Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe Nana's quirk was disintegration, and AfO took it from her? Hell, maybe he gave it to Shigaraki. One, Deku may eventually speak to her in his headspace, but there won't be a quirk from her that he can use. Two, maybe Shigaraki started his life as a kid with no quirks.

Something something, poetry it rhymes.

Edit: for the record I'm just shooting from the hip on this--there could very easily be 100 details I'm missing that sink my idea faster than the titanic with ice cubes.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen a bunch of people who think Shigaraki's sister is actually Momo who was adopted by the Yaoyorozu family. Because you see her quirk can only create while his can only destroy, it's like dramatic irony or something.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell, throw it in the pile. All Might is my dad, I'm work shopping that theory next

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Shigiraki's dad is still alive, he just ran away and changed his name to Hisashi Midoriya! :tinfoil:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Hell, throw it in the pile. All Might is my dad, I'm work shopping that theory next

gently caress you he's MY dad :mad:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All Might is everyone's dad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My dad could beat up your dad

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PMush Perfect posted:

All Might is everyone's dad.

I thought it was either Bob Barker or Wilt Chaimberlain.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

My dad could beat up your dad

Todoroki: "I hope he does."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I've seen a bunch of people who think Shigaraki's sister is actually Momo who was adopted by the Yaoyorozu family. Because you see her quirk can only create while his can only destroy, it's like dramatic irony or something.

Wouldn't that require her to be relevant

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

Shigiraki's dad is still alive, he just ran away and changed his name to Hisashi Midoriya! :tinfoil:
Hisashi is everyone's missing/not mentioned dad.

He's gone out for a lot of cigarettes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Hisashi is everyone's missing/not mentioned dad.

He's gone out for a lot of cigarettes.

Turns out fire breath causes you to accidentally burn through a lot of cigarettes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure i trust the man who gave a child a pile of preserved severed hands and said that was his family.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've always found it weird that the only things left of Shigaraki's family were their hands. I'd suspected this was a placebo created by the doctor but if it's legitimate, and going off this recent chapter where an entire mass of people were disintegrated, as well as Shiggy wearing gloves but not disintegrating them despite that breaking the established rule.

I wonder if Shiggy's power can actually be turned on and off at will and the range of destruction can also be expanded based on his mentality. Like he's been given all these rules and suggestions on how his powers work and the reality is he's the only thing really holding himself back at this point. So when he killed his family immediately afterwards he wanted nothing to do with his power hence why the gloves were not destroyed, but part of All for One's plan was to unleash Shiggy after funneling as much hatred and misanthropy as he could into him. Thereby maximizing the destructive capabilities of his quirk.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

I wonder if Shiggy's power can actually be turned on and off at will and the range of destruction can also be expanded based on his mentality. Like he's been given all these rules and suggestions on how his powers work and the reality is he's the only thing really holding himself back at this point.

This would honestly fit with what's been established for most of the rest of the series, that the limitations on Quirks are mostly psychological and they're really just psychic/telekinetic in nature filtered through individual personalities, proclivities, and (lack of) imagination.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

...Shigaraki is twenty now. His quirk probably appeared when he was, like, four or something, unless there was extra weirdness involved. His sister looked older than he was, but even if she's younger, for her to be high school age now, at the time of the flashbacks she'd have had to been... Zero years old. Or he's actually high school age now and just looks like an adult for some reason. Or, well, lots of things that make no sense unless one or the other had their ages modified for some reason.

The girls don't even look alike besides the black hair, plus I'm pretty sure we've seen at least one flashback for Yaoyorozu where she looked younger than Shigaraki's sister in the flashback. The one where her mother is amazed after Momo made a perfect Matryoshka doll.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Momo? More like.....no mo.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Official translation

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1127691388672401409

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1127679465008406528

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 13, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh, so it was the editors who moved Hori away from the dark stuff? I thought it was Hori himself that was uncomfortable with it.

Now I'm wondering how much editoral interference there was in the Overhaul arc, and whether something similar is happening with how the big three are getting so much attention to the exclusion of everyone else when the manga is focusing on the UA kids.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori himself said that parts of the Overhaul arc bothered him with how dark they were, which is what led to the Fatgum/Kirishima aside.

