Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It’s been a while since I posted in here, but I know some of y’all will want to know that Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has scheduled Cliven Bundy to speak at an event they’re holding. https://twitter.com/neolithicsheep/status/1122677437538754560?s=21 has their confirmation in the comments.

It's okay Bakerseeds says it's not political and he's like a important watermelon (Edit:maybe not watermelon? I'm too lazy to verify) farmer or something.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thanks for sharing that. I'll be switching seed suppliers in the future.

I've had good luck with Seed Savers out of Decorah Iowa.

Speaking of I ordered a bunch of seeds from them earlier in the year. Does anyone have any experience with their Chocolate Bell Peppers or Cherokee Purple tomatoes?

I really need to invest in more lights for next years seed starters. That way I can do a tray of warm veggies like peppers and tomatoes and then a cool one for greens and broccoli. Make that three light setups so I can also do a flower tray.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol @ the rareseeds people tweeting into the night and basically giving up on damage control
https://twitter.com/rareseeds/status/1122728130777505793

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol @ the rareseeds people tweeting into the night and basically giving up on damage control
https://twitter.com/rareseeds/status/1122728130777505793

It's pretty rad when your PR makes the issue worse. Like I know all companies are terrible but don't make me aware of your terribleness.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How is Cliven Bundy not in prison yet?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"sO yOu WaNt ThE mElOn To Go ExTiNcT???" is especially hilarious given that Bundy's original shitfit 30 years ago was in defiance of BLM's new endangered species protections.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Did not expect Meltdown May to start this early nor my exposure to it to be the vegetables thread but A+ drama all around.

Unrelated question, we have acquired a grow light and a variety of seed starting trays, is there any reason I shouldn't start everything indoors? We began peppers and tomatoes a month ago and are about to transplant, freeing up a bunch of space, so now I'm looking at all my seed packets and going hmm...

Perhaps a better question is, what kinds of things are not good to transplant and should be started directly in-ground?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Warfare declared on squirrels. Still have to build more but this is a good start. It's nice and heavy, was windy today and it didn't move an inch. Might be excessively tall though, going to make the one for the other box a foot shorter.

Replanted that entire box post Squirrelpocalypse so here's hoping.

I'll be curious to hear how this works out in practice. Did you build one of the sides with hinges or anything so you can open it, or do you expect to lift it on and off every time you need to harvest?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Anyone have giant pumpkin tips?

Feed them heavily and stay on top of powdery mildew because that poo poo gets out of control fast. I think to grow true giants you need to start them really early and then remove every flower/gourde besides one so that the plant focuses all its energy there.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 29, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It’s been a while since I posted in here, but I know some of y’all will want to know that Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has scheduled Cliven Bundy to speak at an event they’re holding. https://twitter.com/neolithicsheep/status/1122677437538754560?s=21 has their confirmation in the comments.
Jesus. That sucks, I've bought from Baker Creek from years and always love their loving gorgeous seed catalogue. But holy poo poo gently caress Bundy and anyone who supports him.

Edit: Apparently Baker Creek are now saying that Bundy has been un-invited as a speaker.

SubG fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 29, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Sounds like a situation where it's important to know your customer base.

Their seeds are great, but that wasn't a great choice for a speaker for a large portion of their customer base. I feel like maybe they should have known better, but maybe they just don't read the news. I don't either, but even I'd heard about that. I didn't realize his trial was over already, because I thought he hadn't gotten bail.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Serious vegetable gardeners/seed savers is one of those rare markets that includes lots of slightly-to-very whacko off the grid types on the far far left and the far far right which probably makes it even harder to pick a speaker who won’t be at all politically controversial to someone. He definitely was not the right choice to not tick off half their customer base though, however much he may know about melons or whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jhet posted:

Sounds like a situation where it's important to know your customer base.

Their seeds are great, but that wasn't a great choice for a speaker for a large portion of their customer base. I feel like maybe they should have known better, but maybe they just don't read the news. I don't either, but even I'd heard about that. I didn't realize his trial was over already, because I thought he hadn't gotten bail.
It's not that they didn't know, they talk about visiting him in prison to talk about seeds:

Baker Creek's posted:

Bundy is better known for his involvement in a nationally publicized dispute over paying to graze cattle on public land. He had passed these seeds along with his other precious heirloom melon varieties to our Southwest gardener friend, just a few hours before Bundy’s fellow protester Levoy Finicum was shot at the infamous Oregon wildlife refuge occupation. Shortly after the shooting, Bundy was taken into custody and has been held without bail since. The last known steward of the ancient watermelon, Bundy, is Federally incarcerated at a prison outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.

