Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, I've started this I guess

https://lightningbrigade.home.blog/

I don't really know how to make a webpage and this one is still under construction, but I'm sitting on 30K of backlog so, why not go ahead and start. What's important is the story, after all

Reaching out to other places to promote it.

It's a thing I guess. While super hero-y, it's more inspired by Japanese live action super hero stuff, Power Rangers/Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman. That kind of thing. Dark but it embraces the campy nature of the genre. I just can't call it cape fiction because, that's not what it is. It has super hero elements, but very different than Western super hero stuff.

It's a story I've been wanting to tell for years and years and finally realized, a web serial would be perfect for it.

And now to sink back into the abyss as Wildbow chat starts again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
that looks cool, I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck with your creative endeavors~

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The DM would probably slow down the escalation some if they slowed down in turn, but it doesn't mean he's going to play softball, too - Something that's a fun/cool story to read about, or play in a game or in pen and paper, could be a living nightmare to actually experience. A couple of PC deaths in a D&D party : no big deal, roll up new characters. You can't do that here.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Marriage ended with Diabolist, Tyrant is now my waifu. Step it up, Akua!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cat's really coming out swinging now that she knows she fights better with a brain than a serious.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Wandering Inn early Patreon: Toren out as best character, Ksmvr is now the best character. “I see. Is it war, then?”

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25027/the-lightning-brigade

Brigade is live on Royal Road now as well, for those who prefer that to my rinkadink site. Chapter 2 is online!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI patreon chapter was excellent. And it was action-focused, normally the worst chapters of TWI!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the TWI chapter was excellent. I'm so used to Ksmvr whining about himself being an inferior copy that I forgot that even a lovely copy of Klbch should still be a one man killing machine

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I think the whole point of the chapter was that Ksmvr is becoming more than just a copy of Klbkch. He fought in a style that fits his form well, using the shield with the third arm while fighting with both his other hands, or using a bow with the other hands. And his jumping style was unique to him too

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get that but since I cant really remember him doing anything exciting in particular for like, 100 chapters, it was cool

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Burkion posted:

So, I've started this I guess

https://lightningbrigade.home.blog/

I don't really know how to make a webpage and this one is still under construction, but I'm sitting on 30K of backlog so, why not go ahead and start. What's important is the story, after all

Reaching out to other places to promote it.

It's a thing I guess. While super hero-y, it's more inspired by Japanese live action super hero stuff, Power Rangers/Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman. That kind of thing. Dark but it embraces the campy nature of the genre. I just can't call it cape fiction because, that's not what it is. It has super hero elements, but very different than Western super hero stuff.

It's a story I've been wanting to tell for years and years and finally realized, a web serial would be perfect for it.

And now to sink back into the abyss as Wildbow chat starts again.

Coolish premise but your two first chapters were slow worldbuilders and unless someone reminds me I’m probably going to forget to visit it again!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

Coolish premise but your two first chapters were slow worldbuilders and unless someone reminds me I’m probably going to forget to visit it again!

I'm sure I'll remind you in a bit. By chapter 5 things start kicking into high gear, just gotta build the characters.

I have older drafts where I start in media res with Brigade and it is not a story that lends itself to that, as I found out the hard way. On the plus side, when I reach that part of the story I'll have a ton of backlog I just have to edit!

Thank you, for the record. Hopefully you'll come back around once the action kicks in and characters start meeting up

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Burkion posted:

I'm sure I'll remind you in a bit. By chapter 5 things start kicking into high gear, just gotta build the characters.

I have older drafts where I start in media res with Brigade and it is not a story that lends itself to that, as I found out the hard way. On the plus side, when I reach that part of the story I'll have a ton of backlog I just have to edit!

Thank you, for the record. Hopefully you'll come back around once the action kicks in and characters start meeting up

I really came off as an rear end in a top hat there. I'll blame my lack of sleep. I will catch up on it and it seems cool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

I really came off as an rear end in a top hat there. I'll blame my lack of sleep. I will catch up on it and it seems cool.

Nah, you're fine man. I can sympathise with a lack of sleep though. But it's better than it used to be. I fully admit the start is probably a touch too slow, I'm just not sure how to speed it up without sacrificing character beats. Could update faster, but that'd eat into the precious back log and you know how that song and dance goes

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I'm retarded and keep having to reload from killing my spys commanding enemy armies.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Caught up on PracGuide and Kairos is the most entertaining character. The scene(s) with the goat have been pure comedy gold.

Cat's been bluffing a lot. I wonder when someone is going to call her bluff. Twice now she's solved a situation with a bluff without really having an alternate solution. Come to think of it, with the way the world runs on rules of threes, I bet the next time she tries it she gets called.

What do you think of so many character's losing their Names? Amadeus especially just felt like cheating.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

LLSix posted:

Caught up on PracGuide and Kairos is the most entertaining character. The scene(s) with the goat have been pure comedy gold.

Cat's been bluffing a lot. I wonder when someone is going to call her bluff. Twice now she's solved a situation with a bluff without really having an alternate solution. Come to think of it, with the way the world runs on rules of threes, I bet the next time she tries it she gets called.

