Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CGI budget was so low they couldnt afford to render both of Ghosts ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

in honour of the extinct house mormont, let us always remember the mormont words

Here We Stand in the friendzone

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven’t read the last 145 or so posts so what I’m going to say next may be extremely “duh.” But with Dany getting more and more unhinged and Jon Snow’s real heritage, I think back to the prophecy of The Prince Who Was Promised. In that prophecy, Azor Ahai only created his sword and gained his power or whatever when he plunged he forged his sword and quenched it in his wife’s heart. Part of the prophecy is that the Prince, whoever it is, will kill someone they love dearly. Jon Snow will be the one to kill Dany, making him fulfill the rest of the prophecy and her the biggest red herring in fiction.

Has this been worked out already?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

chaosapiant posted:

I haven’t read the last 145 or so posts so what I’m going to say next may be extremely “duh.” But with Dany getting more and more unhinged and Jon Snow’s real heritage, I think back to the prophecy of The Prince Who Was Promised. In that prophecy, Azor Ahai only created his sword and gained his power or whatever when he plunged he forged his sword and quenched it in his wife’s heart. Part of the prophecy is that the Prince, whoever it is, will kill someone they love dearly. Jon Snow will be the one to kill Dany, making him fulfill the rest of the prophecy and her the biggest red herring in fiction.

Has this been worked out already?

yes

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

George R R Martin has been quoted as saying the ending for the books will be very “bitter sweet.” Man I hope Jon kills Dany!

Also fwiw, I still like the show. It’s not as good as the books, but it never was. I hope The Witcher on Netflix will be as good as this show was.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel relieved that we know what the endgame is...
This whole season has been just OK; I think the inevitable Dany-being-stabbed will be healthily bittersweet...
Looking forward to the last two episodes.

Show thoughts~~~

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 6, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
TFW winter has come but you go swimming anyway

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

with the night king gone westeros is a balmy 85 all year round

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm actually really impressed by Episode 4 for being late seasons GoT. It feels a lot more like the earlier seasons, the character interactions aren't the memey garbage from the first two episodes. Mad Dany is a thing. I dig it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arya should have taken a minute or two to explain to Gendry what it means to be lord of something, and thus how bad an idea it is for him to do it, let alone for her to follow him. How about they do literally anything else together. I hear yi ti is nice in the spring.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I really just can't find that Sam Vimes quote regarding what makes a king. "I have thee crown and thee armies you try and take it off me." Paraphrasing ofc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Arya should have taken a minute or two to explain to Gendry what it means to be lord of something, and thus how bad an idea it is for him to do it, let alone for her to follow him. How about they do literally anything else together. I hear yi ti is nice in the spring.

Arya would find purpose in Yi Ti, as well, since she's clearly powerful enough to wander beyond the Five Forts and shank The Lion of Night in the rear end

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ive thought more about this exchange

"whats worth two Riverruns?"
"Highgarden"

smdh at this riverrun diss
riverlands get no respect

especially galling in show continuity where highgarden is 3 sheds on a hill

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The answer is The Twins anyway. It's a poo poo castle but 1. There's two of them and 2. It's a crucially strategically important chokehold which gives him importance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

when you see it ...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a shame i didn't save my joke about this show having way too many ships for this episode. Cause goddamn.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

esperterra posted:

when you see it ...

If I were Emilia Clarke and I just found out David and Dan were about to t-bone 8 years of development for my character off a cliff with a dump truck, I’d need a loving latte too, okay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

'Wait, what do you mean this was always my intended arc? Should I have read the books??'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

'why didn't you put any of this in the scripts ????'

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To be fair, they did. Show-Dany has always been just as much of an insane idiot as her book counterpart in words and deeds. It’s just the idiotic framing and the moronic audience that made an obvious villain and metaphor for US imperialism into YASSS KWEEN

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yes and no. She's done a lot of the same terrible things book Dany did or would do, but the character is so incredibly flat the whole arc feels weirdly unearned.

Meanwhile their show version of Jaime can do things I think book Jaime wouldn't (tho tbf there's a lot of potential book left unwritten that could see him returning to and dying with her) do and it feels consistent and earned b/c they laid the groundwork for this Jaime to be still so deeply in love with Cersei.

Kinda lame how they create a new arc and make it work but struggle bringing an arc lifted from the book for Dany to term lol. Shoulda kept the prophecies that make her go kinda batty. Oh well, at least losing both Jorah and Missandei and two children is something I can buy making show Dany snap. I mostly blame Clarke's acting at this point, but a lot of blame lay on the writing as well.

Anyway I really enjoyed this episode tbh, prob my fave since The Winds of Winter. Though nowhere near as good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd give Emilia Clarke praise for this episode, she's usually utter garbage and she sold this well.

I'm thinking Jaime is swerving and he didn't want to be nice to Brienne because he knows he's not coming back or even intending on living and he doesn't want to give her any kind of false hope. He needs to kill Cersei to put an end to the monster he helped create. He killed the king he swore to defend because he was a monster, it's a fitting end for Jaime.

So he's trying to crush her positive impression of him so she isn't left loving a good man. But she will chase him and maybe he's going to go out before Cersei and he'll die in her arms as they confess their love, redeeming his Kingslaying with a Queenslaying.