With this news, the Baker Creek team hit the road for the Nevada Southern Detention Center for an interview with the famous, or infamous, cattle rancher and melon ace. Although he was a far cry from his home garden in Bunkerville, NV, Cliven recounted his lifelong passion for melon growing and breeding with enthusiasm that transported us from the within prison walls, right to his beloved melon patch.

Link to full article.

Anyway, I emailed them about this earlier today and received what looks like a cut and paste reply:

Baker Creek customer support posted:

Cliven Bundy will not be appearing at our Spring Planting Festival next week. After a long discussion, both Bundy and Baker Creek staff agree that his presence could cause a safety issue and other concerns for all participants.

We thank everyone for sharing concerns and thoughts about our speaker lineup. We recognize that many of you have passionate concerns on many sides of issues that have come forth. We appreciate the information and many points of view that people have shared about the situation. A few Baker Creek staff members became acquainted with Bundy while researching an heirloom seed variety, and we were unaware of many of the controversies surrounding him. We are committed to thoroughly researching the issues raised by our friends and customers during this discussion.

Baker Creek is a supporter of diversity. The company was founded on the idea of saving the diversity of seeds. We believe just as strongly in the diversity and equality of all people. We would never consciously do anything that could be construed negatively toward any culture, color, religion, etc. The Gettle family itself is a multicultural American family, with Hispanic, Chinese, German, and Jewish heritage. We celebrate diversity in both our family and our business. We strive to include many cultures in our speaker lineup, our catalogs, and other publications, because we believe a diversity of cultures and ideas is what makes this nation great. In recent years, we have substantially supported humanitarian work in many nations with disregard to people's religion, culture, or color.

A staff writer met Bundy while visiting farmers in Nevada. Several told her that she needed to talk with him because he was the longest-running organic farmer in the area. He had been commercially growing heirloom melons for over 40 years. That was our only connection to this farmer, who told our writer many stories of his past seed saving and plant breeding practices, and about his work in the valley to preserve the local seeds of the area. He volunteered to speak about his seeds and dry farming practices at one of our events.

Our staff thought these sounded like great topics, and we invited him to participate in our Spring Planting Festival. As is the case with all of our speakers, he volunteered participation without receiving a stipend or honorarium. Although we had seen a few news clippings over the years, we were naively unaware of the controversy surrounding him. We do believe in rights of free speech and letting people be heard, even if we disagree with their ideals. But at this time, due to security and other issues raised by many of you, all parties think it would be better to research the situation, read the information that has been sent to us by customers. We apologize for any ill feelings this has caused, this certainly was not our intention.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jhet posted:

...I feel like maybe they should have known better, but maybe they just don't read the news.

According to their Facebook post about canceling his speaking engagement, they had no idea. However, many commenters have quickly pointed out that on blog posts from their own website, they interviewed him in prison and posted about it. They also call him a "land rights activist" in the original announcement which strikes me as a bit of endorsement.

edit: beaten, with thorough sources...what a BS non-apology that is

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, they’ve canceled his talk and have yet to scrub the article by the staff writer mentioned in that Facebook apology. A small screenshot for posterity.

I’ve had good results with Johnny’s, Seed Savers, Territorial, Burpee’s, and local sources, so I don’t believe I’ll patronize Baker Creek again at this point. Lying in your apology is a bad look.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kedo posted:

I'll be curious to hear how this works out in practice. Did you build one of the sides with hinges or anything so you can open it, or do you expect to lift it on and off every time you need to harvest?

No hinges but it tilts off to the side easily enough. I could put a hinge there if I wanted, doesn't seem to be much point though.

I was expecting to lift and it is... heavier and more unwieldy than I expected. :v: Live and learn. Making it out of PVC with some way to latch it down might've been better.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

vonnegutt posted:

According to their Facebook post about canceling his speaking engagement, they had no idea. However, many commenters have quickly pointed out that on blog posts from their own website, they interviewed him in prison and posted about it. They also call him a "land rights activist" in the original announcement which strikes me as a bit of endorsement.

edit: beaten, with thorough sources...what a BS non-apology that is

Yeah, that does say a lot about their management doesn't it. There really is a difference between ideological differences and an armed take over. Not to mention if this guy was actually saving the ancient watermelon, why is he the only one with the seeds? Kind of at odds with heritage and heirloom gardeners/farmers that I've met.

