Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

For me it's about the fact that livestock and beef in particular are horrible for the environment. If you haven't tried an Impossible Burger/Beyond Burger (or their sausages) they really are quite good. Good enough that I bet more often than not you could serve one to someone and they wouldn't know it's not beef. I'm really looking forward to the Impossible Burger Whopper if it ever gets rolled out nationwide; get a burger, feel a lot less guilty about the environmental aspects of eating it.

re: getting rid of soda. Get yourselves a Soda Stream, it's so goddamned cheap to make seltzer water at home. Plain ice cold seltzer water owns. I made it even cheaper by getting an adapter that lets you use paintball style CO2 cylinders, costs me $6 to fill two 20oz tanks at my local liquor store.
Soda Stream is manufactured in the occupied West Bank. gently caress Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fallom posted:

Don't have to give up soda, just switch to diet. There's a million more varieties these days than there used to be.

This has been repeatedly proven over several decades to be also really bad. Arguably worse. Which is why I think you might've been sarcastic?

Different sweeteners pose different health challenges, but one that they share is that your body tastes SWEET so it thinks SUGAR then there's no actual sugar/not as many calories as expected, so you start craving and overeating.

I've been drastically cutting down on my soda intake, because I'm definitely a loving goon on that one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

This has been repeatedly proven over several decades to be also really bad. Arguably worse. Which is why I think you might've been sarcastic?

Different sweeteners pose different health challenges, but one that they share is that your body tastes SWEET so it thinks SUGAR then there's no actual sugar/not as many calories as expected, so you start craving and overeating.

I've been drastically cutting down on my soda intake, because I'm definitely a loving goon on that one.

I’m having an impossible time giving up rockstar sugar free orange/lemon/fruit punch.

All other sodas ok sure go away sugar/diet but i can’t stop these drat things.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

have you fuckers ever try drinking water and/or tea?

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

Their baby palates require ultra-sweetened fizzy drinks or else they end up having adult temper tantrums.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

I drink a ton of water regardless, to reduce kidney stones. I've never cared for tea, but I've been trying different kinds hoping to find something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

There's nothing remotely proven about artificial sweeteners causing significant health issues. You might as well tell me that the Yellow #5 in Mountain Dew makes your dick shrink.

I know that studies show some people respond to diet drinks by overeating but if you're actually watching your food intake that seems pretty avoidable.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 21, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Everything is bad. Everything will kill you.

Beef/Beer 2020

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

I drink a ton of water regardless, to reduce kidney stones. I've never cared for tea, but I've been trying different kinds hoping to find something.

Chai, Black and Earl Grey are good if you like to add milk or almond milk, a sweetner to it and still want some caffeine.

Green is good to sip on its own but still has a little caffeine

Herbal tea is really dependant, but my GF likes licorish tea because she likes licorish candy.

I went from drinking almost 4-8 cups of coffee daily to only having 1 and sipping tea through the day.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

cup of coffee and glass of oj in the morning, water the rest of the day. Only drink soda when there's nothing else (like unsweet iced tea) available and I need the caffeine/sugar. Once a month or so.

Need to up my activity besides a weekly hash run. Like, a lot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

joat mon posted:

Beef/Beer 2020

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

it was easier for me to give up cigarettes than soda

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Same.

I'm down to diet sodas only and I'm limiting my intake. I cut out caffeine almost entirely unless I have a major headache or asthma attacks.

I'm drinking way more water than I used to and since I've done these things, my poop is usually a lot more consistent and less painful or surprising.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Soda Stream is manufactured in the occupied West Bank. gently caress Israel.

I'm sure there are other devices that can make seltzer water dude. Also like I said, I bought an adapter that lets me not use their proprietary tank refills. Other than the initial machine they don't get a dime from me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

I drink 20 ounces of water with two green tea bags(fresh bags at breakfast only) suspended in them before each meal even if gags me. Curbs my appetite a bit. The plus side is I’m peeing like a race horse on the clock.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Picked up an old canon 24-105 OIS F4 gen 1 for my film slr. It’s pretty loving fantastic. Having optical image stabilization on film is very cool.
Can’t wait to use it out in Wyoming next week.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Don’t drink diet soda. Aspartame is loving awful for you.

If any of you get restless leg syndrome and have no idea why, it’s from aspartame. Which is in a lot of poo poo you have no idea until you read the label.

Since I did my own research and figured out that’s what was causing my RLS, when someone mentions that they have RLS I tell them to stop drinking diet soda and stop chewing gum (those are the two major sources for people) and their RLS goes away.

Who knows what else the gently caress it’s doing to people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/dmcffd/status/1119809218322817024?s=21

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted something to happen so badly.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nothing quite like being down by 2 in the last 2 minutes only to tie it up and win in double overtime.

I also got to meet Landon Donovan last night briefly, incredibly nice guy. My "thing" is to thank USMNT players for their service by prefacing mine. The players I've spoken to really appreciate the sentiment. I never ask or really say anything else.

album: https://imgur.com/a/LuohVZl

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Fallom posted:

Don't have to give up soda, just switch to diet. There's a million more varieties these days than there used to be.

