Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Holy poo poo. I have never watched any of the show, but I may go back and watch all of this guy's videos.

He can be pretty great sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnyseAZ4xU8&t=980s

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Preston's theories are nuts, but he's a cool dude(tm) and I love his show related stuff, especially the recaps since he mostly just judges the show on the show itself and its own dumbass inconsistencies.

The gimmick can be a bit annoying but Preston owns

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Savage af.

What was Jojen and Meeras dad’s name? The bad rear end shortman who knows who Jon’s parents are? I can’t remember, but he’s going to be awesome when he arrives in the books!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

chaosapiant posted:

Savage af.

What was Jojen and Meeras dad’s name? The bad rear end shortman who knows who Jon’s parents are? I can’t remember, but he’s going to be awesome when he arrives in the books!

Howland.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Howland Reed

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ive never decided whether it would be cooler if howland killed arthur dayne with magic or with secret bog-irish ninja abilities

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

PupsOfWar posted:

ive never decided whether it would be cooler if howland killed arthur dayne with magic or with secret bog-irish ninja abilities

I picture more of a Florida Man type mishap.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope he threw a net on him while he was distracted by Ned and shanked him dishonourably

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I know this isn't new info, but I'm doing the rewatch and Tywin and Arya are at Harrenhall and Jesus tittyfucking Christ Charles Dance is just the greatest thing on earth.

e: also I completely forgot about weird skinny Mountain and the prissy bitch that corrects the pronunciation of Qarth

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Isn't the Stark line more or less eradicated in the show at this point? Bran is the only one who can keep the name going and that seems... unlikely.

It doesn't seem much better in the books but I don't remember if there are random Starks out there like there seem to be with Lannisters.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

i am the bird posted:

Isn't the Stark line more or less eradicated in the show at this point? Bran is the only one who can keep the name going and that seems... unlikely.

It doesn't seem much better in the books but I don't remember if there are random Starks out there like there seem to be with Lannisters.

Bran is the last.

Cat was promised to Ned's older brother who died and Benjen got cold-handed, so Cat bore the only Starks with Ned and they all got murked.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike N Eich posted:

Sansa slowly poisons her cousin. etc.
wait wut

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So Jons not counted at all because he's a Targ son?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

By birth and by law he is Aegon Targaryen with no claim to the Stark name or lands or titles.

e: UNLESS he never reveals that and the Queen/king name him Stark then he's a Stark by law and oh no that's what he's going to do so the mad Yass Kween gets all her boss lady memes from idiots

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 2, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kcroy posted:

wait wut

Sansa very clearly despises Sweetrobin and there's speculation that she, LF, or both are purposefully dosing him with more sweetsleep than he needs to slowly kill him off, so LF can instead marry Sansa to Harry the Heir and have her take the Vale that way.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Even if he's not a Targ, he doesn't have claim to the Stark name either unless Robb legitimized him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

By birth and by law he is Aegon Targaryen with no claim to the Stark name or lands or titles.

And even if he wasn't a Targ by law, he would still be a bastard Sand or Snow unless a King or Queen names him Stark. iirc Robb was planning to do so before he died, and I believe Stannis also uses the idea of legitimizing him and appointing him Warden of the North as leverage when trying to get Jon to bend the knee.

e: or Waters, I can't remember if bastard naming conventions are by where the bastard was born or who their father was.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

i am the bird posted:

One of the themes has been all the men dying and the women, being the only survivors, taking over and making the rules. I could see Sansa just going "I'm making my husband keep the Stark name and my children will be Starks" and everybody just nodding and going along with it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i am the bird posted:

in the show this is correct, yes

if we're talking book continuity, there's a few branches of the Stark family tree a couple generations back that sorta peter out

possibly those Starks died without issue, though I've seen occasional fanfic interpretations where they're elderly childless Stark relatives moldering in various remote keeps

if the main Starks had any northern cousins through those branches, though, they would presumably have been brought up when Robb and Cat were discussing the succession

rather than going all the way over to Robb's distant relations (I think second cousins once-removed or first cousins twice-removed or something) in the Vale, as Cat does.

there's the Karstarks, but cadet branches don't necessarily figure into things if other houses have married in more recently (for instance, the Gulltown Arryns don't seem to figure in to the Arryns' current succession problem)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 2, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

And even if he wasn't a Targ by law, he would still be a bastard Sand or Snow unless a King or Queen names him Stark. iirc Robb was planning to do so before he died, and I believe Stannis also uses the idea of legitimizing him and appointing him Warden of the North as leverage when trying to get Jon to bend the knee.

e: or Waters, I can't remember if bastard naming conventions are by where the bastard was born or who their father was.

By father.

Jon Snow was born in Dorne but he "was Ned Stark's son"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I dont know why people insist it's all about titty dragons when it's really about dicks and swords and the removal of dicks via sword, metaphorically or otherwise.

Like, in the dark medieval setting a kid being crippled and falling out of a window isn't really that horrifying or out of the ordinary, it's the fact that he's a male heir to the Stark name and direct attack by a Lannister. It's not really presented or described like that especially in the show, where Jaime just kind of says "Im sorry I broke youre legs you cant walk now thats sad."

