Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Padje posted:

Looking forward to the final (for now) Derry Girls tonight. Last week's episode felt like the end, especially as a mirror image of last year's finale. The girls on stage dancing/the bombing on the tv vs the girls wrestling in pig's blood on the same stage/the ceasefire announcement.

It was perfect, as a series finale it would have worked but there will be another season :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Taskmaster is confirmed for the 8th May. Expect Paul Sinha to wear a dressing gown the whole series.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well on EastEnders Ben Mitchell is back and is now straight up involved with human trafficking

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

J33uk posted:

Well on EastEnders Ben Mitchell is back and is now straight up involved with human trafficking

Is this actor #5 or #6?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Have to love the soap opera tradition of booting child actors when they reach a certain age and turn out to be poo poo at acting and/or uggo :laugh:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Operation Live is great telly.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Total Meatlove posted:

Is this actor #5 or #6?

#6 apparently.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
When does Line of Duty finish? I want to be able to watch all 3/4? episodes in one marathon session.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m watching the new Killing Eve (because gently caress waiting for whenever the BBC can be bothered to show it), and I’m sad because Howard Moon got old.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Julio Cruz posted:

When does Line of Duty finish? I want to be able to watch all 3/4? episodes in one marathon session.

Six episodes, third was shown on Sunday - so three more weeks?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Ghosts - from the people who brought you Horrible Histories and Yonderland - is really good, get watching it!

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Ghosts - from the people who brought you Horrible Histories and Yonderland - is really good, get watching it!

I liked Yonderland. I was that guy. I also like Ghosts. It seems like their humor is a bit less sophomoric in tone this time around while still being goofy and fun.

The second episode was great.

E: Also, I have at this point watched every Taskmaster.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 23, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I liked Yonderland. I was that guy. I also like Ghosts. It seems like their humor is a bit less sophomoric in tone this time around while still being goofy and fun.

The second episode was great.

E: Also, I have at this point watched every Taskmaster.

I absolutely loved Yonderland. It was just on Sky, so nobody got to watch it.
I work for Sky and man there's so many shows that get really advertised (to us) then nobody outside is talking about them. GoT seems to be the one exception.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I was like that with Young Doctors Notebook. Couldn’t shut up about it and people were like :confused:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Making fun of the weirdos on Only Connect seems like shooting fish in a barrel, but in last week’s episode one of the contestants was wearing an Elizabethan doublet with full ruff.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Making fun of the weirdos on Only Connect seems like shooting fish in a barrel, but in last week’s episode one of the contestants was wearing an Elizabethan doublet with full ruff.

They’ve clearly been deliberately picking the, erm, less conventional contestants for a couple of years now (see how their intro factoids have gone from “this person collects boxing gloves” or “this person makes their own parsnip wine” to “this person once danced a waltz with the 6th Viscount of Marlborough on the roof of Finland’s only nuclear power station”). Doublet-and-ruff guy (also let’s not ignore his incredible bowl haircut) only sticks out because the other team members just wore regular clothes, Elizabethan cosplay presumably not being an interest of theirs since they were a team put together out of 3 individual applicants.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Was it last week where the contestants were forced into doing a spoken word version of Ten Green Bottles? Because that was amazing.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I would like to go on an all missing vowels round special of Only Connect. It would be the most intense and successful 30 minutes of my entire life.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Same, I'm poo poo at the connections but brilliant at the last round.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
As long as you realise that there's a delay between the clues being shown on TV and being shown to the contestants, so you may not be so much quicker than them as you think.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Is Only Connect like cryptic crosswords where you just have to learn the rules and then it's not so difficult, or am I really just as dumb as I feel when watching it?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Kind of depends on what stage of the series you watch it. It becomes much much harder towards the final.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There’s nothing cryptic, just clever puzzles. You either see/know them or you don’t.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I may or may not have teared up at the end of episode 3 of Ghosts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

As long as you realise that there's a delay between the clues being shown on TV and being shown to the contestants, so you may not be so much quicker than them as you think.

I just felt a horrible stabbing pain in my self esteem.

