Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Szmitten posted:

My current feeling on dubs is that most from the late 80s to early 00s were pretty bad with no direction and not amazing actors; nowadays however the newer actors are actually way loving better but the directors and larger roles are the veterans from the 90s who still haven't improved.

It gave us gems like Cyber City Oedo and the Gundam Wing dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The 80s and 90s dubs are bad mostly because professional VAs were not really a thing. So you had people that were learning on the job and that is a lovely place to be.

Which is why it sucks the old VAs didn’t get a shot to improve on their oldshit

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I mean if you forget rebuild 1 and 2 sure

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t know the rebuilds had old dubs. Seems like a weird choice I guess but the rebuilds are weird I guess

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Has 3 been dubbed yet? I remember that was in dub hell

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Yeah everything is up to date.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

FilthyImp posted:

Lol at the idea of just redoing a poo poo-rear end 90s VA delivery again. I'm sure Netflix wants Eva to sound like a PS1 cutscene voiceover.

But... aren't Shinji/Misato/Asuka still the same in the movies?

And they sound better because either they've been in way more roles since (Spencer) or have good voice direction now? (Grant and Keith)

Hell, even Winn-Lee has been in more stuff since then and she doesn't sound too bad; maybe she can improve her Rei take (I do like the Rebuild Rei better though)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

fun fact: that's Solaire from Dark Souls

I'm not even loving joking go look at IMDB

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

:allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zeruel posted:

I saw it dubbed in theaters in the US so it did eventually come out. It's also the only time I think I've ever seen dubbed anime of any kind

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

But this is legitimately amazing.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

No problem. I missed a few things like the Real Action Hero (RAH) line by Medicom of basically really tall doll-ish Evas that are more for presence than play factor, and the Soul of Chogokin Spec releases that are separate from the regular SoCs, and I'm pretty sure there's an MP Eva in the Revoltech line. The Mafex ones are also by Medicom and seem to just be shrinking down the RAH designs to be about 6-7 inches tall. They should include stands, and a decent number of accessories, while "only" being around $75 per instead of the obscene prices the Robot Damashii ones claim on the secondary market now. If my Mafex Robocops and John Wick are anything to go by they should be perfectly fine quality wise too. The Revoltech Rebuild-era ones have been getting reprints over the last half a year and shouldn't be too hard to find either.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

It's been a long time since I read anything about it, but I remember the non-union work that VA talent had done on anime dubs in the 90s became a sensitive topic as the work got higher profile leading into the 2000s (and thus the whole David Lucas/Steve Blum situation). Netflix's move to become a premier production company probably means they have some sensitivity around the issue. Unions do not gently caress around, to say the least.

Speaking of voice talent, it must have been a wild shock if any otaku got word of the series and cast before it aired.

"It's a mecha show from the people that did Gunbuster, with the actresses for Usagi Tsukino and Lina Inverse in it! It's gonna be so over the top!"

Later:
:stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

fun fact: that's Solaire from Dark Souls

I'm not even loving joking go look at IMDB

That's loving amazing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Does anyone have the royal tennenbaums evangelion tweet?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Nm lol

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

:perfect:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
HOLY poo poo :five:

There's just so much beauty in this world, y'know?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think NGE would infinitely improved with the removal of SEELE. You can keep NERV and Gendo's plotting but SEELE seems so superfluous. Furthermore, they are directly responsible for all the people who misunderstand Eva. Their cryptic bullshit distracts and detracts from what the show is really about and people get caught up in trying to make sense of them.

