Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

State might let the widow(er) get those plates, too.

It was a dude, or she had a very deep voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Vasudus posted:

It's with the VA :smithicide:

Can’t be worse than actually working as a VA employee.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sarah posted:

Can’t be worse than actually working as a VA employee.

Beats me, I've always been on the defense health side.

I'll be working out of VA headquarters in DC if I end up doing it, so it'll probably just be another government gig with a whole new set of terminology to learn.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Vasudus posted:

Beats me, I've always been on the defense health side.

I'll be working out of VA headquarters in DC if I end up doing it, so it'll probably just be another government gig with a whole new set of terminology to learn.

I’m VA employee. There’s a reason the VA pays more than any other hospital I can work at. Because otherwise they would have no employees. Example: last year we worked in sweltering heat inside a trailer with the promise that the nice new department would be ice cold. Reality is they ordered the wrong AC unit for us and we are working in the heat still.

If I want to leave I have to take at least $9/hr paycut, probably more since I only have a years worth of surgical experience.

Oh forgot the best part: in true VA style they made sure the thermostats were far away from where the heat / work is, so when we are all sweating and dying, someone in nice clothing comes in while we are wrapped in plastic and says “well it says on the thermostat it’s 68 degrees in here so you can’t possibly be hot. “

They do not round the corner where the washer is pumping out 190 degree hot air. :downs:

Sarah fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 19, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh yeah that makes sense. I'm very disconnected from the actual business end of things, I'm always high up in headquarters doing research/policy in all my gigs.

Though for this one I'll likely be traveling to at least a few different hospitals and talking with staff and administration. Maybe. I don't know yet.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

I’m VA employee. There’s a reason the VA pays more than any other hospital I can work at. Because otherwise they would have no employees. Example: last year we worked in sweltering heat inside a trailer with the promise that the nice new department would be ice cold. Reality is they ordered the wrong AC unit for us and we are working in the heat still.

If I want to leave I have to take at least $9/hr paycut, probably more since I only have a years worth of surgical experience.

Oh forgot the best part: in true VA style they made sure the thermostats were far away from where the heat / work is, so when we are all sweating and dying, someone in nice clothing comes in while we are wrapped in plastic and says “well it says on the thermostat it’s 68 degrees in here so you can’t possibly be hot. “

They do not round the corner where the washer is pumping out 190 degree hot air. :downs:

Oh you poor thing, you are a scrub tech aren't you? I hated going into central sterile and the OR's at the VA because goddamn are they miserable.

They were always good about paying their bills, but holy poo poo some of the contractors they would hire would stiff you every chance they got, especially those mobile OR fucks.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just woke up with a bit of an enlarged head from the booze yesterday, but it's alright:

My old man beat cancer :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just woke up with a bit of an enlarged head from the booze yesterday, but it's alright:

gently caress yes that's awesome

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Worth the hangover. Glad to hear it!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Great news.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wunderbar!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hell yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

hooooooooooly poo poo congrats dude, thats rad as hell

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Great to hear!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I sperged out on Discord about it already, but I really need to re-iterate: I think I never really got past the phase of denial. I mean, I waited like five months or so before even talking about his diagnosis in this dumb secluded echo chamber of ours

There was always this existential dread in the background that was more selfish than empathic, really, but I genuinely think I never really moved past this phase of "this can't be happening to my dad, this happens to other people, motherfucker's a cosmic constant, he doesn't get cancer". And what compacted that effect was probably his matter-of-fact attitude of dealing with it considering the amount of cancer we've had in the family and close acquaintances.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

For real, though:

gently caress cancer

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

holocaust bloopers posted:

Holy gently caress I am so freaking sore after a 4 mile run. I miss being in my 20s when soreness kicked in a few hours or over night but this is like immediate at 34.

stretch. hold positions for a few minutes.

or pilates.

Water777 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 19, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Shot some baseball today

album:https://imgur.com/a/DW4AOD3

Also I FINALLY got a gap lens that I needed. Bought a Canon 24-70 F4L for a song off a friend. Has a macro mode too which is kinda nice.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I don't know what a gap lens is, but holy poo poo dude, those are some great macro shots. The ball game shots look really good, too. When did you become an expert? Seems like yesterday you were getting into photography and submitting stuff to the school paper.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Suntan Boy posted:

I don't know what a gap lens is, but holy poo poo dude, those are some great macro shots. The ball game shots look really good, too. When did you become an expert? Seems like yesterday you were getting into photography and submitting stuff to the school paper.

Its basically a lens that fills a gap, whatever that is. For me, it was 24-70. I had nothing that could go that wide.

Also thanks! Im not really sure what happened to be honest. I just kept doing what I love.

The school paper wanted me to come back pretty badly, but I turned them down for a few reasons. None negative. Life just pointed in a different direction. Today was my 88th school sporting event shoot. Ill always volunteer for them when I have time, I just didnt want to break any promises.