Anyway, my greens and radishes have enjoyed the rain that came after the snow and my carrots are just starting it looks like. I just need to fast forward two weeks so I can get my tomatoes outside where they'll be happier.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vonnegutt posted:

Unrelated question, we have acquired a grow light and a variety of seed starting trays, is there any reason I shouldn't start everything indoors? We began peppers and tomatoes a month ago and are about to transplant, freeing up a bunch of space, so now I'm looking at all my seed packets and going hmm...

Perhaps a better question is, what kinds of things are not good to transplant and should be started directly in-ground?

I'm moving towards starting everything I can indoors. The early spring crops take a long time to germinate in cold soil so indoor starts surpass them even with any transplant shock when the seedlings are moved outdoors. Later in the spring and summer it can be a pain to keep the top of the soil moist enough for the two or three weeks needed to germinate direct sown seeds.

So far the only crops I've found that aren't recommended for indoor starts are radishes, carrots, and certain herbs that don't respond well to transplanting. I might figure out a way to try indoor starts of carrots since my direct sows have bombed this spring. Could be something is eating the seeds.

I keep being surprised at what's available in seedling flats at the nurseries - lettuce, any type of brassica, rutabaga, celery, corn... If your lights are strong enough to produce sturdy tomatoes I'd say give it try.

Seeds that need warmth and darkness to germinate can complicate things. So far the only one I've found in this category is lemongrass. It would not germinate anywhere near the grow lights, it had to be in a covered tray in the back of the hot water heater cabinet.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

So far the only crops I've found that aren't recommended for indoor starts are radishes, carrots, and certain herbs that don't respond well to transplanting. I might figure out a way to try indoor starts of carrots since my direct sows have bombed this spring. Could be something is eating the seeds.

I find insect netting to be absolutely vital for spring planting. All the animals in my neighborhood go nuts for any sort of new growth, so I tend to keep my entire raised bed covered until summer. It helps deter both insects and four legged pests. Slugs will also eat the entirety of baby carrot shoots, which is harder to prevent but can be avoided to a certain degree with a careful watering schedule.

Hexigrammus posted:

Seeds that need warmth and darkness to germinate can complicate things. So far the only one I've found in this category is lemongrass. It would not germinate anywhere near the grow lights, it had to be in a covered tray in the back of the hot water heater cabinet.

Thankfully if you have indoor space to overwinter your lemongrass you should only need to do that once... I have a pot of the stuff I half-assed last summer (haphazard seeding, lackadaisical watering) that exploded with growth over the summer and then continued to grow like gangbusters over the winter. It's finally moving back outside now, and it's exploding with growth all over again. It'll probably break its pot in the near future if I'm not careful...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kedo posted:

which is harder to prevent but can be avoided to a certain degree with a careful watering schedule.

can you expand on this a little?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I'm going all in on groundnut next year. What a versatile plant. They grow like crazy here too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I'm going all in on groundnut next year. What a versatile plant. They grow like crazy here too.
I found that in the woods one time while it was blooming and was blown away by the scent and beautiful little flowers. Smells just like rosewood sawdust and looks like little miniature red/pink wisteria. I noticed a little bean on it, but I didn’t know you could eat it. Is it delicious?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I found that in the woods one time while it was blooming and was blown away by the scent and beautiful little flowers. Smells just like rosewood sawdust and looks like little miniature red/pink wisteria. I noticed a little bean on it, but I didn’t know you could eat it. Is it delicious?

I don't know!

I first saw some in the woods too and thought they looked really cool, so I bought this one for decoration. It's already climbed out of its hanging basket to the top of its trellis. But if I'm already planting peas and sweet potatoes, I don't see why I wouldn't do these too. The tubers are supposed to taste better than potatoes and are healthier too. The peas and flowers are a bonus. It also fixes its own nitrogen and I assume is good for native pollinators.

(not mine)

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 30, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Has anyone ever successfully transplanted a huckleberry here? They seem to like specific rotting stumps I'm hesitant to try

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

can you expand on this a little?

Awhile ago I read somewhere (maybe here) that slugs prefer not to cross dry surfaces. Thus if you water first thing in the morning, the top layer of the soil has all day to dry out in the sun so that by evening when slugs are becoming active they’re less inclined to cross into your bed. Now that I think about it, maybe I’m remembering this from a Charles Dowding video.

I use this watering method in my raised bed and have had no issues with slugs even though I know we have TONS in our backyard. Could also be that I’m just lucky?

e: Yep, I got it from Dowding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EMIArApXE&t=353s

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 30, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know!

