Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol just realized arya went to gendry when Pod the legendary sex man was right there

After not having read a book in the better part of a decade and seen the show in two years I was playing put name to face and when it came to Pod I realized his name is an anagram for 'pro dick'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dunk lied about being knighted by Ser Arlen, ya'll.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah yeah yeah maybe it was as more of an emotional decision than she let on but if you really just wanna see what its like before you die then like.....might as well give the Ferrari a spin if its in the garage too

Fitting a dick in there is already a bit of a magic trick for a virgin. I'm not sure anyone shops around for the biggest cock in that situation.

less laughter posted:

Because the NK already killed one of the three and Dany's worried he would kill the other two as well if they were just by themselves, without her and the army to back them up.

I guess, but NK can't be everywhere at once. They could definitely burn the edges of the the army, and if he showed up, just book. Might be your best chance to lure him out anyway. I mean they could at least clear out small sections of WW moving independently from the main body of the army.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

The show definitely has identifiable templates when it comes to writing dialogue. Specific characters have common trends (like Tyrion and Varys just trade quips while fellating each others' intelligence and ruminating how different they are) but a shocking number of dialogue scenes boil down to something like this:

A: asks question (e.g. "what are you going to do?")

B: quip based on question/evades questions with another question (e.g. "what must be done"/"what do you think I'm going to do?")

This back-and-forth continues without resolution until the scene gets interrupted by someone else arriving and changing the topic or one of the characters walking off dramatically.

I like how jon and dany got interrupted, and then walked in silence up 10 flights of stairs or whatever to get to the top of the wall. Jon couldn't be like "oh well, I'm not interested in ruling, and I bent the knee, and thats all there is to that issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol just realized arya went to gendry when Pod the legendary sex man was right there

lol serious missed opportunity

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sophie Turner providing that content
https://twitter.com/maia419/status/1120358907074031617

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, it was Episode 69...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I didnt get the sense that Podrick was packing heat, I thought he was just naturally good at it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Lmfao sansa noooooo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i love sophie turner & that's the tea

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmfao sansa noooooo

...after uttering that curse word, it better be fruit juice and soap in that glass...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/electmikeingram/status/1120387653826904066?s=21

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

it's established in the books, yes.

it's also established as like...not really true

in the Dunk & Egg stories, Dunk gets knighted by an elderly hedge knight he'd squired for. Nobody takes this seriously, though, since it's like..."yeah sure kid, you got knighted by some old fucker we've never heard of who was probably a bandit"

so technically speaking any knight can make a knight, but it still takes some combination of connections/status/wealth to be recognized as such

You don't even have to go that far in the books. The Kettleblacks are a bunch of nobodies that pop up in KL one day saying they are knights, and are promptly brought into service in the freaking royal palace. One of them instantly becomes KINGSGUARD, and when asked who knighted him, he basically invents a name on the spot. "It was Ser, umm...Mouse....Notebook."

On some better passages, they comment that while any knight can make a knight, a knight's status derives partially from who knighted him. Stannis is a Lord, so even when he takes dubious people as knights other grudgingly accept because not doing it would spite a powerful house. But some crazy hedge knight serially knighting people would just make other snort and laugh in any court or castle.

It's one of those things in ASoIaF that actually makes some sense, until the story needs to take a dump on it for reasons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

He presumably lost his title as Queensguard by leaving Cersei, and she could theoretically strip his title as A Lord of Casterly rock or THE Lord of Casterly Rock, whichever he is, which would have also made him Warden of the West.

But he is a knight regardless, unless there's some unmentioned rule that Cersei could un-knight him, but he's a knight in service of Queen Danaerys so Cersei has no power over that one.

A lord, IIRC, as he gave up his position in the succession of House Lannister by joining the Kingsguard. IIRC Tyrion is actually the valid choice for Lord Lannister right now, which is the best thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

A lord, IIRC, as he gave up his position in the succession of House Lannister by joining the Kingsguard. IIRC Tyrion is actually the valid choice for Lord Lannister right now, which is the best thing.

I thought Cersei undid that at some point.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
No, just the bounty on every dwarf ever.

The rightful Lord of Casterly Rock is kind-of moot when your Lannister family members occupy the Iron Throne...I guess? There's no real mention of Kevan or anyone else truly managing the affairs of Casterly Rock. GRRM hasn't exactly fleshed-out the legal/political law.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MoaM posted:

No, just the bounty on every dwarf ever.

