Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Didn't someone get gifted (dead) shards and become a lighteyes, and then have his eyes turn dark again when he gave away the blade? Or did I make that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Infinite Karma posted:

Didn't someone get gifted (dead) shards and become a lighteyes, and then have his eyes turn dark again when he gave away the blade? Or did I make that up?

That was OB Moash. And it did happen the way you described.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Leng posted:

That was OB Moash. And it did happen the way you described.
I thought it was him but wasn't sure, since he's had such a rollercoaster ride.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like that he's literally just Kelsier but seen from the corrupt nobles' POV

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Kaladin's eyes turn back to dark when he runs out of Stormlight. It is either said outright or implied that once you have been bonded to a dead shardblade for long enough that the lightening is permanent.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's kind of interesting that sanderson considered that his magic driven class system would also be affected by "random mutation." I feel like in a lot of stories the magical caste system would just always follow magic rules.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pile of brown posted:

It's kind of interesting that sanderson considered that his magic driven class system would also be affected by "random mutation." I feel like in a lot of stories the magical caste system would just always follow magic rules.

Genetics still exist. It's just like in Wheel of Time, the seanchan use length and position of hair to indicate social status. Bald people wear hats, instead of pretending that no one ever goes bald.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fezz posted:

Kaladin's eyes turn back to dark when he runs out of Stormlight. It is either said outright or implied that once you have been bonded to a dead shardblade for long enough that the lightening is permanent.

Right. Bonding a live spren is probably more akin to a partnership, while a dead blade spren is more like grafting it onto yourself, which makes the change more dramatic/permanent. Something-something-spiritweb.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Dang, no posts for 2 weeks? I almost thought the thread got closed or something.

Just finished Skyward finally. I enjoyed it; it was certainly young adult-ish, but I had faith that he wouldn't let it get out of hand, and my faith was rewarded. I found the characters deep enough (again given the target audience) most of the time and, as someone without ovaries but with two younger sisters, Spensa felt pretty well written for a teenage girl with her particular personality & background.

Slug spoilers: I am on team "the slug that seems to move without moving obviously goes in the empty hyperdrive box, or at least we're supposed to think so", though I also don't get why that's even required given Spensa's bloodline is capable of being human hyperdrives. Cytonic meaning hyperdrives for pilots who don't have hyperspace genes? Also, that whole SPACE GENETICS thing makes me think of Newtypes from Gundam.

If-you've-also-read-the-most-recent-Expanse-books-and-if-not-why-not thematic rumination spoilers: I find it really interesting that both works ended up with a similar feeling "you can move faster than light via another dimension BUUUUUT that other dimension is home to extremely hostile beings that will probably eventually gently caress your poo poo up" situation.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
That kind of travel where you move into another dimension but that dimension is extremely dangerous is something that shows up a lot. The Malazan series had it and hell, even Stormlight has it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Daric posted:

(Might want to spoiler? If someone hasn't read Skyward it might still be an annoying hint, idk :shrug:) That kind of travel where you move into another dimension but that dimension is extremely dangerous is something that shows up a lot. The Malazan series had it and hell, even Stormlight has it.
Fair point, WoT has it too in the form of the Ways. Stood out to me more given it's scifi, maybe? I'm sure there's other examples out there even within scifi too, but none spring to my mind immediately; most of the time it's just the science handwaving to allow FTL.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bitprophet posted:

Fair point, WoT has it too in the form of the Ways. Stood out to me more given it's scifi, maybe? I'm sure there's other examples out there even within scifi too, but none spring to my mind immediately; most of the time it's just the science handwaving to allow FTL.

I mean the Warp in 40k?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Daric posted:

That kind of travel where you move into another dimension but that dimension is extremely dangerous is something that shows up a lot. The Malazan series had it and hell, even Stormlight has it.

