Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

karmicknight posted:

Haircuts in wrestling are a very powerful thing, and occasionally have odd knock-on effects for the performer as a whole.

Example, Steve Austin with hair vs without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not much of an AEW cheerleader but Lance Storm was talking about the TV deal on F4D this week and he asked about Turner putting up AEW at the TBS May upfronts and his concern was that TBS will be willing to sign a deal and then try to get out of it when advertisers balk at wanting to sponsor wrestling. He said that’s what happened with TNA at Destination America.

Does anyone have insight on that? Is it a legit reason to be concerned?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

fart blood posted:

I’m not much of an AEW cheerleader but Lance Storm was talking about the TV deal on F4D this week and he asked about Turner putting up AEW at the TBS May upfronts and his concern was that TBS will be willing to sign a deal and then try to get out of it when advertisers balk at wanting to sponsor wrestling. He said that’s what happened with TNA at Destination America.

I mean he's technically right, but I really don't think Turner would be this far into a potential deal without being pretty confident about the advertising situation. It doesn't make sense for a company like Turner (with prior experience dealing with advertisers and wrestling) to rush blind into the upfronts, but I guess it could technically happen. I would think positioning it as more sports-centered programming would help ease anxieties.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Dave made a point of mentioning the ONE deal, which I had previously not heard about

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810627-one-championship-bringing-mma-to-br-live-and-tnt

This makes Turners potential appetite for something like AEW a lot more reasonable

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

fart blood posted:

aew is going into advertiser negotiations with the distinct advantage of not being named "TNA WRESTLING"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Definitely an advantage but WWE’s inability to nab advertisers more desirable than candy and soda companies is well documented and they’re a proven draw

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Basic Chunnel posted:

Definitely an advantage but WWE’s inability to nab advertisers more desirable than candy and soda companies is well documented and they’re a proven draw

oh yeah i know advertisers are like, mortally afraid of wrestling, so much so that iirc mlw is having to move off of youtube because with all the horrible people and poo poo on youtube, wrestling is still seen as touchy territory

but drat, they really really shot themselves in the foot with that stupid name.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

fart blood posted:

Television is in a VERY different place now than it was when this story was taking place.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'd like to know how they pitch the overall tone of the show. I think a competitive, athletic show that shies away from the more embarrassing parts of wrestling could do very well. How they incorporate humor in the show may play a big role in how the product is perceived by the general public. Doing silly in-ring stuff like Joey Ryan's penis wrestler spots seems like a really bad idea if you want to expand your audience beyond die hards, but including a sense of humor in promos and trash talking can help build hype for big matches. A UFC-style press conference or interviews where everyone gets over their character and motivations will work much better for a broad audience than having someone dress up as their opponent and make lame puns for 10 minutes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm just some rando idiot, but I'd assume that they'd stick kinda close to a more serious New Japan-esque style of presenting the product on TV and keep the silly stuff on Youtube.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1119663409644097536

dustin rhodes is in a crappy numetal band now yes

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If they do end up on TNT the only real option for a weeknight that avoids WWE and being pre-emoted during basketball season is Wednesday. Pretty sure TBS would allow for a little more flexibility in night.s.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
WWE backed the wrong horse in going with entertainment instead of sports in their sports entertainment

I'm really, really hopeful they limit the stupid poo poo but with All In and the dick druids I dunno

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

shiksa posted:

https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1119663409644097536

dustin rhodes is in a crappy numetal band now yes

All the class of a metal logo and a lovely tribal tattoo combined, it's stunning

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
How bad was the old logo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

How bad was the old logo

I think the last thing Dustin did before coming back to wwe was black reign so...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

beepo posted:

