Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Aussie/Euro/NA power strip jury-rigged without the ground wire with stripped wires plugged directly in and held with sticks. Guess the country!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna guess American foreign military base. I've heard those places are a nightmare of violated building codes.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

https://m.imgur.com/w2QKgYH

Found this one at a fair. Not the worst I’ve seen but the police tape was the only thing protecting it. It was not near a single worker or anything. Just instant death to any kid not being watched by a parent.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 24, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Aussie/Euro/NA power strip jury-rigged without the ground wire with stripped wires plugged directly in and held with sticks. Guess the country!

Granite pavers are a little strange and make me think Canada, but I’m going with Australia on the basis that who imports Australian appliances and needs a compatible power strip?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna say India, and also that at the other end of that coil of wire is a stick welder.

e. Or China, maybe

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

e. Or China, maybe

Ding ding ding! China has a couple different outlets in use. Like most things Chinese, their electrical infrastructure is a mess.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

stuxracer posted:

https://m.imgur.com/w2QKgYH

Found this one at a fair. Not the worst I’ve seen but the police tape was the only thing protecting it. It was not near a single worker or anything. Just instant death to any kid not being watched by a parent.

Lol are those breakers in there?

And is [img] not working? I get that sometimes too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Link to the image, not the imgur page link. It's the difference between https://m.imgur.com/w2QKgYH and https://i.imgur.com/w2QKgYH.jpg

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

and also that at the other end of that coil of wire is a stick welder.

They mentioned that in the Reddit OSHA thread I found that at. What makes it obvious that it's a stick welder?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Burt Sexual posted:

And is [img] not working? I get that sometimes too.

Ask one of your grandkids to help you

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

Ask one of your grandkids to help you
Lol if you think anyone under 20 knows or needs to know what bbcode is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You only need to know the difference between a gallery page and a direct image link, the forums will insert the appropriate bbcode for you grandpa

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to ask for some advice about buying a hood vent for my stove, but then I found this and now I know what to get.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Vent it into the room below

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

They mentioned that in the Reddit OSHA thread I found that at. What makes it obvious that it's a stick welder?

Well, the coil of extra wire, the jackass way it's being powered, both tell me it's some highly untrained but superbly skilled jobsite welder guy splicing his poo poo into mains wherever he can find it. You can weld with nothing but a pair of jumper cables, mains power, welding sticks, and a cavalier attitude towards your own health, if you feel like it. And given a welding job is a temporary affair, it's easier to get away with just shoving whatever random objects you find lying around into place to McGuyver a solution, as opposed to something that stays that way for weeks or months.

e.g.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

:stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
From the thumbnail, I thought that was going to be a plumbing photo.

I'm guessing they didn't have the right kind of resistor so they made their own?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GotLag posted:

Vent it into the room condo below

:v:

I unironically love that kitchen, though.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From the thumbnail, I thought that was going to be a plumbing photo.

I'm guessing they didn't have the right kind of resistor so they made their own?

Those are diodes?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MRC48B posted:

Those are diodes?

That just raises further questions!!

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Resistance is futile, these are diodes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I HAVE ALL THE QUESTIONS.

NAMELY WHY.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there any possibility there is no short bypassing the diodes?

Diodes don’t work well in parallel.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Platystemon posted:

Is there any possibility there is no short bypassing the diodes?

Diodes don’t work well in parallel.

Someone really wanted to half rectify that, I wish I knew why. Also they took care to put in spares for when those totally non-power diodes burn out one by one, which they will do because diodes do not work the way you think in parallel.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I've been thinking about this for hours.

Why?

Just...why?

What are...why?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why? Because the person was an idiot.

Why (from their point of view)? Because they needed to rectify a high current and didn't have a diode rated for anywhere near the correct amount so they bundled a lot into parallel.

In theory the current through each diode will be divided equally so for instance 10 diodes with 1 A rating in parallel have a 10 A rating.

In reality the characteristics of each diode are exceedingly likely to be slightly different and you run the risk of a subset of the diodes being overrated if they conduct and the others don't. And when they start to fail you will likely get a cascade of failures that takes out the whole thing and can cause a fire or damaged equipment.

I'm just wondering if it was someone's homemade project or if something actually shipped like that. The size and glass package makes me think they're small signal diodes like a 1N4148 being press-ganged into a power supply application

edit: like is that a beefier diode rectifying the other half of the wave next to it? Why not use another one of those???

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 26, 2019

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

I'd move the pile of poo poo they have there and simply block the vent.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MRC48B posted:

Those are diodes?

Those are eggs. You'll not want to be near when the electric spiders start hatching.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

fist4jesus posted:

I'd move the pile of poo poo they have there and simply block the vent.
Could probably do a lot if you just hung the wok on the grate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

there wolf posted:

I was going to ask for some advice about buying a hood vent for my stove, but then I found this and now I know what to get.

If you're going with an elephant trunk vent (aka spot extractors, but no one calls them that), why not go the whole hog and get one that screams SCIENCE!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you're going with an elephant trunk vent (aka spot extractors, but no one calls them that), why not go the whole hog and get one that screams SCIENCE!

I am saddened that oversaturation has ruined this opportunity for a legitimate "the cake is a lie" reference

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The moment one of these diodes die, they all die.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azza Bamboo posted:

The moment one of these diodes die, they all die.

#WWG1WGA

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Perhaps the current is low enough that a single diode would suffice, but the creator wanted to add some redundancy. That could be a future satellite we're looking at!

Maybe there's a diamond being smuggled in the middle of the wires.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I have the feeling that the other side of that bad boy is a really cheap mig welder, because it’s somehow always really cheap mig welders.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bhgdh1/what_happens_when_youre_renovating_and_remove_a/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It didn't stop there!

Article with more pictures and information.

quote:

The home collapsed after the contractor's crew dug into the home's foundation and took out critical support

Whoops! Hope that contractor has the insurance to cover leveling a home, or that the home insurance provides coverage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I sure hope that house didn't lean on either of its neighbors when it collapsed. Cripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

Whoops! Hope that contractor has the insurance to cover leveling a home, or that the home insurance provides coverage.

Bob's Building Co. is announcing it is declaring bankruptcy and will be closing immediately.

In entirely unrelated news, Bill's Bobding Co. is now open for business!