Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Look, I know bullets stopped having any power like halfway through the series but I still like Launch, stop badmouthing her like this. Put her in DBZ fighters, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

That doesn't look like anything to me.

RareAcumen posted:

Look, I know bullets stopped having any power like halfway through the series but I still like Launch, stop badmouthing her like this. Put her in DBZ fighters, why not?

I will never forgive Toriyama for what he did to Launch.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Dabi's just been a waste of a character it feels, he's there fill the dark emo niche. As dumb as it sounds, I'd love if AfO nabbed Todoroki's bro, yanked his quirk, and stuck it in this stupid emo kid just to gently caress with that family.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The problem with Dabi is basically a microcosm of the problem with MHA in general -- his quirk just doesn't really lend itself to interesting fights. He either roasts enemies or he doesn't; All Might either pulverizes enemies or he doesn't; All for One either has the perfect quirk or he doesn't... there's really no middle ground.

It's why Deku getting 6 extra quirks is at the same time encouraging and also worrying. Deku having superstrength is just not that interesting, but also Deku being able to pull out the perfect quirk to win a fight is also uninteresting.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Am I seriously witnessing a return of "emo" as pejorative anime character descriptor

what year is this

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dabi is like the prototype to Todoroki in a lot of ways. Less interesting, not fully fleshed out (as of right now), but we're still supposed to consider him a bigger deal than he has been.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheKingslayer posted:

Shigaraki is just as big of a tryhard edge lord has Dabi.

Which is exactly my point. We’re invested in Shigaraki but not Dani because of how the story treats them differently.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SKULL.GIF posted:

The problem with Dabi is basically a microcosm of the problem with MHA in general -- his quirk just doesn't really lend itself to interesting fights. He either roasts enemies or he doesn't; All Might either pulverizes enemies or he doesn't; All for One either has the perfect quirk or he doesn't... there's really no middle ground.

It's why Deku getting 6 extra quirks is at the same time encouraging and also worrying. Deku having superstrength is just not that interesting, but also Deku being able to pull out the perfect quirk to win a fight is also uninteresting.

Haha yeah All Might's power is so lame that's why the best animated fights have all been his

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Shigaraki's quirk doesn't lend itself to interesting fights but he's still really cool.

The League of Villains haven't even really had fights, Toga excepted, but they're still cool guys. Sure I guess fights scenes aren't always the comics strong suit but that's not really relevant to Dabi.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Blockhouse posted:

Am I seriously witnessing a return of "emo" as pejorative anime character descriptor

what year is this

The kids are back to using emo as a pejorative again. I hear it constantly at the school I work.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think there's anything inherent to super strength or fire blasts that makes them boring to write fights around. It'd be like saying sword-fights are boring because "they either block them, or they don't."

The big example is Bakugo, whose explosion-blast power could be really boring if he just stood in place and hurled explosions around, but instead he gets really creative with it in a way that helps sell the idea he really is a good fighter with prodigious talent, and also makes for interesting fight scenes. Dabi's straightforward blasting seems like a deliberate way to demonstrate he's not making an effort and leaning on his strong quirk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He's probably the League's most effective and capable member but in the end he's just dull.

Well, we're told he's competent, or at least he himself thinks he is, but in terms of actually accomplishing things he's had negative value. He murders every potential recruit he meets, only breaking that trend with Hawks, who is a double agent working against him. He refuses to help the League do the stuff they want to do and had to pretty much be forced to help out in this arc. Back in the camp arc both he and Twice noted that the clones of him were exceptionally fragile, and his contribution to the core plot was just starting a fire, so anyone could have done what he did with a can of gasoline and some matches. And his extremely distinctive appearance that he doesn't even try to cover up is what got the VA's first headquarters discovered, leading to the loss of All For One and a whole lot of other misery for the League.

He wants to look like he's cool and effective, but he's the only League member who doesn't understand the value of cooperation (which even Shigaraki has come to understand) and pretty much everything he's done besides kill Snatch (and Compress is the one who actually stopped him, then after he was trapped he could have been dealt with however they wanted) has accomplished nothing for the League or outright hurt them. Spinner has had more value to the team, because at least he can drive, and his biggest fuckup was saving Deku's life back at the camp an getting himself and Magne captured until Black Mist came and broke them back out so the damage was relatively minor.

He does look cool, though. So there's that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dabi deserved that jacuzzi full of hot water Rei threw at him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean in the camp arc he's the guy with the last laugh, who mocks Todoroki as he makes off with Bakugou but yeah I was mostly talking about how the story portrays him.

E: The story wants Dabi to come off as cool and capable so he's not involved with any of the things that make the other members of the League actually cool.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Speaking of Todoroki I've grown to like him a lot. He's def a cool pretty boy archetype but Horikoshi gives him a nice mix of actually cool and also kinda naive and a little dorky and it makes him pretty endearing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dabi feels like he has taken too long to get a setup but we'll see if he can ever do anything with this fight. Framing him as the league's glass cannon would be fine enough IMO- since Endeavor said Dabi's flames were much more powerful than his. Dabi's thing becoming area denial and brute-force AOE attacks lets him do a lot of useful stuff in the story as far as bottling people into arenas and setting ticking timebombs (the area you're in burning to the ground).

