Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Captain Cappy posted:

Any recommendations for Macross model kits and where to buy them?

I was eyeballing one of these, and kind of want one of the Gerwalk mode ones but uhh can't find anything on them. HLJ and amazon had a ton of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gearhead posted:

Tallgeese may be my favorite mobile suit in all its forms. If only because it's an overbuilt grunt suit in a mask.

Counterpoint: the Leos are the Tallgeese, but with all the unnecessary parts removed. Source:

It turns out it's really hard to mix up that desaturated blue-purple color the special ground Leos get.

This was also the first time I used the Vallejo mecha varnishes. The matte does look a little flatter than their standard varnish, but it's just as delicate. Put a layer of gloss down first anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It looks so flat I thought it was a render.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

It looks so flat I thought it was a render.

Oh good, it's not just me then. It absolutely looks like a low-texture 3D model of an Leo instead of an actual model kit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah that rules

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm sick of my backlog so I'm marathon assembling thirty kits this weekend please wish me luck

Unmature
May 9, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm sick of my backlog so I'm marathon assembling thirty kits this weekend please wish me luck

Stream it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

:rip: your fingnats if any of them is an MG Zaku.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Merilan posted:

I'm tempted to get the RG Tallgeese II and III but honestly I think the little ankle thing with the RG Tallgeese where you slip the shoe on from the side and it literally has zero ability to tilt its ankle left or right really sucked

I guess it's meant for flight but unless I was doing something really wrong it was a big disappointment in an otherwise amazing kit :(

I've got 1 and 2 on my backlog and just ordered 3. Tallgeese in all forms is one of my favorite suits, along with Epyon.

Epyon RG when?

Midjack posted:

all of them are MG Zaku :getin:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Midjack posted:

besides the polypod ball they are thankfully all SDs or HGs

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Still learning about the designations of the different types of models. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two Goufs? I just watched the first episodes with it in the OG Gundam series and love it. Thinking of getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/BANDAI-Mobile-Gundam-MS-07B-3-CUSTOM/dp/B0041F084S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=gouf+gundam&qid=1558380559&s=gateway&sr=8-1 or this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Revive-Mobile-Building/dp/B01BD3NIJ2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=gouf+gundam&qid=1558380559&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I haven't even started on my first model yet, but I'm already thinking about taking a trip to Little Tokyo this weekend and loading up. Also if any other LA goons know good local places that sell Gunpla please let me know. I got my first one at the Eagle Rock Plaza. Their prices are ok, but all models are currently 25% off.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 20, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Unmature posted:

Still learning about the designations of the different types of models. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two Goufs? I just watched the first episodes with it in the OG Gundam series and love it. Thinking of getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/BANDAI-Mobile-Gundam-MS-07B-3-CUSTOM/dp/B0041F084S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=gouf+gundam&qid=1558380559&s=gateway&sr=8-1 or this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Revive-Mobile-Building/dp/B01BD3NIJ2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=gouf+gundam&qid=1558380559&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I haven't even started on my first model yet, but I'm already thinking about taking a trip to Little Tokyo this weekend and loading up. Also if any other LA goons know good local places that sell Gunpla please let me know. I got my first one at the Eagle Rock Plaza. Their prices are ok, but all models are currently 25% off.

That first one is the Gouf Custom, used by Zeon ace Norris Packard in Gundam 08th MS Team. It's super badass, but that kit is very old.

The second one is the regular Gouf, used by Zeon ace Ramba Ral in the original Gundam. It's super badass and that's a pretty recent kit. So it'll have all the advances in engineering and design that newer kits have. For example, in the Gouf there's a little lever under the chin that lets you move the eye back and forth, but in the Gouf Custom the eye doesn't move at all.

So I'd recommend the second link, the regular Gouf. Unless you just really prefer the look of the Gouf Custom

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

That first one is the Gouf Custom, used by Zeon ace Norris Packard in Gundam 08th MS Team. It's super badass, but that kit is very old.

The second one is the regular Gouf, used by Zeon ace Ramba Ral in the original Gundam. It's super badass and that's a pretty recent kit. So it'll have all the advances in engineering and design that newer kits have. For example, in the Gouf there's a little lever under the chin that lets you move the eye back and forth, but in the Gouf Custom the eye doesn't move at all.

So I'd recommend the second link, the regular Gouf. Unless you just really prefer the look of the Gouf Custom

Thanks! I wanted Ramba Ral’s so I’m gonna go for the second one.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Has anyone managed to successfully place an order from Bluefin's site?

Edit: Nvm, solved it by using a different browser. Can't wait for my first P-Bandais.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Wait, so the United States has a legit way to directly order P-Bandai stuff now? Am I reading this correctly?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, so the United States has a legit way to directly order P-Bandai stuff now? Am I reading this correctly?

https://www.bluefinbrands.com/premium-bandai.html

Apparently their checkout is picky about your choice of browser or adblocker.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Solkanar512 posted:

At least some stuff, yes. We will see if it ends up being a small subset or a general store.

Either way, the prices are so much better than everything else.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Gripweed posted:

Looks like OP is after the OG Gouf anyway but I've built both recently and they're extremely similar. There's certainly not enough difference between them to base your purchase on anything other than looks or accessories.

