Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm terrible at cast iron, but I think my pan is hosed up or something because seasoning don't work and everything sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm terrible at cast iron, but I think my pan is hosed up or something because seasoning don't work and everything sticks.

I spend a Saturday morning seasoning my cast iron stuff by heating the oven to broil and wiping the pan down with vegetable oil and heating it upside down (use a cookie sheet on the lower rack if you are concerned about drips) for 30 mins, let cool, and repeat three or four times.

Takes a couple of hours but it will stay good until you son leaves it soaking in a sink full of soap.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I just use my cast iron pan for everything because it heats well and I am bad at cooking with other things.

:same:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my Calphalon Unison 12" and 10" are great everyday pans if I dont want to use stainless

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Takes a couple of hours but it will stay good until you son leaves it soaking in a sink full of soap.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I scored an Ecobee 3 w/ 3 room sensors for $60 on FB marketplace, so far I’ve managed to jerry rig it to control my window AC units. :krad:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I just use my cast iron pan for everything because it heats well and I am bad at cooking with other things.

Same.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Taking the wife to Vegas in July- Anyone got recommendations on places to go things to do/see and restaurant suggestions and poo poo?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't really janitor my cast iron pan and it's been fine. I do some light scrubbing with a soap brush every now and then but usually the sink sprayer gets it clean. The notion that soap strips the seasoning is a total myth.

quote:

The Reality: Seasoning is actually not a thin layer of oil, it's a thin layer of polymerized oil, a key distinction. In a properly seasoned cast iron pan, one that has been rubbed with oil and heated repeatedly, the oil has already broken down into a plastic-like substance that has bonded to the surface of the metal. This is what gives well-seasoned cast iron its non-stick properties, and as the material is no longer actually an oil, the surfactants in dish soap should not affect it. Go ahead and soap it up and scrub it out.

The one thing you shouldn't do? Let it soak in the sink. Try to minimize the time it takes from when you start cleaning to when you dry and re-season your pan. If that means letting it sit on the stovetop until dinner is done, so be it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 3, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Chainmail scrubber is the greatest invention for cast iron (or stainless steel, etc.) cookware cleaning.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

I'll second the Wusthof knives. I bought a bunch of their classic line about two weeks ago and love them. Way better than the random assortment of hand me down knives I had been using since college.

I also have a set of stainless steel cephalon pots I like too. In addition to my cast iron - I tend to use my cast iron skillet more.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Taking the wife to Vegas in July- Anyone got recommendations on places to go things to do/see and restaurant suggestions and poo poo?

Vegas is hot as poo poo in July, so I guess spend a lot of time in the pool? I like the pools at the Mirage a lot, for whatever that's worth.

As far as food on the strip or within a $10 uber ride:
Momofuku and Milk Bar for your fancy pants eating, get some cereal milk ice cream. Ramen Sora is the best ramen I've ever had in my life. Lotus Thai is awesome for thai food. In N Out obviously, Bruxie is a good sandwich, but you can get them in LA so it's not that big of a deal.
I cant think of anymore good ones off the top of my head.
This guy is a fat Vegas poker player, and you can basically trust that anything he recommends is probably gonna be worth eating:
http://jimmyeatsvegas.com

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

You can pry my fibrox knives from my cold dead hands. Best knives in the world until you hit triple figures. I'll have to look at that chainmail scrubber though. I usually just use hot oil, kosher salt, and some paper towels to clean my cast iron. It's kinda wasteful.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

bengy81 posted:

Vegas is hot as poo poo in July, so I guess spend a lot of time in the pool? I like the pools at the Mirage a lot, for whatever that's worth.

As far as food on the strip or within a $10 uber ride:
Momofuku and Milk Bar for your fancy pants eating, get some cereal milk ice cream. Ramen Sora is the best ramen I've ever had in my life. Lotus Thai is awesome for thai food. In N Out obviously, Bruxie is a good sandwich, but you can get them in LA so it's not that big of a deal.
I cant think of anymore good ones off the top of my head.
This guy is a fat Vegas poker player, and you can basically trust that anything he recommends is probably gonna be worth eating:
http://jimmyeatsvegas.com

The only good time to be outside is after dark, and it's still hot as balls until just before dawn.

To do: you probably won't find a bad show to go to, honestly, just pick one from a billboard and go (Blue Man Group is pretty safe). The Stratosphere has a really good view of the Strip that you can pay to jump off of. Red Rock Canyon has great hiking, but again, hot.