The rightful Lord of Casterly Rock is kind-of moot when your Lannister family members occupy the Iron Throne...I guess? There's no real mention of Kevan or anyone else truly managing the affairs of Casterly Rock. GRRM hasn't exactly fleshed-out the legal/political law.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of peasants from Lannisport down the hill moved into Casterly Rock once they realized that not only was it abandoned, but it was defenseless after the Unsullied took it, killed everyone, and then turned around and marched back to Kings Landing without a single gently caress given. It's like Storm's End, Sunspear, Highgarden, the Twins, Riverrun, and Pyke (for the moment), a castle sitting empty with no lord, or family, or army to man it. And Winterfell is probably going to join that list in short order.

Man, it's really something how basically every great house has been virtually wiped out, hasn't it? And seeing as how they were the cause of most of Westeros' ills, good, gently caress em.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of peasants from Lannisport down the hill moved into Casterly Rock once they realized that not only was it abandoned, but it was defenseless after the Unsullied took it, killed everyone, and then turned around and marched back to Kings Landing without a single gently caress given. It's like Storm's End, Sunspear, Highgarden, the Twins, Riverrun, and Pyke (for the moment), a castle sitting empty with no lord, or family, or army to man it. And Winterfell is probably going to join that list in short order.

Man, it's really something how basically every great house has been virtually wiped out, hasn't it? And seeing as how they were the cause of most of Westeros' ills, good, gently caress em.

All good claimants to the Iron Throne die or have their armies wiped out near the finale, benevolent anarchy takes over and the continent of Westeros becomes a commonwealth of the peasants. No Gods, No Maesters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zC6mi4L5HQ

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
edit: Just like Egg would've wanted.

---

Oh, right...they killed Doran in the show...Forgot about that.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 23, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's like Storm's End, Sunspear, Highgarden, the Twins, Riverrun, and Pyke

tbf i dont know that Sunspear ever existed in the show

seemed like it was all water gardens all the time, dornewise

anyway, death to all kings , power to the people etc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

tbf i dont know that Sunspear ever existed in the show

seemed like it was all water gardens all the time, dornewise

anyway, death to all kings , power to the people etc.

Sunspear exists in the show and its background materials. It's only namedropped like once though. Doran hangs out in the Water Gardens because gently caress you we're not spending any kind of money to make a book-accurate Sunspear, Dorne's garbage anyway--I mean for his health.

Also yeah I want Westeros to come out of this a republic too. Make Dany really live up to her "break the wheel" poo poo.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
to hell with a republic, most of those terrible city-states in western Essos are republics, federated syndicalist communes of westeros or bust

not that any character on the show has shown the first hint of interest in actually reconfiguring or abolishing the class structure of westeros, of course

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wrong D&D, you guys.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dangerllama posted:

Wrong D&D, you guys.

There was a good point, I think, in the BoL thread about genre fiction where he's talking about ASoIaF, that lower class people really don't seem to have a lot of agency or things going on besides being oppressed, and that the edgy "nobody really believes in that chivalry stuff" attitude among the nobility is very unlike feudal ideology irl.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also yeah I want Westeros to come out of this a republic too. Make Dany really live up to her "break the wheel" poo poo.

The funny part is that she won't even have to bother. Most houses and factions are basically disappearing the world (or the plot, which means the same thing) by itself through sheer dumbness or convenience. Tyrrel vs Martells feud? Gone, they all died. Tullys and Freys? Also kaput. Hightowers never moved a finger in the show or books. The Faith? Basically gone as well.

The only factions that still exist basically became unified modern little armies and early nation-states because the world lost all nuance. Lannisters all follow Cersei loyally despite her being an overt psycho with a goofy xombie bodyguard who everyine saw walking nude in shame (that was a big deal, until it wasn't) because eh, screw it. The Vale basically serves as a shapeless deus ex machina with no identity of its own.

Maybe everyone else dumbs themselves to death and the Hightowers just put a Citadel in each place and it becomes a giant campus. I dub thee Samwell Tarly, RA of the West dorms!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well there are dozens of cadet branches and minor houses and such who are presumably all jockeying for control in the many, many power vacuums. The fact that the show doesn't bother with any of that and distills it into an epic showdown between a handful of major characters is understandable I guess, but a huge weakness in my opinion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I had to make a guess without any spoiler input right now I'd guess that the whole things ends in:

1) Dany takes the south, presides over a new peace, everyones just sort of goes on with their lives because no one truly cares who rules just like they keep saying.

2) Jon takes the North and becomes "The Dragon in the North" or some poo poo like that as an equal ruler that's recognized as part of the ruling Targ family. Takes up residence in Castle Black and leaves governing to the remaining Starks.

