Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Barono posted:

There are also really specific situations where you want to set your mages to a couple turns of "attack" so you can specify what to cast in your 5 specific script steps. This can be handy if you're *sure* you know how the opponent is scripted and placed on the battlefield. I was being raided by a couple of golems in a recent game, they had good equipment and some astral magic, and are mindless which makes them immune to a variety of bullshit.

I was able to beat them pretty handily by putting some earth mages in the front and scripted them to attack/attack/shatter/shatter/shatter.

Shatter does a massive amount of armor negating damage to lifeless constructs, but has a really short range.

I haven't tried it out myself, but the new script order should replace this if you set your mages to "advance and cast". In this case, you could script them to shatter 5x and they'll advance until they're in range, then start working on their script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Mu posted:

im posting picture this: a militia man, squaring up to the colossal head. the militia man is wiry, energetic, itching for a fight. he's probably in his early twenties, and still figuring out what kind of man he is and his place in the world. the colossal head is a giant stone head. it weighs like 20 tons. it's over 2000 years old and it doesn't do anything at all. the militia man winds up-- and he punches the stone head. he punches it hard. i mean, this guy, he gives it everything, he gives it everything he's got. as his fist connects with the stony surface of the colossal head, his hand instantly shatters into a hundred pieces. you can really hear it too, as it breaks into bits. it's this wet crunching noise. the militia man himself, he doesn't scream or cry anything, he just makes this really sad sound. it's not quite a wheeze and it's not quite a whine. it's like when you step on an old balloon. just this weird kind of drawn-out squeak from somewhere in his throat. and then he just falls to his knees. what's the moral of the story? there's isn't a moral to the story. the guy just smashed his hand to pieces. there isn't a moral. it's not--it isn't that kind of story. listen, i'm done talking here. i'm done talking. just, get out of here. get out of my face already. we're done here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Which lp is that horrifyingly powerful post from

Ramc
May 4, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Which lp is that horrifyingly powerful post from

a mu discord original

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yo, this is my first Dominions LP but apparently there have been a bunch? Can someone link me to some other good ones because this stuff is weirdly fascinating.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yo, this is my first Dominions LP but apparently there have been a bunch? Can someone link me to some other good ones because this stuff is weirdly fascinating.

They're in the OP, OP.

e: read mine, its good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I always adore Gemstallnacht (in the OP), mostly because when it starts running down Ramc takes over the thread and it becomes kind of awe-inspiring.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

How are u posted:

hes not wrong

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

Minor Magic Resistance
It is worth noting that the bless is only active when you are blessed so unless you have a way to be blessed outside of combat (Prophet, God in candles or wearing a permabless shroud) you won't benefit from it for resisting mind hunt or leprosy.

Also a bottle of holy water if your dood is already sacred and you have other plans for the armor slot, like actually getting high armor on a thug.

Ramc posted:

Arcane Finesses
Putting a shroud on a mind hunter though... there's a thought.

This is still a good idea even if the mage is sacred, though, because you can get more penetration from your Misc slots this way, Rune Smasher, Pen Bless Shroud, Eye of the Void and Spell Focus for +6 pen on rituals.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Alex0080 posted:

Also a bottle of holy water if your dood is already sacred and you have other plans for the armor slot, like actually getting high armor on a thug.

Holy water just auto-blesses you at the start of a fight, afaik, so your bless doesn't help you beyond that.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

Holy water just auto-blesses you at the start of a fight, afaik, so your bless doesn't help you beyond that.

Just checked, it does bless you out of battle, also I'll correct myself as well, it's a Flask of Holy Water, not a Bottle of it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Alex0080 posted:

Just checked, it does bless you out of battle, also I'll correct myself as well, it's a Flask of Holy Water, not a Bottle of it.

goes to show you noone actually knows how dominions works

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I read this four hours ago and laughed a lot, and i just read it again and laughed a lot again. This story is Very Good.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Ramc posted:

goes to show you noone actually knows how dominions works

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something the creators forgot and can't even figure out from looking at the source code in the game right now.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Please tell me that you renamed whatever unit you claimed the winning throne with to "The Boss Is On A Roll".

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Alex0080 posted:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't something the creators forgot and can't even figure out from looking at the source code in the game right now.

they have basically stated that morale is a black box to them right now i think

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

How are u posted:

They're in the OP, OP.

I'm dumb and somehow blazed right past those, thx.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 42

Dire portents, global events, we got it all.

Alteration 6 has frozen heart that's a good one for us.

Enchantment 3 and 4 is sort of a means to an end for us at the moment.

They resist both brain assaults :argh:

WELL OF MISERY

This global is sort of a 'good' one on the face of it. Everyone probably feels better now! Global income goes up a noticeable amount for every province regardless of ownership. C'tis collects all these miseries and turns them into a 20 death gem a turn income. This means more saurowraiths probably.

An Ulm thug takes some Phlegra PD out. I like the scare mask!

