Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ginette Reno posted:

It doesn't help that they killed off most of the good actors too. Now they have to lean on bad actors to carry bad dialogue and it doesn't often work.

Like half of the conversations that happened in last night's episode I can't picture GRMM ever writing. The dialogue was so clunky.

The show definitely has identifiable templates when it comes to writing dialogue. Specific characters have common trends (like Tyrion and Varys just trade quips while fellating each others' intelligence and ruminating how different they are) but a shocking number of dialogue scenes boil down to something like this:

A: asks question (e.g. "what are you going to do?")

B: quip based on question/evades questions with another question (e.g. "what must be done"/"what do you think I'm going to do?")

This back-and-forth continues without resolution until the scene gets interrupted by someone else arriving and changing the topic or one of the characters walking off dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

and pissed off he didnt get to kill aejon snowgaryen

giantbobbybheadscreaminginthebackground.jpg

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why? What is she actually gonna do? Turn on him mid-battle? command Rhaegal to drop him off on the night king?

Not really but why mentally rattle her literally just hours before she's going to be hopping into the 2nd and a half time she's actually had to go into a battle where she's actually in any sort of danger? And one where she's going to have to be working together with you extremely closely?

It's a dumb move, very Starky

Edit: but you're right there's no way this doesn't get "settled" by the time they're actually fighting the battle, probably in the form of Jon once again asserting that he doesn't want to rule anything, despite what keeps happening.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 22, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

In It For The Tank posted:

The show definitely has identifiable templates when it comes to writing dialogue. Specific characters have common trends (like Tyrion and Varys just trade quips while fellating each others' intelligence and ruminating how different they are) but a shocking number of dialogue scenes boil down to something like this:

B: quip based on question/evades questions with another question (e.g. "what must be done"/"what do you think I'm going to do?")

This back-and-forth continues without resolution until the scene gets interrupted by someone else arriving and changing the topic or one of the characters walking off dramatically.

Sir, please send us your resume to d.and.d@gameofthrones.com - you're perfect for the job!

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
If we upload a virus to the mothership which somehow can be connected to with a mac it will propagate out to all the other ships. This may give you guys enough time to uhh take em take em out take em down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The dialogue this season reminds me of watching a Marvel movie. It's that cheesy and bad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also love how they have all the greatest war strategists in the world gathered under one roof and what they come up with is "idk lets stand out front and see if the Night King lets us kill him"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also love how they have all the greatest war strategists in the world gathered under one roof and what they come up with is "idk lets stand out front and see if the Night King lets us kill him"

Or how Brienne was given command of a flank despite no leadership experience or any experience fighting in a war.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Ginette Reno posted:

I can't picture GRMM ever writing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's really not a terrible plan. They've got giants thst can just kick the gates down and the infantry are themselves siege weapons (can climb walls and pile themselves up) so any castle defense strategy is worthless.

You pretty much have to face them in the field head on with the Dothraki cavalry closing them in/encircling them, with falling back behind the dragonglass hedgehogs (those big six pointed barricade things) as a last resort.

But it's all kinda pointless because we know it's going to be a shitshow where NK wins for plot reasons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Why? What is she actually gonna do? Turn on him mid-battle? command Rhaegal to drop him off on the night king?

This was part of my beef with these two episodes, all the tension is fake, Dany and Jon are not going to have a big conflict which actually has meaningful consequence, much like how it was obvious that Sansa and Dany are never going to do anything about their whole battle of witticisms and eye rolls in the first episode.

If anything the dragons are going to turn on mom and fly off with dad because he lets them stay up late and doesn't send them to time out in a dark pit in Mereene for a season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah I didn't expect them to try and survive a siege or anything but the dude who schemed away half of Stannis army before he even hit the beach at KL is sitting right there and it doesn't even look like they asked him if he's got any ideas

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Another hour of people sitting in a room and talking, <30 seconds of CG zombie thing at the very end. Guess it's budget or the maybe it's finally safe to conclude that the cliff notes of the last two books was "jack poo poo happens then there is a big fight the end."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or how Brienne was given command of a flank despite no leadership experience or any experience fighting in a war.