I am gonna try to write a "how-to" book that mixes some of the "why" of photos as well as basics. We communicate so much with imagery but dont pay that much attention to what the image means as we are taking it. I am hoping I cam share some of the passion and experience Ive gathere through the years.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress yeah, dude! Congrats!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Awesome! My dad had melanoma that had spread all over and he's getting one of his final scans today. He's basically had no signs of active cancer for a year now, immunotherapy is incredible.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Awesome! My dad had melanoma that had spread all over and he's getting one of his final scans today. He's basically had no signs of active cancer for a year now, immunotherapy is incredible.

Keytruda? What combination?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

bengy81 posted:

Oh you poor thing, you are a scrub tech aren't you? I hated going into central sterile and the OR's at the VA because goddamn are they miserable.

They were always good about paying their bills, but holy poo poo some of the contractors they would hire would stiff you every chance they got, especially those mobile OR fucks.

I work in sterile processing. The OR here is actually fantastic — almost non existent infection rate, immaculately clean suites, rooms & core are ice cold. It’s nice to step out of our sweat shop into their cool air (we are attached to them, but do not fall under them for command purposes).

I was one of the first people to be thrown into the hot room and they didn’t take me and my coworker’s complaints seriously, mostly because since last March I was always hot. Last week they didn’t take the complaints seriously either because the two employees that were in there also are always hot. This week someone who has never complained of being hot, even when the temps hit 86 degrees last summer, spoke up and said something needed to be done. They were shocked he was hot, but still nothing has been done.

Sadly, nothing is going to be done until someone passes out. It’s the VA way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hell yea that’s great news.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Oh cool, I got a response back from a company!"

"Weird, they have lorem ipsum on their portfolio page a few blocks down"

"Oh, got a message"

quote:

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in the Video and Podcast Producer position with [SC] – we wanted to invite you to the next step of the interview process. The steps are as follows:
1) You will meet with our digital production services practice lead, [AB], for a 15-minute interview (see instructions to set up a time below).
2) Then, following that, you will have a real-time studio production session. This includes you shooting a short video in our studio (using our equipment and elements) and then doing post-production work with already developed assets. We anticipate the studio time to take about 30 minutes.
3) Next, within two business days, you will produce (on your own machine) a ~60-80 second deliverable that includes the content you edited and shot with our assets.
4) Once completed, we will provide you with a location for you to upload your completed 60-80 second deliverable.
Please respond with any questions and if you’d like to partake in the interview process that allows you to meet [SC], [SC] to meet you, and confirm your studio and production services skills. We have 45 minute time slots next Monday 4/22 – Wednesday 4/24 you can choose from. Please take a look at the time slots at [redacted] and “vote” for the time you are available. If the time slot already has a vote, it means that that specific session has already been taken.

We look forward to hearing from you,
[SC] Operations

Back to job searching I guess :suicide:

Edit: Found the guy on linkedin, and he's been "Chief Idea Guy" for 12 years at this company, lol

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 19, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

"Oh, got a message"

Edit: Found the guy on linkedin, and he's been "Chief Idea Guy" for 12 years at this company, lol

Hey how can we get prospective candidates to do work for us for free? I've got an idea!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

Keytruda? What combination?

Opdivo and something else, not sure off the top of my head.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sucks to be a kid just out of the Art Institute after getting kicked out because they shut the loving thing down with a week's notice, and then have to entertain these vultures in the hopes of landing a $16/hr gig working for these chumps. I wish I had more time to waste their time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

I work in sterile processing. The OR here is actually fantastic — almost non existent infection rate, immaculately clean suites, rooms & core are ice cold. It’s nice to step out of our sweat shop into their cool air (we are attached to them, but do not fall under them for command purposes).

I was one of the first people to be thrown into the hot room and they didn’t take me and my coworker’s complaints seriously, mostly because since last March I was always hot. Last week they didn’t take the complaints seriously either because the two employees that were in there also are always hot. This week someone who has never complained of being hot, even when the temps hit 86 degrees last summer, spoke up and said something needed to be done. They were shocked he was hot, but still nothing has been done.

Sadly, nothing is going to be done until someone passes out. It’s the VA way.

ST79 has pretty tight recommendations for environmentals. You could always photo copy the relevant passages and hang in strategic locations. Nobody wants to fail an AAMI inspection.

Edit: not that the VA gives a gently caress normally. I realize that your dept. leadership probably has your best interests in mind, but the c-suite is too busy trying to learn six sigma leadership to fix any problems before they blow up

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 19, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slim Pickens posted:

"Oh, got a message"

Ahahaha that’s some poo poo right there.

I now sit with my creative agency counterparts, which is a first in my career. Would love to shadow the copywriters for a day just to see what exactly they do with their time.

re: camera chat. I think the next body I want is some high resolution medium format monster. Now that they’re in the realm of “attainable by the non-wealthy”, it’s very tempting.