SEELE feels like it was just a product of the 90s love of the Illuminati that got tacked onto the anime. I'be been getting into more 90s fiction lately and between The X-Files, Old World of Darkness and Deus Ex, and of course my old love Xenogears, the decade was just obsessed with the idea every bad thing is reduceable to a shadowy cabal of all-powerful people.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
if you remove the SEELE you void the warranty

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Without SEELE, Yui's motivations make no sense and Gendo's characterization suffers really badly as well. It would also be counter-productive to remove the arrogant old men toying with things they don't understand in a series that's in large part about how the older generation hosed up Japan.

e: Functionally removing SEELE is what you get in Rebuild, and while it's interesting in its own right it's a very different statement. It makes Gendo into a villain lusting after a corpse instead of the slightly more nuanced portrait of a broken, lonely man neglecting and abusing his son.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
NERV doesn't make any sense without SEELE. Like, why would the UN decide to give all this power to NERV? Because Gendo was dark and mysterious and got into bar fights?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
SEELE is great and the intrigue between them and Gendo is a core part of the latter's character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

SEELE is great and the intrigue between them and Gendo is a core part of the latter's character.

Really? I never got that impression at all.

Gendo's character begins and ends with Yui. His relationship with everyone else comes back to Yui. I didn't think he spared SEELE a second thought.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Without SEELE, Yui's motivations make no sense and Gendo's characterization suffers really badly as well. It would also be counter-productive to remove the arrogant old men toying with things they don't understand n a series that's in large part about how the older generation hosed up Japan.

e: Functionally removing SEELE is what you get in Rebuild, and while it's interesting in its own right it's a very different statement. It makes Gendo into a villain lusting after a corpse instead of the slightly more nuanced portrait of a broken, lonely man neglecting and abusing his son.

This is also something I never thought of. Are you sure the series is about that? I don't doubt you but I recall nothing in Eva that made me think of that at all.

As for Yui not making sense...she already makes no sense as it is given the narrative worships her in spite of the fact she's responsible for everything bad that happens to Gendo and Shinji due to incompetence or malice or incompetence so grand it's no different than malice.

Fixing that plotline can only be a good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NikkolasKing posted:

This is also something I never thought of. Are you sure the series is about that? I don't doubt you but I recall nothing in Eva that made me think of that at all.

I don't think it's to the point of being a targeted message, but generational trauma is absolutely a theme in Evangelion, made very obvious with Shinji and Gendo but also exhibited with Asuka, Misato, arguably even Rei

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty much everything out of Fuyutsuki's mouth is about his regrets and his hope that Yui as his student (and Gendo as his colleague) will undo the harm his generation presided over. In-narrative of course it's mostly about waking up the Angels and starting the timer on the end of the world, but Evangelion isn't exactly shy about using WWII imagery either.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for Yui not making sense...she already makes no sense as it is given the narrative worships her in spite of the fact she's responsible for everything bad that happens to Gendo and Shinji due to incompetence or malice or incompetence so grand it's no different than malice.

It doesn't need fixing, and no, most of the bad things that happen to Gendo and Shinji are either Gendo's fault or the result of, you know, both of them being stuck between an apocalyptic prophecy and the Illuminati.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 26, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Really? I never got that impression at all.

Gendo's character begins and ends with Yui. His relationship with everyone else comes back to Yui. I didn't think he spared SEELE a second thought.

Did you skip all the scenes where Gendo and SEELE are tug-of-warring over the future of humanity? The fact that Gendo has superiors and is maneuvering under them, maintaining deniability while spitting in their faces, is a key aspect of how and why Evangelion plays out how it does. As Tuxedo says, when you remove Gendo's superiors, he becomes a very different, darker character.

NikkolasKing posted:

The narrative does not worship Yui. You confuse narrative with characterization and bias. See, our only perspective on Yui is through three figures:

1. Her obsessive husband, willing to risk ending the world to be reunited with her
2. Her old professor with his unrequited love, who works with her husband simply because he's still carrying a printer
3. Her emotionally-stunted son who sees her as someone who could deliver him from his nightmare world

None of these three ever come to terms with what Yui was intending and/or truly wanted.

