Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Almost Blue posted:

I'm baffled by the idea that anyone thinks the 70s had a "sense of innocence" which is missing now. Like, I'm pretty sure the original Star Wars did, but it was considered an aberration at the time.

It's also weird that the people who make these movies now are afraid of it turning into Flash Gordon.

The corniness and sincerity are important parts of the brand, but people keep threating them as something to be fixed.

Almost Blue posted:

e: "the new movies aren’t like that. They’re not nostalgic. They don’t long for the past"

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

That doesn't work, though, because Luke had way different hair and beard length during the burning of the Jedi Academy. This is old man Luke.

I mean, I kinda thought in the trailer that yeah, he was attacking the Knights of Ren. He apparently turns against them at some point, or they turn against him.

Guess not

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Is the lightsaber rainstorm thing happening on the roof of the falcon?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Or Disney saw they had a spoiler in the article because someone on set was too loose lipped and jumped on them, making them issue a correction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

feedmyleg posted:

It's almost as if they should have started them at the actual inciting incident!

I can't imagine these films wouldn't feel more cohesive if the exact same set of events had occurred, but the first film was about Luke and Ben's falling out, the second one was about Luke having hidden away and Rey's quest to find him, and the third one was about Luke and/or his new apprentice facing down his greatest failure.
That sounds a lot better than what we got

Luke has the same failures that Obi-Wan did with his apprentice, and I wish they had even brought that up or something in the two prior films. It’s just jarring for me when they go from Luke in Jedi to a totally defeated Luke in TLJ. I just wish we had more in between there besides some short flashbacks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yoda did bring up that being a Jedi Master was all about failing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Yoda having a very meta moment of “We had not landed on exactly how we might do that, but yes, it was always..."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think the maximum stupidity here would be if Luke seems to be old Luke but not a force ghost in these images is not because it's a flashback but.......because Luke didn't actually die, like they show where he keeled over at the end of TLJ and he just wakes up from having passed out or whatever, Rise of the Skywalker.

But also, IIRC didn't they kinda sorta almost get to the point of filming Luke like fighting the Knights of Ren or something for TLJ but this got scrapped as stuff with the story changed? There's probably an infinite amount of unused/filler/etc. test shots and stuff of Luke/etc. from the past two movies we'll be seeing as promotional stuff.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Trump posted:

Lmao. I on the other hand, gaureentee he didn't.

He however, earn(ed) a shitton on residuals.

quote:

Mark Hamill had the foresight to sign onto the film in exchange for one-fourth of one percent of the film’s future earnings.
https://www.gobankingrates.com/net-worth/celebrities/star-wars-force-awakens-cast-net-worth/

:confused: :confused:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

pospysyl posted:

Did Luke ever find out that C3PO was his and Leia's brother?

TLJ establishes that he's watched the Prequels, so yes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Its been two years we should all know that Trump is loving stupid at this point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

But also, IIRC didn't they kinda sorta almost get to the point of filming Luke like fighting the Knights of Ren or something for TLJ but this got scrapped as stuff with the story changed?

If you treat every rumor as fact, sure. But this never passed the rumor stage of the early days of TLJ speculation.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 23, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It's almost as if they should have started them at the actual inciting incident!

I can't imagine these films wouldn't feel more cohesive if the exact same set of events had occurred, but the first film was about Luke and Ben's falling out, the second one was about Luke having hidden away and Rey's quest to find him, and the third one was about Luke and/or his new apprentice facing down his greatest failure.

Almost as if it had followed the series previous structure and serial inspiration? Nah, doesnt subvert expectations

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Darko posted:

Yoda refuses to accept he's a total fuckup at everything, decides instead his failings are universal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Star Warsiors photos?. Heck yeah.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stunning lack of Paul Saltines in those new photos.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kerri Russel's BHer looks straight out of the prequels, I dig the blasters

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That shot with Chewie, Lando and Isaac is great. Seriously, the attitude oozes from the screen.

The shots with Fin however suggest to me that they're going to send him on an errand again. :( Fin is great guys, just let him play with the big guys.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t have a problem with the timeskip. I feel like they had no choice since TLJ ends with the entire Resistance force being wiped out and the survivors only on the Falcon.

I do have a problem with them bringing back Palpatine again. Why? They pretty much did Palpatine again but dumber with Snoke. None of the living characters have any connection with Palpatine whatsoever unless there is a retcon of some kind.

They'll just reveal that Palpatine is pulling an M Bison. He made Rey as his female clone.

Darko posted:

Jedi Master Kathleen Kennedy confirmed. :v:

quote:

[The Rise of Skywalker] felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, gently caress it, I’m going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.