What do you think of so many character's losing their Names? Amadeus especially just felt like cheating.

Kairos is fun, but he feels incomplete without Hierarch. I hope we see him before this mess is over, I want to see The Will of the People vs the Dead King.

Are the two situations when she stopped the cavalry at Iserre, and now with Kairos? Because I'm thinking that it could also turn into a power not unlike her cloak or her theft ability, composure/unflappability in the face of odds, which is something she's kind of been doing for a while (And talking/bluffing her way out of a tricky situation has been her modus operandi since she was a claimant to the Squire).

I suspect that characters losing Names is part of Cat's narrative in a sense, all the characters who have been losing their Names have been closely linked back to Cat and the Liesse Accords is built on restricting the power of Names. I suspect that as Cat gets closer to her goal the power of Names involved with her diminishes, which might is an interesting angle for Bard (diminishing her Name enough to get free of the limitations imposed by it/losing it entirely via Cat)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

devildragon777 posted:

Are the two situations when she stopped the cavalry at Iserre, and now with Kairos? Because I'm thinking that it could also turn into a power not unlike her cloak or her theft ability, composure/unflappability in the face of odds, which is something she's kind of been doing for a while (And talking/bluffing her way out of a tricky situation has been her modus operandi since she was a claimant to the Squire).

I suspect that characters losing Names is part of Cat's narrative in a sense, all the characters who have been losing their Names have been closely linked back to Cat and the Liesse Accords is built on restricting the power of Names. I suspect that as Cat gets closer to her goal the power of Names involved with her diminishes, which might is an interesting angle for Bard (diminishing her Name enough to get free of the limitations imposed by it/losing it entirely via Cat)

Yes, you nailed the two I am thinking of.

I like your thought regarding the Bard. I don't think you're right, but it would be a cool direction.

I just realized Amadeus lost his name so Cat can make him a ruler. One of the few details we know about the Accords is that they'll ban Names from ruling. That also explains why the Bard was pushing Amadeus towards claiming a Name in their brief talk.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Might get some hate for this, but I took a chance on The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound despite the stupid fucken name. Mostly because it was trending on RR and WOW IS IT LONG! Standard System Apocalypse Lit-RPG/Cultivation thing. I started off hate-reading it, but the author has a way with cliffhangers that sucks you in. Anyway, if you’re looking for some brain fluff that doesn’t have the author quit right as you’re getting interested, go for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Updated twice today because I realized my chapter 4 was WAY too short on its own

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
New Pracguide chapter is pretty good.

even if I agree that I can't wait for the real protagonist Hierarch to get more screen time

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I liked Saint's point of view there. And Pilgrim's "no poo poo" was amazing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SerSpook posted:

I was actually referencing the one before that, darn the rapid update speed.

But yeah it's hard not to kinda like Tariq and Laurence.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah they assume that the DM is hostile not by his actions but because Aerb is based almost entirely on Juniper's work and Juniper loved to be a hostile DM. Especially since a lot of the stuff in Aerb is from when he was spiraling into depression, specifically

I am really not up to date, but my understanding was basically that Juniper had the relationship with the DM that he believed he would have. If he believes the DM wants a fun romp where no one dies that's what he will have, and if he believes he has to win against the DM that's what he has.

Basically everything is done to justify Juniper's own bias, because those bias are enforced by reality.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
New single chapter of Worth the Candle is out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've finished the first book of The Gods are Bastards and I don't know what to think. The writing is good, and the editing is the most professional I've seen in a web format. There's at least 4 different stories only loosely related and only one of them has managed to hook me.

Also, the last chapter of the first book was excruciatingly clumsy. All the gods hanging out together in a bar is okay, but nothing explains why they'd be willing to let the empress use their secret-not-secret bar for spy-meetings. The second worst bit was the shoe-horning in a high priest saying "the gods are bastards." The worst bit was how almost all the gods agreed and cheered him insulting them to their faces.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LLSix posted:

I've finished the first book of The Gods are Bastards and I don't know what to think. The writing is good, and the editing is the most professional I've seen in a web format. There's at least 4 different stories only loosely related and only one of them has managed to hook me.

Also, the last chapter of the first book was excruciatingly clumsy. All the gods hanging out together in a bar is okay, but nothing explains why they'd be willing to let the empress use their secret-not-secret bar for spy-meetings. The second worst bit was the shoe-horning in a high priest saying "the gods are bastards." The worst bit was how almost all the gods agreed and cheered him insulting them to their faces.

TGaB gets stronger and stronger over the next several books and then starts tapering out a bunch as the author tries juggling too many things. It's picked back up a lot recently but definitely has a noticeable stumbling block in books 11-13 which may turn you off of it for a while, but 14 and 15 are noticeably better. The gods being... weird... is part of the overarching metaplot that's been partially explained by this point but is still missing a few key details. The Elysium chapter will make much more sense in retrospect once you've learned a lot more of the setting backstory and such.