To eat: Capital Grille over by Wynn is one of the better steakhouses in the area, with a really good house pineapple martini. Hash House A Go Go in the Rio for sheer gluttony. Fuente lounge in Caesar's for the best mojitos in the whole city. Also everything I quoted.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I just got a 8” and 12” lodge cast iron. Pretty proud of the seasoning. Some things can be tricky, especially eggs & pancakes. When I’m bougie with a kitchen island and, well, actual kitchen space, I’ll have an assortment of pans. I won’t do Teflon and there is an interesting amount of different non-stick type materials they’re using these days. A bit overwhelming, tbh.

I’m really missing something with raised etches. Might get a dutch oven and wok at some point.

Instant pot is terrible for rice. I’m getting pretty good at stovetop, but might get a small dinky rice maker.

I have a handful of knives including ceramic. I actually quite like the ceramic ones for certain things, but I got a nice $60 Santoku knife on amazon and it’s all I ever use. I have a nice regular kitchen knife ideal for meat but I’m not doing a lot of meat prep

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 3, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Suntan Boy posted:

The only good time to be outside is after dark, and it's still hot as balls until just before dawn.

To do: you probably won't find a bad show to go to, honestly, just pick one from a billboard and go (Blue Man Group is pretty safe). The Stratosphere has a really good view of the Strip that you can pay to jump off of. Red Rock Canyon has great hiking, but again, hot.

To eat: Capital Grille over by Wynn is one of the better steakhouses in the area, with a really good house pineapple martini. Hash House A Go Go in the Rio for sheer gluttony. Fuente lounge in Caesar's for the best mojitos in the whole city. Also everything I quoted.

britney spears is gone or else you could've seen her

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
For more Vegas stuff, what are you into? How many nights? Are you driving? What area are you staying?

The shows are incredible and even the cheap ones can be fun.

The food is good pretty much everywhere on the south half of the strip, I highly recommended any of the tourist food places, ESPECIALLY Hattie B's and

July, just stay inside. If you're still gonna walk, the bus pass is a really good deal because it's a 25 hour transfer, and it takes you the whole length from downtown to Mandalay Bay. The monorail on the east side of the strip kinda sucks but takes you most of the strip (MGM to SLS), and there's a free one that stops at Park MGM, City Center/Crystals, and the Bellagio.

Crystals at City Center has FREE valet, and that valet deal is directly underground from the FREE tram platform, with mall exits going directly to Cosmo, as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

britney spears is gone or else you could've seen her

We got Gwen Stefani's residency now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hattie Bs is based out of Nashville. It's good stuff. Kinda surprised they haven't opened up shop in Memphis.

Not gonna lie, I'd see Britney if the timing was right and the tickets were cheap/free. Would not waste my time on Gwen Stefani. Not for all the bananas in Panama.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Wasabi the J posted:

We got Gwen Stefani's residency now.

Shakira or nothing :colbert:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Re Vegas: Took my wife to Gordon Ramsay's steak and holy poo poo it was devine. Best beef Wellington I've ever had. Highly recommend but it's pretty pricey.

Also I'd you're into hiking, Red Rocks and Valley of Fire are great and a short drive away.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A Bad Poster posted:

Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill.

No one take this man seriously. Toby Keith is garbage and the only person not ruined by touching the Toby poop is Willie Nelson. It was the equivalent of a chubby guy/girl standing next to a fatter person to look better by comparison.

At some point in life, it would be nice seeing toby keith walking around singing by animals at a rodeo and get kicked where his balls are supposed to be by a horse.

I got a Cubs world series, come on universe, make this happen.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Re Vegas: Took my wife to Gordon Ramsay's steak and holy poo poo it was devine. Best beef Wellington I've ever had. Highly recommend but it's pretty pricey.

Also I'd you're into hiking, Red Rocks and Valley of Fire are great and a short drive away.

During July, a gunshot to the dick would be preferable.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, for clarification that was a joke. That place sucks. It's like a Hardee's that's 3-4x the price.

The one time I went I was in uniform. It was a nightmare.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i know nothing about country outside of johnny cash and dolly parton tbh but ill take your word on toby keith

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i know nothing about country outside of johnny cash and dolly parton tbh but ill take your word on toby keith
The Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed to be from the same state as Bush when they were touring in London. This resulted in boycotts and destruction of their albums. Plus a multi-year feud with Toby Keith. Country is really dumb.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Met a hot 22 year old blonde girl who was a division 1 swimmer at Toby Keith’s bar in Rosemont, IL a few weeks after leaving the military. She was fun as hell in bed, so that’s my Toby Keith endorsement

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Walk by Guy Fieri's place just so you can point and laugh at all the idiots that paid 25 bucks to eat one of his burgers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

The Dixie Chicks said they were ashamed to be from the same state as Bush when they were touring in London. This resulted in boycotts and destruction of their albums. Plus a multi-year feud with Toby Keith. Country is really dumb.

