Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I didn't know these were a thing:

From here

Also, have a laugh at the Euro-spec bumper for the current Wrangler:

Yeah, I've been perusing Jeep Facebook groups lately. What of it? :colbert:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I didn't know these were a thing:

From here

drat and I always thought the US was the one to get stuck with the lovely bumpers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

drat and I always thought the US was the one to get stuck with the lovely bumpers.

Us bumper laws were all about the money. EU bumper laws are about not chopping pedestrians in half.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Powershift posted:

Us bumper laws were all about the money. EU bumper laws are about not chopping pedestrians in half.

The communists won in the end. RIP pop-up headlights, the last gasp of our beautiful golden age of capitalism.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elviscat posted:

The communists won in the end. RIP pop-up headlights, the last gasp of our beautiful golden age of capitalism.

Capitalism killed small domestic cars

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

For content, I was behind this guy in traffic the other day:

First time I've seen the Lamborghini SUV thing in the wild, and OF COURSE it's covered in a mirror wrap on a bright sunny day. It was loving blinding. This guy is a divorce attorney around here IIRC, and at some point in the past had an equally obnoxious Murcielago (I think it was) with blue strobes in the side scoops.

e: LMAO, it's this guy
https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-most-stereotypical-lamborghini-owner-in-the-wo-5893665

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95y80hFVdw

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 21, 2019

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I live in Queens, and ride the Belt Parkway and Southern State/L.I.E. pretty frequently. I don't think I ever saw him. There is, however, some dude with a bright orange McLaren that I've seen a bunch of times on various roads. Can't remember the plate though. He does love to rev it in traffic though.

There's a lot of Lambos out here in Howard Beach and Nassau/Suffolk. Probably from Sag Harbor/Roslyn mostly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mistayke posted:

I live in Queens, and ride the Belt Parkway and Southern State/L.I.E. pretty frequently. I don't think I ever saw him. There is, however, some dude with a bright orange McLaren that I've seen a bunch of times on various roads. Can't remember the plate though. He does love to rev it in traffic though.

There's a lot of Lambos out here in Howard Beach and Nassau/Suffolk. Probably from Sag Harbor/Roslyn mostly.

That McLaren was for sale on BaT. I stopped bidding on it when I realized he missed several service intervals.

He owns a BMW dealership.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I already know, I already know this thing is going to be a bitch to work on and I will hate myself again for dealing with an early 90s 3800 but why, why do I feel this immense urge to buy it?

https://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/d/belmont-1990-buick-reatta-2dr-coupe/6894260022.html

e: I just need to bite the bullet and get the Grand National I've always wanted.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

That Works posted:

I already know, I already know this thing is going to be a bitch to work on and I will hate myself again for dealing with an early 90s 3800 but why, why do I feel this immense urge to buy it?

https://providence.craigslist.org/ctd/d/belmont-1990-buick-reatta-2dr-coupe/6894260022.html

e: I just need to bite the bullet and get the Grand National I've always wanted.

Because that dash is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFeTZGKkxwY

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm the photo of the printed out NADA guides price sheet

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is that the price to repair the dash?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

You could be living the cyberpunk dystopia the rest of us are denied!

drat, it's so clean, too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah it seems well worth the price tbh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That Works posted:

Always hated the nose-heavy look of those (and a lot of early FWD cars.)
Olds fixed it by having a comparable rear end on the contemporary Toronado.

The dash is sweet though. I got to play with one when they were new, and then again in the early '90s when I worked at a stereo shop. They used the same remote tuner packs as the '88-93-ish pickups, and Grand Ams, among others.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

That Works posted:

I don't know if it's possible with that suspension, but I think that car would look really interesting if you lowered it an inch or two and replaced those fat balloon tires with some modern low-profile rubber.
Edit: kinda like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/94/b8/00/94b800811be17513ebb0b7386b17cab9.jpg

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 22, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A little lower, but not fully stanced/slammed, to fill the arches would he great for the silhouette. But huge rims and low-pros would be a definitive no. The car lacks the fender arches the render has to make it work.

17/18s instead of the presumably 15/16 inchers on there but not much more, youd ruin the look and the ride, which was designed with 'fat' rubber in mind.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 22, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrong year. They got an interior facelift for 1990, and switched over to the same stereo head they used in the Chevy pickups in the early to mid 90s. And got rid of the godawful touchscreen CRT that controlled everything.

My first boss at Papa John's had an early Reatta for a bit, and the guy she bought it from included not one, but TWO spare complete CRTs with it, with new caps on them (and on the one installed).

