Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm used to buildings like this. The windows are intentional and fine.
Did you ever notice that some rooms may have 〜too many〜 windows? Furniture placement and tv glare are real concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

It looks like an ugly building on piers. What am I missing?

Where is the loss edit?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Where is the loss edit?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The dry brush, slight slope, and no ember stopping barrier underneath that wooden building is concerning.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Son of a biscuit. That’s dedication!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

Ugh, the king of random. Can’t stand that channel.

Yeah, soon as I clicked on it and saw the name, I nope'd the gently caress back out. Hopefully youtube won't start recommending those to me now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Armacham posted:

Groverhotel

gro-tel

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Baronjutter posted:

My friend's road is getting all dug up because ti's developed a bunch of sink holes and a few houses can't flush their toilets so something has gotten hosed up. Turns out what's happened is rats. Hundreds, thousands of rats have made burrows under the road, some how tunneled through old concrete, and have now broken pipes due to the shifting ground.

From the city worker's description almost the entirety of the road is resting on a carpet of rats.

Load bearing Rats.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Everyone knows poo poo rolls downhillstairs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right into the radiator.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Right into the radiator.

At least there's no fan there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can practice your aim in literal levels.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You've got problems if you poop slinkies.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's not my fault -- I wanted spinach, but my wife bought spring mix.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's not my fault -- I wanted spinach, but my wife bought spring mix.

:hmmyes:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I've had nightmares like this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toilets with threatening auras

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Is this in the second playthrough of RE2 remake? I don’t remember this puzzle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Descent of the Modernists

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So I decided to peruse some local real estate listings to see what's for sale in my neighborhood and what houses are going for these days (it's actually kind of crazy how much poo poo has gone up in the last year).

I noticed this cute house, which is the least expensive in the vicinity:

It's been sitting on the market for a month and just got hit with a $10k price cut while other houses have been selling faster for more, with some being subjects of bidding wars. Let's see if there's something wrong with it...

Well that was unexpected. I mean, lots of these old houses get completely trashed over the years by being multi-unit rentals and such, so it's common to see gut job interior remodels, but usually it's mild contemporary and not whole hog Scandinavian industrial or whatever the gently caress this is. I can appreciate some well-done modernism, but this is just so badly done, in both design and execution.

I think they were short on ceiling plywood and then just decided to roll with it.

That bookshelf fireplace thing is weirding me out, and it doesn't look like the pieces are quite flush. I'm betting that's indeed the original location and angle of the fireplace though -- we visited a couple cute Victorians that had the corner fireplaces - it was so you could have like four fireplaces all on one chimney. There would have been a wall and not a gaping void.

Useless and stupid hipster sink in the powder room? Check.

Exposed joists over the kitchen where you cook food. But at least there's some extra backsplash.

I hate this bathroom so much and I think it's the tile that looks like a early 90's Dixie cup except in dirt-colored neutrals.

I'm the sunken mantelpiece on the bed of loose hearthstones.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 8, 2019

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Good Lord. And how much was this masterpiece going for?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Solar Coaster posted:

Good Lord. And how much was this masterpiece going for?

$315k, knocked down from $325k. Other houses in the immediate vicinity are asking between $325k and 625k (with the 625k house being exceptionally huge and full of original woodwork and stained glass).

This breed of lovely modernism is extremely common in a certain red hot hipster-infested neighborhood across town where all the old rowhouses have been flipped to look like this, but not over here, and I think that's the disconnect (other than the fact that it's just really bad).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The real fear is that if they couldn’t be bothered to do a decent job with the finish work, how bad is the work behind the walls?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw this in rental listings:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It took a bit to figure out the problem

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats just the egress

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Queen Victorian posted:

I'm the sunken mantelpiece on the bed of loose hearthstones.
Females love a fire after a nice bath

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least you can inspect the joists from downstairs.

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.

TheMadMilkman posted:

The real fear is that if they couldn’t be bothered to do a decent job with the finish work, how bad is the work behind the walls?

I worry about this in our house every day!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Splicer posted:

Females love a fire after a nice bath

You can even rotate the rocks from around the tub and the fireplace so they get fully dried out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s blocking a lane of the road and has been for five years.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is it still occupied?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is it still occupied?

quote:

Unfortunately the tenant is quite happy with it. They're getting a cheap rent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/bm1e1t/house_propped_up_and_occupying_road

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't even need to see the link to know it was the UK, it just had that special "dank and covered in poo poo" look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Aside from everything else, I think that red door is also upside-down.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

TheMadMilkman posted:

Probably shoddy and terrible, despite being advertised as "professionally designed". The house last sold in '08 for 27k and is missing its porch (a missing front porch is a good indicator that the house was/is in a state of disrepair), which means it was a complete shithole, so everything in the house (except the joists) is new and likely badly done.

The more you look at the pictures, the more annoying little things you find, like the mismatched baseboard in the sunken fireplace room. Is it really too much to ask to have all the baseboard in a room be the same?

My Lovely Horse posted:

At least you can inspect the joists from downstairs.

Except this room is on top of one of the few areas of the main floor open concept zone that has a ceiling (the drywall type - which clashes nicely with the patchwork areas of plywood ceiling and exposed joists). They're definitely hiding something.

Seriously I'm putting this house on my list of watched properties and will go to an open house if they do one and deliver a trip report. It's just a few blocks down from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Could be. Could be that it was done by a builder who didn't really know how to do this fancy new style of stuff and neither did the owner, so it's possible they've done the basics right and shrugged on doing the floating ceilings and open plan whatevers.

Could also be a top to bottom poo poo show.