This trilogy is about this young generation, this new generation, having to deal with all the debt that has come before. And it’s the sins of the father, and it’s the wisdom and the accomplishments of those who did great things, but it’s also those who committed atrocities, and the idea that this group is up against this unspeakable evil and are they prepared? Are they ready? What have they learned from before? It’s less about grandeur. It’s less about restoring an old age. It’s more about preserving a sense of freedom and not being one of the oppressed.
What father? How is the new generation dealing with anything the old generation did? You mostly ignored ROTJ ever happened! :psyduck:

None of this fills me with hope.

quote:

“On the other hand, though, I think that Disney is very respectful of what this is, and right from the beginning we talked about the fragility of this form of storytelling. Because it’s something that means so much to fans that you can’t turn this into some kind of factory approach. You can’t even do what Marvel does, necessarily, where you pick characters and build new franchises around those characters. This needs to evolve differently.”
Why not? You can literally file the serial numbers of the first Guardians of the Galaxy and pretend it's in the Starwars galaxy. The infinity gem was just some failed Sith experiment on a kyber crystal. Done.
Just introduce some new and interesting characters and allow them to grow and develop and keep in the mysterie. Don't explain where someone's name came from. :smith:

quote:

We know things, as a people and as an audience, that we didn’t know back then. For example: back then it felt sort of O.K. to like Darth Vader, because even though he was evil he was also incredibly cool, and the kind of fascism he represented felt like a bogeyman from the distant past. But now fascism is rising again, which makes the whole First Order subplot look super-prescient, but it also reminds us that fascism is not even slightly cool in real life. “Evil needs to feel and look very real,” Kennedy says, “and what that means today may not be as black-and-white as it might have been in 1977, coming off a kind of World War II sensibility.”
"Which is why we're introducing new ways to make Darth Vader more sympathetic." :v:

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 23, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I like how that entire vanity Fair article only mentions rose twice, both in past tense from TLJ

And her love interest replacement is another non-white person except this time a primitive using a bow and arrow. What if sexy Chewbacca but less developed , as a new character, I guess

Who gives a poo poo rose is a garbage noncharacter

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She had more character development in TLJ than Rey did

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh right. "Heres my magic necklace" and "I love finn for *reasons*" amazing character development

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"The only way we're going to win is if we let all our friends die."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rose "Actually child slavery is fine with me" Nobodyknowsmylastname

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Oh right. "Heres my magic necklace" and "I love finn for *reasons*" amazing character development
I didn’t say it was great but she’s at least a character

I can’t really tell you anything about Rey other than she is an orphan that used to be a scrapper.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rey literally states her motivation.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

What father? How is the new generation dealing with anything the old generation did? You mostly ignored ROTJ ever happened! :psyduck:

None of this fills me with hope.

i can kinda see what's being getting at here. one of the pretty consistent throughlines of TLJ is intergenerational conflict among people who are supposed to be allies. luke and rey, luke and ben, snoke and ben, holdo and poe, all these relationships have someone keeping critical information from the other and things go badly as a result of it. rey and ben in particular constantly have it reiterated to them that the other one is the enemy and must be destroyed but once they're given the opportunity to just like, talk to each other without being able to ruin it by resorting to violence they end up having a connection and find ways to relate to each other. it all feels very UC gundam, just with force skype substituting for newtype connections

of course once the throne fight scene is over you can practically feel the movie forcibly shove itself away from any kind of nuance described above and go back to 'blue lightsaber good, red lightsaber evil'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

of course once the throne fight scene is over you can practically feel the movie forcibly shove itself away from any kind of nuance described above and go back to 'blue lightsaber good, red lightsaber evil'
I thought the movie was alright until that scene and then everything really starts to come apart. I’m not sure if Johnson wanted to do more there with either having Ben go down a path of redemption or Rey going evil. I feel like there’s no way Disney would have let them do the latter but I thought they were moving towards the former until the end of the throne fight.

To me the themes of the movie don’t really work if you have a bunch of characters saying that we need to let the past die/we need to move on, but then the back part of the film just makes everything a straight good vs evil conflict.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rey literally states her motivation.

This thread is full of the worst of the worst star wars fans. Just like mos eisley.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rose is a good character that fits extremely well within the narrative and thematics that Rian Johnson crafted. Thank you and I will show myself out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel Rose is a good character in an unintentional way, insofar as her pablum perfectly reflects the essential hollowness of the resistance in the context of the films and disney wars in the context of reality

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just haven’t been that impressed with any of the new characters that much. Feels like they just check some character boxes and not much else.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel Rose is a good character in an unintentional way, insofar as her pablum perfectly reflects the essential hollowness of the resistance in the context of the films and disney wars in the context of reality

the resistance is inherently contradictory in that anyone that hopelessly liberal would just be posting about it, not fighting

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The biggest problem with the ST is that Abrams and Johnson and everyone else involved at that level is a basic bitch, like the type of people who would wonder why LOTR included an appendix when it's already so long.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Preston Waters posted:

This thread is full of the worst of the worst star wars fans. Just like mos eisley.

What Star Wars fans live in MOs eisley?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Johnson had a shot but lol if you think he was going to be able to crush it with Disney breathing down his neck. That's why the crap like Hoth part II happened

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gonna scheme for 60 years to rule an entire galaxy of rocky desert wasteland shitholes and Hoth.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Neo Rasa posted:

Gonna scheme for 60 years to rule an entire galaxy of rocky desert wasteland shitholes and Hoth.

Meh, compared to our galaxy it's a cornucopia.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Yea this is unfortunately how habitable planets will likely be throughout the universe, unfortunately. There have been multiple planets like Earth in the SW films though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SMG/Jivjov wars notwithstanding (RIP) I guess coruscant's still around, a basically modern society with trillions of people presumably :hmbol: at the clusterfuck in the surrounding space wild west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Still makes me lol that they didn’t actually have the balls to officially destroy Coruscant