Thinking about this, given the series' aversion to dealing with politics or battles, how deep is their deck? Off the top of my head, the people with field command experience are:
  • Yohn Royce; presumably commanding the right though I don't recall them mentioning it, because nobody cares about the Vale
  • Tyrion; too valuable to risk apparently
  • Jaime; who nobody trusts and has a less than stellar win record
  • AeJon; notably hosed up the one battle he was in charge of
  • Dolorous Edd; as acting Lord Commander would be a sensible choice but I don't think he has any field experience
  • Beric Dondarrion; led the Brotherhood which is something

Of course given that their plan is "sit in a prepared position and wait for the Night King to needlessly expose himself" it probably doesn't make too much difference who is in change.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

gently caress, I knew I was being too verbose

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Seeing Pod start to kick dudes asses in a training fight was a cool moment, the actor was totally doing a Bronn impression during that moment too lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So apparently Brienne killed Yohn Royce's son and heir presumptive, Robar, back in the Renly days? For all that the show loves personal drama it's strange that that's never come up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Another hour of people sitting in a room and talking, <30 seconds of CG zombie thing at the very end. Guess it's budget or the maybe it's finally safe to conclude that the cliff notes of the last two books was "jack poo poo happens then there is a big fight the end."

It was definitely that, which is why like 3 out of the last 4 hours of this show have been character interactions that amount to "whoa look, X is talking to Y", everyone has completed whatever bar napkin version of their character arcs GRRM wrote out besides like Jon, Dany and Cersei and the writers are just marveling at the idea that WHOA ARYA IS FINALLY THE BADASS ASSASSIN SHE'S ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AND SANSA IS TOTALLY A COURT SCHEMER NOW WHOAAA

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Kitiara posted:

With all that said, Bran’s “the things we do for love” to Jamie was hilarious lol. It strikes me that Bran could have just died when he got tossed out of the window and it really would have made no difference to the story at all. I guess a couple of people would still be alive and they would have needed another way to reinforce Jon’s background. Such a waste of time. Someone should make a condensed version without Dorne or Bran scenes!

It's funny you bring this up, I was frustrated, during the Jon/Dany scene, thinking of the other ways he could confirm it (the actual Targ that tutored him at the wall when he arrived there for example, though I dont even recall if he outed himself to Jon anymore, either way though the writers could have worked that in, the other being Ned definitely intending to tell Jon at some point even in the show.) Point being, Dany actually has some grounds to arguing that "my cripple brother Bran has mystic mind powers" being a pretty loving stupid reason, in the context of the way the story plays out he's useless for the thing he exists for. Was it a thing a few seasons or books back when GRRM's own characters start making fun of his bad writing with the lines he gave them or was that the show around season 5 when they gave them incredibly poor lines because they knew fans hated book 4?

I mean the second he showed that he had Night King gps on his arm, realistically they should just wheel him out to the woods and leave him there. The only inherent value he has is being the only remaining male Stark at Winterfell which is for some reason completely ignored at this point (maybe tree magic autism syndrome is that rare exception case or they just believe him that he's no longer Bran Stark as he claims.) It's just all kind of a mess as to who believes what and where the lines are and any meaning behind it, if any, is being communicated very poorly by the exceptionally bad endgame writers.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 22, 2019

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

This year In It For The Tank is a writer on the show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

kcroy posted:

For that matter, why aren't the dragons ranging out and burning the poo poo out of WWs? They could have been harassing the WW's advance for loving weeks now.

Because the NK already killed one of the three and Dany's worried he would kill the other two as well if they were just by themselves, without her and the army to back them up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is that a knight can make knights from the books? Because holy lol that sounds ripe for abuse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Is that a knight can make knights from the books? Because holy lol that sounds ripe for abuse.