If you accept "each attempt at travel has a nonzero chance of death" Dune had it too, and that Kevin Sorbo vehicle Andromeda had it as well I think. It's a pretty common mechanism to explain why people aren't just teleporting for every dang trip, no matter how short.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Arrath posted:

I mean the Warp in 40k?
Only passingly familiar with the 40K universe, so didn't know about this! Neato.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Game of Thrones finale minor spoiler I guess: I thought having a book titled 'A Song of Ice and Fire' in the show felt shoe-horned in, did not like it at all - despite loving that each book in Stormlight is named after an in-world book - what did you goons think of that? (Don't want to derail the thread into discussing the show too much, but it seemed relevant)

On a related note, it's been too long since I read Stormlight and I can't recall: Do we know who wrote Words of Radiance? Also what were they hoping was inside that book for that matter? Once I finish Wheel of Time I think I need to re-read Stormlight.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Lord of the Rings did it too, it didn't bug me too much

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

Game of Thrones finale minor spoiler I guess: I thought having a book titled 'A Song of Ice and Fire' in the show felt shoe-horned in, did not like it at all - despite loving that each book in Stormlight is named after an in-world book - what did you goons think of that? (Don't want to derail the thread into discussing the show too much, but it seemed relevant)

On a related note, it's been too long since I read Stormlight and I can't recall: Do we know who wrote Words of Radiance? Also what were they hoping was inside that book for that matter? Once I finish Wheel of Time I think I need to re-read Stormlight.

I haven't watched a single GoT episode, and only finished the first ASOIAF book before abandoning the series, so I can't speak about the incident you mention. But in Stormlight Archive, the in-world writings the books are named after are important plot points for each of them, so it doesn't feel cheap. Dalinar's character change was clearly heavily impacted by the teaching of The Way of Kings, which led to a host of conflicts with both his family, and the wider Alethi society at large. Shallan searched for Way of Radiance, which describes the different orders of the Knights Radiants in some detail, right as the orders get refounded in WoR. And of course, both Oathbringers were all about Dalinar. It's an established pattern that just works, imho. Especially since his other books, whether they are Cosmere works or not, don't follow the same pattern.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I had been putting off Stormlight for a long time but now here I am halfway through Words of Radiance and I'm so mad at a certain character right now, holy poo poo

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Fenrir posted:

I had been putting off Stormlight for a long time but now here I am halfway through Words of Radiance and I'm so mad at a certain character right now, holy poo poo

Is it the one suffering from crippling depression?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Subvisual Haze posted:

Is it the one suffering from crippling depression?
Wait aren't there two of those? Granted, one has a whole lot more screen time. But yes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

2/3 of the way through Towers of Midnight Perrin vs Slayer / Gawyn vs the Bloodnouns whose names I'm blanking on was pretty fuckin badass (RIP Hopper :'( )

I haven't been reading anything Sanderson since finishing The Reckoners a few weeks ago. Not sure what I want to pick up next? I think I'd prefer Cosmere. I've read everything Mistborn, Stormlight, Arcanum Unbounded, Warbreaker, Skyward, Reckoners... I think that's it? Any suggestions on what to jump into next?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 28, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's not a lot of Cosmere left. I think there are only Elantris, the White Sand comics, Sixth of the Dusk, and Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell? I believe everything else that you didn't list was in Arcanum Unbounded. I have no knowledge about his non-Cosmere works, so I don't know which of these you are still missing, or if Skyward and Reckoners were all his non-Cosmere books/series.

By the way, those XXXnouns were Bloodknives

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, right, I did read Elantris. Sixth & Silence were both in AU (and I'd LOVE more from the Sixth of Dusk world). I guess I'll have to finally check out White Sands :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Sab669 posted:

Oh, right, I did read Elantris. Sixth & Silence were both in AU (and I'd LOVE more from the Sixth of Dusk world). I guess I'll have to finally check out White Sands :)

white sands comic... not so good :(

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Join the 17th Shard, they have permission to distribute the prose version of White Sand, which has some flaws and less polished writing, but still very readable.

If you sign up for the Sanderson newsletter, you can also get Aether of Night. The only thing that's still canon about that is the magic system, and again some things in the novel just don't work hence why it's unpublished, but still a fun read.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Sixth of Dusk was so good, I really want more from that world (and character). It was probably my favorite piece out of AU, short, but so well done. Of course it has a hard time competing with the giant info-dump that was Kelsier's trip into the cognitive realm, but it was definitely more exciting and well-written, IMO.

How much more is there to White Sands than what showed up in AU? All that was there was the basic intro to the world and following a characters journey through that series of trials.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Taffer posted:

Sixth of Dusk was so good, I really want more from that world (and character). It was probably my favorite piece out of AU, short, but so well done. Of course it has a hard time competing with the giant info-dump that was Kelsier's trip into the cognitive realm, but it was definitely more exciting and well-written, IMO.

