Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, here's my list:

-I'd like a digital display for the gauges. Rpm, speedometer, gears, clock, fuel, etc. (I just have the 1 analog speedo right now)

- cruise control (for longer rides)

-lighter weight (my current bike is 500 lbs)

-would like to still have another gear after 70 mph (6th gear starts around 70 for me, and while I can get to 100, she sure feels like it's taking all she's got)

-good fuel economy (mine gets about 50mpg)

-200+ mile range (mine is 120ish, and no reserve)

-comfortable

-comfortable for a pillion rider

Hmmm....

I think that's all...

I mostly ride city streets and some highway.

I don't need a commuter; I dont ride every day.

I have the car for inclement weather.

I have a Harley, but I'm very open to other brands.

So what are some options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

KTM 1290 SAR :D

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would get a maxi scooter

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

right arm posted:

KTM 1290 SAR :D

Interesting suggestion. Do you have any experience with that bike?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Ok, here's my list:

-I'd like a digital display for the gauges. Rpm, speedometer, gears, clock, fuel, etc. (I just have the 1 analog speedo right now)

- cruise control (for longer rides)

-lighter weight (my current bike is 500 lbs)

-would like to still have another gear after 70 mph (6th gear starts around 70 for me, and while I can get to 100, she sure feels like it's taking all she's got)

-good fuel economy (mine gets about 50mpg)

-200+ mile range (mine is 120ish, and no reserve)

-comfortable

-comfortable for a pillion rider

Hmmm....

I think that's all...

I mostly ride city streets and some highway.

I don't need a commuter; I dont ride every day.

I have the car for inclement weather.

I have a Harley, but I'm very open to other brands.

So what are some options?

Triumph Tiger 800 XRX or XCX

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ElMaligno posted:

I know nothing about scooters and the ones that have been recommended in here have been outside my budget. So i will keep mosting different scooters so i can hear people opinions on them.

i mean what else do you want me to use this thread for?

Why aren't you just getting a motorcycle again? They're like scooters but better in every way.

If you're going to get a scooter at least get something cool

Not many here can recommend you a cheap scooter, because cheap scooters are garbage ridden by drunks and people that can't afford a better means of motorized transport. There's a couple people that are into scooters, but it's generally the Vespa/rukus/mod crowd, gay nudist dad is our resident expert, but even he's switched to the dark side and gotten a motorcycle. Maybe post in the scooter thread for more results?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Elviscat posted:

Why aren't you just getting a motorcycle again? They're like scooters but better in every way.

If you're going to get a scooter at least get something cool

Not many here can recommend you a cheap scooter, because cheap scooters are garbage ridden by drunks and people that can't afford a better means of motorized transport. There's a couple people that are into scooters, but it's generally the Vespa/rukus/mod crowd, gay nudist dad is our resident expert, but even he's switched to the dark side and gotten a motorcycle. Maybe post in the scooter thread for more results?

I have added a motorcycle but I have not switched I will never abandon my true love which is scooters :colbert: And scooters out west aren't DUI cycles like they are in the uncivilized south, even 50cc requires a valid driving license here in Cascadia.

ElMaligno you just keep dumping CL links with no commentary so it's hard to know what you're really after. But I'll try. You said $1500 or so. CL prices are negotiable. You've mostly linked stuff around 150cc or so, modern, CVT.

Here's an '09 Zuma 125 listed for $1800, you could possibly get this for $1500: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-2009-zuma-125/6865075561.html I loving love my Zuma 125. It is absolutely the perfect scooter for ripping around the city. A ton of guys I know have these ranging from totally stock to just transmission mods (I've only done a variator) to big bore kits and stretches ... and we all love them equally. They really are superb scooters. Easy, stable, parts are cheap and easy to find, dead reliable. Friends of mine rode them across country and continue to ride the same bikes. They turn up at or below $1500 in good shape fairly often, and honestly I'd say it's worth waiting a little or stretching your budget a couple hundred unless there's some subjective reason you'd prefer something else, which is fine.

Here's a Piaggio Fly 150 for $1700, again probably negotiable: https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/d/lake-oswego-2009-piaggio-fly-150-vespa/6865776793.html These have the same (good) motors as the Vespa ET4/LX150/S150 but are less luxurious (plastic bodies instead of metal).

Here's an Elite 150 someone made ugly for $700: https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/d/wilsonville-honda-1985-ch150elitedeluxe/6866405983.html They took it apart to paint it which concerns me but they are good scooters, barring the plastic parts availability mentioned before. Jim Silly Balls can probably offer more info. A friend has one and it is surprisingly plush to ride. However, they don't have any storage and the floorboards aren't flat (plus they have a foot brake) which seriously limits their grocery hauling.

