Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nephzinho posted:

My parents just found a few thousand points of space marines in their attic that has been sitting there since I moved for college. I don't even know how to go about selling it and am slightly scared of seeing how much I spent over the years (especially considering I already got rid of my Orks. And Tyranids. And Dark Eldar.).

$1000 Warhams

Actually, you should keep a handful of dudes and build a Killteam squad :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

lmao @ crypto but the concern about SIM swaps and the problems with SMS-based 2FA are legit whether it's attacks against your shitcoins or your actual bank account.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

canyoneer posted:

$1000 Warhams

Actually, you should keep a handful of dudes and build a Killteam squad :getin:

... I already have a kill team of space marines on my bookshelf that has moved with me over the years separate from this newly discovered horde.

I was super cool in high school.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hoodwinker posted:

lmao @ crypto but the concern about SIM swaps and the problems with SMS-based 2FA are legit whether it's attacks against your shitcoins or your actual bank account.

With an actual bank account at least you have recourse. No excuse for using SMS 2FA, though, complain to your bank if they can't do better.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nephzinho posted:

... I already have a kill team of space marines on my bookshelf that has moved with me over the years separate from this newly discovered horde.

I reserve judgement on this statement until you reveal which chapter :monocle:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ralith posted:

With an actual bank account at least you have recourse. No excuse for using SMS 2FA, though, complain to your bank if they can't do better.

I'm safe, my bank doesn't have any kind of 2FA :shepface:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ralith posted:

It's true but you're still dealing with the process of filing the police report and contacting the bank and getting poo poo squared away (which will absolutely not happen in a timely fashion). As for SMS 2FA: lmao. All of my experience with banks has been that they require 2FA to go through SMS, but at least on all of them you can change it to a google voice number.

Thankfully, when you look at the list of investment companies, many of those support hardware and software tokens.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hoodwinker posted:

Thankfully, when you look at the list of investment companies, many of those support hardware and software tokens.
Vanguard supports U2F tokens but refuses to let you use them with any browser but Chrome and requires a SMS fallback :(

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ralith posted:

Vanguard supports U2F tokens but refuses to let you use them with any browser but Chrome and requires a SMS fallback :(
You can set the SMS to a google voice number. If you're at all concerned about cyber security, I highly, highly, highly recommend setting up a google voice number and using it as your recovery number for everything you can. This completely eliminates the possibility of a direct SIM swap attack to that account.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I bought Forgeworld resin models a month before plastic ones for the same thing were released. That was a great feeling.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Phil?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

I reserve judgement on this statement until you reveal which chapter :monocle:

Fists. Mostly because I found an easy way to prime yellow and sepia wash.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

You can set the SMS to a google voice number. If you're at all concerned about cyber security, I highly, highly, highly recommend setting up a google voice number and using it as your recovery number for everything you can. This completely eliminates the possibility of a direct SIM swap attack to that account.

Why not a code generator app, or a hardware token? Honest question.

Related: been debating with myself if bank info should be in password manager. Is that yay or nay?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Furia posted:

Related: been debating with myself if bank info should be in password manager. Is that yay or nay?
Because quite frequently that isn't an option. So in the cases where it's not an option, you're extremely vulnerable to SIM swapping, and a virtual phone number is an easy method of mitigating that attack vector.

Everybody should be using a password manager. Is your bank info the same login name or password as anywhere else? That's bad. I use KeePass because it's offline and then have it backed up (the database itself is strongly encrypted) to a secondary location periodically.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

I put mine in one.

If you've got your email password in one, not much reason not to.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Furia posted:

He's saying for when they only offer SMS.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Google Voice doesn’t work with some banks for SMS auth. I think Ally might have this issue? Most times they’ll have an alternative to send you a code via email.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Alright all that checks out. Just checking because I’m using lastpass (which I’ve been thinking about changing. Keepass might be a shout if it has cross-device sync) and had my bank passwords in there and I was wondering if that was a step too far (I also use code based 2FA for everything that will take it). Thanks all

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hoodwinker posted:

Everybody should be using a password manager. Is your bank info the same login name or password as anywhere else? That's bad. I use KeePass because it's offline and then have it backed up (the database itself is strongly encrypted) to a secondary location periodically.

Does a small notepad I keep locked in a cabinet in my goon lair count? If someone has access to that, a number of safeguards have already been defeated and people having access to my accounts would be the least of my concerns. :corsair:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BloodBag posted:

Does a small notepad I keep locked in a cabinet in my goon lair count? If someone has access to that, a number of safeguards have already been defeated and people having access to my accounts would be the least of my concerns. :corsair:

no one will ever find the emperor's secrets once grover tomb collapses

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Furia posted:

Alright all that checks out. Just checking because I’m using lastpass (which I’ve been thinking about changing. Keepass might be a shout if it has cross-device sync) [...]

It doesn't, but you can put the password database and/or a portable version of keepass in dropbox and that works fine. The database should work on everything that dropbox and keepass will also work on. You can even put the database in dropbox but then manually put a keyfile (used to unlock along with the password) on each device or computer you want to use it on, for added security, so your passwords get synced but nobody who gets into your dropbox can get into them without that file and a password.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Technology is terrible is stupid

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

It doesn't, but you can put the password database and/or a portable version of keepass in dropbox and that works fine. The database should work on everything that dropbox and keepass will also work on. You can even put the database in dropbox but then manually put a keyfile (used to unlock along with the password) on each device or computer you want to use it on, for added security, so your passwords get synced but nobody who gets into your dropbox can get into them without that file and a password.

