Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bluemillion posted:

Hazamada's stand kicks in when someone is feeling guilt, so maybe it has some secondary ability where his own stature is based on his pride? That was how I explained it to myself, anyhow.

You're thinking of the other guy. Hazamada is the little sicko that tries to stab Jotaro in the head with a pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bluemillion posted:

Hazamada's stand kicks in when someone is feeling guilt

Kobayashi.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

There has never been anything as fickle as the Stand lottery

i dunno, everyone seems to get stands that are at least useful to them

except cheap trick

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Yinlock posted:

i dunno, everyone seems to get stands that are at least useful to them

except cheap trick

notorious BIG?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
And Superfly

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Condiv posted:

notorious BIG?

It helped him in that it curried him the trust of a very powerful mob boss, and meant that he could live his life knowing that if he were ever killed, his death would not go unavenged.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Stand Roulette is kinda harsh, first you have to make sure that your Stand won't, like, kill you. Then assuming you survive you have to figure out what the dang thing does and they aren't all as helpful as Spice Girl in telling you how they work. Heck, there's probably a few Stands out there where the user just hasn't figured out the comically baroque conditions to make it work. Something dumb like 'I can make hurricanes, but only while I'm juggling fruit.'

Anyway the strongest Stand would be the one that makes everyone's dialogue happen in real time.

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.

Mr. Lobe posted:

It helped him in that it curried him the trust of a very powerful mob boss, and meant that he could live his life knowing that if he were ever killed, his death would not go unavenged.

Honestly they are lucky carne died like he did. Imagine if he got hit by a car in the middle of a busy city and Notorious B.I.G manifested right there.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

YggiDee posted:

The Stand Roulette is kinda harsh, first you have to make sure that your Stand won't, like, kill you. Then assuming you survive you have to figure out what the dang thing does and they aren't all as helpful as Spice Girl in telling you how they work. Heck, there's probably a few Stands out there where the user just hasn't figured out the comically baroque conditions to make it work. Something dumb like 'I can make hurricanes, but only while I'm juggling fruit.'

Anyway the strongest Stand would be the one that makes everyone's dialogue happen in real time.

And yet we've had 3 Stands that do exactly the opposite.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
me @ the space virus explanation

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was the name of the lightning stand that killed the explorer?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What was the name of the lightning stand that killed the explorer?

Shock the Monkey.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shock the Monkey.

You'd think it was something like this this, Thunderstruck, Ride the Lightning... but after the electric stand Red Hot Chilli Pepper all bets are off.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Zapper Man

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

It's not really a roulette, the only two people with 'death' Stands are a guy with an intense phobia of showing his back to anyone (which manifests as a Stand which kills him when he shows his back to anyone) and Carne (Notorious B.I.G.'s user), who is what little exposition we get for him seems to be an intensely hosed up person who wants to lash out through his death. Generally speaking people Stand powers line up pretty closely with their personality and ambitions: DIO desires to stand alone above all others so he manifests the power to create a world only he can enter and control(!), Giorno desires unlimited power so he manifests Gold Expierence, and so on.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Irving.jpg posted:

Honestly they are lucky carne died like he did. Imagine if he got hit by a car in the middle of a busy city and Notorious B.I.G manifested right there.

You'd hope the Speedwagon Foundation would take on the case in that instance

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

multijoe posted:

It's not really a roulette, the only two people with 'death' Stands are a guy with an intense phobia of showing his back to anyone (which manifests as a Stand which kills him when he shows his back to anyone)

I'm pretty sure he only got that phobia after he got Cheap Trick. You can see him in the background of an earlier episode at one point and he's not doing anything to obscure himself at all.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's never explicitly stated that Notorious BIG manifests on death, right?

Like maybe it did other stuff before Carne died, or maybe it was the same and it's like an Anubis situation

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He brings it out before he dies, at least.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure he only got that phobia after he got Cheap Trick. You can see him in the background of an earlier episode at one point and he's not doing anything to obscure himself at all.

Fair point, his history isn't elaborated on past his lack of will to control his Stand.

And B.I.G does manifest, but it doesn't turn into The Thing until he dies, so I think it's fair to assume that was the key to unlocking its true power at the very least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr. Lobe posted:

You'd hope the Speedwagon Foundation would take on the case in that instance

I want this spinoff tbh.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

And Superfly

Superfly is plenty useful. It prevents its user, the transmission tower, from feeling lonely, and protects it from harm.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the stand lottery is a tough game because you either get My Power Is To Summon A Thin Knight or My Power Is Absolute Cyrokinesis And I'm Armored While Doing So

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
do you get the ability to turn people into bombs that explode so hard time resets or do you get a fish monster that's useless on land

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Silver Chariot may not be super-flashy, but he's a good all-rounder who's also really, stupidly fast. I feel like he's not a great pick for a lottery-loser as Stands go.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's not a ton of Stands are total duds, but that there's Good Stands and VERY Good Stands

it's a gacha game of a power system and i love it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

y'all acting like araki couldn't make a stand that gives people headaches one of the most threatening fights in the series somehow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
LOL WRONG THREAD

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 13, 2019

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is an anime thread drive thru

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It finally happened to me

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Can't believe the OP would betray us like this

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the manga thread is different now, i got confused, im better than this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else it was one of those 'really baffling with no context' pages

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

the manga thread is different now, i got confused, im better than this

must've been an enemy stand

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

It finally happened to me

welcome to the club friend

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
"really baffling with no context" seems to describe half of Jojolion(?), but that's for manga thread to elaborate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sockser posted:

It's never explicitly stated that Notorious BIG manifests on death, right?

Like maybe it did other stuff before Carne died, or maybe it was the same and it's like an Anubis situation
On the other hand Carne absolutely looks like the kind of guy who doesn't so much want to succeed at things as furiously die doing them and leave you a huge mess to clean up because he hates you.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Carne is the rear end in a top hat that rushes the person in last in Smash even if they're on their last stock as well while the dude in first has all three still.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

a stand that gives people headaches

You don't have to talk around it, dude, we've all seen King Crimson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A stand that just causes chronic disease but doesn't really debilitate people.