That thing is clean as hell, but the underbody shots make it look like someone just blasted anything with surface rust with spray paint. Or is that some kind of rust converter instead? I'd be a lot less concerned if it's the latter.

(you should pass on it so I can buy it)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 22, 2019

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

That Works posted:

Man, getting some super nostaliga from this one. I was so, so, sooo close to buying a red one of these back in the late 90s. I didn't even know what it was, but saw it in a used car lot and just loved how it looked. But my then teenage brain couldn't accept buying a Buick, so I walked away. I'm not sure I ever saw one again, and it wasn't till much later that I realised they were actually fairly rare. I'm sure I dodged a bullet, but still wish I'd made a mistake and bought it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

JBark posted:

Man, getting some super nostaliga from this one. I was so, so, sooo close to buying a red one of these back in the late 90s. I didn't even know what it was, but saw it in a used car lot and just loved how it looked. But my then teenage brain couldn't accept buying a Buick, so I walked away. I'm not sure I ever saw one again, and it wasn't till much later that I realised they were actually fairly rare. I'm sure I dodged a bullet, but still wish I'd made a mistake and bought it.

My mom had one of these. It was loving awesome and awful. And awesome. Sky blue on sky blue velour seats. With a loving woody stripe.

I had completely forgotten about that loving thing. Retrospectively love it, hated it at the time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

My mom had one of these. It was loving awesome and awful. And awesome. Sky blue on sky blue velour seats. With a loving woody stripe.

I had completely forgotten about that loving thing. Retrospectively love it, hated it at the time.

We had that interior trim package on our Buick Electra.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Buy it, tuck the wheels, look cool as gently caress.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Buy it, tuck the wheels, look cool as gently caress.

Yes. We as a collective love to spend other people's money.

Just do it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rebadge it as an RX7, go to import meets.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Number_6 posted:

I don't know if it's possible with that suspension, but I think that car would look really interesting if you lowered it an inch or two and replaced those fat balloon tires with some modern low-profile rubber.
Edit: kinda like this:

You'll also note that they fixed the proportioning/front overhang thing I was talking about, too. That front fender opening is several inches further forward in the edit.
http://www.virtualmodels.org/photoshop-chops/buick/reatta-v8-rwd/

edit: GM *did* build a RWD test mule, but with the 3.8 turbo engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Up75edezo

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Is it a good or bad sign when the seller has his own hoist at his house?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

beats the "i don't know what's goin on under there and i don't want to know" dudes selling unibody cars as "almost rust free" with no rocker panels left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fornax Disaster posted:

Either he's a car nut or a flipper that plays mechanic on the junkyard specials he's flipping. One of these is probably a good thing, the other is definitely bad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Presented without comment.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
got a closer pic of the motor? is that a jz? looks short to be one

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BlackMK4 posted:

got a closer pic of the motor? is that a jz? looks short to be one

Looks like it could be a CA18DET, to me.

I don't recognize the headlights. Are they some aftermarket Silvia light?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't have a closer one, didn't want to be too conspicuous. Sorry.

Here's the original resolution, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lmao

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-says-hyperloop-tunnel-is-now-just-a-normal-1835024474

quote:

Yes, for those keeping score, in a mere two years we’ve gone from a futuristic vision of electric skates zooming around a variety of vehicles in a network of underground tunnels to—and I cannot stress this enough—a very small, paved tunnel that can fit one (1) car.

To recap: Musk’s company spent two years developing a very narrow car tunnel. To anyone who ever believed Elon Musk’s bullshit: you’ve been had.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

A car is more simple and efficient than a futuristic, magnetic hyperloop?
:thunk:

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I don't recognize the headlights. Are they some aftermarket Silvia light?
Aftermarket E36 headlights, I think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm the "Filed to: shitshow or scam?"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HDC posted:

Aftermarket E36 headlights, I think.

thought about aftermarket E39 lights for a moment, but they have the wrong shape and spacing. E36 sounds spot on!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

elon's next incredible realization: it costs a lot of money to repair the potholes that form in a paved underground tunnel! so we've embedded a pair of steel strips into the roadway to increase wear resistance, and

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Door Frame posted:

A car is more simple and efficient than a futuristic, magnetic hyperloop?
:thunk:

For a slightly more amount of space needed, you can add tracks, multiple cars, and the ability to carry hundreds!

Wait I described a subway didn't I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We should, like, make really big cars that can carry 40-50 people at a time.