Would that work for onedrive and an ios device?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BloodBag posted:

One of the great conveniences about something like KeePass is that it makes it easy to generate, store, copy, and paste long-rear end chains of gibberish for passwords into your browser so you can have highly random passwords that are quickly updatable. Using a physical medium has the problem of meaning you're likely to not change your passwords often and when you do it will always be something you have to type in yourself. I don't even know what most of my passwords are because I can generate a new 32 character password full of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols instantly. Realistically, nobody is going to get your passwords by hacking your computer, it's the fact that you use the same kind of password and the same username across all of your accounts, so when somebody compromises Joe's poo poo Shack's website, that account you made from years ago tells them a ton of information about how to track you down. Using a password manager makes it brainless to use different usernames (including gibberish ones that don't connect to you at all) with unique passwords for each login, decreasing the surface area of information a compromised account produces.

Furia posted:

Would that work for onedrive and an ios device?
Yeah, the database itself is just a normal file, so anything that lets you back up files (like, say, if you kept pictures or work documents synced) will work.

brugroffil posted:

Technology is terrible is stupid
Agreed. This has been a productive derail but if you want to know more you should PM me rather than gumming up the thread. Hopefully anybody reading this stuff has been galvanized to secure their information better.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 23, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Alan Smithee posted:

no one will ever find the emperor's secrets once grover tomb collapses

Here lies Grover, he died as he lived, with warm feet upon his stairs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I thought the latest thoughts on best practices for passwords were longer phrases rather than random gibberish?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

brugroffil posted:

I thought the latest thoughts on best practices for passwords were longer phrases rather than random gibberish?

Better yet is to use well designed semi-random gibberish, unique to each site, and keep them recorded in a file locked with a longer phrase you can actually remember.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

brugroffil posted:

Most sites won’t allow you to create long phrases without numbers and punctuation.

And the advantage of that kind of password is that they’re longer while still being memorable; if you use a password manager you can make infinite long complex passwords without needing to remember any.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Hoodwinker, you are a saint. Thanks for all your help.

brugroffil posted:

The idea of long (somewhat random) phrases is that:

1-It makes the passwords longer than you would otherwise make them, thereby making them difficult to crack or guess

2-Are easier to remember than dumb (typically standard) substitutions (0 for O, 3 for E etc)

3-It removes the need for the (typically standard) use of punctuation (adding ! at the end of the password you were going to use anyways, for instance)

None of which matters if you have a password manager which can store passwords up to 264 digits of length with more character possibilities and which is protected by a single, extremely strong password (something you know) and 2FA of some variety (something you are or have)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m really sorry I posted that bitcoin tweet.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

zelah posted:

I’m really sorry I posted that bitcoin tweet.
That'll teach you a valuable lesson in... I'm not sure, actually.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

brugroffil posted:

Depends on what you're after. If you want to remember something, then yes use a long phrase of 30+ letters and you'll be fine, especially if you randomly substitute letters for characters/numbers/whatever.

If you have a password manager and don't NEED to remember anything but the master password, than an equally long set of random gibberish is technically better.

Your e-mail should be your strongest password since nearly every password you have can be reset via your e-mail. On top of this, best practice is to have a different password for every single login.

Honestly that last part is the most critical. Nobody "cracks" individual passwords anymore, at least not on sites that have complex requirements (replacing the "o" with a zero in "password" and adding an exclamation point at the end isn't secure). People steal unsecured password databases (or they take secured databases and they crack the encryption offline) and then use those credentials to log in to other sites. No amount of complex passwords will help you there, but using different passwords everywhere will limit their access to your stuff. So if for example your KickStarter password was stolen a few years ago in their breach, the hackers will take those credentials and plug them in to other sites to see where they can get in.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I just noticed the :hampants: troll flair!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Yes, a troll

:ninja:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

DaveSauce posted:

People steal unsecured password databases (or they take secured databases and they crack the encryption offline) and then use those credentials to log in to other sites. No amount of complex passwords will help you there
Complex passwords can easily be impossible to extract from a leaked but otherwise well-secured database, while simpler ones might still be found by brute force.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
If I had to guess even if you steal a secured database if you have some way of working out how the secured passwords are being stored all you need to check is standard stuff like qwerty or L37M31n and you’d be in business for at least a couple accounts

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Furia posted:

If I had to guess even if you steal a secured database if you have some way of working out how the secured passwords are being stored all you need to check is standard stuff like qwerty or L37M31n and you’d be in business for at least a couple accounts
Each password should be individually salted, so cracking one does not crack the others.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sounds delicious

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Simpsons Reference posted:

Sounds delicious
It is, especially with a side of hash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

Each password should be individually salted, so cracking one does not crack the others.

Should be, but in my experience the entirety of the internet is held together by rust and bird poo poo, so whether or not your info is stored securely is 100% a crapshoot. Nobody has seen meaningful legal punishment for leaking data, so there’s not much incentive for security.

BWM: trusting businesses on the internet