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 19, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Not only would I not do that poo poo, I would probably report them to the state department of labor.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ahahaha that’s some poo poo right there.

I now sit with my creative agency counterparts, which is a first in my career. Would love to shadow the copywriters for a day just to see what exactly they do with their time.

re: camera chat. I think the next body I want is some high resolution medium format monster. Now that they’re in the realm of “attainable by the non-wealthy”, it’s very tempting.

I glanced at the specs for those Fuji 50R/S and they look pretty buff, but what holds me back is that their wide angle lens for it isn't as wide as my current one for the Olympus.

Have you looked at the Panasonic S1R? When on tripod based hi res mode, it gets a hilarious overkill 187MP.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Slim Pickens posted:

"Oh, got a message"

That reminds me of somewhere I applied to recently. They wanted me to take two IQ tests, a Meyers-Brigg test, a "risk assessment test," a background check, and a drug test. For helpdesk at a local business. I told the hiring manager "good luck with your candidate search" and hung up the phone.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

I glanced at the specs for those Fuji 50R/S and they look pretty buff, but what holds me back is that their wide angle lens for it isn't as wide as my current one for the Olympus.

Have you looked at the Panasonic S1R? When on tripod based hi res mode, it gets a hilarious overkill 187MP.

Haven’t seen how lenses compare across other mounts. Typically the widest I’ll shoot at is 24mm. If anything, having the ability to go in tighter around 70-200 is way more valuable.

Yea I’ve looked at it. It’s a properly great system right off the bat, but the pricing is too close to a Fuji medium format entry.

Full frame is full of options right now, and non are super enticing. The Sony offerings lose me because their bodies aren’t super appealing to me. Although prices are dropping on the EOS R, which is extremely my jam.

Stupid rich person move would be to get a Leica Q2 lol.

Also, The Rat, I’m terrible about uploading to Flickr.

bloops fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 19, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

bengy81 posted:

ST79 has pretty tight recommendations for environmentals. You could always photo copy the relevant passages and hang in strategic locations. Nobody wants to fail an AAMI inspection.

Edit: not that the VA gives a gently caress normally. I realize that your dept. leadership probably has your best interests in mind, but the c-suite is too busy trying to learn six sigma leadership to fix any problems before they blow up

They are getting around this by having the thermostats and Checkpoints in locations that don’t cause alarms. It’s pretty slick.

Edit:

Entry to decontamination (not OR side)

Thermostat and Checkpoint that is on the right side of the wall past the sink. I guarantee you it’s not 68.5 degrees in there. My coworker is in there dripping with sweat.

The washers pump out a massive amount of heat. And it’s not going up into those vents, those are non functional and only there for show :downs: it’s going out into the room.

Not shown because I don’t want to take pictures of coworker, but across the washers are the tables to work on, sinks, and sonics. The cart washer, which produces the most heat, is on the other side of the washers behind the wall. Very conveniently on the opposite end of the room away from the thermostat.

As far as anyone who has come in responding to complaints is concerned: the temp is 68.5 and that is within regulations of the VA’s SOP, TJC, AAMI, AORN, etc.

Shady practice, and bad because it’s good for bacteria, but we are going to keep working until someone passes out.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 19, 2019

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

bengy81 posted:

I being a dumb civvie was going to suggest a call to OSHA and a long documentation effort to establish a paper trail so that when the inevitable issue arises you both CYA and can nail the c-suite fucks.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sarah posted:

They are getting around this by having the thermostats and Checkpoints in locations that don’t cause alarms. It’s pretty slick.

I'm starting to get an angry twitch over this and I don't even do that kind of work anymore!

What about airflow monitors? Please tell me they are just stuck in a closet somewhere?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Flicker also changed their policies and unless you pay or have a professional account your upload space is limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

That reminds me of somewhere I applied to recently. They wanted me to take two IQ tests, a Meyers-Brigg test, a "risk assessment test," a background check, and a drug test. For helpdesk at a local business. I told the hiring manager "good luck with your candidate search" and hung up the phone.

It's funny because you can tell when the HR person last been to a conference based on what kind of tests they give.

IQ tests mean that nobody professionally consulted with them at all ever, but are more than willing to provide the tests for applicants for a nominal fee.

MBTI tests mean that they last got professional HR/hiring advice around 2013-2014.

Custom tailored risk assessments are the new hotness for companies that really want to walk the line of legality. Because if you have just the right questions phrased just the right way, you can weed out any of the undesirables and blame it on the system.

Background checks are standard fair now that there's a ton of investigations-as-a-service companies. For a surprisingly cheap fee even small businesses can get a real-deal background check done.

Drug tests for anything that doesn't involve safety or license issues is bullshit and a good way to scare off well qualified talent.