Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're on the cheap an x7d, x-lite if you like thumbs, T16 if you want a baller screen (do buy a folded dipole external antenna). There's loads of choices. flysky has v deece budget controllers but not as programmable. You really want something with OpenTX that can run LUA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have one of the HD brushless woops? betafpv 85x hd, iflight cinebee, mobula 7 hd? Im leanin toward the iflight (only thing comparable I have is the tinyhawk) since the props aren't in view and it can be preconfigured with a crossfire rx

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 25, 2019

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

moron izzard posted:

Anyone have one of the HD brushless woops? betafpv 85x hd, iflight cinebee, mobula 7 hd? Im leanin toward the iflight (only thing comparable I have is the tinyhawk)

Everything I've read about the HD whoops is that they fly like bricks, and you might as well just get a 2.5-3" quad with the HD split cam to get real performance. I have a non-HD mobula7, and it's amazing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'd forgotten about that extra set of low hanging wires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y798FTce1E0

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'd forgotten about that extra set of low hanging wires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y798FTce1E0
Where's the end of the video! Did it all work out or was your model sliced neatly in half down the middle? poo poo really comes out of nowhere on the FPV camera. My kryptonite is tree branches that go from not being seen to "this is so big you'll never get around" it in a fraction of a second. You had no chance with that wire.

Does anyone here have a Section 107 exemption for FPV flying? I fly around the small park in my neighborhood and was hoping to venture out a little further to explore out of LOS. I'm wondering if it is something legally doable without costing thousands of dollars in licensing and registration fees to the FAA and FCC. Are all the long-range equipment you can buy from any online retailer purchased by felons? I already fly my park sometimes without a separate observer so I guess that's me too, but I prefer to follow the laws.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CapnBry posted:

Where's the end of the video! Did it all work out or was your model sliced neatly in half down the middle? poo poo really comes out of nowhere on the FPV camera.

Heh, even on the HD feed you only pick it up at the last second. Broke a servo horn on one of the ailerons and cracked the lens protector. Flew fine, albeit rather sluggish in roll, so landed it as I wasn't quite sure of the extend of the damage.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

So, some of you may remember something called fpv.blue, which was a low-latency HD FPV system that was being developed some time back.

Quick backstory: the guy released a small batch of 1.3GHz systems last year, which all had HDMI problems that couldn't be fixed via firmware updates. Other minor issues that could have been fixed in firmware, he chose to leave them un-fixed. (The HDMI issue was disclosed, and people knew what they were buying, but still). This has led to a small amount of very pissed, very vocal customers.

So the guy decided to redesign the entire system around 2.4GHz, the idea being that it's a worldwide legal frequency. He's reopened his old thread on RCG to sell pre-orders for the new system, and is in the middle of having one of the craziest meltdowns I've ever seen a business owner have on the internet. (Meltdown starts at the top of page 225 and is onto 226 at this time).

This is a young guy, in his 20s as far as I know... how can you grow up in the age of the internet and be this bad at it?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I got that UMX Mig-15, the batteries I have are on the high side of the recommended, and the CG seems to be further forward than stated optimal. The elevator doesn't have a lot of throw and I am hesitant to fly it without adding some ballast to the tail. For foamies, belly landing, do you guys have any recommendations for material/method? I can handle quick and dirty, but if I'm adding weight, curious if there is a multi purpose solution.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

This is a young guy, in his 20s as far as I know... how can you grow up in the age of the internet and be this bad at it?
There are some really special people on RCG, that require a really thick skin to deal with them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

There's a lot of history between the posters, but yeah, he should just drop it. I'll see what state my finances are in when I get back from vacation and will probably put in a pre-order.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://apne.ws/8yZsk75

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Holy poo poo I know that dude. I gave him a tiny whoop charger

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQ1wfm_P20

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Are any of you nerds going to Nall? I値l be there tomorrow afternoon allah willing

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They'll be announcing the implementation of airspace authorizations for hobbyists in the US on friday. No word yet on if the appropriate site / app will be available by then (kittyhawk has been working on a new version of b4ufly, but since they kinda just neutered their own app to try and get people to pay for enterprise, I'm wary on that timeline)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was telling a friend about AliExpress and now she wants to buy a cheap drone there. I realize this thread is about more serious drones but are there any that are cool and fun under $100?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Photo platform? FPV? Normal radio controlled line-of-sight? $100 including transmitter?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tiny hawk is probably good semi reliable starter

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Snowy posted:

I was telling a friend about AliExpress and now she wants to buy a cheap drone there. I realize this thread is about more serious drones but are there any that are cool and fun under $100?

I got my start last year on Tiny Whoops, which are itty bitty little drones (65mm diagonal from motor to motor) that use the cheapest of cheap brushed motors. They are extremely durable, and easy to build/repair (especially BetaFPV parts, which are designed to stack with headers, ,so less soldering). They fly just about anywhere, but light wind will knock them around, so best fly indoors.

The drone itself is generally about $50. However, you still need a transmitter and fpv goggles which will run up the cost (but you can reuse them across your fleet as you inevitably buy more drones).

