Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

I’d tried to force that memory out. That scene was terrible. I was like “gently caress yea iron born gonna show their teeth!” But nope. Shirtless Ramsay wins.

It's pretty clear that armor does gently caress all in the GoT universe unless you're The Mountain, so it makes sense he'd be shirtless. Why anyone bothers putting on mail is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

It's pretty clear that armor does gently caress all in the GoT universe unless you're The Mountain, so it makes sense he'd be shirtless. Why anyone bothers putting on mail is beyond me.

Lol and everyone is so surprised when his armor actually works: "sword no go through??"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol and everyone is so surprised when his armor actually works: "sword no go through??"

BUT THEN HE GETS STABBED IN THE FACE AND DOESNT GIVE A gently caress. The one guy who is wearing armor that works DOESN'T NEED ARMOR. This show is actually starting to make me angry when I think about it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To be fair he’s not wearing armor for protection. It’s so folks wont recoil in horror when the queen walks by.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is it just bias in who gets the most attention or are there really no Dany fans who are like "lol badasssss, I'm glad of it".

there are...in this very thread!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Remember that clown with dual wielding knives who fought Jon at Kraster's Keep

u watch ur fookin mouth mate

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
FATALITY

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1129418566879633409?s=21

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Jorah's armor worked when he fought that Dothraki dude in season... 1? 2? It was a big thing

Fake edit: https://youtu.be/IwUALmpmPOw

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Martian posted:

Jorah's armor worked when he fought that Dothraki dude in season... 1? 2? It was a big thing

Fake edit: https://youtu.be/IwUALmpmPOw

That Dothraki tried to slash him. That was the mistake. Everyone knows if you thrust a sword through plate that's how you kill a man.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
makes sense that they wouldn't have much experience fighting armored dudes though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

makes sense that they wouldn't have much experience fighting armored dudes though

the undead that killed Jorah however did know how to stab through armor unfortunately. rip

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Needle didn't stab through The Hound's armor.

Cleganes have the only real armor in Westeros.

Also the show jumped the shark when Bronn and Jaime went to Dorne and it was populated by four guys wearing the curtains from a leftover set from a movie set in ancient Persia.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wasn't the hound wearing just a gambeson at the time he was stabbed by arya, too

e: well. looks like he had like, a jack of plates (?) at least

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 17, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Elias_Maluco posted:

At the same time, I think the actor really did a great job, his Ramsay is just perfect. Is just that the character became crap

Iwan Rheon posted:

"I auditioned for the pilot of Game of Thrones, and was down to the last two for Jon Snow,"

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Iwan Rheon is a good actor, but part of me thinks D&D were being cute when casting him as Ramsay because he was almost Jon.

Fake edit: Was gonna say because he'd be a "mirror", but then I remembered themes are for eight graders.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still thinking about Tamzin Merchant and the crazy purple glowing contacts we could have had.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Still thinking about Tamzin Merchant and the crazy purple glowing contacts we could have had.

I think of this often, and the joy turns to ashes in my mouth

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

merchant def has more of the weird elf thing going on that targs are supposed to have

i always forget what was the reason they couldn't put clarke in purple contacts, though

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PupsOfWar posted:

merchant def has more of the weird elf thing going on that targs are supposed to have

i always forget what was the reason they couldn't put clarke in purple contacts, though

Irritated the actors' eyes too much, iirc. I can't remember if they made that decision when Clarke came on, or back when they filmed the original pilot. I think I remember Clarke talking about the contacts sucking rear end tho, so it was probably during the reshoots?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

They said that it was harder for the actors to emote with their eyes with the contacts in. I do t see why they could change their color in post production though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ague Proof posted:

Iwan Rheon posted:

"I auditioned for the pilot of Game of Thrones, and was down to the last two for Jon Snow,"

:chloe:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I mean, I can't tolerate anything touching my eyes either, so I empathize with Emilia.

But LMAO @ the excuse that you can't act with contacts in when literally every fantasy or sci-fi has someone doing that.

loving Brent Spiner as Data on The Next Generation had to act through contacts and certainly poisonous make-up for like 9 seasons and 4 movies.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

on the upside, iwan rheon was then able to parlay his GoT fame into an even bigger villain role on the smash-hit marvel tv series Inhumans

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Won't lie, I like it

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I mean, I can't tolerate anything touching my eyes either, so I empathize with Emilia.