So it's like rap.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

spacetoaster posted:

So it's like rap.

In terms of bullshit feuds, yes, occasionally.

Nothing in Nashville is real country anymore. When the bombs fall, I hope they hit Nashville Music Row first.

This is tits. Pretty much my favorite country song ever. It hits every nerve in my body for pure, honest country. And you'll never hear it on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8zRjl2uLU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Met a hot 22 year old blonde girl who was a division 1 swimmer at Toby Keith’s bar in Rosemont, IL a few weeks after leaving the military. She was fun as hell in bed, so that’s my Toby Keith endorsement

I got a free burger at the one in OKC. It was ok. Service was also ok.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

This from the guy who would leave his windows open in below freezing Temps in Alaska.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In terms of bullshit feuds, yes, occasionally.

Nothing in Nashville is real country anymore. When the bombs fall, I hope they hit Nashville Music Row first.

This is tits. Pretty much my favorite country song ever. It hits every nerve in my body for pure, honest country. And you'll never hear it on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8zRjl2uLU

DBT is a national treasure and my favorite album by them- Southern Rock Opera- is a masterpiece.

Someone whipped up this cool animated video for one of the best songs on that album:

https://youtu.be/Z69gW7NFZdw

This is another great song:

https://youtu.be/bzK1ZspkjAQ

I’ve seen them play like four times and they always put on a really awesome show.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No one take this man seriously. Toby Keith is garbage and the only person not ruined by touching the Toby poop is Willie Nelson. It was the equivalent of a chubby guy/girl standing next to a fatter person to look better by comparison.

At some point in life, it would be nice seeing toby keith walking around singing by animals at a rodeo and get kicked where his balls are supposed to be by a horse.

I got a Cubs world series, come on universe, make this happen.

....but is the food at the restaurant good?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DBT is a national treasure and my favorite album by them- Southern Rock Opera- is a masterpiece.

Someone whipped up this cool animated video for one of the best songs on that album:

https://youtu.be/Z69gW7NFZdw

This is another great song:

https://youtu.be/bzK1ZspkjAQ

I’ve seen them play like four times and they always put on a really awesome show.

DBT is my favorite band of all time. Got to see them live right after the Cards won the World Series. I say "see" but don't remember because I was so drunk.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
goddamnit

i got a job offer from someone totally unexpected that i talked to at that happy hour

it's defense side for the guard bureau and it's an upgrade in position from what i have now with an insanely chill client that i know pretty well

but guard bureau is off the metro line so it would have to be a bus or a $12/each way uber

ugh

guess i need to follow up with this

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It's a dry heat :v:

But seriously I'm a loving moron and enjoy hiking when it's gently caress hot out.

When I went, one of you recommend White Castle over In-n-Out and I just wanna say for the record that is one of the hottest takes I've ever tasted. In-n-Out>White Castle.

Also lol at Toby Keith. There's one at Gillette stadium and it's the tackiest looking place I've ever seen. Wasn't too surprised to see it in Vegas since half that city seems to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Vasudus posted:

goddamnit

i got a job offer from someone totally unexpected that i talked to at that happy hour

it's defense side for the guard bureau and it's an upgrade in position from what i have now with an insanely chill client that i know pretty well

but guard bureau is off the metro line so it would have to be a bus or a $12/each way uber

ugh

guess i need to follow up with this

Do it. The buses in DC are surprisingly reliable and on time. If it's where I think it is, that's not a terrible bus ride either (off of 50 right?)

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 3, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's a dry heat :v:

But seriously I'm a loving moron and enjoy hiking when it's gently caress hot out.

When I went, one of you recommend White Castle over In-n-Out and I just wanna say for the record that is one of the hottest takes I've ever tasted. In-n-Out>White Castle.

Also lol at Toby Keith. There's one at Gillette stadium and it's the tackiest looking place I've ever seen. Wasn't too surprised to see it in Vegas since half that city seems to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Do it. The buses in DC are surprisingly reliable and on time. If it's where I think it is, that's not a terrible bus ride either (off of 50 right?)

I don’t mind red rock in the summer. As someone who grew up with humidity then was stationed in 29 palms and San Diego: I will take 100+ degree dry heat any day over any temperature with humidity. gently caress humidity.

My favorite thing about living off base in 29 palms was the swamp cooler. Constant cold breeze you can feel anywhere. Oh my god I would love to be able to have something like that in Ohio. But no. Stupid humidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You can make a small swamp cooler with a bucket and a fan on the cheap