Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Live trap and relocate them

underwater.

How inhumane, though! This is what I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a cookbook from 1901 that has recipes for squirrel.

This cookbook

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has anyone hear grown a “two crop” blueberry cultivar like “Perpetua” or “Sweetheart”?

I’m curious to know if they taste good and if they have any flaws to counterbalance the double‐cropping trick.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Oh, dear...

I'm going to attempt to keep these alive indefinitely indoors, perhaps with some grafting experiments.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 7, 2019

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Ghost peppers?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Kinda the predecessors of ghost peppers, really. Neat seed selection though, Puckerbutt has done some really cool stuff through their Christopher Phillips Collections.

I really hope I have more success this year with the hot stuff. I'm finishing off a really long term mash I did of a few rows of super hots last year and it's hilariously hot but a little salty. Going to experiment with some sweet flavors to try and make it into a sauce probably this weekend.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What in the heck fire is wrong with my soil?!?

2nd year garden, urban area in a long neglected plot. Only thing growing before I tilled it up last year was grape vines and ferns.

I have a compost bin thats in year 2 as well. Time to get the good bottom stuff raked into the soil I guess.

Do I need to worry about the super high phosphorus and calcium? Or any of the micro nutrients they list? Figured I'd start with my compost pile then buy some compost to rake in as needed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looking decent all around but my rapini is going hog wild.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Has anybody experienced peas "surfacing"? My plants are about 5 inches high now and the original peas on some of them have risen to the top of the soil and are now visible and exposed. They were originally planted 1-2 inches deep. I don't think this is a good thing? I'm just wondering if this is natural or if some critter has been trying to get to them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Took some of those pepper seeds out to germinate, and rubbed my eye a few minutes later... I think these things are the real deal. Hah.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Captain Mediocre posted:

Has anybody experienced peas "surfacing"? My plants are about 5 inches high now and the original peas on some of them have risen to the top of the soil and are now visible and exposed. They were originally planted 1-2 inches deep. I don't think this is a good thing? I'm just wondering if this is natural or if some critter has been trying to get to them.

I've had that happen at the very beginning of planting beans sometimes, but usually not when they're 5" tall. No idea if it's a critter or not.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Captain Mediocre posted:

If I'm understanding what you're seeing right this is perfectly natural. This is the development of the cotyledon or seed leaf. Certain types (not all) of beans and peas germinate a root then push the seed above ground before it splits, forms the cotyledons and becomes photosynthetic.

5" does seem a bit excessive though, unless you're growing squash.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Captain Mediocre posted:

All of our beans look like this. The little bean/pea shrivels up and sometimes falls off as the plant matures.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Sounds like you planted Zombeans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Has anyone hear grown a “two crop” blueberry cultivar like “Perpetua” or “Sweetheart”?

I’m curious to know if they taste good and if they have any flaws to counterbalance the double‐cropping trick.

I bought and planted both of these cultivars. We’ll see how they do.

I set them up in large pots with timed drip irrigation.

I also got a “Sharpblue” because:

quote:

Sharpblue will bloom and fruit almost year round, with foliage remaining nearly evergreen.

This seemed like a good choice for a pollination partner, and I’m curious to see how the yield compares with the others.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hexigrammus posted:

If I'm understanding what you're seeing right this is perfectly natural. This is the development of the cotyledon or seed leaf. Certain types (not all) of beans and peas germinate a root then push the seed above ground before it splits, forms the cotyledons and becomes photosynthetic.

5" does seem a bit excessive though, unless you're growing squash.
Or bitter melon. Those guys seem to love getting stuck for like a week with the halves of their seed leaves just barely stuck together at the top. I had one this season that had two pairs of leaves formed all balled up in there before it finally split and they could spread out.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Any idea why the new growth on one of my tomato plants looks kind of chlorotic? I know new growth tends to be lighter, I'm just curious as neither of the other two tomatoes I put in (at about the same stage of growth, about 6" above the top of the container) are showing this -- they are consistently a dark emerald.

The should all have been fertilized the same with a dose of TomatoTone as directed when I planted the about a week ago, and soil moisture has been consistent. I have them under some plastic dome cloches to preserve heat / humidity, and am using some of the red tomato plastic on top.

If it were any other plant I'd just ignore it for a while and assume it'll just grow out of it, but tomatoes like to loving die on you at the first excuse they get so I figured I'd check in. The one in question is a Bush Early Girl Hybrid. I guess I'll give it until next week, then maybe add a little liquid fertilizer and see how it responds if it's still a problem? Would low pH cause an issue here? I added lime to my container blend, but quick probe of some of the other soils saw it at around 5.0-6.0 so maybe I didn't add enough?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SubG posted:

Or bitter melon. Those guys seem to love getting stuck for like a week with the halves of their seed leaves just barely stuck together at the top. I had one this season that had two pairs of leaves formed all balled up in there before it finally split and they could spread out.