But in the show, it's probably legit a Cersei fucks better than you, bye thing.

I really love the book Jaime as a character, they've not really done him too well in the show overall but I'd still say he's the best character left over.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 6, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I really love the book Jaime as a character, they've not really done him too well in the show overall but I'd still say he's the best character left over.

I love show Jaime tbh. His arc is not nearly as good as book Jaime's, imo, but at least it's consistent with the changes they've made to the Lannisters in general, and having him spend much more time in KL and with Cersei rather than him barely ever being around her after the War of the Five Kings starts.

The Lannisters are clearly D&D's faves and where all of their effort goes, imo. They're fairly consistent throughout, other than Tyrion the last few seasons.

Also yeah I think Clarke actually sold Dany to me for the first time since Dracarys lmao. If she's been able to play paranoid and on the edge this whole time I wish the show woulda loving done more with it. Like it wasn't Emmy worthy or w/e but she was much improved this episode. Far better than Kit Haringon trying to give that speech.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair, they did. Show-Dany has always been just as much of an insane idiot as her book counterpart in words and deeds. It’s just the idiotic framing and the moronic audience that made an obvious villain and metaphor for US imperialism into YASSS KWEEN

I feel like I've replied to you about this in this thread or another alrdy but while I agree they've kept all of the plot beats of Dany being bloodthirsty and not the right choice to rule, they've failed to sell the character herself as being paranoid or potentially insane like ever.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

chaosapiant posted:

I hope The Witcher on Netflix will be as good as this show was.

Honestly wondering what franchise will fill the niche of the next fantasy pop culture juggernaut now that this is almost over.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

esperterra posted:

when you see it ...

:eyepop: It's true...Kit Harrington is really short!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

esperterra posted:

Far better than Kit Haringon trying to give that speech.

I wonder how different the show would be overall if he were allowed to speak in his real voice instead of this shite northern accent he's been doing for 10 years with actual zero range to it. Not expecting him to suddenly be the greatest actor on earth but it's just so artificial and bad.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Someone (tormond? tyrion? I can't remember) said something about a good ruler on the iron throne and then the scene cut immediately to Davis mounting a horse.

Onion king confirmed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its was kinda boring, my least favorite episode this season so far

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did the show ever go into Rhaegar’s children’s names? I’m curious if Jon being an Aegon is intentional as in a second character with that name, or if he only has that name in the show because the whole Young Griff/Connington storyline was cut?

Edit: in the books, are Jon Snow and Young Griff about the same age?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 6, 2019

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

hobbesmaster posted:

It makes sense for Danny to do it because it superficially looks like a good idea and shes in way over her head. Sansa was indeed somehow the smartest person in the room at that giant drinking party. Well, smartest southerner, Tormund knows whats up.

I was actually slightly surprised to see the Jaime redemption arc burned up, but I guess Jaime and Brienne can't go off happily into the sunset.
RE: The Jaime redemption arc

So Jaime decided he was going to stay in the north with Brienne. Then he hears that Cersei killed a dragon. Now he doesn’t care about Brienne and wants to get back with Cersei? Or is he going south to fufill the prophecy of the valanqar?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

th3t00t posted:

So Jaime decided he was going to stay in the north with Brienne. Then he hears that Cersei killed a dragon. Now he doesn’t care about Brienne and wants to get back with Cersei? Or is he going south to fufill the prophecy of the valanqar?

You’d think it would be the latter but the writers are going to poo poo the bed with him and have him go back for real. i can feel it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hobbesmaster posted:

The crossbows in GoT are actually hitscan, the projectile is just an animation.

:hmmyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

th3t00t posted:

I guess that depends on if you think he really wanted to stay in the north with Brienne or not. Tyrion is already in position to fulfill that one, and Jaime didn’t have to try and burn Brienne so hard.

I’m also not giving the show any chance to do anything subtle at this point so I’d be pleasantly surprised if you’re right.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also regarding the prophecy I’m 99% sure now that Arya is going to killsteal Cersei and Sandor Clegane because that’s the best stupid thing to happen.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Thinking about it has anyone been killed by anyone other than arya or brienne?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Brienne is Arya in disguise so she killed everybody

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess that depends on if you think he really wanted to stay in the north with Brienne or not. Tyrion is already in position to fulfill that one, and Jaime didn’t have to try and burn Brienne so hard.

I’m also not giving the show any chance to do anything subtle at this point so I’d be pleasantly surprised if you’re right.
It definitely seemed to be Jamie’s choice to stay in the North, as it was his choice to leave as soon as he felt like it.

Jamie decided to head south after he finds out Cersei killed a dragon and Sansa is mad she won’t get to watch Cersei’s execution.

Are they saying Jamie is so dumb that he didn’t realize they were going to kill Cersei before that moment?

The more I think about this, the more questions it raises and the answers to those questions are all varying degrees of stupid.

I’ve wasted far too much of my life thinking about this ASoif. I should turn off my brain and just enjoy the dumb tits and dragons spectacle this has turned into.(it’s all it ever was really, books too)

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
The number of tits and dragons has fallen off quite significantly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

esperterra posted:

when you see it ...

Howard Schultz going to win the throne.