Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It did on the Pro right? Please tell me I haven’t been missing the option somehow :negative:

Have you checked Settings>General>Keyboard?

I just found out that I've had it all this time, but it is evidently turned off by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s there on my 10.5” Pro.

Sorry, meant the 2018 11” Pro. Can’t find an option in settings either.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Last Chance posted:

I honestly have no idea what you'd use a mouse for on an iPad. Games maybe? I don't see the benefit at all of re-adding an abstraction like a mouse pointer, when you have a god drat pointing finger right in front of you.

I've got a 2013 Macbook that I use during work and a 10.5 iPad Pro with pencil and smart keyboard. I was hoping that the Pro would replace the Macbook but... it hasn't. It mostly just sits in my bag unless my wife wants to draw something or I need a second display on my Macbook.

Aside from the limited multitasking and lack of a usable filesystem, the mouse thing was what really killed it for me. I tend to keep my laptop way on the back of my desk, and the touchpad or bluetooth mouse is a lot closer. It's just a lot easier for me to have my arm on the desk and scroll through a web site that way vs. reaching out, leaning in, holding my arm up, and swiping over and over.

It might be because my usage is mostly scrolling through text and flipping between apps as opposed to watching videos or typing, but it would be a lot more usable for me if I could just have a bluetooth mouse with a scroll wheel work on it, or even a trackpad on the smart keyboard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They improved the file system somewhat along with multi-tasking, but it’s still going to be a weak spot compared to a laptop. I have a surprisingly large number of productivity apps that still don’t support iCloud natively.

The new iOS version is supposedly going to include tabs within applications, which might help with multi-tasking.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No split keyboard on the OG 12.9” :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

In other news I talked to some other sailors and they all said Android tablet hardware is still total crap and just skip trying to buy Android and get an iPad even if it means loving around with lightning connectors so I guess I'm going down that road under duress

The horrah :rolleyes:

And like, for all that iOS doesn’t have mouse support there’s a massive install base of accessibility peripherals out there for people with mobility or sensory/cognitive/neuro needs, to say nothing of the specialized gear for education/business/kiosk/POS/marine/aviation/etc that move way more slowly than Apple does and rely on existing connectors and form factors. That’s actually a big reason why the lightning port is still around, as are three old chassis designs. It’s certainly a big reason why the Mini and 9.7” iPad haven’t been redesigned in over half a decade.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I love my iPad Pro but trying to use it as a laptop replacement for me isn't viable. I'm a Linux admin - I have umpteen terminals open plus a web browser and chat clients and an RDP session and so forth. I frequently need to be looking at a web browser, chat client and 1-2 other terminals while working in a third terminal. There's no way an iPad can display that all on the screen at once, and while it can be fudged by getting creative with tmux, it's just not really that practical by itself. If it can extend to a second screen, it has some possibilities, but without mouse support it's just really impractical.

I use a Linux desktop at work running fluxbox with 3 monitors, but when I work from home I end up using my old 15" MBP which gets the job done well enough.

For anyone who uses a computer professionally for more than like, office suite stuff, I can't see iPads (or android) becoming a laptop replacement anytime soon. If you're the sort of person that runs every window maximized on your workstation, then you could probably get it to work. My Pixelbook does work in a pinch, however, if I don't have my MBP for some reason.

Still really happy with my iPad because it does a great job with what it's designed for.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I once opened 400 files at once from the finder, and my screen just filled up with title bars

Can’t do that on an iPad!

eames
May 9, 2009

I can report that the mini is great for people like me who are looking for a small tablet between a phone and a MacBook that’s not trying to be a computer replacement. I never liked my old 12,9“ Pro and feel like my friends new Air 3 with the Smart Keyboard is bulkier than a MBA, at which point I’d much rather bring the latter, but the mini is absolutely perfect for my purposes.
Way larger than my iPhone, enough oomph for the limited multitasking & PIP video hat iOS allows but small enough to fit in a chinos style pants pocket and light enough to put it in the bag in addition to the MBP.

If they make a real „Mini Pro“ I’d buy one in a heartbeat - that’s coming from someone who historically disliked all iPads within hours of use.

Also the GoodNotes handwriting recognition/OCR is mindblowing.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Same. Give me Face ID, smaller bezels, and Apple Pencil 2 support and is camp out overnight.

I enjoy the current mini though, the og pencil is taking longer to get used to.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Posting from my brand new 6th Gen. Quite the boost from an iPad Air! I don’t think it’ll replace a computer, but I’m going to try just using the one I’ll get from work.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
On the pro models, could I plug in something like my Zoom h2n audio device with like an OTG cable that has USB-C, or is it gonna need a hub or apple adapter?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bummer I just got a new iPad Pro 12.9 and Pencil for an easter present from my wife. Pencil 2 doesn't work at all (it pairs, it charges, and it registers taps *IF* I hold it at an extreme sideways angle so the nib is laying sideways...)

Guess I will take it back. Anyone ever heard of that happening? My first Pro 12.9 and Pencil 2 had zero issues when I had it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

On the pro models, could I plug in something like my Zoom h2n audio device with like an OTG cable that has USB-C, or is it gonna need a hub or apple adapter?

It *might* work as a USB mic. I'm guessing it's how it presents itself over USB. If you don't need to load drivers to get it to work as a USB mic under Windows or macOS it might work?

For instance I have no problem hooking a Behringer audio interface directly into the USB C port and it "just works*. Both inputs work as LINE-IN and the Headphone* and monitor jacks work as well.

* - One annoyance is that while plugged in ALL audio output goes to the Behringer. There is no option in iOS to choose an output device.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

It *might* work as a USB mic. I'm guessing it's how it presents itself over USB. If you don't need to load drivers to get it to work as a USB mic under Windows or macOS it might work?

