Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm going to my first proper timber yard tomorrow and I'm a lil excited!

picking out the stringers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm going to my first proper timber yard tomorrow and I'm a lil excited!

My wife and girls went with me on my first trip to the nice lumber yard last weekend and my wife got all wide-eyed like, "wait so you could just make a table out of ... THIS OR THIS? [pointing at large stacks of zebrawood and wormy maple and curly cherry]."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

picking out the stringers?

yeah, and a sheet of ply for the risers, plus a couple of door linings to take home.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I'm going down there specifically to pick out some boards and I've already called ahead and checked that they're OK with me then arranging delivery of those specific boards.

I'm only buying paint-quality softwood this time so I'm not looking for miracles, just straight and sound timber.

Edit: That said, if I need to dig through a whole stack of graded wood to get a piece that's suitable for that grade then I'm gonna do it, if they're bothered about that they should source better wood. (I don't think they'll be bothered about it)

A tip on stacking lumber that wasn't obvious to me: it's more important to make each layer as wide as the one beneath it, than it is to pack each layer as tightly as possible. If you pack each layer tightly, you will end up with a nasty pyramid instead of a nice rectangle.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, this whole cross-dowel thing is turning out to be way more of a pain just to get my hands on the hardware than I would have expected. McMaster-Carr has cross dowels, but only up to 1/4", which feels a little scrawny to me for this application. Home Depot and Lowes have even worse selection. The bolts of course are easy; any 3/8" 16TPI bolt would do the job fine.

Horton's bed bolts have square heads. They sell a custom wrench for installing them; do you include one of those with each of the beds you sell?

You don’t need the wrench. A standard 12 point socket will work on the square heads-I think a 7/16” or 3/8”? I use an impact wrench, but a plain ratchet works too. If the corners start to strip the 12 point socket won’t work and you have to rig up something square using the female end that’s square of a 3/8” adapter.

Out of curiosity, why do you need 10 instead of 8? Putting some in the headboard or something?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You don’t need the wrench. A standard 12 point socket will work on the square heads-I think a 7/16” or 3/8”? I use an impact wrench, but a plain ratchet works too. If the corners start to strip the 12 point socket won’t work and you have to rig up something square using the female end that’s square of a 3/8” adapter.

Out of curiosity, why do you need 10 instead of 8? Putting some in the headboard or something?

Good to know about the wrench. And yeah, I want 10 because of the headboard. It's basically an extra rail with some curved boards running between it and the rail that supports the mattress on that side. I could probably get away with only a single bolt for the headboard if I permanently attached the two rails to a post, and then used the bed bolts to attach the post to the leg. But it feels cleaner and less work to just use an extra pair of bolts.

(Oh yeah, and I misremembered the width of my rails -- they're 9/8", not 7/8")

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hello woodworking thread, i want to build a table for my big green egg

it will be stored outdoors, but kept under my awning so it wont get a lot of direct sunlight on it.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this:

but i think i'll probably put a stainless steel top surface on it for ease of cleaning, like this:

i'd like this to last 10 years minimum but i dont think it deserves the cost of any sort of exotic wood.

I'm not sure what kind of wood to use...i'm in the PNW so would cedar be a good option for durability and ability to show some nice grain? Prefer something red or could be stained red.

thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Cedar and redwood are both good woods for exterior use. You can expect them to turn grey in the sunlight though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Blessed serving board.

36” mesquite. Live edge. Hand forged iron handles.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Cedar and redwood are both good woods for exterior use. You can expect them to turn grey in the sunlight though.

How do you suggest treating cedar for outdoor uses? I want to put up some new fenceposts and don't mind a weathered look but my area gets <10 inches of rain a year.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blindeye posted:

How do you suggest treating cedar for outdoor uses? I want to put up some new fenceposts and don't mind a weathered look but my area gets <10 inches of rain a year.