I first saw some in the woods too and thought they looked really cool, so I bought this one for decoration. It's already climbed out of its hanging basket to the top of its trellis. But if I'm already planting peas and sweet potatoes, I don't see why I wouldn't do these too. The tubers are supposed to taste better than potatoes and are healthier too. The peas and flowers are a bonus. It also fixes its own nitrogen and I assume is good for native pollinators.

(not mine)

Where in the world do you buy this amazing plant????
I just checked, and they grow where I live (Colorado), but I've never seen them at a nursery/garden center, and I can't find any legit online store fronts. I'm assuming I'm too late to order for this year, but man, I would love to get my hands on some for next growing season.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Has anyone ever successfully transplanted a huckleberry here? They seem to like specific rotting stumps I'm hesitant to try

I wouldn't think its too hard? Blueberries are easy to move and they're like first cousins. I'd just make sure to keep it watered well.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Just got back from Costco (I'm in California, Bay Area), they have these big plastic pots for $12.99. I forgot to take a picture of the tag, but they are at least twice the size of my 15 gallon pots.

Also had 3 varieties of blue berry for $15, figs or citrus (including fukushu kumquat) in 5 gallon pots for $20.

Got 6 of the big pots and 2 of each of the blue berries, next year's berry harvest is going to be great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Where in the world do you buy this amazing plant????
I just checked, and they grow where I live (Colorado), but I've never seen them at a nursery/garden center, and I can't find any legit online store fronts. I'm assuming I'm too late to order for this year, but man, I would love to get my hands on some for next growing season.

I got mine at a botanical garden sale. I found what looked like some legit stores by googling “buy groundnut tubers” but idk. You might also check native nurseries. I think I’ve seen some in those here.

The tubers are sold in the fall after they’re harvested.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

madlilnerd posted:

FAILURES
-Tomatoes. Last year was a terrible outdoor season in England for them,

Just catching up on this thread, but this post from 2009 explains why my very first attempt at gardening in 2008 (back garden in London, grow bags only) failed. Didn't help that I didn't like tomatoes anyway.

On to current matters, I've got a Basil plant (from Costco) which were reasonably sure cannot go outside full time yet (in Vancouver, BC, Canada). However, the picky bastard cannot decide if it hasn't got enough water, or if it likes it's dry. I just watered it because it was parched but my fiancee thinks it likes it dry? The poor thing is drooping badly. Any ideas how I can keep it alive until it's warm enough for a proper planter on the deck?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm growing chilis for the first time this year in my apartment, and it looks like one of them sprouted a little... mushroom friend?

What do I do about this?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

well, introduce yourself before it gets awkward

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Looks like a normal mushroom to me. If you’re concerned, let your soil dry on top and it’ll stop growing. Looks like the ones my wife grows on the houseplants when she waters too much. They’re not really a problem.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Heners_UK posted:

Just catching up on this thread, but this post from 2009 explains why my very first attempt at gardening in 2008 (back garden in London, grow bags only) failed. Didn't help that I didn't like tomatoes anyway.

On to current matters, I've got a Basil plant (from Costco) which were reasonably sure cannot go outside full time yet (in Vancouver, BC, Canada). However, the picky bastard cannot decide if it hasn't got enough water, or if it likes it's dry. I just watered it because it was parched but my fiancee thinks it likes it dry? The poor thing is drooping badly. Any ideas how I can keep it alive until it's warm enough for a proper planter on the deck?
If you stick a basil cutting in a glass of water, it will grow roots and even continue to grow. It’s in the mint family-it likes water. That being said, water it deeply (until water comes out the bottom of the pot) and only every few days when the soil on top starts to dry out. If you are watering it deeply and it still is wilting/drying out very quickly it may be pot bound and you need to re pot it to a larger pot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah generally, basil is thirsty af. But it's always possible to overwater and have to back off for a few days.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

kedo posted:

I find insect netting to be absolutely vital for spring planting. All the animals in my neighborhood go nuts for any sort of new growth, so I tend to keep my entire raised bed covered until summer. It helps deter both insects and four legged pests. Slugs will also eat the entirety of baby carrot shoots, which is harder to prevent but can be avoided to a certain degree with a careful watering schedule.

I don't have slugs anymore but I'm suspicious I might have a pillbug problem due to the wood mulch I've been using. Even without the mulch I've had seasons when they've hit the ripening strawberries hard. Need to spend some quality time after dark with a flashlight and see what's going on.