Doing silly in-ring stuff like Joey Ryan's penis wrestler spots seems like a really bad idea if you want to expand your audience beyond die hards, but including a sense of humor in promos and trash talking can help build hype for big matches.
Looking at Taguchi and Yano in New Japan makes me think Joey Ryan will not taint (heh) a possible AEW brand built on athleticism and competitiveness.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all elite wrestling is adopting a suggestion made to them by a wrestling expert earlier this year. their show is going to be called Wednesday Night Wiener Holes and every wrestler will have a hole in their wrestling gear for their wiener/cock to hang out, some more than others.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Cavauro posted:

all elite wrestling is adopting a suggestion made to them by a wrestling expert earlier this year. their show is going to be called Wednesday Night Wiener Holes and every wrestler will have a hole in their wrestling gear for their wiener/cock to hang out, some more than others.

Dave is really reaching lately.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Since you can say the gently caress word as much as you want on cable now think we'll get a few F bombs on AEW?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
WWE’s advertising issues has more to do with their history and dealing with that company is a loving nightmare. Top tier advertisers are very risk adverse and WWE is basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Turner when they owned WCW did not have as many issues with advertisers. They had built in relationships and Turner was a reputable company.

I have a feeling that you’ll have a “wait and see” time period for major advertisers for AEW mainly just to see what the product will be. I would think that having the Khans running the show will have a huge effect on the quality of advertisers as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Djarum posted:

WWE’s advertising issues has more to do with their history and dealing with that company is a loving nightmare. Top tier advertisers are very risk adverse and WWE is basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Turner when they owned WCW did not have as many issues with advertisers. They had built in relationships and Turner was a reputable company.

I have a feeling that you’ll have a “wait and see” time period for major advertisers for AEW mainly just to see what the product will be. I would think that having the Khans running the show will have a huge effect on the quality of advertisers as well.

It took several years and a lot of hard work for the WCW team to start getting real sponsors. It was not built in and didn't happen until several years into the Bischoff regime.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cody's double or nothing opponent is ronnie arnell according to robert

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

It took several years and a lot of hard work for the WCW team to start getting real sponsors. It was not built in and didn't happen until several years into the Bischoff regime.
It's pretty wild to think now about how every replay after every match had its own sponsor back then. Castrol GTX was a big one. Then PPVs would be like, Snicker's Halloween Havoc.

Hopefully All In can integrate sponsors like that, and not like they did with Cracker Barrel or WCW did with Surge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

It's pretty wild to think now about how every replay after every match had its own sponsor back then. Castrol GTX was a big one. Then PPVs would be like, Snicker's Halloween Havoc.

Hopefully All In can integrate sponsors like that, and not like they did with Cracker Barrel or WCW did with Surge.

I'd be more likely to watch AEW if the product was wall to wall surge.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Bring back Stacker 2! And Lugz!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the jvc kaboom box

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

NOW IS THE TIME TO DEVELOP AND RELEASE GLOVER 2

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the jvc kaboom box

Dude I wanted a JVC kaboom box so bad when I was a kid. It's the dumbest looking stereo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Dude I wanted a JVC kaboom box so bad when I was a kid. It's the dumbest looking stereo.

how could you not want a stero that took its visual design straight from super soaker?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

remember when he tricked people into caring about a 20 minute snoozefest for a meaningless title? drat he's good at that

Do you mean the NWA title match at All In? I liked that match lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do you mean the NWA title match at All In? I liked that match lol.

that was my point! that match was boring, too long, and overbooked.it's the equivalent of an HHH wrestlemania match, except we lost half the main event to it.

i guess people will blame okada/scurll, but that match was actually worth watching.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
10 minutes to predict Cody’s opponent.

My pick is Dustin

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think that's everyone's pick

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok but that's not how it works

Edit: aimed at Lone

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Adaptabullshit posted:

10 minutes to predict Cody’s opponent.

My pick is Dustin

Deathmatch Dustin?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Dustin or Dustin Rhodes?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yup, it's Dustin

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLnNAt8kxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Okada/Scurll gave us Okada repeatedly mocking Marty for being under 205 pounds, including during the match