Its from history. You don't go around knighting people at random because you'd be making commoners into nobility.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So if Sir Paul McCartney decides to knight his chauffeur, for example, he can?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"Any knight can make a knight" was definitely in the books and it's how Dunk got his chance.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought knighthood can only be bestowed by lords, kings and popes

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Zenithe posted:

yes it's pretty consistent in the books, a character in fire and blood offers anyone that joined his army a knighthood and they became known as the "gutter knights"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

The template for this final season seems to be everyone announcing who they are by stating what they are famous for in the show like they are Pokemon calling out their own names or something. Jaime for example, repeatedly stated that he fucks his sister in casual conversation, Sam talked about killing a white walker and stealing from the citadel. I guess we really need to recap some of this stuff for 2 hours since it's all so deep and confusing for all the dumdums that watch HBO and cant read, missing all the deep lore of the Books That Was Promised.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The template for this final season seems to be everyone announcing who they are by stating what they are famous for in the show like they are Pokemon calling out their own names or something. Jaime for example, repeatedly stated that he fucks his sister in casual conversation, Sam talked about killing a white walker and stealing from the citadel. I guess we really need to recap some of this stuff for 2 hours since it's all so deep and confusing for all the dumdums that watch HBO and cant read, missing all the deep lore of the Books That Was Promised.

its all just tits and dragons bro

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I thought knighthood can only be bestowed by lords, kings and popes

"Lord" is very vague there. Even on that definition though, Jaime would have the authority as... wait what is he now in the show now, I lost track. Either being the commander of the kingsguard or the lord of casterly rock would suffice.

Elias_Maluco posted:

So if Sir Paul McCartney decides to knight his chauffeur, for example, he can?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_chivalry
Those orders were originally supposed to be composed of knights. The current knighthoods aren't feudal knighthoods.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 22, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Legolas knighted an entire city in Kingdom of Heaven.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah I didn't expect them to try and survive a siege or anything but the dude who schemed away half of Stannis army before he even hit the beach at KL is sitting right there and it doesn't even look like they asked him if he's got any ideas

It's not like he could apply any lessons that he learned in the battle of Blackwater to a fight against an enemy that is explicitly susceptible to fire

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dany to Tyrion: "I need you for your mind." *sends Tyrion to the crypts and lets Bran with no experience plan a battle*

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy A. Person posted:

It's not like he could apply any lessons that he learned in the battle of Blackwater to a fight against an enemy that is explicitly susceptible to fire

Tyrion: You guys got a stash of fantasy napalm laying around? No? Ah well I'll be in the crypt then glhf

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought the whole KL conference was going to end with Cersei giving them a bunch of wildfire but then again no one on the show would rightly trust her to no just blow them all up on the Kingsroad afterwards.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
IRL being a knight doesn't make you a lord. Paul McCartney and Anthony Hopkins are knights, but they're not lords.

Also, they're symbolic. They don't have to do anything in regards to defending the crown or whatever.

Actual for real knighthood still works that way where a squire can be made a knight by a knight, but the practice is basically dead outside of MI5 poo poo which is ludicrously complex.

But, no, Anthony Hopkins can't knight anyone because his title is just symbolic and that power to give someone the symbolic title is exclusive to the crown.

hobbesmaster posted:

"Lord" is very vague there. Even on that definition though, Jaime would have the authority as... wait what is he now in the show now, I lost track.

He presumably lost his title as Queensguard by leaving Cersei, and she could theoretically strip his title as A Lord of Casterly rock or THE Lord of Casterly Rock, whichever he is, which would have also made him Warden of the West.

But he is a knight regardless, unless there's some unmentioned rule that Cersei could un-knight him, but he's a knight in service of Queen Danaerys so Cersei has no power over that one.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zenithe posted:

it's established in the books, yes.

it's also established as like...not really true

in the Dunk & Egg stories, Dunk gets knighted by an elderly hedge knight he'd squired for. Nobody takes this seriously, though, since it's like..."yeah sure kid, you got knighted by some old fucker we've never heard of who was probably a bandit"

so technically speaking any knight can make a knight, but it still takes some combination of connections/status/wealth to be recognized as such

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

bloom posted:

Tyrion: You guys got a stash of fantasy napalm laying around? No? Ah well I'll be in the crypt then glhf

Truly the Vizzini who was promised

A dizzying intellect when written by Davids

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol just realized arya went to gendry when Pod the legendary sex man was right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah yeah yeah maybe it was as more of an emotional decision than she let on but if you really just wanna see what its like before you die then like.....might as well give the Ferrari a spin if its in the garage too