The Custom absolutely has the exact same mono-eye adjustment as the newer kit. In fact, despite them being different moulds the newer kit seems to be heavily based on the older one.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

If you like Leos, check out the contest my local store is having-
https://imgur.com/t/newtype%202019%20bracket%20challenge

(They changed their name to Newtype and moved but its still the same place)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Unmature posted:

On the topic of model types. General rule is anything made in the last 10 years should be fine, and the more recent the better it is.

HG is a basic, action figure sized kit. 1/144, probably your cheapest “real” kit scale. Has the best selection. Most people start here, and often do more of their building here just due to volume and price.

MG is a bit larger at 1/100, and anything for the past decade or so has an internal frame, which makes them a lot sturdier.

Full Mechanics is a 1/100 line specifically for the Iron Blooded Orphans show. They get an internal frame, but are a bit lower quality than MG. Cheaper than an MG though, and still great quality because of how new they are.

Re/100 is roughly a 1/100 high grade. No internal frame to speak of, and generally this is where the weird suits live.

RG is a 1/144 scale with a special frame. Most kit frames are half built on the runner. Incredibly detailed. Most kits are prone to becoming shrapnel grenades if you look at them funny. The last few have been top tier though. Mostly restricted to hero suits from the more popular series, but they’ve gone a few antagonist suits recently too.

PG is 1/60, really awesome kits, really expensive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Still learning about the designations of the different types of models. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two Goufs? I just watched the first episodes with it in the OG Gundam series and love it. Thinking of getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/BANDAI-Mobil...=gateway&sr=8-1 or this one: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Revive-Mobile-Building/dp/B01BD3NIJ2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=gouf+gundam&qid=1558380559&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Anime Jungle in Little Tokyo and Robot4Less in are the two biggest stores in the LA area. Poke around the bones of the GB forums and there’s a thread for gunpla store reviews, mostly in LA.. Nevermind, looks like the forums are deleted.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 21, 2019

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

It's old yeah but it's an excellent kit

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

And obviously the custom looks more badass, so there's that

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

It's old yeah but it's an excellent kit

Is it better than the newer one?

Bill Posters posted:

The Custom absolutely has the exact same mono-eye adjustment as the newer kit. In fact, despite them being different moulds the newer kit seems to be heavily based on the older one.

Yeah I’m in a store looking at the boxes and the custom has the eye thing displayed on the side

Unmature fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 21, 2019

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Just go with whichever one you think looks cooler.

Really, apart from the very few notoriously bad ones out there that's the best criteria for picking kits in general.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bill Posters posted:

Looks like OP is after the OG Gouf anyway but I've built both recently and they're extremely similar. There's certainly not enough difference between them to base your purchase on anything other than looks or accessories.

Oh hey, you're right. Dalong didn't show off that feature in their Gouf Custom review for some reason

Unmature posted:

Is it better than the newer one?

The difference between the two isn't as big as I thought, but the new one is still an improvement. It has a partial internal skeleton, double jointed elbows, and more mobile skirt armor.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
There's also the Gouf R35 from Build Fighters.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Unmature posted:

I'm being forced to clean out my backlog due to a long term move overseas later this year. Send me an email at mastercoo7588 at gmail and I will send you some cool poo poo in the mail.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Get the Gouf R35 kit. It's based on the revive frame and comes with a ton of that kits parts as alternatives to the R35 parts, so you can build a customized version if you like.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Get the Gouf R35 kit. It's based on the revive frame and comes with a ton of that kits parts as alternatives to the R35 parts, so you can build a customized version if you like.

Also watch Build Fighters, its a good show and has more Ramba Ral in it...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Apprentice Dick posted:

I'm being forced to clean out my backlog due to a long term move overseas later this year. Send me an email at mastercoo7588 at gmail and I will send you some cool poo poo in the mail.

Whoa thanks! I already like this community a lot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's nice to hear. I wasn't aware of whether or not it was based off the other kit or used a slightly different mold.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

That's nice to hear. I wasn't aware of whether or not it was based off the other kit or used a slightly different mold.

Well, technically the Revive is based on the R35. The modified version came first this time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
https://twitter.com/mrmattjay/status/1131073542156505088?s=21

Built my first gunpla and it feels good, folks

EDIT:
Thanks! Gonna pick up the Gouf tomorrow I think. It’s two bucks more at a local store than amazon but they’re giving out a free weapon with every Gundam purchase. Not sure what the weapon is or if there’s a selection.
VVVVVVVVVV

Unmature fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 22, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Great work! Love the pose as well

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Get you some panel lines, son.

Your local art store should have some of the 005 Microns. They're generally cheaper than the Gundam Markers and work just as well.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Get you some panel lines, son.

Your local art store should have some of the 005 Microns. They're generally cheaper than the Gundam Markers and work just as well.

My tool kit came with a pigment liner. Gonna get a micron. Haven't bought those since I got into Wacoms like a decade ago.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

My tool kit came with a pigment liner. Gonna get a micron. Haven't bought those since I got into Wacoms like a decade ago.

Panel lining really does seem a bit silly at first, but drat if it doesn't make your models pop.

The next step is getting some spray matte varnish to knock some of the plastic-y shine off your robots. From there, it's a deep, dark descent into airbrushing.

one of us, one of ussss

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
My transition from "this looks fun enough to snap together although no way am I doing panel lining or any of that tryhard poo poo" to buying an airbrush was like two months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I always thought that while the GN-X was really cool, its color scheme was a bit too subdued. I finally got to start working on putting my MG of it into Rick Dom colors!