You've pointed out, accurately, that Yui is not a good person. Do you think that perhaps the point of having three characters see her in such a fawning, angelic way might be deliberate? That you, as an outside observer, are supposed to see the gap between what Yui did (abandon her son and husband, potentially with full knowledge of what was to come, so she could serve as a monument to humanity) and how people see her? Remember that final episode where multiple characters talk about how there is the real you and the you that exists in the minds of others?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

She's not necessarily a bad person either. She performed the contact experiment that left her stuck inside Unit-01 because SEELE was going to murder her, and her version of Instrumentality very notably doesn't end with the extinction of the human race or SEELE ruling over the rest of humanity as gods.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like SEELE in part because, in a cast full of people who are otherwise driven by at least a half-dozen complexes per person, they're just a group of rich old fucks who do awful things because they would like to continue being rich old fucks for as long as they can conceive.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Did you skip all the scenes where Gendo and SEELE are tug-of-warring over the future of humanity? The fact that Gendo has superiors and is maneuvering under them, maintaining deniability while spitting in their faces, is a key aspect of how and why Evangelion plays out how it does. As Tuxedo says, when you remove Gendo's superiors, he becomes a very different, darker character.

One of my favourite things on rewatching is how clear it is that SEELE don't trust Gendo but they both put up with each other out of necessity. Each one prompts a reaction from the other that speeds things up and ruins everything. An incomplete list:

-Gendo has Adam delivered to NERV. Shortly after SEELE sabotages NERV HQ to prep for a future invasion.
-SEELE works on building an S2 engine to allow for them to perform instrumentality without Adam and Lilith. Then Unit 4 is lost (possibly sabotaged). Considering his comments about how the loss would teach SEELE a lesson I like to think Gendo arranged it.
-Unit 1 devours an angel, prompting SEELE to kidnap Fuyutski to try and figure out what Gendo is up to.
-SEELE starts panicking and rushes construction on the EVA series. Gendo responds by disposing of the Lance of Longinus.
- In desperation SEELE send Kaworu into NERV.

Ultimately SEELE and Gendo fail because in trying to manipulate the big picture they stop considering other people who go on to disrupt their plans (Yui, Rei, Kaworu etc)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Yui was the main villain all along because she wanted 'muh proof humanity existed' by dooming the entire planted to LCL and Unit 1 flying through space forever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that she knew that humanity was going to fiddle with Adam, Lilith and the angels and it would cause the end of the world. At the very least, her plan causes the end of the world but with a way to come back after.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I'm just being super reductive as a joke. Probably saw it as best of a bad situation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair I'm never really sure if I'm underestimating or overestimating her agency at any given point. Like something that just recently occurred to me is I'm not really sure if she had the option to leave Unit-01 and be human again at the end of EoE or not.

Instrumentality certainly doesn't seem to have been kind to its other psychopomps.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

NikkolasKing posted:

Your homework assignment is to watch Evangelion again while paying more attention. Generational trauma and abuse is.. the thing. Removing SEELE is removing a bunch of characterisation for the worse.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

If the whole point of the show’s view of interpersonal interactions is “we are partially defined by others and their incomplete views of us, and vice versa”, and “without the limits imposed by those definitions, our subjective experiences are meaningless”, then Yui forging herself into a designated marker of “Humanity Existed” is more potent than just being a road marker out in space: it is a perpetual signifier to any other beings out there that allows humanity as a whole to have some meaning, no matter how incomplete and alien it will be when observed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
My theory is Yui did the contact experiment just to see what would happen and didn’t think she’d get absorbed into the eva, and the whole thing about that making it so Shinji could hijack third impact was just a happy coincidence.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Turns out the entire founding and operation of SEELE, GEHIRN and NERV is a string of accidents and wacky misunderstandings.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Steamed Hams but it's Gendo and Keel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Thinking a bit more: Yui is barely existent in the show but her absence is what drives so much of it, and is what has traumatized much of the principle cast into being the way they are.

It’s likely Yui being a distant and immortal reference point for humanity is not just what allows for people to decide to return from Instrumentality, but also perfectly thematically synchronized with what she represents. Like the Moon: cold,lifeless and distant, and yet it churns the oceans.