Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bob Morales posted:

What specs does it have? If it's not a bare-bones 128/8gb model I'd think you could get > $500 private party. That is a decent no hassle price though.

Just a base model unfortunately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

enojy posted:

Just a base model unfortunately!

Then just take it to Apple and drop $200. They’ll replace the battery and it will get a new keyboard to boot.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Then use it until the day you die because it's not like apple will ever make a better computer

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

enojy posted:

Pretty sure my early 2015 MBp battery is swelling :( Unless the bottom case has always had a slight bulge to it by the spacebar and top half of trackpad, and it took me four years to notice. I only noticed about a week ago, when the top case didn't seem to close as flush as usual, and the top two corners of the trackpad are slightly sticking out above the aluminum. I'm bummed, since I've tried taking great care of the battery. It's only got 210 cycles on it, but I guess that doesn't matter when it comes to the possibility of swelling.

Is there a good time window to trade in Macs? I know I'd have to have the battery replaced first, but Apple is currently offering $475 for this base model 2015 13", which is not bad at all. Does the value decrease by the year or something, or does it just drop to zero once it goes "vintage"?

Prices drop pretty quickly. Is that price with the battery issues too or does it still report a “Normal” condition?

I like the repair route myself, but if you want to sell Swappa and MacMeAnOffer are also good places to scope out.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 17, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

nitsuga posted:

Prices drop pretty quickly. Is that price with the battery issues too or does it still report a “Normal” condition?

I like the repair route myself, but if you want to sell Swappa and MacMeAnOffer are also good places to scope out.

It was a trade-in quote from Apple's website, but while the battery reported as normal, it certainly wouldn't have passed a visual inspection. I brought it in for service to have the battery replaced, and the employee noticed that even the bottom of the casing was bowing out as well!

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I've got a 2016 Macbook Air that's getting a Service Battery warning. Cycle count is only 185.

If I take it into a Genius Bar, does anyone know how likely is it they'll be able to repair this thing on the spot if all it needs is a battery replacement?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Not very, they'll usually have to order a new top case assembly and it'll take at least an hour or two to switch it out.

If it's a high traffic Fruit Stand they might stock them but I doubt it.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Binary Badger posted:

Not very, they'll usually have to order a new top case assembly and it'll take at least an hour or two to switch it out.

If it's a high traffic Fruit Stand they might stock them but I doubt it.

Right on, thank you.

If they have to order stuff do they ask to keep your hardware in shop until parts arrive and they can replace them, or is it possible they can call you back in when they're stocked?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They can call you back but you'll likely have to come pick it up the next day or later that night if you drop it off earlier.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GeorgieMordor posted:

I've got a 2016 Macbook Air that's getting a Service Battery warning. Cycle count is only 185.

If I take it into a Genius Bar, does anyone know how likely is it they'll be able to repair this thing on the spot if all it needs is a battery replacement?

I just had my 2015 MacBook Pro battery replaced and it had to be mailed away for the repair. YMMV based on the differences between the batteries in a '15 MBP and '16 MB. Either way, the turnaround time was only something like three days. Also, my battery was swelling and putting pressure on the trackpad and lower part of the keyboard, so that may have had something to do with it being mailed out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

YMMV based on model type and whether or not the battery damaged other parts.

In enojy's case they likely diagnosed multiple parts were damaged because of the battery expansion and so they just sent it in, because at the regional repair centers, *every* part is in stock (except those sold out.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Isn’t a 2016 Air one of the last models with a modular, easily removable battery? If so, the replacement should take almost no time assuming parts are in stock.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GeorgieMordor posted:

Oh-ho, trick question! 2016 MacBook Air models don't exist. They had a 2015, then a 2017. You must have bought it in 2016 and have a 2015.

BobHoward posted:

Isn’t a 2016 Air one of the last models with a modular, easily removable battery? If so, the replacement should take almost no time assuming parts are in stock.

Oh-ho, you technically got me on that, now that I've checked, yes both the 2015 and 2017 MacBook Airs had standalone batteries not glued to the top case. However, good luck finding a Fruit Stand that would actually have the room to keep that battery in stock; they tend to focus on only having room for stock that can sell, not service parts.