As for what he likes in stories as a reader, Hori said he actually enjoys dark stories, sad endings, and he's totally fine with gore/violence/death- it's just that actually writing that stuff himself affects his mood.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe he didn't like the eri stuff rather than the other aspects of the overhaul arc

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I really wonder how the anime will tackle this part.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

With gusto, though it'll be distracting having [SHIGARAKI TOMURA] QUIRK: DECAY on screen during his big moment.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mulderman posted:

Triumphant You Say Run style music, for all the big moments of the League of Villains. But with a dark metal sound instead of the happy rock it usually is.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

With gusto, though it'll be distracting having [SHIGARAKI TOMURA] QUIRK: DECAY on screen during his big moment.

That only happens during their first on-screen appearance in the episode and this is more the ending to one not the opener.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Triumphant You Say Run style music, for all the big moments of the League of Villains. But with a dark metal sound instead of the happy rock it usually is.

I kinda want this now.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Had a random thought the other night about this series and people hypothesising that Nana (is that the right name?), All-Might's mentor, had a 'Decay,' style Quirk too. If that were true, wouldn't that mean that Deku is going to unlock this power too, since he's starting to access previous bearer's Quirks?

Seems weird to think about a fight with Shigaraki where they're trying to mutually Decay each other.

Also apologies if this was brought up before.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Eventually yes. Depends on the next Quirk Deku unlocks to see if goes in order, or randomly between previous holders.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Eventually yes. Depends on the next Quirk Deku unlocks to see if goes in order, or randomly between previous holders.

It seems to be random. All Might mentioned that Nana told him the holder before her was a dark haired youth, not Funky Jack Cayman.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

runwiled posted:

Seems weird to think about a fight with Shigaraki where they're trying to mutually Decay each other.

Not if he killed All Might right before

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mulderman posted:

I kinda want this now.

I mean, Toga's thing back there was literally achieving something new and special and different at the very end of her hope so that she could win. It's basically begging for a triumphant musical sound as it happens.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Rhonne posted:

It seems to be random. All Might mentioned that Nana told him the holder before her was a dark haired youth, not Funky Jack Cayman.

I go by Funky Jack Cayman being Number Two in the line, next one being Number Three and so on. Nana would be last with her theoretical Decay and Deku having 90 to 100% power going on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The villain mix of "You Say Run" should be called "You Cannot Run"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

The villain mix of "You Say Run" should be called "You Cannot Run"

"You Can't Run" is AFO's theme, if I recall correctly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Roland Jones posted:

"You Can't Run" is AFO's theme, if I recall correctly.

It's one of them, and they've got a few names. I think it's the one when he first shows up off the top of my head?

Anyway All For One's stuff would be a good solid basis for League of Villains doing cool stuff music. Considering All Might v Noumu has You Say Run going full blast and that's basically become the hype music for the hero side.

There's also Shigaraki's actual theme, which might be more appropriate as a counterpart to You Say Run which could be considered Izuku's theme in a way.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 14, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's one of them, and they've got a few names. I think it's the one when he first shows up off the top of my head?

Anyway All For One's stuff would be a good solid basis for League of Villains doing cool stuff music. Considering All Might v Noumu has You Say Run going full blast and that's basically become the hype music for the hero side.

There's also Shigaraki's actual theme, which might be more appropriate as a counterpart to You Say Run which could be considered Izuku's theme in a way.

I don't think the League should use All For One's music unless it is heavily modified as they are very much new wave evil compared to his much more classical presentation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hunt11 posted:

new wave evil

Reach out and touch face

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think the League should use All For One's music unless it is heavily modified as they are very much new wave evil compared to his much more classical presentation.

Sure, but the trainee heroes still get to share music with All Might, even if that's meant to be a somewhat similar relationship. If more false from All for One. The Vangaurd Action Squad theme though is pretty rocking and would be fine as a theme for the League winning in general, given it's their first really successful action.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I wonder what the shortest OfA career was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Scholtz posted:

I wonder what the shortest OfA career was

Gonna say it was probably actually the first one, who as far as we know just was a prisoner of All for One and then passed it on without really managing to do much hero work at all.