Good news: https://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/brandon-begins-sixth-sequel/ Brandon has started writing a sequel on his plane rides.

quote:

How much more is there to White Sands than what showed up in AU? All that was there was the basic intro to the world and following a characters journey through that series of trials.
The plot starts and things sort of happen but not really. Going by the first two volumes, it's paced like his early writings (i.e. Elantris) then nothing happens until the last ten percent when everything happens.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Taffer posted:

It's like this. You know how Mistborn is "what if we did a heist movie but in a fantasy world"?

White Sand is "what if we did a save our school from being shut down movie but in a fantasy world"? It's got more to it than that, just like Mistborn, but the stakes are lower in a lot of ways. It's also got the peak-to-the-point-of-parody Sanderson climax of someone being really clever with a bit of magic in order to beat someone with brute strength in that magic.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

And it's not published as a written novel? I'm not really interested in graphic novels

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Taffer posted:

And it's not published as a written novel? I'm not really interested in graphic novels

not published, no. What's circulating is basically the first rewrite draft

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
The graphic novels follow the prose version pretty closely, including the exact dialogue. Some of the changes, like a gender switch for one of the viewpoint characters, don't really influence much of the plot. It's not really until the end of Volume 2 that there's a significant change to how events unfold Khriss showing up to demand entrance to the Diem as an acolyte does not happen in the prose version.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just got an e-mail from amazon, looks like the release date for Starsight (the 2nd Skyward book) is November 26.
Really looking forward to that, it's no Stormlight archive but at least it's some Sanderson to read.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

The graphic novels follow the prose version pretty closely, including the exact dialogue. Some of the changes, like a gender switch for one of the viewpoint characters, don't really influence much of the plot. It's not really until the end of Volume 2 that there's a significant change to how events unfold Khriss showing up to demand entrance to the Diem as an acolyte does not happen in the prose version.

The graphic novel also has some big mistakes, like dialog bubbles getting assigned to the wrong people, and the art is generally not great

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not super keen on any "officially unofficial" materials, so I might just go with the White Sands graphic novel. It's not my favorite medium, but I read/enjoyed Frank Miller's stuff in highschool. Although I suppose it'll be a pain to read on my phone so I guess I need to go find the dead-tree version.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 29, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

The graphic novel also has some big mistakes, like dialog bubbles getting assigned to the wrong people, and the art is generally not great

the funniest part to me is still the home in the sandbender village that just happens to have a radio and an electric lamp in it

there was apparently some Serious Problems with the art and they hired a new person going forward

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Brandon has done some more AMAs on reddit. Here are some of the things he wrote:

First on the topic that basically everybody but Szeth, (Mistborn/Warbreaker spoilers!) Vasher, Vivienna, Felt, and perhaps some of the Heralds should look Asian, but that Shallan for example looks like a stereotypical Irish redhead on the Words of Radiance cover:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Yeah, I've had a tough time pushing to get the images to work like I want. (Oathbringer's cover was more successful here.) The problem is that a lot of artists work from models, and it's hard to find appropriate models.

I've let Shallan slide because I know that if the films get made, she's likely to be cast with a Caucasian actress--and am more ready to make a fight over Kaladin, Jasnah, and Dalinar. So I don't particularly mind if people see Shallan as white, for various reasons--the main one being the one that's been brought up in this thread, I believe. The fact that Vedens, Alethi, and Horneaters aren't real Earth races--and can't really be cast with them. Shallan, having all three bloods intermixed, makes for a difficult description--particularly since I know the average reader is going to peg her as Irish in complexion because of the hair.

I would say that it's all right to imagine the characters however you would like, as it's your version of the story in your head. The Whelan art in book two is how I think most people will imagine her, and I'm fine with that--I wish I'd been able to get Kaladin looking a little more right on the book two cover, though I was successful with Jasnah on book three.

[...]

I actually think Adolin could be somewhat easier than others.

When we make the movies, I'll probably suggest that we make anyone from Shin, Iri, or Rira (all along the coast there) look Caucasian. The books can handle a lot more of a learning curve, I feel, than the films--and we won't have things like the Interludes to jump over to Iri to explore their culture. So a race of strange, golden-skinned and haired people who ALSO aren't native to Roshar (different from the Caucasians in Shinovar) might just be too odd.

The Rirans, which Adolin comes from, are already a mixed ethnicity themselves--not even Iriali, so it's fine to make them Caucasian. So Adolin could be cast white, if they really want to. Basically, I'm expecting it to be a bit of a fight to get them to cast four of the leads (Kaladin/Dalinar/Jasnah/Navani) as Asian actors. Maybe I'll be wrong, but from what I've heard from actors in Hollywood, directors and studios are hesitant about not being able to cast known names in big roes. (Ignoring the fact that's hard for Asian American actors to become big names if they aren't ever given big roles...)