Replacing one thing you've been having too much of with something else is never good, and I'm guessing the aspartame will eventually kill you too, but the amount of sugar in soda will kill you loving dead right quick.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I drink a few cans a day sometimes. If I could find selzter water with decent flavoring I would switch. Not "rode next to some apples on the way over" flavor.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soulex posted:

I drink a few cans a day sometimes. If I could find selzter water with decent flavoring I would switch. Not "rode next to some apples on the way over" flavor.

Cheap flavored seltzer water in giant bottles existed in grocery stores long before the trendy junk. It can be a little too strong, though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-American-Cherry-Limeade-Sparkling-Water-33-8-Fl-Oz/24034028

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love plain Schweppes seltzer water. It's a shame it impossible to find it outside of liquor stores around here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Seriously, just get a soda stream (or whatever brand carbonator) and make your own at home. It's loving great and will save you a ton of money and effort schlepping cases of water around.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I have a sodastream, I'm just not home enough to use it regularly.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad decided to tell me today that he's getting surgery for prostate cancer at the end of the month. Also that he's known about it for a year and they were keeping an eye on it, so that's a good sign I hope.

For gently caress's sake though, I wish my parents would communicate a little better when they get serious illnesses. My mom had a minor heart attack a few years ago and didn't feel a need to tell me. Ended up hearing about it from my dad first, even though they divorced 15 years ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Found out today that my uncle probably has Parkinson's in addition to his alcoholism that started either in his teens or after getting back from Vietnam; either way he's likely on his way out in the next few months. Another uncle was just hospitalized with pneumonia, but the other one (twin of the first) has had his heart problems settle down so at least that's good. I haven't been back to visit since their dad died in the mid 90s, so it's probably a good time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slim Pickens posted:

My dad decided to tell me today that he's getting surgery for prostate cancer at the end of the month. Also that he's known about it for a year and they were keeping an eye on it, so that's a good sign I hope.

For gently caress's sake though, I wish my parents would communicate a little better when they get serious illnesses. My mom had a minor heart attack a few years ago and didn't feel a need to tell me. Ended up hearing about it from my dad first, even though they divorced 15 years ago.

If it "helps" as far as cancers go, prostate cancer is relatively... well benign. Shoot it's one of the 5 cancers (prostate, lung, thyroid, and two types of skin cancer) my old man has had and he's still kicking around. IIRC they only treated it via surgery because of his history with other cancers.

Still sucks being kept out of the loop though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he told me they figured it might be a problem 10-15 years down the road, but it ended up progressing quicker than expected. At least he'll be around a while longer, and yay for modern medicine.

I guess that time he called and wanted to talk about what happens to his stuff when he's gone makes more sense now. Even a favorable diagnosis would make most of us think about mortality a bit.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 22, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If it "helps" as far as cancers go, prostate cancer is relatively... well benign. Shoot it's one of the 5 cancers (prostate, lung, thyroid, and two types of skin cancer) my old man has had and he's still kicking around. IIRC they only treated it via surgery because of his history with other cancers.

Still sucks being kept out of the loop though.

yeah prostate cancer is very treatable, the survival rate is drat near 100% if it dosn't spread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The current treatment methods are pretty cool too, they insert a bunch of radioactive seeds of Iodine-125 around the cancer, and the low amount of gamma particles released are just strong enough to affect the cancer and their immediate surrounding, and nothing more, and they have a half life of ~60 days.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwi0ESNBaPb/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dude dads are supposed to have overpowering weapons. Where's the belt fed nerf saw that he should rightfully own as the patriarch? Is it in his wifes' purse?

Relevant to VA chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j_f7pvZALQ

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

You need to establish dominance over that disrespectful little poo poo and hit him with a bean bag shotgun. Scream about being a god drat veteran while he lays on his side clutching his abdomen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slim Pickens posted:

You need to establish dominance over that disrespectful little poo poo and hit him with a bean bag shotgun. Scream about being a god drat veteran while he lays on his side clutching his abdomen.

I sincerely wish more shows did the "weapons actually loving hurt" and "guns make everyone deaf" gag more often.

Always got me when they did that with Archer.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3eri5WAeD8

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bengy81 posted:

I love plain Schweppes seltzer water. It's a shame it impossible to find it outside of liquor stores around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioH1GFtw22U

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The apartment next door has been empty for months. Someone moved in this weekend and spectrum came out for their internet / cable installation.

And cut ours off. loving spectrum.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That exact thing happened to me once and it was also Charter. I'm moving to another building in my neighborhood and I don't think it's wired for AT&T fiber like my current unit, it's going to suck going from 1000/1000 fiber to whatever trash Charter is offering for almost the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Centurylink has done that to me. Also hooked up the wrong apartment the first time they came out. Dude put a note in the box the last time it happened to attempt to keep other techs from loving it up.