But LMAO @ the excuse that you can't act with contacts in when literally every fantasy or sci-fi has someone doing that.

loving Brent Spiner as Data on The Next Generation had to act through contacts and certainly poisonous make-up for like 9 seasons and 4 movies.

in this day and age couldn't they also just cgi the eyes a different color in post-production

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

less laughter posted:

in this day and age couldn't they also just cgi the eyes a different color in post-production

they did it in vikings and it looked kinda dumb but nothing is dumber than the last 5 seasons so.

also the show jumped the shark like 25 times and they all signified it getting worse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

less laughter posted:

Probably not in the pilot. Even in the last season of this they didn't have budget to figure out how to pet a dog.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes, back then things in the show still made sense occasionally, and the show runners thought about stuff like how a fight between an unarmored but fast Dothraki with an arakh who has no experience with armor and a heavily armored but slow-moving knight with a longsword would play out. Good old days...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Martian posted:

Yes, back then things in the show still made sense occasionally, and the show runners thought about stuff like how a fight between an unarmored but fast Dothraki with an arakh who has no experience with armor and a heavily armored but slow-moving knight with a longsword would play out. Good old days...

Silly Marvin, the showrunners didn't think about it at all. They just took it from the book.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
:lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6ynEnDWwAA2Sm8.jpg:large

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You think that's bad, remember when Tyrion had dialogue that wasn't a dick joke and Jon said poo poo like "What happens to your eagle after I kill you? Does he drift away like a kite that's had its string cut?" instead of the two dialogue options of "Ah don't want it" and "yer mah queen"?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Martian posted:

the first 3 seasons were genuinely a really good adaptation of the books and it's pretty sad that the later seasons are so much worse.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

esperterra posted:

Silly Marvin, the showrunners didn't think about it at all. They just took it from the book.

the past couple seasons there's been this weird pattern where someone'll post some great scene from the early seasons and everyone will go "whoah, who wrote that???"

meanwhile thinking "...err...georog rr martin did that, mates"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just read about how Euron's actor was so amped up when he got the job because he had read the books.

He was psyched to put on an eyepatch and have purple lips and be an insane pirate that's permanently hallucinating and commits human sacrifices to his gods so he always has a storm following him and

and D&D were like "nah, you're just a fuckboy".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

http://alexanderlozada.com/iasip/?IlRoZSBKLkEuSS5NLkUuIFN5c3RlbSI=

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I just read about how Euron's actor was so amped up when he got the job because he had read the books.

He was psyched to put on an eyepatch and have purple lips and be an insane pirate that's permanently hallucinating and commits human sacrifices to his gods so he always has a storm following him and

Pilou Asbæk is fantastic and would have knocked Book Euron out of the park if they actually gave him that kind of material. That scene where he destroys Yara's fleet and captures her where he comes riding down a drawbridge on the bow of his ship out of the fire and fog like rock star in a music video and screaming like a lunatic is the closest we ever got to Book Euron on the show.

For that one brief moment we got a Euron we could take seriously. And it was great.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

reposted for lulz

edit: How do you remove an image that you are posting through the SA upload?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sad

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Book Ramsay is an over the top comic book villain and one of the series’ least believable characters.

I think this is another area where the progress of time really hurt GRRM. We've become much more sophisticated in how we look at serial killers, and we've become really jaded. I mean, these days we expect our serial killers to practically be loving artists with insight into what made them who they are ( Hannibal / Dexter / etc ). Show Ramsay was goofy over the top, but in the book was much more tolerable. Hearing about stuff he did third hand was cool. And the backstory of how he barely escaped, dressed as Reek - and then betrayed Theon - felt much more natural and showed off his cleverness as well as his brutality. And showed us just how weak of a leader ( and person ) Theon was.

pseudanonymous posted:

I think Tywin would consider Ramsay a rabid dog, and probably consider putting him down, one way or another. Tywin and Roose were almost the same person, but Ramsay is practical foaming at the mouth in comparison.

But not Gregor?

chaosapiant posted:

I think the biggest issue with the show is that while it was smart to condense and cut certain plot lines, the writers aren't really good enough to make an equally interesting story with their "alternative version." With some exceptions: Arya and Tywin was far more interesting than Arya and Roose.

lots of this. Adaptions are tricky - and I'm reminded of the Harry Potter movies. The first one followed the plot points so literally it was painful. They had a giant loving checklist of everything that HAD to be in. By the third one ( Prisoner of Azkeban ) they had their own feel going on, and it felt much more natural and was visually much stronger. I feel like DD got stuck in the middle - they had their big loving list of things to check off - most of which ended up being unimportant to the plot. Which made the story overburdened with characters and details. And later, once they started cutting, they lacked the ability / talent / budget / whatever to make it their own (good) story. As you pointed out, the Arya/Tywin was new, and pretty awesome. The scene first season with Robert/Cersei at the table was awesome. It did so much to set up the backstory.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is so drat telling that those two scenes (and the beetles line) are literally the only original contributions to the series anyone ever lauds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

They said that it was harder for the actors to emote with their eyes with the contacts in. I do t see why they could change their color in post production though.

Look you can either have purple targ eyes or 20 seconds of Ghost per season but they cant afford both.