Hmm, those Retina MacBooks are sure getting long in the tooth, their last refresh was 2017?! I'm sure Intel has already come out with newer generation low power chips good for this model.. I sure as gently caress wouldn't buy one unless it was on sale, they need to step it up already.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 20, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New 8-core MacBook Pro

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/05/apple-introduces-first-8-core-macbook-pro-the-fastest-mac-notebook-ever/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A little more detail:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/05/21/apple-updates-13--and-15-inch-macbook-pros-with-new-intel-chips-enhanced-butterfly-keyboard

15-inch rMBPs get speed bumps up to 5 GHz, maximum 32 GB RAM, maximum storage is 4 TB (lol) and you get choice of Radeon 560, Vega 16/20 GPU

13-inch rMBPs get speed bumps up to 4.1 GHz, maximum 16 GB RAM, maximum storage is 2 TB, still no discrete GPU

Keyboards still the same dopey slimline butterfly style but supposedly fixed up even better-er.

Incredibly enough, the Non-Touch Bars are still there, just with speed bumps but same lovely dual core, same 2 TB ports

IMHO: speed and core bumps meh.

Looks like Apple is separating the hardware announcements from WWDC.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 21, 2019

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

“All day battery” :rolleyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NEW MATERIALS in the butterfly mechanism

2018 models are now covered in the keyboard repair programme

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Binary Badger posted:

A little more detail:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/05/21/apple-updates-13--and-15-inch-macbook-pros-with-new-intel-chips-enhanced-butterfly-keyboard

15-inch rMBPs get speed bumps up to 5 GHz, maximum 32 GB RAM, maximum storage is 4 TB (lol) and you get choice of Radeon 560, Vega 16/20 GPU

13-inch rMBPs get speed bumps up to 4.1 GHz, maximum 16 GB RAM, maximum storage is 2 TB, still no discrete GPU

Keyboards still the same dopey slimline butterfly style but supposedly fixed up even better-er.

Incredibly enough, the Non-Touch Bars are still there, just with speed bumps but same lovely dual core, same 2 TB ports

IMHO: speed and core bumps meh.

Looks like Apple is separating the hardware announcements from WWDC.

You mean leaving WWDC for the MacPro.

eames
May 9, 2009

The butterfly keyboard has updated materials to, uh, keep better the dust out?

All 2018 models are now also covered by the keyboard replacement program but only the 2018 MBP and MBA can get the newest 2019 replacement keyboard, older devices are stuck with the (now officially flawed?) 2018 version.

a pretty weird update all around. I've got my fingers crossed for a teaser of an ARM Macbook at WWDC, 12" form factor with 15" performance.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Going to keep limping along with my 2012 rMBP with display issue (it almost looks interlaced, like a pinstripe effect from the early versions of OS X covering the whole screen).

I'm hoping at least we can get a "ProMotion" 120Hz display on next year's dongle-touch-books if I'm going to give up ports and the old keyboard. There's just nothing compelling to me otherwise. Here's hoping.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Give me a graphics card in the 13 you cowards.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Give me a graphics card in the 13 you cowards.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

The butterfly keyboard has updated materials to, uh, keep better the dust out?

I'm not sure that's the case, the condoms under every key are already doing a good job of that.

This independent technician on Reddit notes that the 2nd generation bfly keyboard actually does a good job keeping out dust. He doesn't come out and outright say 'its defective materials in the key contacts' but he may as well have. Something about the material used in the contact part would indicate it doesn't seem to stand up to repeated stresses, using too brittle an alloy or something? It's not heat, the metal can take much more than the computer puts out, it's not dust, it's what went into the keys themselves.

According to the Loop:

The Loop posted:

To address the problem, Apple said they changed the material in the keyboard’s butterfly mechanism that should substantially reduce issues that some users have seen.

Oh, look: https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Almost every keyboard going back to the 2015 Retina MacBook is eligible for replacement with the 2019 keyboards.

Neat, but it should have never happened in the first place; the damage is already done and the slim butterfly MacBook keyboards are the laughingstock of the industry.

wooger posted:

You mean leaving WWDC for the MacPro.

I still get the feeling they will announce the 2019 MacPro independent of WWDC, unless they really think they can get away with "Hey spend $5,000 on the ULTIMATE development system!!@!" I believe it's going to good decent but so horrifyingly expensive that it will be out of reach for most independent studios. It'll be announced either shortly before or after WWDC, IMHO.