For instance I have no problem hooking a Behringer audio interface directly into the USB C port and it "just works*. Both inputs work as LINE-IN and the Headphone* and monitor jacks work as well.

* - One annoyance is that while plugged in ALL audio output goes to the Behringer. There is no option in iOS to choose an output device.

It has a usb mode which sounds similar in function and it advertises it self on my Mac as generic usb audio so it probably will just work. I’ve use it as mic and headphone on my Mac. In the past for my iOS devices I used my iRig Pro for plugging in guitar. The zoom would be cool though cause it has the built in mic and you can mount it on a mini tripod.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

It has a usb mode which sounds similar in function and it advertises it self on my Mac as generic usb audio so it probably will just work. I’ve use it as mic and headphone on my Mac. In the past for my iOS devices I used my iRig Pro for plugging in guitar. The zoom would be cool though cause it has the built in mic and you can mount it on a mini tripod.

I would try it. I know a bunch of USB mics will natively work with a lightning-equipped iPad via the ‘camera connection kit’ dongle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, it's probably going to work. Just keep in mind audio out will go over the headphone jack.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's probably going to work. Just keep in mind audio out will go over the headphone jack.

Not on an iPad Pro :poolgirl:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not on an iPad Pro :poolgirl:

It does on mine - 2018 iPad Pro 12.9"

If I connect my Behringer all output gets redirected to headphones (or monitor jacks if I have that switch depressed).

If you have some way of changing that, I'd appreciate knowing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

It does on mine - 2018 iPad Pro 12.9"

yes but they asked about one with USB-C

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

yes but they asked about one with USB-C

Which is the 2018 iPad Pro? That I have and use?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Which is the 2018 iPad Pro? That I have and use?

So which headphones is the audio out being sent to? Bluetooth? Headphone out from the mic (assuming it has one)? From the Behringer? The 2018 Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So which headphones is the audio out being sent to? Bluetooth? Headphone out from the mic (assuming it has one)? From the Behringer? The 2018 Pro doesn’t have a headphone jack.

Ah, I see. Sorry I was unclear.

It automatically redirects to the Behringer when it's plugged in. It has two inputs and a headphone and L/R monitor.

I was just saying that with that particular mic, since it acts as an "audio interface" and has a headphone jack on it, to be prepared for the audio to go over the headphone jack on that mic. That's all.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm waiting till hopefully refurb models get added to apple's website for the pro, so just planning right now. Kinda weird the macrumors buying guide has neutral for 11" but 12.9" says buy now https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Their algorithm is based on average release times, and the 12.9" has a slightly longer average since it came out before the 9.7" Pro, even though the 10.5" and 11" were released with later 12.9" releases.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macrumors buyer guide is really unhelpful. Apples release schedule is never clear cut for a lot of their products.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, the phones and watches roll out every September like clockwork, but everything else is unreliable.

The 2017 Pro came out in June, wheres 2018 was in November. Not to mention weird one-offs like the 9.7” Pro.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/1120447708215554049?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn’t. :shrug:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there any way to disable the pane on the right hand side of a pdf for scrolling to other pages when you’re annotating it via the Files app? I’ve knocked the document I’m annotating to a different page so many times whilst I’ve been working on it.

Edit: And never mind, you just tap on the document and start writing with the pencil without activating the annotating thing

Dugong fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 23, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I wouldn’t. :shrug:

Proser spotted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I could use a mouse, I'd actually use my iPad for work. Tapping loving sucks for text/number entry.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

If I could use a mouse, I'd actually use my iPad for work. Tapping loving sucks for text/number entry.

Having right click functionality for quick access to options when doing poo poo on Bluebeam would be fantastic as well.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Are there any case / keyboard / folios for the new minis? I just realised non of my stuff for my OG mini fits right as the 5th gen is slightly bigger.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
I'm not sure if this is right thread, but here goes. I have an iPad running 9.3.5. is there a way to find ancient apps from 2011 in the Play Store? Ideally, I want Google Drive, Chrome, Gmail, and a few others. I'm planning to just read articles online and access my Google Sheets, so it being old is fine if I can get a few basic apps. Or does this just need to go into electronics recycling?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What model iPad is it?

If it's like an iPad2 I would junk it.
If it's an iPad Air1 it's probably the oldest model still worth using.
If it's an iPad Air2 or newer then it will do OK on IOS12.

My phone is on 9.3 and all the google apps work fine.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

~Coxy posted:

What model iPad is it?

If it's like an iPad2 I would junk it.
If it's an iPad Air1 it's probably the oldest model still worth using.
If it's an iPad Air2 or newer then it will do OK on IOS12.

My phone is on 9.3 and all the google apps work fine.

It's an iPad 2. :(

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Betazoid posted:

It's an iPad 2. :(

Yeah, those aren’t very usable these days. Even if you can get the old apps on it, they’re not going to run very well. It’s the same processor as an iPhone 4S, and it’s stuck with old iOS/Safari/etc. I’ll get one in for repairs every couple of months, and it always amazes me that people are not only using them, but sinking money into them.

They’re ok as a dedicated Netflix or eBook tablet and for kids who play the various freebie games, but that’s about it. Most of the ones I fix are for either someone elderly who thinks it’s still a $600 device or a parent with a very young kid that doesn’t care.

If you did want to upgrade, anything older than an Air or MAYBE a Mini 2 if your usage is light isn’t worth spending money on.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can always try it out, and see whether you can bear to use it or not.
If you find it "useful but unusable" then that might be grounds to buy an iPad6. They're pretty cheap on discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, those aren’t very usable these days. Even if you can get the old apps on it, they’re not going to run very well.

Thanks, all! Any way to get old apps on them would be appreciated! I may just get a new tablet, but I'd rather see if this could work for my needs first.