I clear out the kraken insurgent.

And then I ping that throne.

It's Zeus! He is not as scary as he was in dom4 where Rain of Stones would just straight annihilate armies. The spring hawks are annoying as hell though. Ethereal with a nasty lightning attack.

Those thugs continue their rampage.

Looks like C'tis left 0 PD.

On to events ok-

OH COME ON

That one is okay though.

Irrelevant. So many angry sea hags.

ICE TO SEE YOU

Overview.

OK first off rebuilding the lab ughhhh all my researchers there twiddle their thumbs I guess.

I am expecting this to be pretty brutal on both sides. We are going in. If we don't win it isn't like his cap is going anywhere with the storm up. I keep trying to mind hunt the thugs and am sending UW sacreds after them.

Looks like TC AI is trying to take its cap back and the stranded Phaecians are wandering.

I am massing zeus-proximate forces with an eye toward taking the throne.

I may start moving overland as soon as next turn, depending.

My orders overview. Even if I can't kill Phaecia's god, ideally I mess up his cap-only stack sufficiently that he can't hit me back for it. There will be some elemental spam but ideally this is nothing a few hundred line troops backed with water elementals can't handle.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Talking of misfortune usually being free points, I'd like to take the time to remind everybody to never be an UW:

This was on turn 11 and the player went AI shortly afterwards. Presumably when they tried to bust out and lost everything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can recall happy times when my capital's laboratory burned down in the very first year. That was fun!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I was messing around in a test game once where I took an awake researcher and he injured himself in his lab turn 1 - it could have been a feeblemind if you were really really unlucky. I've never had that happen in a real game though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I can recall happy times when my capital's laboratory burned down in the very first year. That was fun!

I think that only happens if you have heat in the province, whether it is because of summer or because of scales. I think.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

They can also be destroyed in a nonspecific magical disaster.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ctis has cast universal health care and will reap the rewards of the DEATH PANELS

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cryle from Discord posted:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Ramc posted:

Mu. posted:

picture this: a militia man, squaring up to the colossal head. the militia man is wiry, energetic, itching for a fight. he's probably in his early twenties, and still figuring out what kind of man he is and his place in the world. the colossal head is a giant stone head. it weighs like 20 tons. it's over 2000 years old and it doesn't do anything at all. the militia man winds up-- and he punches the stone head. he punches it hard. i mean, this guy, he gives it everything, he gives it everything he's got. as his fist connects with the stony surface of the colossal head, his hand instantly shatters into a hundred pieces. you can really hear it too, as it breaks into bits. it's this wet crunching noise. the militia man himself, he doesn't scream or cry anything, he just makes this really sad sound. it's not quite a wheeze and it's not quite a whine. it's like when you step on an old balloon. just this weird kind of drawn-out squeak from somewhere in his throat. and then he just falls to his knees. what's the moral of the story? there's isn't a moral to the story. the guy just smashed his hand to pieces. there isn't a moral. it's not--it isn't that kind of story. listen, i'm done talking here. i'm done talking. just, get out of here. get out of my face already. we're done here.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:nsavince:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

:master:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Do specific thrones have specific defenders? For instance, is Zeus always gonna have a sky/storm-themed Throne he's guarding? Or is it just a random assortment of Level X throne guardian setups?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Talking of misfortune usually being free points, I'd like to take the time to remind everybody to never be an UW:

This was on turn 11 and the player went AI shortly afterwards. Presumably when they tried to bust out and lost everything.

What does starting UW have to do with the game randomly deciding to screw you over, regardless of scales? Was playing around with MA Agartha, with positive luck scales no less, and had not one but two massive dominion down (and something else, maybe gold loss? It was one of the protest at your temple events or whatever) events on my cap within the first 5 turns, and then had the loving Demon Gate event on my cap too at ~turn 14. You know, the one that hits the province with roughly 50 Fiends of Darkness and some imps. In a cave province. Took an enormous amount of time to clear.

As SP that can be dealt with of course, but it'd likely be crippling in MP.

PurpleXVI posted:

Do specific thrones have specific defenders? For instance, is Zeus always gonna have a sky/storm-themed Throne he's guarding? Or is it just a random assortment of Level X throne guardian setups?

There are specific defender compositions, but they're not linked to a specific throne. Zeus and the Annunaki of the Sky pretender chassis guardians come with a boatload of Spring Hawks, and a Monolith comes with a horde of Watchers (this is, incidentally, probably the nastiest comp you can possibly run across), for examples.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a peek behind the veil here: well of misery was cast nearly entirely with gems jotunheim gave me just because they were quitting and i asked, and was only possible due to the +1 ritual bonus from the throne of creation

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Oh boy, a dominions LP! These are always amazing reads, honestly. No other game really comes close to the level of horrible random poo poo that can happen.

I should really join in on a beginner game one day. Not played MP for this yet. The discord in the OP good for that?