I just received an eBay order for insect screen row cover. Only one place in town carries it and they want $$$. I'll throw it over this week's carrot planting and see if it makes a difference.

kedo posted:

Thankfully if you have indoor space to overwinter your lemongrass you should only need to do that once... I have a pot of the stuff I half-assed last summer (haphazard seeding, lackadaisical watering) that exploded with growth over the summer and then continued to grow like gangbusters over the winter. It's finally moving back outside now, and it's exploding with growth all over again. It'll probably break its pot in the near future if I'm not careful...

This is good to know. With any luck I can treat it like my ginger and alugbati/malabar spinach and keep it going inside over the winter.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I got mine at a botanical garden sale. I found what looked like some legit stores by googling “buy groundnut tubers” but idk. You might also check native nurseries. I think I’ve seen some in those here.

The tubers are sold in the fall after they’re harvested.

Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't able to find a Canadian supplier when I read about these last year but maybe I just need to look in the fall. Might have to try ordering some from eBay (one step up from meeting a friend-of-a-friend in a dark alley).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Does anyone have experience using Calcined Clay/Turface as a soil amendment? I picked some up based on some other mixtures I was experimenting with, and so far it really does seem like an all-around miracle ingredient (with some exceptions).

Does it sound plausible to use it as a 1:1 replacement for Vermiculite in recipes? both Turface and Vermiculite retain a great deal of water without compacting (unlike Pumice and Perlite, which retain less water and are more about aeration/drainage); however from what I've read Vermiculite actually begins to break down into fine clay fairly quickly once mixed in, wheras Turface is pretty much unchanged in properties.

Also, I'm experimenting with soil mixes for fabric pots. In some of my pots I used the AlboPepper SIP soil blend:

1 CuFt Pro-Mix
3 Gallons Fine Pine Bark
1 Gallon Perlite
1 Gallon Vermiculite

1.5 Cups Garden-Tone/Tomato-Tone
1.5 Cups Garden Lime
0.25 Cups Bone Meal
0.25 Cups Blood Meal

This is great -- light, airy, wicks water well; however, I'm worried that it doesn't have enough water retention and will dry out very quickly in a grow-bag in the heat of summer. I haven't actually found much advice on what to use in fabric pots, except for a lot of questionable "fabric pots are magic, it's IMPOSSIBLE to have poor drainage! I just use dirt from my garden!" Some of the pots I've experimented with use something more like this:

3 Parts Pro-Mix
1 Part Turface

This seems to hold water pretty well, but while it doesn't seem *compacted* per say it does feel a bit... dense? I am wondering if I could go closer to

2 Parts Pro-Mix
2 Parts Turface
1 Part Perlite/Pumice

I mean, I plan on trying that out and seeing how it goes, but there's an unlimited variety of options here, and I suspect suitability may vary a lot with the specific plants as well. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? I am sure that I can just fill the bags up with Pro-Mix and whatever I put in there will do just fine, but obviously half the fun of this hobby is obsessing over optimizing minutae.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Drone posted:

So I'm growing chilis for the first time this year in my apartment, and it looks like one of them sprouted a little... mushroom friend?

What do I do about this?

Most mushrooms are nothing to worry about, they are good indicators of healthy soil but rarely outcompete plants for nutrients. Some are actually beneficial, they are better at breaking down minerals in soil than plants and help make them more available. Some (called mycorrhizae) have a mutualistic relationship with plant roots in that they colonize the plant roots and in exchange for plant sugars they deliver nutrients.

Keep an eye on it but if your plant continues to look healthy it's probably fine/good.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

basil... It’s in the mint family-it likes water. That being said, water it deeply (until water comes out the bottom of the pot) and only every few days when the soil on top starts to dry out.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah generally, basil is thirsty af. But it's always possible to overwater and have to back off for a few days.

These, and a test last night, confirmed that despite what was being said, it was under watered. Given it a drink and will wait for >=10C temperatures outside to plant it, probably next week.

Tomatoes and Peppers are fairing better and are ready to go out at the same time.

On more fun matters, we've decided to try growing blueberries this year. Planted in a mixture of Sea Soil compost (whoops, thought it was actual soil) and Peat Moss. Based on what we've read, we can get away with two plants in one 60L planter on the deck this year, but next year they'll need to seperate. Also, time for bird deterrents...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I asked this here before, but what’s a good source for Scotch bonnet pepper seeds? I usually only buy Ferry-Morse, but they don’t do Scotch bonnets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I think I asked this here before, but what’s a good source for Scotch bonnet pepper seeds? I usually only buy Ferry-Morse, but they don’t do Scotch bonnets.

Pucker Butt Pepper Company.