You linked this Kymco Like: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/d/portland-kymco/6868076644.html This is probably fine. Kymcos maybe don't have the fit and finish or aftermarket that other scooters have but they are fine. I think these Kymcos are technically like 170-180cc so it should be a little beefier than most 125-150s.

Here's a Buddy 170i for $1600: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-genuine-scooter-buddy-170i/6867020070.html Buddies are good scooters and available in 50/125/150/170. The 170s are quick but I think this one is overpriced for the weathering and mileage.

And ergonomics matter. Like, the Zuma 125 is great, but it has a slightly high and definitely wide seat, which makes it hard to flat foot. I'm 5' 8"ish and I tiptoe or put just one foot down, so for a first-timer or someone smaller, that might be tough. They're also a little porky for a 125. The Buddys, though, are tiny. I actually walked into a going-out-of-business sale in '09 to buy one and felt it was too small for me, compared to the Vino 125 I showed up on. But that might be perfect! (I ended up buying a Stella instead. Probably don't do that.)

Like any luxury vehicle Vespas can be a bit more expensive to keep running. This isn't much of an issue with the 150s, which are pretty simple, but still more than the Japanese and Taiwanese bikes.

So, y'know, what do you want? Do you plan on riding 2-up? Is being an easy trainer a big deal? Do you want to modify it? What are your expectations?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

Interesting suggestion. Do you have any experience with that bike?

a bit... but I would like more 😪

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Zuma 125 is round about what i want its:
1) Pretty good for the area i live in (Astoria, OR)
2) Pretty good for the GF who has never driven a scooter before.
3) Pretty good gas economy when compared to the GF car and my Pickup
4) Pretty good platform to learn to wrench and add a big bore kit.
5) Pretty good to abate me while i wait for my poor BMW F700GS to be fixed

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sorry if my post seems really dumb and I’m in the wrong thread (and I haven’t read through this thread at all except for this page, so I hope I’m not repeating a question that has been asked a million times), but I am very interested in buying an electric bicycle for my ~7 mile commute to/from work in San Diego (I.e, significant inclines, some bike lanes, 95% paved). There is a good route to work that does not require me to get on any significant freeways/interstate, so I only really need to be able to get it up to ~30mph max. I’d like it to have pedals, as I really enjoy cycling, but I’d like motor assistance for some of the bigger hills and when I’m feeling tired after a long day of work. If it could be used for light off-roading (e.g, grass/flat dirt), even better, as there is a little off-road route that could shave a mile or two off my commute). Money isn’t a huge concern, although I’d like to stay under $5k (sub 2k preferred) if that is realistic, idk. Please let me know if I should ask this somewhere else, I just don’t know where to get started on this or what I should even really be looking for. FYI, my current commuter is an old Peugeot road bike, so mostly anything will be an upgrade. Thanks!

E. VVV Cool, thanks!

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 20, 2019

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I think you might want one of the bicycle threads. I think most are over in the YLLS subforum. https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

CA tell me what bike to buy. I’ve owned a Shadow 750, a C10 Concours, and a sumo DRZ 400. Obviously the DRZ was the best. But I don’t really want to get another. I’d like something just a tad bigger for highway speeds. I am still drawn to sumos and dual sports. Honestly I just want to wheelie. I know. Just your average basic bitch over here.

There’s a street legal 525 EXC about 8 hours away from me that I’m definitely not going to go get. But I do love that idea. I lust after the 701 but I don’t want to spend that much money. Same for the CRF450. I need to time travel to like 2025 when I can get those used.

Are there bikes I’m not thinking of? Should I sack up and get the 525? Should I recognize I’m too old to wheelie and get a standard? Or just pay up for the bikes I actually want? Grace me with your wisdom.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DR650 with some mods?

They’re easy to sumo, and you can squeeze a good bit more performance out of them affordably. A pumper carb will get you doing wheelies, I’m led to believe. Exhaust will lighten them quite a bit, and if you want to get into the head you can do a high comp piston or 790 cc kit with just a sleeve, piston, and valves.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I owned a plated wr450 and it wasn't much fun on road. Maybe the exc has longer gearing, but the wr just wasn't made for street riding. You'll have the riding position issues on and dirt bike for highway riding. I owned an mz baghira black panther (do not buy) which was an amazing street able sumo. I think you could get close to recreating that bike with one of the 650 dual sports, a bit of a windscreen, and a nice seat.