Highwayleopard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 6, 2019

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Highwayleopard posted:

Oh boy, a dominions LP! These are always amazing reads, honestly. No other game really comes close to the level of horrible random poo poo that can happen.

I should really join in on a beginner game one day. Not played MP for this yet. The discord in the OP good for that?

It's worked for me! I'm getting splattered in my first MP game right now (and have signed up for a second for more suffering).

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 43-

True Fact I never actually look at the bottom of the report when storming or defending against a storm before I click on the fight and will hold my hand up to obscure it just so I am not spoiled, I am superstitious about this one particular thing I'll put it at the bottom.

Enchantment 5. Famous for horde of skeletons. I have no death mages.

I got another one.

+1 pearl site here.

OK first fight on the list is us spying on Ulm trying to throw TC off the siege of the latter's former capital-

Ulm has their favorite attack formation.

TC has random AI madness look- a pig! Inspired by the Pig, of course, for you Journey to the West fans.

So there is no icon for it but all fights are now taking place under the Storm state so that usually means augmented thunder strike, fly dudes can't fly unless they have storm fly and 50% of all projectiles fizzle or something and goodness knows what else.

50% of iron blizzard spam is still a lot!!

Some TC cavalry rush right up and the brilliant targeting AI of Ulm wizards spams their wide AOE missiles right into the middle of their own stuff. Friendly fire owns. Are storms bad for precision too?

Eventually they get back on task.

Also lol this one cant fly and has to slowly crawl forward.

TC flees and the smiths keep up their fire. They are awesome, honestly.

This was probably more costly than Ulm would have liked but TC really can't keep this up anymore.

Next up Eriu(???) is sending thugs to attack me and I guess raze temples???

Look at these thugs. Eriu bog standard.

They clear the minimal PD.

We clear out the last of the C'tis presence in our ocean.

The surviving Phaeacian thug goes back on to land so we don't catch him there.

But you are here for the main event.

OK so we are making a storm attempt here.

The defenders of the fort. (the wolves are already hurt because of the season change. Their maxhp goes up and down with the seasons.)

Water elementals rush forth while the winter wolves run through the walls which they can do because they are ethereal.

They... summon a lot of air elementals of course. Air elementals are storm-power actually and have stat boosts with perpetual storm up.

hm

My elementals get hung up on the wolves and acid rain mostly targets and misses them. I think storm is bad for precision.

I summon one(1) air elemental of my own. At first I thought this was an enemy one right in my backline and was none too pleased.

One elemental gets through gets hung up on the chaff and gets stunned oh hey uh fire elementals huh ok

This is not ideal. Air elementals all over and my troops are making no forward progress because they love to try and stab the ethereal super elementals.

aaaaaand everything falls apart...

So yes this battle was pretty much a total disaster. Howareu and Jsoh were gleefully reposting battle reports and score graphs showing my loss and the dip in the army graph. That's fine I continue to tell myself as I rock back and forth, furiously rationalizing my bad choices. While I've been weakened in the theatre it ultimately isn't weakened in a meaningful fashion for winning the game. Phaecia will probably break siege but with perpetual storm up they still can't go anywhere and they might be emboldened to send armies underwater in their own limited way where everything is a whole different ballgame. I don't need anything over there to win the game but taking Phaecia's cap would have been useful.

I think I knew in my heart of hearts the storm would end poorly but sometimes I don't listen to my heart. My brain just has to, when the stakes are low i tell myself to make myself feel less owned and destroyed, push things a bit to see where they break. Somewhere Albert Wesker thinks about BATTLE DATA and nods from the depths of a volcano.

...well any good news?

Thanks.

OK, that's great, but for serious clean my torture chambers this is embarrassing.
i am embarrassed

that's nice i guess

Overview

How will I ever deal with those Eriu thugs.

Nazca is massing near the throne here. Not great if true.

C'tis is sitting on the Vanheim cap I see. Sounds about right.

I start kitting out this cool guy to be my prophet when I can make a replacement one RIP to JUST YOUR POSTS who will be taking all of the blame for the fiasco in the Pelagian media.

Orders overview. I am holding off on my overland march a turn to summon a bishop fish to go along instead of my god as it was rightly pointed out by a wartime consigliere that if I lost him on the march that would be i n s a n e l y b a d with storm falling as a result.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Please storm

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I was actually kind of worried that Ramc was just gonna steamroll everything.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
And this, kids, is why you don't want to storm a fortress unless you know for sure that you'll win.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sure, it's a lot of losses, but I'd be more worried by the Eriu thugs. Having to hunt them/the provinces they take down while underwater is an annoying prospect.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

frankenfreak posted:

Sure, it's a lot of losses, but I'd be more worried by the Eriu thugs. Having to hunt them/the provinces they take down while underwater is an annoying prospect.

Ramc's most likely just gonna Mind Hunt the problem away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
What would you have done differently to take his cap on that turn if you could do it over again?