There's still a lot of stinkeye reserved for Apple after the boondoggle of the fabled 2013 TrashCan Pro, so much so that I think they'd want to play it safe by not making it the centerpiece of a developers conference, which is all about software anyway.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 21, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can you get the new 2019 keyboard in the new Air I wonder

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

hatty posted:

Can you get the new 2019 keyboard in the new Air I wonder

Yes, they already said so.

Look here:

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

MacBook Air, Retina, 2018 is on the list.

Now, if they start -shipping- them with the 2019 keyboards.. hmm don't know about that, might be too late to update the pipeline.. but it can always be replaced!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 21, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh I didn’t see that. That’s good to know if I see a cheap Air somewhere

eames
May 9, 2009

2019 replacement keyboard only fits in 2018 devices though. Older models will get older keyboards.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Binary Badger posted:

I'm not sure that's the case, the condoms under every key are already doing a good job of that.

This independent technician on Reddit notes that the 2nd generation bfly keyboard actually does a good job keeping out dust. He doesn't come out and outright say 'its defective materials in the key contacts' but he may as well have. Something about the material used in the contact part would indicate it doesn't seem to stand up to repeated stresses, using too brittle an alloy or something? It's not heat, the metal can take much more than the computer puts out, it's not dust, it's what went into the keys themselves.

According to the Loop:

Oh, look: https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Almost every keyboard going back to the 2015 Retina MacBook is eligible for replacement with the 2019 keyboards.

Neat, but it should have never happened in the first place; the damage is already done and the slim butterfly MacBook keyboards are the laughingstock of the industry.

I still get the feeling they will announce the 2019 MacPro independent of WWDC, unless they really think they can get away with "Hey spend $5,000 on the ULTIMATE development system!!@!" I believe it's going to good decent but so horrifyingly expensive that it will be out of reach for most independent studios. It'll be announced either shortly before or after WWDC, IMHO.

There's still a lot of stinkeye reserved for Apple after the boondoggle of the fabled 2013 TrashCan Pro, so much so that I think they'd want to play it safe by not making it the centerpiece of a developers conference, which is all about software anyway.

The way I read the tech's dust test is "we went to the extent of immersing the keyboard in dust and still none got in, so dust is clearly not the issue".

Would their next step not be "hammer on the keys repeatedly and forcefully (but not so hard as to constitute actual abuse) and see if that causes the mechanisms to break"?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hi Mac thread,

Here's a question from someone who has never really used a Mac. I work at a company that was formerly part of a public institution, but has since separated from said institution and exist as a stand-alone entity now. While we were a part of this institution we purchased a MacBook Pro (with our money), but because we were under their auspices we had to register this Mac in their own system, meaning that even though we separated a year ago I still have to log on through their own system and I'm hooked up to their network and share drive. In the coming weeks we will totally divorce from them and I will not be able to log on to this laptop, which again, belongs to my company. Is there a way I can just go wipe it but keep the OS or whatever? Again, I have never used a Mac in my life and don't know anything about them, but this is my work laptop now so I'd like to get it sorted.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The saddest thing is that the 'Free Keyboards For Everybody!' program feels like too little, too late for me.

Apple has literally turbofucked their reputation WRT keyboards pretty much forever, after ignoring user complaints for like, four years straight?

The first thing that people say when new owners roll up with their spanking brand new MBPs is going to be 'but lol your keyboard' for a loooong time to come.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eames posted:

2019 replacement keyboard only fits in 2018 devices though. Older models will get older keyboards.

Where does it say this, I scanned through the Apple announcements and The Loop article and didn’t see anything like that.

I mean it makes sense if the exact keyboard part doesn’t fit, because the assembly they replace is the entire top case, but if the real fix actually is a materials change to the switch dome, they could easily make that change to replacement keyboards manufactured for older computers. Iirc they have not been changing the basic mechanical design of the key mechanism in any of these updated keyboards.

(E: that last being why nobody trusted the prior fixes to actually fix anything)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The way I read the tech's dust test is "we went to the extent of immersing the keyboard in dust and still none got in, so dust is clearly not the issue".

Would their next step not be "hammer on the keys repeatedly and forcefully (but not so hard as to constitute actual abuse) and see if that causes the mechanisms to break"?

That Reddit guy never really gets to that, but that's the conclusion I drew.