FrSky X Lite transmitter and FXT Viper 2 goggles is where the bulk of my costs went, but both are solid, and the goggles don't need lenses and bullshit to play with glasses.

From there, you can upgrade the motors as they wear out, and once you get a feel for things, give brushless a shot.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 25, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you very much for the recommendations I知 going to pass that along for the Tiny whoops and hawk. Now I知 tempted too after looking at those. We work sometimes in a huge space that would be so good for flying something like that.

These were the ones she was looking at, do they seem like bad decisions compared to the whoops or hawk? I知 guessing yes because these were fairly random picks based on camera mostly and follow/auto return

https://www.wish.com/product/5c36a2d0f7483c53b60a31ad

https://www.wish.com/product/5cd539a3004c5b750a98dc1e

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Snowy posted:

Thank you very much for the recommendations I知 going to pass that along for the Tiny whoops and hawk. Now I知 tempted too after looking at those. We work sometimes in a huge space that would be so good for flying something like that.

These were the ones she was looking at, do they seem like bad decisions compared to the whoops or hawk? I知 guessing yes because these were fairly random picks based on camera mostly and follow/auto return

https://www.wish.com/product/5c36a2d0f7483c53b60a31ad

https://www.wish.com/product/5cd539a3004c5b750a98dc1e

For ~$100 these will almost certainly neither follow or return. Tinyhawk RTF bundle is great for the price ($165ish), my friend recently bought his young teen daughter one of these, and it's pretty fantastic: https://shop.makerfire.com/products/makerfire-armor-65-lite-rtf

e:

Getting in on the new ultralight micro craze, 63g flying weight with a 300mah 2s battery.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 25, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Those are DJI wannabe's that will disapoint you.

Hot

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xsf421 posted:

e:

Getting in on the new ultralight micro craze, 63g flying weight with a 300mah 2s battery.

Which model is this?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Snowy posted:

Which model is this?

Kabob toothpick frame, geprc 12a all in one board, some random all in one camera/vtx i had laying around, and the pyrodrone 1103 ~12,000kv motors.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Fair warning: My wife bought me the Mavic clone off of Wish and it drifts backwards if you aren稚 actively adjusting the pitch. It also only syncs up with the included controller the first tome I used it and never again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You have to decide if you want an acrobatic thing you can flip around parks, or a platform you can hover around and follow your friends with at the beach. Once you're more familiar with the technology you can get a quad that does both but as a beginner you're probably going to want to stick with an Ready To Fly kit like theTinyhawk:

$165 gets you a little toy class drone, a beginner controller, and a set of goggles to see what the drone sees. This sort of setup doesn't link with a cellphone, the thing just sends out a 5.8ghz video signal like a TV station and the goggles are tuned to 5.8ghz and can receive the video. Simple as that. There are multiple channels so you can fly with friends and just tune in their video while you aren't flying
https://www.getfpv.com/emax-tinyhawk-micro-brushless-fpv-drone-rtf-bundle.html

Or if you want a thing that will follow your friends on the beach, some sort of DJI product. Actually spend the money here, since DJI stuff can always re sell on kijiji or craigslist. Spend $150 on a aliexpress knockoff and you're just getting a plastic shell that looked like the thing from best buy but doesnt do any of the things it promises on the box. These are the sorts of drone you plug your cellphone into the controller and use an app to control it. There are goggles you can buy for these setups but usually its a dude staring at the screen on his controller.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dji-spark-quadcopter-drone-with-camera-controller-white/12917229

Honestly a DJI Spark is probably less acrobatic than the $165 Tinyhawk toy drone I listed first and the video probably won't be super amazing, but since you bought it from an actual store you can always return it and upgrade to the Mavic Air.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dji-mavic-air-quadcopter-drone-with-camera-onyx-black/12318800

Which WILL do pretty much everything you ever dreamed of, and you wont be fighting the software any step of the way (unless you live near airports)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Fair warning: My wife bought me the Mavic clone off of Wish and it drifts backwards if you aren稚 actively adjusting the pitch. It also only syncs up with the included controller the first tome I used it and never again.
The banggood experience never fails

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

You have to decide if you want an acrobatic thing you can flip around parks, or a platform you can hover around and follow your friends with at the beach. Once you're more familiar with the technology you can get a quad that does both but as a beginner you're probably going to want to stick with an Ready To Fly kit like theTinyhawk:

$165 gets you a little toy class drone, a beginner controller, and a set of goggles to see what the drone sees. This sort of setup doesn't link with a cellphone, the thing just sends out a 5.8ghz video signal like a TV station and the goggles are tuned to 5.8ghz and can receive the video. Simple as that. There are multiple channels so you can fly with friends and just tune in their video while you aren't flying
https://www.getfpv.com/emax-tinyhawk-micro-brushless-fpv-drone-rtf-bundle.html

Or if you want a thing that will follow your friends on the beach, some sort of DJI product. Actually spend the money here, since DJI stuff can always re sell on kijiji or craigslist. Spend $150 on a aliexpress knockoff and you're just getting a plastic shell that looked like the thing from best buy but doesnt do any of the things it promises on the box. These are the sorts of drone you plug your cellphone into the controller and use an app to control it. There are goggles you can buy for these setups but usually its a dude staring at the screen on his controller.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dji-spark-quadcopter-drone-with-camera-controller-white/12917229