It's naturally rot-resistant. In a dry environment I wouldn't expect any problems. You can stain or seal or paint it if you like, but the raw wood should last fine on its own.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Good to know about the wrench. And yeah, I want 10 because of the headboard. It's basically an extra rail with some curved boards running between it and the rail that supports the mattress on that side. I could probably get away with only a single bolt for the headboard if I permanently attached the two rails to a post, and then used the bed bolts to attach the post to the leg. But it feels cleaner and less work to just use an extra pair of bolts.

(Oh yeah, and I misremembered the width of my rails -- they're 9/8", not 7/8")
I think you'll be in much better shape with a 9/8" rail. I'd stick with the 1/2" tenon and the extra meat on the cheeks should help prevent racking. I don't usually put a bolt in the headboard, it's either solid or glued up as an assembly with two arms that go into the post, and the headrail (same dims as the other rails) holds it together like this (apologies for badly instagrammed picture):

You think you need a bolt there until you find out how damned strong a bed bolted mortise and tenon is. Having one definitely won't hurt except that you'll have a bolt hole cover in kind of a funky place.

Feenix posted:

Blessed serving board.

36” mesquite. Live edge. Hand forged iron handles.
Disastercuttingboard jokes aside, that looks great! Really nice warm color to it like old European walnut antiques. I think you've about got your cutting board finishing process perfected :discourse:

Since there was some Festool chat earlier, do any of y'all own or have used a Domino? I'm all about traditional mortise and tenon joints for the most part, but may be doing some funky angled stuff soon where it seems like a domino would be very handy if they're all they're cracked up to be, but they're stupid expensive?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hello wood thread, I need to cut some stuff with a circular saw and since I've only done this a few times I would like ideas how to make it reasonably straight and not remove any limbs.

This is just a garden box so I don't give any particular shits about it looking perfect. My thought is to just cut straight across as is, saw on the flat side, then flip it and cut across again to take the other piece off. Is there a better way I should be doing this or should that work?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think you'll be in much better shape with a 9/8" rail. I'd stick with the 1/2" tenon and the extra meat on the cheeks should help prevent racking. I don't usually put a bolt in the headboard, it's either solid or glued up as an assembly with two arms that go into the post, and the headrail (same dims as the other rails) holds it together like this (apologies for badly instagrammed picture):

You think you need a bolt there until you find out how damned strong a bed bolted mortise and tenon is. Having one definitely won't hurt except that you'll have a bolt hole cover in kind of a funky place.

Thanks as always for the advice! I went ahead and ordered 2 8-packs of cross dowels from Woodpecker. I'll try the fit without extra bolts for the headboard, and if it feels solid then I can omit them entirely and have a full pack of extra cross dowels for some future project.

By "two arms that go into the post", I take it you mean that the headboard attaches to the legs with mortise and tenon joints, they're just dry joints without any fasteners directly holding them in place? And they stay in position because the rail is bolted in place, which in turn keeps the legs from moving to release the headboard.

I'm musing over bolt hole cover designs that I can do myself out of wood. Something simple like a 2"x2"x1/2" block of wood with an ogee profile around the edges and a circular plug glued on the underside, sized to fit the bolt hole. I know there's purchaseable covers that look like metal medallions held in place with a screw, but I'm really not big on visible metal in my projects. Something that gently press-fits into place and can be pried out if the bed needs to be disassembled seems more my speed.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello wood thread, I need to cut some stuff with a circular saw and since I've only done this a few times I would like ideas how to make it reasonably straight and not remove any limbs.

This is just a garden box so I don't give any particular shits about it looking perfect. My thought is to just cut straight across as is, saw on the flat side, then flip it and cut across again to take the other piece off. Is there a better way I should be doing this or should that work?

It's not clear to me exactly what you want to cut, but the rule for making good cuts with the circular saw is basically just to clamp a straight edge that you can run the side of the saw's shoe along. Then just make sure the workpiece is supported at two points on both sides of the cut (so that when you cut through it, the wood doesn't flip away from you) and you should be good to go. You shouldn't need to flip the piece over to complete a cut; just adjust the saw's cut depth so it goes 1/8" deeper than the thickness of the board you're cutting.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 19, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
edit nvm misunderstood

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Grand Fromage posted:

Are you trying to cut that piece of OSB to be a bottom for the box?