The only thing with Dabi is that you know the only people Dabi can kill are people you're fine with drawing being horrifically burned to death, and that's not something you'd see happen to any of the kids and most of the main cast adults. Unless they just up his power to let you do the DBZ thing where people just vaporize in the blast.

As a character? We'll have to see how the Hawks thing and inevitable Todoroki reveal works. I guarantee we'll forget this conversation if he ends up killing Endeavor or something.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Official is out.

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1130229405433810944

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabricated posted:

Dabi feels like he has taken too long to get a setup but we'll see if he can ever do anything with this fight. Framing him as the league's glass cannon would be fine enough IMO- since Endeavor said Dabi's flames were much more powerful than his. Dabi's thing becoming area denial and brute-force AOE attacks lets him do a lot of useful stuff in the story as far as bottling people into arenas and setting ticking timebombs (the area you're in burning to the ground).

The only thing with Dabi is that you know the only people Dabi can kill are people you're fine with drawing being horrifically burned to death, and that's not something you'd see happen to any of the kids and most of the main cast adults. Unless they just up his power to let you do the DBZ thing where people just vaporize in the blast.

As a character? We'll have to see how the Hawks thing and inevitable Todoroki reveal works. I guarantee we'll forget this conversation if he ends up killing Endeavor or something.

Yeah, I’m gonna agree that Dabi killing Endeavour is a petty high possibility of happening.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, I’m gonna agree that Dabi killing Endeavour is a petty high possibility of happening.

Won't happen. He'll utterly defeat him again but IcyHot will be there to step over his dad's wrecked body and grow beyond both of them (and attempt to reach out to Dabs like Deku did to him)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wow way to rip off Hagakure. First Horikoshi makes a second Deku in sugar boy and now he makes a second invisible girl. What a hack.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

GimmickMan posted:

Wow way to rip off Hagakure. First Horikoshi makes a second Deku in sugar boy and now he makes a second invisible girl. What a hack.

Everyone is Mineta

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dabi wasn't interesting to begin with but I feel like he gets worse with every hint that he's a long lost Todoroki. Feels like one of those plot twists that was intended to be dealt with early on but got delayed. So now it's the most obvious thing in the world but you just know it's going to be played as a shocking reveal and a chapter ending stinger that will make everyone over the age of ten roll their eyes out of their skull.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

For me, I'm less interested in the "Dabi is a Todoroki" reveal than I am with seeing what Endeavor and Shoto's reactions will be to that reveal.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Shocking twist: Dabi actually is not a Todoroki at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shocking twist: im a todoroki

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arist posted:

Shocking twist: im a todoroki

You're a tanuki, not a todoroki :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What if the real hidden Todoroki was the friends we made along the way

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Shocking twist: Dabi actually is not a Todoroki at all.

I've been saying that it's a red herring.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If it's a red herring then I have even more reasons to not care about Dabi.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There can't be much worse for a successful writer to set up a years long reveal and when people figure it out in advance their reaction is just: meh

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I hope its obvious on purpose and all the characters just go "ah, yeah, we knew" when Dabi finally reveals his name.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

lunar detritus posted:

I hope its obvious on purpose and all the characters just go "ah, yeah, we knew" when Dabi finally reveals his name.

Ah yes the Diablo 3 Belial route

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lunar detritus posted:

Everyone knew except Todoroki.

The rest just assumed he figured it out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dabi: Shoto, I am...your brother!

Shoto:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eej posted:

There can't be much worse for a successful writer to set up a years long reveal and when people figure it out in advance their reaction is just: meh

you put all the hints and clues there for a reason. it's not this is the whole conceit of the narrative and I'm sure horikoshi knew people would suspect this from the second dabi's quirk was shown

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I thinking Dabi being a Todoroki is pretty much a given now, but I still want a gross reveal like Dabi's wearing someone else's skin over his burnt skin. Like he skinned a person with a fire resistant quirk or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still waiting on the reveal that Deku's dad is Endeavor's brother or cousin or something too since all fire powers start from the Todoroki family.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Sana-kan posted:

I thinking Dabi being a Todoroki is pretty much a given now, but I still want a gross reveal like Dabi's wearing someone else's skin over his burnt skin. Like he skinned a person with a fire resistant quirk or something.

He has skin grafts. My bet's generally been Dabi isn't a Todoroki, but got those grafts from Touya, willingly or otherwise. Endeavor and Shoto have skin that's either resistant or completely immune to flames. They have to worry about overheating their internals. I imagine Touya ha(s/d) the same, though overheats much easier than his brother and father. Making his skin valuable to someone whose flame quirk torches his own skin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe he just thinks it looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adder Moray posted:

He has skin grafts. My bet's generally been Dabi isn't a Todoroki, but got those grafts from Touya, willingly or otherwise. Endeavor and Shoto have skin that's either resistant or completely immune to flames. They have to worry about overheating their internals. I imagine Touya ha(s/d) the same, though overheats much easier than his brother and father. Making his skin valuable to someone whose flame quirk torches his own skin.

Or maybe he didn't inherit that aspect of his father's quirk and got his mother's skin instead, which didn't afford him that resistance.

So then he burned off most of his skin using his powers.