Honestly a DJI Spark is probably less acrobatic than the $165 Tinyhawk toy drone I listed first and the video probably won't be super amazing, but since you bought it from an actual store you can always return it and upgrade to the Mavic Air.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dji-mavic-air-quadcopter-drone-with-camera-onyx-black/12318800

Which WILL do pretty much everything you ever dreamed of, and you wont be fighting the software any step of the way (unless you live near airports)

Also, if your friend likes to tinker, any DJI or toy knockoff is not terribly tinker friendly. A ready to fly tiny hawk, tiny whoop, and especially BetaFPV drones are tinker friendly.

Additionally, getting something that uses FrSky or Spektrum transmitters/receivers, which are both longstanding communications protocols for rc aerial hardware in general, reduces the cost of future dabbling since they're so widespread in the hobby scene already.

Basically, you should consider what kind of flying your friend wants to do, and how much they like soldering and screwdrivers.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Additionally, getting something that uses FrSky or Spektrum transmitters/receivers, which are both longstanding communications protocols for rc aerial hardware in general, reduces the cost of future dabbling since they're so widespread in the hobby scene already.
For budget transmitters, FlySky FS-i6 for $40 (no receiver) can't be beat. The mixer is limited to two mixes, but you won't run into that on a drone since the TX only needs to send straight signals and let the flight controller do the mixing. Micro receivers are like $12 too. 80% of my models still have FlySky protocol receivers in them and I've gotten range with tons of trees in the way up to 1km which is plenty for a small drone. I know some people have gotten 20km in a clear LOS too. It can also have its software updated to do 10 channels if 6 isn't enough.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Buy a tinyhawk its fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm at the point where I wouldn't recommend a Frsky radio if it's not an x9d or xlite.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm at the point where I wouldn't recommend a Frsky radio if it's not an x9d or xlite.

Is there an issue with the qx7 other than the crossfire mod?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moron izzard posted:

I've owned a QX7 for a little over a year now, haven't had any issues other than the CRSF mod. I recently bought a Jumper T12 because I wanted a more compact setup and it seems pretty comparable. No need for the mod though. I haven't really put it through its paces yet but the setup was easy. I backed up a model from the QX7 to the SD card, and restored it to the T12. Crossfire responded right away in Betaflight and all the switches and channels are identical, so it was a completely hassle free switch. I imagine this is because the bind itself is set in the module and the model data is just mapping the channels.

T16 looked neat but its about the same size as an X9 and I have no need for a color radio screen. Looks like a battery killer. It'll be the same though, no CRSF mod necessary

EDIT: here it is in some sorta makeup bag I found at a drugstore, awesome fit

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 27, 2019

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

moron izzard posted:

Maybe he's referring to FrSky's shittiness as a company as of late. Between the X-Lite Pro, X9 Lite, and the anticompetitive and hypocritical moves against Jumper, FrSky seems to be doing everything they can to piss off their customer base. All they had to do was maintain course and keep selling well established products people know and trust, but they're choosing to act more like Apple or Tesla by trying to close off their ecosystem, limiting consumer choice, and threatening anyone who offers a better way.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm aware of all that (though he still recommended 2 of frsky's products).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

moron izzard posted:

Yeah those are fine like wine. I have an x10 and love it (after nuking the faceplate switches a la steele) Frsky have just been so horrible between the TBS stuff and the Jumper stuff.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do you think this (4000kv version) would handle a 4025 or 4040ish prop on 2s? I'm workin on a thing. https://www.emaxmodel.com/rs1306-version-2-brushless-racing-motor.html

Also - does anyone know of a 4" that will fit these? or am I going to have to modify the hub. The bnf version of this micro plane I bought the kit for had an 1105 5500kv motor spinning their own 3.8" prop on 2s. This motor was within a few grams

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 30, 2019

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That mount has a 3.8" (2 blade)? Link please.

I had flying wing with an emax 1106 6000kv on 3 blade 3045, 2s, no problem. Stat sheet/general recommendation was stopping at 2 blade 3020.

E: pitch might not be quite accurate in the above. I think you'd get plenty thrust on whatever you can mount on the 1306

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 30, 2019

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://ldarc.com/en/pd.jsp?id=310#_pp=0_321_400_-1

they are available under that flying wing's product page on aliexpress. They apparently shipped today. I had bought the wing as a kit from banggood since they were selling 2 for $35. wanted to see how small of an ardupilot capable wing I could build. omnibus f4 nano, 7a blheli32 ESC (turnigy, which im pretty sure are rebadging of the racerstar tattoo series), that motor, among other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I saw that frame listed on banggood but couldn't find the props. Thanks. Yeah, my wing was crappy scratch built that weighed significantly more and still flew well. I have a 200g limit to work with and am trying to find a good balance of thrust, efficiency, and weight. Let me know how that motor works for you.