The best answer is a hypermotard.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strada, 690 Duke? Those may be pricey for your budget though. I think Stradas/Terras can often be found under $5k.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What's your budget? I've looked at a ton of Huskys recently, and the '18s are getting firesaled right now, they're offering 0% financing on top of that on most of Last year's models, with appropriate credit, I don't know about the 701, but the 530 equivalent was definitely up for that offer.

I've also seen some used 701's in the $5k price range on FB Marketplace and Craigslist.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

$5k is probably my top but that would be very doable. I haven’t been looking at FB. Is that a good place these days?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

puberty worked me over posted:

Craigslist is near dead around here everything is on facebook marketplace unfortunately.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3119867&perpage=40&pagenumber=80#post493150112 + fly and ride (or shipping) if you’re not close.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I know. I left California right before he posted that. That bike haunts me. Now I’m in New England

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Get a couple of [url= https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711WRP5Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H9iVCbFGM7HG4"]these[/url] some of this and a plane ticket.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You forgot this and these.

e: fixed. loving awful app

ought ten fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 22, 2019

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I already pm'd shamelessly. I have ridden it a couple times between Seattle and Oakland and it's doable to ride long distance but by no means comfortable.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I already pm'd shamelessly. I have ridden it a couple times between Seattle and Oakland and it's doable to ride long distance but by no means comfortable.

And believe me I would have done it. Left the Bay Area about three weeks before you posted it for sale.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

1redflag posted:

Sorry if my post seems really dumb and I’m in the wrong thread (and I haven’t read through this thread at all except for this page, so I hope I’m not repeating a question that has been asked a million times), but I am very interested in buying an electric bicycle for my ~7 mile commute to/from work in San Diego (I.e, significant inclines, some bike lanes, 95% paved). There is a good route to work that does not require me to get on any significant freeways/interstate, so I only really need to be able to get it up to ~30mph max. I’d like it to have pedals, as I really enjoy cycling, but I’d like motor assistance for some of the bigger hills and when I’m feeling tired after a long day of work. If it could be used for light off-roading (e.g, grass/flat dirt), even better, as there is a little off-road route that could shave a mile or two off my commute). Money isn’t a huge concern, although I’d like to stay under $5k (sub 2k preferred) if that is realistic, idk. Please let me know if I should ask this somewhere else, I just don’t know where to get started on this or what I should even really be looking for. FYI, my current commuter is an old Peugeot road bike, so mostly anything will be an upgrade. Thanks!

E. VVV Cool, thanks!

I’ve owned a few e bikes. sondors thin, evelo delta, and a surface 604 shred

delta was probably my fave since it had a mid drive motor (better on hills) and far better forks (rock shocks vs sub tours on the surface 604), but the shred is what I have now and is a very very good bike for $2.1k (get the biggest battery you can)

highly recommend you buy a bike with torque sensors on it and plus size tires so you can run those for mtb and then commuter tires as well. I’ve put a little over 1.5k miles on my shred communing to and from work here in portland over the past year or so. no issues riding in rain, I literally rode it every day, 5x/week for over a year. I’ve rode up to OHSU from my place on the south waterfront so yeah, hills are no problem!

lmk if you have more questions. e bikes are super fun and the shred is a great commuter and kicks rear end doing lighter mtb stuff in forest park and central OR

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

right arm posted:

lmk if you have more questions. e bikes are super fun and the shred is a great commuter and kicks rear end doing lighter mtb stuff in forest park and central OR

Cool! This is very helpful. I’m doing a little research on my own about this, but I may take you up on your offer when I get closer to pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of picking up a 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE that I've found one close to me for ~$5K.

I'm looking for a commuter to get from my office to night classes 7.5 miles away in west Los Angeles in 4pm heavy traffic. On the weekends I'd like to do some breakfast runs with a couple of friends who ride scramblers and SV650's. I haven't ridden regularly in ~4 years, but I've owned a Rebel, KLR 250, CB360, and a KZ650 at different points in my life. This would be the "biggest" bike I've owned.

Anything I should be aware of? Think this will fit my mission?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a 2009 Triumph Bonneville SE that I've found one close to me for ~$5K.

I'm looking for a commuter to get from my office to night classes 7.5 miles away in west Los Angeles in 4pm heavy traffic. On the weekends I'd like to do some breakfast runs with a couple of friends who ride scramblers and SV650's. I haven't ridden regularly in ~4 years, but I've owned a Rebel, KLR 250, CB360, and a KZ650 at different points in my life. This would be the "biggest" bike I've owned.