IMHO Apple did not test the 2016 keyboard nearly enough, I think they just threw it out onto the market because Jony told them to and they just hoped for the best. It's even more egregious if, as I think what happened in this case, happened- that the design really was decent, but they were failed by the guys in their sourcing department.

I think that the design was tested using the perfect materials but someone down the line said "Oooooh, look, if we source the contacts using 30 percent somekinda alloy instead of the 60 percent somekinda alloy called for in the spec, we'll save $500 or whatever bucks on each one! Can we get away with it?" ..and they simply thought yeah sure why not, who the hell will notice..

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hi Mac thread,

Here's a question from someone who has never really used a Mac. I work at a company that was formerly part of a public institution, but has since separated from said institution and exist as a stand-alone entity now. While we were a part of this institution we purchased a MacBook Pro (with our money), but because we were under their auspices we had to register this Mac in their own system, meaning that even though we separated a year ago I still have to log on through their own system and I'm hooked up to their network and share drive. In the coming weeks we will totally divorce from them and I will not be able to log on to this laptop, which again, belongs to my company. Is there a way I can just go wipe it but keep the OS or whatever? Again, I have never used a Mac in my life and don't know anything about them, but this is my work laptop now so I'd like to get it sorted.

Apple has a guide on how to prepare your Mac to be sold, ie how to wipe it and return it to essentially just out of the box state. Seems like that should be roughly what you’re looking for.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

eames
May 9, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Where does it say this, I scanned through the Apple announcements and The Loop article and didn’t see anything like that.

here:

verge posted:

On a call this morning, the company also declined to actually characterize what the new material is other than to say it “substantially reduces” the issue of double or missed key presses. The new design still counts as “third generation,” aka the same keyboard that shipped on the new MacBook Air.

Some current MacBook Pro 13-inch with Touch Bar and 15-inch customers that bring in their keyboards for repair will actually have their keyboards replaced with ones that have these new materials, Apple says. That will only happen for MacBooks that have the third-generation butterfly keyboard today: the 2018 models of the MacBook Pro and the new MacBook Air.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/21/18634247/macbook-butterfly-keyboard-problems-apple-repair-new-materials

Binary Badger posted:

The first thing that people say when new owners roll up with their spanking brand new MBPs is going to be 'but lol your keyboard' for a loooong time to come.

possibly forever if their design trajectory continues and they are going to replace the keyboard with a haptic touchscreen :v:

eames fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 21, 2019

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Apple has a guide on how to prepare your Mac to be sold, ie how to wipe it and return it to essentially just out of the box state. Seems like that should be roughly what you’re looking for.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

That is what I assumed, but I've never messed around with Macs. I assume I will need to register some Apple account (the current one belongs to someone who worked at my company previously) in order to use it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

That is what I assumed, but I've never messed around with Macs. I assume I will need to register some Apple account (the current one belongs to someone who worked at my company previously) in order to use it?

You're gonna have to get the password to that old AppleID and log off all the services in that guide that BobHoward mentioned, if you don't it's gonna be locked to that old ID even if you do a wipe and reformat. Hardware credentials get stored and linked in the cloud to that old account.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 21, 2019

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

The saddest thing is that the 'Free Keyboards For Everybody!' program feels like too little, too late for me.

Apple has literally turbofucked their reputation WRT keyboards pretty much forever, after ignoring user complaints for like, four years straight?

If a problem of this magnitude happened to the iPhone, or even the Apple Watch, it would've been fixed a year or two ago. But at today's Apple, the Mac is less of a priority than Apple as financial services company, or Apple's new video streaming service.

RAM, and SSD pricing especially is still exorbitant. Since my 2013 MBP really lives on my desk, I think I'll replace it with a Mac mini by the end of the year, and use an iPad as my portable computer.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

what's the tdp of the new chips? my 2018 mbpr has disasterous thermals and there's no way i'm buying another mac until they address that

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the talent deficit posted:

what's the tdp of the new chips? my 2018 mbpr has disasterous thermals and there's no way i'm buying another mac until they address that
Well with the new ThermoType™ technology the butterfly switches are all now copper fins on a built-in heatsink, and are warm and toasty for your fingertips as well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Linguica posted:

Well with the new ThermoType™ technology the butterfly switches are all now copper fins on a built-in heatsink, and are warm and toasty for your fingertips as well,

Sold!

Now keyboard warriors get the most out of their Macs!