I had a cucumber that did that this spring.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Treated all the pots with the first round of vine weevil nematodes, going to give it a week before I dig into pots I know are infested looking for live specimens. Dead specimens are fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Anyone have any advice for squash borers? They killed my crop last year, so I was thinking of putting gauze around the stems this year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had not heard of those so glad you posted. Apparently since they're a moth, Bt spray will kill them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have any advice for squash borers? They killed my crop last year, so I was thinking of putting gauze around the stems this year.
They were so bad for me one year I just gave up growing summer squashes. Normal caterpillar pesticides work in theory, but once they are inside the vine they don’t get to the worn. You can slit the vines open with a razor blade and kill the caterpillar inside but that’s super tedious. Floating row covers apparently work, and starting your squash earlier is supposed to help. Winter squash like pumpkins don’t have hollow vines and so they are immune.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Even better, I only have kabochas.

A whole bunch of spiders have set up their web shops in my garden cages. I support these spider bois and hope they feast well upon the pests.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

With my history as a lovely 90s landscaper I've reformed to become very "as much organic as you can" quite a while ago, especially because I'm living in places with septic and wells. But.......next Wednesday I re-cert so I can buy the good poo poo again:

COME AT ME THREAD!

(kidding, we have a serious emerald ash borer problem here and I'm trying to save my ash trees.....and I'm not paying someone multiple hundreds of dollars a year for something I can do in 2 hours with $40 worth of materials and actually know for 100% sure what has been put on my property)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why can’t dripper manufacturers agree on whether red emitters have half or double the flow rate of black emitters? 😤

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Setting up to grow some sweet peppers indoors using bottom watering. Anyone have advice on nutrients (I guess liquid soluble) I can use with this technique? I'd like to get something organic but it doesn't necessarily need to be OMRI listed.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

taqueso posted:

Setting up to grow some sweet peppers indoors using bottom watering. Anyone have advice on nutrients (I guess liquid soluble) I can use with this technique? I'd like to get something organic but it doesn't necessarily need to be OMRI listed.

Those look like 5 gallon pots, if you are planting 1 or 2 peppers per pot, I would just add some general purpose organic fertilizer to the potting soil you are using, and that should be enough for the season.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Potatoes!!!!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I think I have fundamentally misunderstood how potatoes work.

I've got mine in planters, but was concerned that I'd planted them too shallowly, so added more earth underneath.

But I've also read that you should plant them shallowly and add more earth on top as the grow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Depends on the variety of potato, but my understanding is that generally you can plant shallow and keep building up the mound so the plant produces more over the course of the summer. Some varieties like this more than others.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I filled 5 gallon buckets halfway with soil, plan to mound soil on top of those up till the soil is about 6" lower than the lip, then top it with straw and let it go nuts.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I figured out my soil issue based on my SoilSavvy results. I've been slowly mixing in blood meal which is 13-0-0 into my soil and watering. Hopefully the weeks lead time I'm giving my garden bed is enough time for the nitrogen to work itself in.

I'm really wanting to move my tomato and pepper transplants out into the garden. Night time lows are in the 50s which I think is warm enough, especially if I cover them at night. But we're supposed to get a week straight of rain, roughly 2 inches over the course of the week with a couple of days of 15 MPH winds. Is that to much for tomatoes and peppers right out of the gate?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I basically just did that because they were getting root bound and needed to be out of their pots. They’ve been fine at 45-50 since last Thursday and except for two (died from other reasons) they’re doing fine so far. They’re happier in the sun today and the wind has died back to breezy, but I don’t get a choice about the wind most days in spring. The tomatoes had already been hardened off in a nicer week which was also a bit windy and variably cool/warm, so that helped.

My peppers stayed inside though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
If you've never hosed with growing your own potatoes, you are in for either the greatest gardening experience of your life, or the worst heartbreak and disappointment a stupid plant can deliver. I highly recommend watching a few potato harvest videos if you need proof of either point.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So it's a lootbox?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

re: sow by dates on seed packets - how strict are they? Sowed a courgette plant but noticed that the packet says sow by 2019, except I have about 20 seeds left and can't seem to give them away. I don't have space for multiple plants and either way one plant produces more than I can use if last year was anything to go by. Are they likely to be viable next year/the year after?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

taqueso posted:

So it's a lootbox?

YES!!!
But its only one that gives you a legendary skin OR the lowest amount of currency you can get for a common dupe, literally nothing in between.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

oh no computer posted:

re: sow by dates on seed packets - how strict are they? Sowed a courgette plant but noticed that the packet says sow by 2019, except I have about 20 seeds left and can't seem to give them away. I don't have space for multiple plants and either way one plant produces more than I can use if last year was anything to go by. Are they likely to be viable next year/the year after?

It's like food best by dates, they are very conservative. The seeds will gradually have less and less germination success, but they don't just stop working all at once.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

oh no computer posted:

If you keep them in a cool dry place out of light they should be fine. Next year, maybe two weeks before you plan on planting them, put 3 or 4 in a wet paper towel and see what they do, if you only get partial germination then maybe plant multiple seeds when you are ready to put them in a ground, it's cheaper than buying a new seed pack every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

bengy81 posted:

YES!!!
But its only one that gives you a legendary skin OR the lowest amount of currency you can get for a common dupe, literally nothing in between.

We're doing a potato tower this year with some late season potatoes, and this is distressing news.