So, I can imagine allowing them to go with someone Caucasian for Adolin and Shallan, in exchange for pushing the rest of the cast to be how I'd like.

In a perfect world, though, I'd want someone like Dave Bautista for Dalinar--and someone like Alex Landi for Adolin. (Note that I'm not a casting director myself, so I have no idea who could act the role the right way--I'm just judging based on what I've seen of them in the past.)

Then we have some light spoilers for an eventual Threnody (Shadows for Silence) novel:

quote:

Brandon Sanderson: Silverlight novella probably needs to wait until I've done the Threnody novel, for some connective tissue reasons, but we'll see.

redditor: This just further leads me to bet that the new group that'll be introduced in the Threnody novel will have Silverlight ties.

Brandon Sanderson: It will.

Spoilers for the PoV characters of Stormlight 4 and 5:

quote:

redditor: Excitement...building... Brandon only question I can't hold - can you confirm whether Navani will be the prologue viewpoint? Or you want to keep that quiet/ haven't decided yet? Thank you, as always, for being the Joybringer

BS: Yes, she is the prologue viewpoint.

redditor: Just had a random thought.. but wouldn't it be dope to have the book 5 viewpoint from Gavilar himself, and it finally revealing what exactly he was up to.. :)

BS: That is what I have planned.

Spoilers for Stormlight and Sixth of the Dust sequel(s)/Space Era Mistborn:

quote:

BS: The Iriali story is one you should expect to be continued during the space age of the cosmere, not in current storylines.

redditor: What about characters who are interested with cosmology in current storylines? Like Dalinar who certainly wants to seek answers about the universe. Do you plan to write more of it in future novels of current series or this is a stuff for future series with defferent set of characters?

BS: The further we move in the Cosmere, the more these stories will become relevant. We're moving from the world of them just being cameos into the world of them being small (but important) sub-plots. They will evolve from there.

Finally, he replied to some questions about changes for the TV adaptation for Wheel of Time. The gist is basically that those changes are mostly good, still in flux, and a natural consequence of adapting a story from one medium to another:

https://www.tor.com/2019/05/28/brandon-sanderson-wheel-of-time-tv-show-changes/

quote:

I found the mast [sic] majority of these decisions to be excellent choices–things that will give the show its own soul, but still in line with the feel and tone of the books. I can’t say for certain, but my instincts say the fanbase will in general respond to them positively. There are a few I offered suggestions on, and we’ll see.

I can’t say too much, not just because of NDAs, but also because the show is very much still in flux as Rafe makes decisions on how he wants things to go. As the alterations go, I’d say they fall in line with positive changes made in bringing LOTR to the big screen–things that were altered in order to make the films work for the medium.

Overall, the thing I’m most impressed with is Rafe himself, who really seems to be guiding this show with a balance between love for the source material and his own creative vision. I’d much rather get this, personally, than something like the first two Harry Potter films–which felt like someone trying to bring the books to the screen with exact scene-by-scene recreations.

I’m certain there will be polarizing decisions made by the team, but the changes are coming from a good place, and I really like most of them. And let me tell you, the first of the two scripts I read was sharp. Excellent dialogue, nuanced characters, great pacing. The second of the two was in a rougher shape, so while still good, obviously was still undergoing revisions.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Brandon's collaboration on Dark One has been turned in and will be out next year:

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1133433753756348416

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

Brandon has done some more AMAs on reddit. Here are some of the things he wrote:

First on the topic that basically everybody but Szeth, (Mistborn/Warbreaker spoilers!) Vasher, Vivienna, Felt, and perhaps some of the Heralds should look Asian, but that Shallan for example looks like a stereotypical Irish redhead on the Words of Radiance cover:

If a Hollywood studio makes these movies Kaladin, Dalinar, and most everyone else will be Caucasian actors with Shin being albino and Rock either being someone like Michael Clarke Duncan or someone with makeup similar to Drax in the MCU because Hollywood is real bad with whitewashing

Black Panther's success might've helped against that lovely trend but if Stormlight movies get made in the US and actually have a mostly non-white cast I'll be stunned.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Current licensing rights are owned by DMG, which is a Chinese company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also Hollywood would just have Rock be played by The Rock