For what it's worth I absolutely adore the story and many of the main characters in it, so I highly recommend reading it at least until it starts dragging for you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

While Cat has personal reasons to dislike Saint, I feel like Saint's attitude is pretty justified by her experiences. Like, she has a full lifetime of meeting villains with all sorts of personalities, often including sympathetic ones, and having them inevitably become bad in some way. If anything, in some ways it's better than Pilgrim's, since Pilgrim gives the impression he isn't fully honest with himself and still tries to act kind towards people he's directly trying to kill just to ease his own conscience (though Pilgrim is still overall a pretty good guy and it's hard to blame him too much for this). Hell, Cat is basically taking the same sort of attitude Pilgrim and Saint have towards her towards Rogue Sorcerer. Many of Cat's companions are also kinda objectively worse people than a lot of the heroes we've dealt with. Like, Archer and Masego are definitely worse than, say, Saint (it was basically implied that Archer literally just murdered some random dudes for alcohol in the recent chapter), and Black is probably also overall morally worse, though he's a bit more ambiguous since his "moral balance sheet" also includes a lot of good he's done for the Empire (and sorta Callow, through harm reduction). Largely due to Black being the one who raised her, Cat's personal reaction to someone like Saint (or even Pilgrim) is more negative than her reaction to someone like Kairos, despite both heroes being dramatically better morally and having pretty good reasons for their actions. I think Cat is aware of this bias, though.

Speaking of Rogue Sorcerer, I'm wondering if his Name might not even be a directly magical one, and that it might somehow involve stealing other peoples' abilities or something (maybe this is what causes the pupil change thing, plus the weird fact that he can't understand High Arcana despite seemingly being a mage Name). Like, one interpretation of Rogue Sorcerer is that he's a "sorcerous rogue." I hope he's actually genuine in his sympathy towards Cat, because this story is long overdue a hero who just flat-out finds Cat's position and history more correct and agreeable, though the fact that he's kept his abilities under wraps so well implies some degree of careful planning.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Rogue Sorceror is a spellthief I think. His way of getting past the wards was to literally steal them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
He's a Rogue Sorcerer geddit

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

While Cat has personal reasons to dislike Saint, I feel like Saint's attitude is pretty justified by her experiences. Like, she has a full lifetime of meeting villains with all sorts of personalities, often including sympathetic ones, and having them inevitably become bad in some way. If anything, in some ways it's better than Pilgrim's, since Pilgrim gives the impression he isn't fully honest with himself and still tries to act kind towards people he's directly trying to kill just to ease his own conscience (though Pilgrim is still overall a pretty good guy and it's hard to blame him too much for this). Hell, Cat is basically taking the same sort of attitude Pilgrim and Saint have towards her towards Rogue Sorcerer. Many of Cat's companions are also kinda objectively worse people than a lot of the heroes we've dealt with. Like, Archer and Masego are definitely worse than, say, Saint (it was basically implied that Archer literally just murdered some random dudes for alcohol in the recent chapter), and Black is probably also overall morally worse, though he's a bit more ambiguous since his "moral balance sheet" also includes a lot of good he's done for the Empire (and sorta Callow, through harm reduction). Largely due to Black being the one who raised her, Cat's personal reaction to someone like Saint (or even Pilgrim) is more negative than her reaction to someone like Kairos, despite both heroes being dramatically better morally and having pretty good reasons for their actions. I think Cat is aware of this bias, though.

Speaking of Rogue Sorcerer, I'm wondering if his Name might not even be a directly magical one, and that it might somehow involve stealing other peoples' abilities or something (maybe this is what causes the pupil change thing, plus the weird fact that he can't understand High Arcana despite seemingly being a mage Name). Like, one interpretation of Rogue Sorcerer is that he's a "sorcerous rogue." I hope he's actually genuine in his sympathy towards Cat, because this story is long overdue a hero who just flat-out finds Cat's position and history more correct and agreeable, though the fact that he's kept his abilities under wraps so well implies some degree of careful planning.

Cat does have an easier time hating/disliking people who currently stand against her, and both Laurence and Tariq have a longer history of doing so.

It's very easy to hate the Enemy, and indeed we see how Laurence tar all Villains under the same brush (even if she isn't necessarily wrong to do so). Given enough time Kairos will elicit the same if not worse response.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: No loving idea who pirateaba is talking about as leading Niers's army hunting the students

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon, again: Jesus loving christ pirateaba just wrote a 54 page chapter in half a week :stare: :stare:

Content wise, I really hope we get the pose-as-a-team-cause-poo poo-just-got-real group victory for the entire advanced class because they are all really loving cool. Wil having his sister loving :killdozer: her way in was equal parts :unsmith: and :krad:

I was kind of worried because the previous chapters focusing on the non-Geneva characters in this group were kind of tiresome but this chapter paid off in spades.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone give me the password because I dont get paid till friday

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
you, uh, kind of lack pms.
also its literally 5 bucks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A big flaming stink posted:

you, uh, kind of lack pms.
also its literally 5 bucks

Yeah but the thing is they charge you on the first, and if you're broke on the first because its the end of your pay period, well,

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah but the thing is they charge you on the first, and if you're broke on the first because its the end of your pay period, well,

oh, that is kind of a lovely arrangement.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 5, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac guide:

ZeZe no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

tithin posted:

Prac guide:

ZeZe no!
ZeZe yes!