Get it up on some sawhorses (or other garden furniture or whatever), make sure the piece you're cutting off will fall away from the bigger piece. Clamp a 2x4 across the sheet to act as a fence for the saw to ride against. Make sure to keep in mind the 2x4 won't be clamped along your cut line because you need to account for the distance from the edge of the foot of your saw to the blade.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that works. Cut slow and steady. If it's a right-handed saw, your body to the left, etc. Whatever you're using for a table or sawhorses, make sure the dropoff piece falls clear- i.e. you're not cutting between 2 sawhorses. If you've got it clamped to that box, then obviously your cut line needs blue sky below it....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Since there was some Festool chat earlier, do any of y'all own or have used a Domino? I'm all about traditional mortise and tenon joints for the most part, but may be doing some funky angled stuff soon where it seems like a domino would be very handy if they're all they're cracked up to be, but they're stupid expensive?

Dude, Idk about the Domino, never used one, but I really like your shop and especially that Crescent bandsaw. That's how old shop tool logos ought to look, like WWII bombers imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Dude, Idk about the Domino, never used one, but I really like your shop and especially that Crescent bandsaw. That's how old shop tool logos ought to look, like WWII bombers imo.
I wish I could claim it-that’s the shop I used to work in. The owner was good friends with a sign painter and he painted it. It’s apparently one of 2 38” saws Crescent ever made. It must have a 15hp motor on it (no nameplate of course. I guess nobody had invented motor nameplates yet in 194X) because you can just about throw 4” thick stuff through it. He has a 16” Crescent jointer too that he had to add a motor on because it was running off a line shaft when he bought it.

I love the modern European/Italian machinery, but it doesn’t have the style and the curves that good old American iron has.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 19, 2019

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Happy with my new plywood countertop (so far):

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hey, I made it by Easter. Yesterday I hauled it home from the workshop. Today I broke all the edges, applied finish (amber shellac; a coat of poly will be coming later; I ran out of time and don't want my house to stink while hosting Easter tomorrow), cut the legs to final length, and glued up the frame and attached the top with buttons. Busy fuckin' day.

I'll write up a proper blog post for it later. Overall I'm real happy with this project. Flattening a 7'x3.5' surface with hand planes is a son of a bitch. Seats 6 comfortably and 8 with a little squeezing. Also fits our room dimensions far better than our previous table did. I'm eager to see how the cherry ages over the next couple of years in a brightly lit room.

Also bonus cat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ColdPie posted:

Hey, I made it by Easter. Yesterday I hauled it home from the workshop. Today I broke all the edges, applied finish (amber shellac; a coat of poly will be coming later; I ran out of time and don't want my house to stink while hosting Easter tomorrow), cut the legs to final length, and glued up the frame and attached the top with buttons. Busy fuckin' day.

I'll write up a proper blog post for it later. Overall I'm real happy with this project. Flattening a 7'x3.5' surface with hand planes is a son of a bitch. Seats 6 comfortably and 8 with a little squeezing. Also fits our room dimensions far better than our previous table did. I'm eager to see how the cherry ages over the next couple of years in a brightly lit room.

Also bonus cat.

Props. That's a big old table you can be proud of.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That is a good-looking table, and it fits your chairs well. Nice work!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also here to say the table is great. You should be proud.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
:drat: that's gorgeous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ColdPie posted:

Also bonus cat.

Wonderful. You should be proud

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Why didn't anyone tell me splitting and paring the cheeks off tenons was so fun? They probably won't fit worth a drat but hey, learning.

*Edit*. Lol yeah they are way too loose. Good thing I started off with 3/4" tenons, can just switch to 1/2" and trim them down after doing the rest of the mortises.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 22, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

What would yall pay for a good used bar clamp? I passed up 30+ at a garage sale years ago and found some again

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s kind of amazing how much time a person can spend making an aesthetically pleasing solid block of wood.