The final was brilliant "is it something to do with the metric sys...oh its the ninja turtles"

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I genuinely love Only Connect in all its dense and baffling glory and it's entertaining to watch people who are good at quizzes do something that's more involved than just answering a bunch of questions like eggheads

Sometimes it is a bit like that episode of the Simpsons where Bart goes to the school for geniuses though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I may or may not have teared up at the end of episode 3 of Ghosts.

At least this one SORT OF justified the timeslot instead of it being on at 6 or so.
It's such a good show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

J_RBG posted:

Sometimes it is a bit like that episode of the Simpsons where Bart goes to the school for geniuses though

It makes me think of in Red Dwarf where Rimmer has his mind-staple thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHA7qkiG6DI

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

J_RBG posted:

I genuinely love Only Connect in all its dense and baffling glory and it's entertaining to watch people who are good at quizzes do something that's more involved than just answering a bunch of questions like eggheads

Only Connect is too hard and while being relentlessly humiliated by Victoria Coren certainly holds some appeal I just can't sit through a whole episode.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taskmaster finally returns this week.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Captain Mediocre posted:

Is Only Connect like cryptic crosswords where you just have to learn the rules and then it's not so difficult, or am I really just as dumb as I feel when watching it?

There's an element of the former. Like, the first time I watched it it seemed like inscrutable horseshit, but if you watch regularly you notice the kinds of puzzles the question setters always use, topics they're forever mining for questions and red herrings they love to employ. Plus a lot of the questions just boil down to "have you heard of this thing y/n". I can usually land a few questions in the first and second rounds, and solve like 60% of the walls, and that's as a poorly literate ape who knows nothing about football, middle English geography or London tube stations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Taskmaster finally returns this week.

I'm going to say this is the first time I'm just absolutely not excited.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Disgusting Coward posted:

There's an element of the former. Like, the first time I watched it it seemed like inscrutable horseshit, but if you watch regularly you notice the kinds of puzzles the question setters always use, topics they're forever mining for questions and red herrings they love to employ. Plus a lot of the questions just boil down to "have you heard of this thing y/n". I can usually land a few questions in the first and second rounds, and solve like 60% of the walls, and that's as a poorly literate ape who knows nothing about football, middle English geography or London tube stations.

Yeah, there's definitely 'classes' of clues that are completely meaningless the first time you see them, like numbers that correspond to letters, words which are linked by something you can do to their letters rather than their meanings, the ones that are like DOG=1066. But sometimes you just need to know that the Korean War happened before the Vietnam War or that 113 is a prime number.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taear posted:

The feedback from the tapings that I read was very positive at least.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Is there a Line of Duty thread somewhere that I've missed?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So Taskmaster episode 1... good? bad? I'm probably going to put it off until I'm in a better headspace but I'm hoping to hear good things.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

To be honest, middling.

It turns out Joe Thomas in real life is just like Simon, Kingsley and Martin.
I want to punch Paul Sinha as much as I suspected I would based on the fact the only thing I knew about him is that he's on a TV quiz on ITV.
The first task proper (baby monitor) was a bit meh, other than enjoying how badly Paul sucked at it. The episode did pick up with the second task so I hold out hope that it will gel more as the series goes on (as long as Paul doesn't suck up too much of the atmosphere). But at the moment I think the question will be 'Does it avoid being worse than S6's low bar' rather than 'Can it surpass S7'.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

Is there a Line of Duty thread somewhere that I've missed?

I don't think so, I ended up posting about it in this thread after catching up on the series last year. As I couldn't find one then, I just made sure to make good use of the spoiler tags.

I enjoyed this season, I think it was the weakest so far but seeing few old loose ends tied up was satisfying. Caddie 2.0 may be interesting next season. Are we getting 1 or 2 more seasons?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

While I'm really enjoying Ghosts I'm also getting a bit annoyed with them using the story vehicle of her constantly talking to the Ghosts when other people are around and coming off like a mad person.
There's times when it makes sense but really if you can't just ignore them then don't stand in a room with them while filming is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

Once you've had Bob Mortimer on, you can't possibly get better.

That said, I quite enjoyed it, bit weird seeing Paul Sinha taking up Noel Fielding/Phil Wang's "strange" outfit shtick, also he's about as charismatic as he is on The Chase (not very.)

Joe Thomas is pretty much what I expected, Iain Stirling's rant about ventroliqism was funny and i'm strangely attracted to Lou Sanders.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 11, 2019