuming Snoke). A Sith ritual was attempted to detonate the planet but is interrupted. The secret apprentice(Rax) is killed but tasks another to take the Emperors yacht and rendevouz with the last remaining Super Star Destroyer in the Unkown Regions. She does, meets up with a young Hux and his dad and vow to execute the Emperors "First Order" to rebuild the Empire.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Aftermath:_Empire%27s_End

I have a feeling at least part of this will be involved in whatever the Emperors role in Ep 9 is.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 19, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

No Mods No Masters posted:

Kylo being in his 30s is really the cherry on top of the whole character, and it makes reylo even skeevier (a feat heretofore not thought possible)

It feels like Kylo wasn't supposed to be that old, I think.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

According to a Denny’s placemat the wook, Kyle is ~30 and Rey is 19. Even if that’s true I’m still not ok with it

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Kylo hasnt actually tried anything with Rey in the movies right? As much as some fans get wet over the idea. Like i dont even remember any sort of awkward scene where it's clear he wanted to

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Mods No Masters posted:

According to a Denny’s placemat the wook, Kyle is ~30 and Rey is 19. Even if that’s true I’m still not ok with it

Daisy Ridley is 27, Adam is 35. So I would assume much closer to that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

Daisy Ridley is 27, Adam is 35. So I would assume much closer to that.

Yea but when have actors ever really played their actual age on screen? I dont think their real age really matters. You could tell me Kylo is supposed to be 23 and i'd believe you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Both actors play the characters as teenagers, which probably helps the reylo market considerably. But adam driver's 35 yo face is just too weird for the attempt to not feel hilariously off to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AccountSupervisor posted:

I have a feeling at least part of this will be involved in whatever the Emperors role in Ep 9 is.

It 100% won’t.

The entire concept of ‘the Battle of Jakku’ was invented to retroactively explain the wreckage on Tatooine, after the initial concept - that it’s simply a junkyard - was dropped partway into production of TFA.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2019