Having a gas fireplace installed in my basement, needed a mantel. If I wanted solid wood instead of a box, it was going to cost me $300-$600. But I know a guy, so I grabbed a $100 piece of walnut and cleaned it up myself.

Forgot a full before pic, but here it is after running it over the jointer a few times and a couple light passes through the planer.

All cleaned up and sanded, ready for finishing:

The grain is clear but still has some nice figuring to it, should have a bit of chatoyancy once the finish is applied.

Final dimensions are 3.5” thick, 7” deep, and 52” long.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

That is a sweet block. I did a herringbone tile fireplace surround for a piece of walnut just like that and it looked great

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

What would yall pay for a good used bar clamp? I passed up 30+ at a garage sale years ago and found some again

How long and what are they asking? :10bux: is good

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Anyone have suggestions on good coping and fret saws? I am willing to spend more money to get something higher quality.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That is a sweet block. I did a herringbone tile fireplace surround for a piece of walnut just like that and it looked great

Nice, I can picture a surround like that, it bet it looks nice.

In this case, I ripped out a wood burner that we used precisely once when our heat went out a couple winters ago. Here’s what it looked like before:

Why yes, that is veneer thickness stone attached directly to drywall. Except at the very bottom, where there were some black tiles attached to the drywall, maybe as part of an old surround, and the stone was attached to that.

Anyhow, I totally gutted that.

New gas unit is already installed, they’re coming out this week to install the hearth and put some framing in, then the rest of the stone after that some time. Final thing will look like this:

The hearth will be shimmed up to overlap the new floating floor I’ll be installing. Went to the stone shop the other day, hearth was all done, pretty happy with that:

And this is the actual stone they’ll be using for the main body of the thing, which will be bumped out with a final thickness of about 6”:

It’s a big project but I’m excited.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

How long and what are they asking? :10bux: is good

They look to be ~4' but I was wrong, I think they are those orange pony pipe clamps not bar

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've been hunting a sander and a bandsaw on craigslist.

Yesterday, I hit paydirt.

For $200 I walked off with a benchtop table saw (small 3-wheeled Grizzly), a Grizzly 12inch disk sander, a shop fox drill press/oscillating sander (didn't know that existed), and the stand for them.

I also got a free 1960s Craftsman radial arm saw.

The RAS needs some work, but gently caress it, for free? I certainly won't mind doing a spit shine and seeing if it works well. It came with every accessory under the sun.

Plus, Everton thrashed Man U.

What a weekend.

OH! And the weather turned around! I spent 7 hours playing with power tools, cleaning out the shop, and working on some raised garden beds! Absolutely wonderful.

EDIT: @Bad Munki: :eyepop: Nice!

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 22, 2019

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

DevNull posted:

Anyone have suggestions on good coping and fret saws? I am willing to spend more money to get something higher quality.

I got the knew concepts and love it, but the only other I've tried is whatever home depot sells.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone in the northwest know anything about this?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Anyone in the northwest know anything about this?

I've heard really good things, and that you need to be there really early to get the good deals. Although I'm not sure HOW early that really is.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Falco posted:

I've heard really good things, and that you need to be there really early to get the good deals. Although I'm not sure HOW early that really is.

Lol from their faq:

How early should I get to the tent sale?
As early as possible. We have a huge customer turnout for our tent sales and have had some customers come several days in advance to get in line. Friendships have been developed between many early arrivals over the years, with meals and stories shared as they wait collectively for the gates to open on tent sale morning. Early arrivals also get a sneak peek as we bring merchandise out to the tents. Some customers bring binoculars to help them “focus” in on the exact machine they are looking for in the tents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Lol from their faq:

How early should I get to the tent sale?
As early as possible. We have a huge customer turnout for our tent sales and have had some customers come several days in advance to get in line. Friendships have been developed between many early arrivals over the years, with meals and stories shared as they wait collectively for the gates to open on tent sale morning. Early arrivals also get a sneak peek as we bring merchandise out to the tents. Some customers bring binoculars to help them “focus” in on the exact machine they are looking for in the tents.

they have people camping out in tents for a tent sale?

sounds intense