3) The northern culture is so changed by the wars, NK attack and wildlings moving in that they just become a sort of Night Watch nation state, dedicated to being ever-ready for another NK attack with the south supporting them in earnest again now that everyone knows that poo poo is real. The Walls castles are manned fully. They fill the hole in it with dragonglass or something idk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's great that Dorne accomplished literally nothing except racking up one of the 3 Lannister child kills. They were supposed to be the one big unallied kingdom who needed to be wooed because the military forces of the other houses had been getting depleted and they were the wildcard, but all of their leadership killed each other and then died and now they are just a complete non-entity. Even Oberyn could've been removed from the plot because all he did was turn the Mountain into a zombie which might come into play but probably won't, and if you removed the rest of the Martells then all you would really need to do is have Myrcella fall down some stairs or something and we would be in the exact same spot anyway.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Intel&Sebastian posted:

3) The northern culture is so changed by the wars, NK attack and wildlings moving in that they just become a sort of Night Watch nation state, dedicated to being ever-ready for another NK attack with the south supporting them in earnest again now that everyone knows that poo poo is real. The Walls castles are manned fully. They fill the hole in it with dragonglass or something idk.

Then 8k years pass and an old crone tells a deformed version of the story to her skeptical grandchildren, in the shadow of the deserted Wall. It's still the Middle Ages.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kuiperdolin posted:

Then 8k years pass and an old crone tells a deformed version of the story to her skeptical grandchildren, in the shadow of the deserted Wall. It's still the Middle Ages.

It's actually the 1930's equivalent and an oppressed Gypsy pushes a piece of obsidian into the chest of a German fascist north of the wall

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

It's great that Dorne accomplished literally nothing except racking up one of the 3 Lannister child kills. They were supposed to be the one big unallied kingdom who needed to be wooed because the military forces of the other houses had been getting depleted and they were the wildcard, but all of their leadership killed each other and then died and now they are just a complete non-entity. Even Oberyn could've been removed from the plot because all he did was turn the Mountain into a zombie which might come into play but probably won't, and if you removed the rest of the Martells then all you would really need to do is have Myrcella fall down some stairs or something and we would be in the exact same spot anyway.

Dorne gave us the bad pussy and for that we are ever in its debt.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Grevling posted:

There was a good point, I think, in the BoL thread about genre fiction where he's talking about ASoIaF, that lower class people really don't seem to have a lot of agency or things going on besides being oppressed, and that the edgy "nobody really believes in that chivalry stuff" attitude among the nobility is very unlike feudal ideology irl.

Tywin Lannister even conned his kids into thinking they were rich, I think it's all mainly to show the Lannisters being illegitimate and everyone else reluctantly going along with it. The twist in ASOIAF is that the true royal bloodline actually do have magical dragon blood, but even that just amounts to is being able to wield dragons in combat, hardly descendants of gods for all to worship, they had to take control of the 7 kingdoms the hard way, though at this point supposedly many no longer even believe in dragons so Im not sure if that even makes sense. Not saying it's perfect, but I think it's one of those things that fits the context of the world and the times being portrayed. If anything I would complain that too often the peasant classes seem overly educated, like King's Landing going into riot when Joffrey took the throne because they all totally knew he was supposed to be the bad guy in the book, in reality I dont think they would know any better and wouldn't say a word until he actually started to directly gently caress with them, which if he did isn't really detailed in the books, at least that I recall.

vvv- maybe he did, it's been too long

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 23, 2019

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He does gently caress with them though.

Plus, uh, Varys pulled the strings from the shadows, yeah.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Dorne gave us the bad pussy and for that we are ever in its debt.

In honour of the gift Sophie Turner gave us yesterday, I propose a remastered version of Season 5 that digitally replaces Tyene with Sansa when she say Bad Poosay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nine-gear crow posted:

In honour of the gift Sophie Turner gave us yesterday, I propose a remastered version of Season 5 that digitally replaces Tyene with Sansa when she say Bad Poosay.

:yeah:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah kinda shocked that's not a tweet yet now that you mention it

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/Maisie_Williams/status/1120755427975806976

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That really doesn't make it any less uncomfortable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
yeaaaaah my father in law came over with his wife and daughter to visit my new son the day before S8E1 and everyone was like "hey throw on Game of Thrones while we're here we gotta catch up" and I was like :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Finally watched this. Just a bunch of stupid poo poo before they murder everyone (thank god) and got some uncomfortable Arya baps.

I hope the NK wins. And standing triumphant, opens his mouth to monologue only to have it transition into a fat rear end in a top hat taking a big ol meaty dump. The rear end turns around to reveal the absolute fucker who just says 'gently caress all yall' and then blows his brains out.