I commute every day on my motorcycle and I too loved the old school look of the Bonneville. My first motorcycle was a 74 Triumph Trident so I've always had love in my heart for Brit bikes. At the end of the day I wound up picking up a Yamaha Xsr700 because as my main method of transportation, I wanted the reliability of a Japanese bike.

I ride it to work 25 miles in San Diego traffic on a combination of side streets and highway and consider it almost the perfect Southern Californian motorcycle. They are cheap, fast, nimble, and super easy to lanesplit in. MSRP brand new is like 8,500 so you could definitely find sub 5k models used on Craigslist.

That's not to say the Bonneville is a bad bike per say but they tend to run expensive for what they are and if you are less concerned about the name on the bike, you can get more bang for your buck.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 23, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a friend who commutes from Santa Cruz to Orange County on a Bonneville and really likes it, I think it'd be fine for your needs. It's not a very powerful engine, all things considered.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Yeah you will be ruined for driving after riding thru rush hour in LA

I ride in LA and it’s hella sick brah

Bonneville should be really easy to handle around here. What engine size are they, 800 parallel twin?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah you will be ruined for driving after riding thru rush hour in LA

I ride in LA and it’s hella sick brah

Bonneville should be really easy to handle around here. What engine size are they, 800 parallel twin?

Seems like the best way to get over there. Public transit would be about an hour, driving is 40 minutes, bike should be about 30 min?

"The Bonneville SE is powered by an air-cooled, DOHC parallel twin-cylinder engine that, with a bore and stroke of 90 x 68mm, displaces 865cc. This results in a very rev-happy big-bore/short-stroke configuration that allows our test bike to rev to 8,000 rpm." Messed around on my buddies Scrambler and the CG felt just right for lane splitting. I've never been a freeway guy, but early morning PCH rides would be nice.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

PCH is really nice on a bike, I used to commute from Camarillo to Santa Monica on it

Pretty much getting around when there’s traffic means finding the nearest freeway and lane splitting to you destination

I cannot overstate how much faster you will get around in LA on a bike, even a bicycle will beat traffic most days

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hell Yeah! We'll see what tomorrow brings :getin:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bought it for $4625. Stoked! Going to tackle traffic when I get out of here for the day. These bonneville’s ride so politely.

Edit: Yep, traffic just doesn’t exist now. Man what a great way to turn a slog into something fun.

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 24, 2019

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Hey goons, I have a few questions.

My 62 year old pops has "semi retired" from factory work and is working part time behind a parts counter for something to do and spending cash while waiting for his retirement to kick in.

Long story short, a few weeks ago he drops the bomb on me that he's thinking about getting a bike. He's been enamored with the Honda Monkey, but it's 125cc engine and hunchy riding position put him onto a Honda Rebel.

Now he's really talking it up seriously and dammit, I want in on the fun! I tried to get him to go in with me on an early 70's Honda 350 F like he used to have when I was a keed, but he poo poo-d that really quick, as it needed resto and he told me horror stories of synching up four carbs.

Now, I spent some time on Facebook marketplace looking at Ninja 250s of all ages, some older 80's and 90's bikes of 500 and up to an early 80's Goldwing. Yeah, budget is a big factor, as I'm just wanting something that will NOT bust my bank as it's got dust bunnies and tumbleweeds behind it's open and clangy door.

I don't mind something I may have to tinker with a little. I have some experience with ATVs, as I grew up around them, so I have a passing knowledge of carbs, things like that.

In other words, I can keep my lawn mower running.

I'm in south western Virginia if that's helpful at all.

I'd mostly use it for weekend rides with dad, we have some great little side and back roads around here, and I could ride it back and forth to work.

Budget is..eh, high side, $2,000. Is that way too little? Should I take income tax and squirrel away until I find something in my budget?

Any help would be groovy!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
How’s the SV650 market in SW Virginia? If you’re comfortable with carbs the early 2000s-era SV’s always seemed like a lot of bang for the buck.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also remember to account for riding gear in your budget.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 4, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm selling a Ninja 500 in Philadelphia for $1200 with a leaking left floater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are Hypermotards any good.. and is the little 796 engine enough?

They were mentioned upthread and it got me thinking about maybe filling up a bit of garage space. I borrowed a mates suzuki supermoto a few years ago and it was great fun.

Looks like about 5k gets a 796 with 15000km on it which doesn't sound bad.