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 2, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

By father.

Jon Snow was born in Dorne but he "was Ned Stark's son"

Right, right. So he would be Jon Waters then.

Divine cameo when??

PupsOfWar posted:

in the show this is correct, yes

if we're talking book continuity, there's a few branches of the Stark family tree a couple generations back that sorta peter out

possibly those Starks died without issue, though I've seen occasional fanfic interpretations where they're elderly childless Stark relatives moldering in various remote keeps

if the main Starks had any northern cousins through those branches, though, they would presumably have been brought up when Robb and Cat were discussing the succession

rather than going all the way over to Robb's distant relations (I think second cousins once-removed or first cousins twice-removed or something) in the Vale, as Cat does.

there's the Karstarks, but cadet branches don't necessarily figure into things if other houses have married in more recently (for instance, the Gulltown Arryns don't seem to figure in to the Arryns' current succession problem)

Rickon is still very much alive in the books as far as we know.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, with a queen on the throne they could have matrilineal inheritance where Sansa Stark has a son with Dave Manderly, and Dave will always be a Manderly, but their son can claim Stark with full rights, titles, etc., if they're super concerned about saving the name.

But at this point it's pretty obvious the Starks and Lannisters aren't meant to continue on.

The Martells, Tyrells, Arryns, Tullys, and Baratheons are all gone.

Mormont, Frey, etc. are also gone.

The whole break the wheel thing is all the great houses are gone and there's only one kingdom.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

now, it's implied that Great Houses in westeros aren't allowed to just die out
people seem to place national importance on the names and such
"there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" etc.

house extinction scenarios have happened before in the backstory, so we know of various ways of avoiding it
6-8,000 years is a longassed time, it would make sense that all of the major houses have been depopulated at least once, if not lots of times

seems like the standard practice when this happens is you find the nearest heir, then, for the sake of tradition, make them take the great house's name
either through marriage to a remnant cadet branch or through just legally changing the heir's name
the latter is what the Vale regents propose to do with Harry the Heir, the former is what was done the last time the Arryns' succession sitch looked grim

emergency female-line succession is also an option, despite westeros's fanatical attachment to absolute male-preference primogeniture
this has happened to the starks in fact, in the Bael the Bard story

so if bran (and rickon in the books) dies without heirs, the northerners' options are like

- northerners adopt the starks' Vale cousins and rename them stark
- northerners install the closest Northern stark cousin they can find, and rename them stark
- sansa rules in her own name, with her children taking their mother's name rather than their father's as customary

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 2, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
they'll probably resolve the cersei crap next episode and the last three will be about the last fight for the seastone chair

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2019

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The whole break the wheel thing is all the great houses are gone and there's only one kingdom.

i think the opposite

imo what we're building toward is that the notion of "the 7 kingdoms" as a unified empire or hegemony will go away, and someone will melt down or break the Iron Throne itself

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

like the show will probably end with someone taking the throne

but in the posthumously-released gurm notes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

patchface finally appears

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

he and moon boy sit the iron throne

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
federal syndicates of westeros under glorious iron-chairman varys

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao I forgot one of my favorite parts of the books that the show couldn't possibly recreate was Jaime becoming utterly obsessed with "...and Moonboy for all I know"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

federal syndicates of westeros under glorious iron-chairman varys

Then one of the Dragons becomes really smart and takes the throne himself and this is all a prequel to a HBO Shadowrun series

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

davos will do a good job when it is his turn to be the rainwood oblast's rotating representative to the continental collaborative public works council in People's Landing

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao I forgot one of my favorite parts of the books that the show couldn't possibly recreate was Jaime becoming utterly obsessed with "...and Moonboy for all I know"

i do like to think moon boy has gotten laid during all this mess
probably not with any of the people that have been accused of loving him
but maybe with one of the random tyrell cousins or something

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Goddamn I would watch the hell out of a Schlocky HBO Shadowrun series

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

PupsOfWar posted:

- northerners adopt the starks' Vale cousins and rename them stark
- northerners install the closest Northern stark cousin they can find, and rename them stark
- sansa rules in her own name, with her children taking their mother's name rather than their father's as customary

Sansa could make up new rules at this point. If we are to believe the show "ends up" at the same place as the books, then Dany unintentionally bringing Dornish ideals to Westeros is a real thing, because by the end in the show we've got a female ruler each key power hold for a Game of Matriarchs. Even Doran was depicted as a useless surrogate to appease Westeros custom and remain part of the 7 kingdoms, to be removed when the time is right. Jon Targaryen is just a monkeywrench in the whole thing by the time we learn his origin, mildly annoying Dany that he would even mention it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The real sin of them cutting out the Tysha conversation before Tyrion fucks off to kill Tywin

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

all these people complaining the show cut victarion greyjoy or strong belwas when the real crime is that they cut butterbumps

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And also the battle where they're all yelling "for winterfell!" "for fleabottom!" etc etc and Hot Pie yells "For Hot Pie!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

#TeamIronBank still in the catbird seat.