Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You don't have a hand drill and ty-wraps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Oh no, I'm too deep in at this point. I had some pneumatic vibrators from when I was using standard quikrete. I'm now on a CSA based (RapidSet) mix with a superplasticizer and ARG. May as well go all the way.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Tres Burritos posted:

Threw this together in 2 days:

Learned a lot, mechanical vibration appears to be a necessity with the mix i'm using. Gonna get a 30 gal air compressor so I can shake the poo poo out of some concrete.

Do your wooden extensions raise with the jointer bed? I want more info on your setup back there :)

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Do your wooden extensions raise with the jointer bed? I want more info on your setup back there :)

Not really

Zoom, enhance

Use the screws to adjust the extensions, so you could in theory raise / lower the depth of cut and then adjust the tables but I don't.

In practice I set it up once and just leave it. Definitely recommend doing something like this if you get a little benchtop jointer, makes them a ton more useful. I can joint 4' 4x4s with this setup no problem. It's not perfect or anything but its absolutely 'good enough'.

I was using my planer with a sled as a jointer before and this made life so much easier / quicker.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made this ugly thing:

It's a stitching pony that badly needs a redesign and hardware that I didn't scrounge from the bottoms of drawers, but it did enable me to make this:

Trabant posted:

Another present, this time a glasses sleeve for my mom:

Leather is Horeween Essex in Cognac (about 2mm thick), saddle-stitched using Tandy 3.5mm stitching chisels and a :iiam: thread (also from Tandy). Followed Nigel Armitage's video on stitching, although next time I might try casting to get a more pronounced slant. Finished the edges by sanding (150/220), water burnishing, and Tokonole burnishing. Finished the whole thing with my beeswax & walnut oil mixture.

This is easily the longest continuous stitch I've done so far and I'm fairly happy with it, although there are spots where I just... lost it somehow? Probably got distracted for a second and oops!

Oh, and I found that hammering down the stitches really does make a difference in neatness -- the holes surrounding the thread close up and the thread itself seems to lie flatter.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

If you don't feel like mathing when pouring resin keep spare molds on hand.

Glow in the dark shot glasses :shroom:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Whoaaa :2bong:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I call it ... 'The Vibration Station'.

Bunch of Harbor Freight tanks + fittings to power some pneumatic vibrators. Would it have been cheaper to just buy a bigger compressor? I purposely have not saved the receipts. I am excited to shake air out of concrete once I un-gently caress my shop.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Haha that is super mad scientist and great. Watch the duty cycle on that compressor though, don't kill it filling all of that in one go.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Whipped up a quick end table last weekend.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the cable for?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Electrified legs. Keeps the dogs in line.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i like it!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

ante posted:

What's the cable for?

The top mounted USB/power ports built into the end table.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

bEatmstrJ posted:

The top mounted USB/power ports built into the end table.

Do you build outlets into every piece of furniture you make?

Are you the furniture builder for :grovertoot:?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Do you build outlets into every piece of furniture you make?

Are you the furniture builder for :grovertoot:?

I build outlets into every piece of furniture where it would be convenient to not have to crawl around behind another piece of furniture to find a plug. Turns out, things that go next to your bed or your couch are very convenient places to build outlets into.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

bEatmstrJ posted:

I build outlets into every piece of furniture where it would be convenient to not have to crawl around behind another piece of furniture to find a plug. Turns out, things that go next to your bed or your couch are very convenient places to build outlets into.

I'm just waiting till I can wirelessly charge my phone on the loo, would be hella handy

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jestery posted:

I'm just waiting till I can wirelessly charge my phone on the loo, would be hella handy

You are in luck, because that technology exists.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jestery posted:

BMJ doesn't have a toilet though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

That's a great idea. I hate having to get behind things to get to an outlet, so I have a lot of power strips but those look lame as hell.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

BMJ doesn't have a toilet though.

Cause he knows :females: don't poop.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

Whipped up a quick end table last weekend.

what does the underside of the plug look like? Curious how you secured the terminals. Plugs in tables make complete sense and drat near all end tables now have at least USB outlets in them now a days.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Now I'm starting to wonder if I should build a little shelf and an outlet into the bed I'm making...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

what does the underside of the plug look like? Curious how you secured the terminals. Plugs in tables make complete sense and drat near all end tables now have at least USB outlets in them now a days.

Looks like one of these https://www.amazon.com/Kungfuking-Desktop-Grommet-2-Socket-Extension/dp/B01N531NK1

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

It is exactly that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can't unsee Kung fuking

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Can't unsee Kung fuking

I swore that's what the box said too. It's not the most well thought out brand name.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Still need to grout and finish painting the bricks that the previous owners painted black.

Don't get mosaic tile. Just get the largest tiles possible that will require the least amount of cutting.

If anyone is interested, the mantel is a 4x6 douglas fir beam sanded and finished with a poly stain combo. Its attached to the wall with 1/2" lag bolts into the studs. I made a template and drilled equivalent holes in the back of the beam. I cut the hex heads off the bolts after putting them in the wall. Even with a template, nothing lined up perfectly, so I spent a few minutes hammering the beam onto the bolts. I was going to secure with liquid nails, but the hammering effort was significant. There is plenty of friction, this isn't moving ever.

Yes I have $500 worth of tile between a $30 mantel and painted brick.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 12, 2019

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mixed media. The body is wire. The head, feet, and hands are painted foam, the inner body is scrap and the fur is needle felted wool.

I don't know.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If you pretend the wire isn't there, these would make for some great Rayman enemies

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I love this.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Aw thank you much.
Here's a life sized sloth I did using the same thing. Haven't quite finished the face yet, I ran out of white fur. Orange guy is there for scale.

Here you can see the finished side of the face better

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 19, 2019

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I did a box out of popsicle sticks to store my popsicle sticks in.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Some wonderful projects on this page!

FogHelmut posted:

Don't get mosaic tile. Just get the largest tiles possible that will require the least amount of cutting.

:hmmyes: It really just isn't worth the effort to DIY.

InsertPotPun posted:

Here's a life sized sloth I did using the same thing. Haven't quite finished the face yet, I ran out of white fur. Orange guy is there for scale.

Those are fantastic!

Claeaus posted:

I did a box out of popsicle sticks to store my popsicle sticks in.

Now you just need to build a popsicle cabinet to store the popsicle box to store popsicle sticks.

edit: I'm finally loving done restoring this thing so here's a before/after. Yes, that's a cypress peg-leg replacement for the broken wheel section. I'll do an effortpost about the whole thing in an image album later. Here it is: https://imgur.com/a/51BQVbl

Trabant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 20, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Images are self-explanatory.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I presume that box on top is to provide a power outlet behind the TV rather than violate code by running a power cord behind the wall? Not saying you did that, I just can't really tell from the photo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I apologize for doubting you, Mr. or Ms. Cat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes: It really just isn't worth the effort to DIY.

:agreed:

I'll get some lights I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Submiaower