Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i gave up on mashima when he started delving into gross rapey bsdm poo poo.

So chapter 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shokugeki No Souma ends in 3 chapters. Thank god.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Shokugeki No Souma ends in 3 chapters. Thank god.

I really wanted to like this series since I love cooking based stories, but only got as far as the first taste testing stuff where the reaction to someone eating his food was depicted as a teenage girl being stripped and tickled, and just sort of assumed things would go downhill from there

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I really wanted to like this series since I love cooking based stories, but only got as far as the first taste testing stuff where the reaction to someone eating his food was depicted as a teenage girl being stripped and tickled, and just sort of assumed things would go downhill from there

Overblown reactions are the bane of cooking manga, it's why I couldn't get into Yakitake either because it gets so ridiculous when a judge has to have himself anchored down to the ceiling so he doesn't go flying around the room when he eats a croissant.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's like half the point of Yakitate

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That's why Cooking Papa is the greatest food manga, our hero consistently comes home after his 12-hour office workday to fuss over dinner for an alcoholic wife and a kid who'd be just as happy with fish sausage straight from the package.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Overblown reactions are the bane of cooking manga, it's why I couldn't get into Yakitake either because it gets so ridiculous when a judge has to have himself anchored down to the ceiling so he doesn't go flying around the room when he eats a croissant.

IIRC, Yakitate doesn't have any skeevy fanservice in it, so that already puts it way above Shokugeki.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Soma was so good for so long and just bottomed out hard once Azami showed up. It's really a shame, and I'm surprised the mercy killing took this long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soma tones down the fanservice really early once it gets popular.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arist posted:

Soma tones down the fanservice really early once it gets popular.

Yeah, but then it ramps back up again when Food Hitler shows up to ruin the manga. Never seen something take such a sharp turn in quality like that, it must have gotten a new editor or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New Seven Deadly Sins chapter is out and it's not even called an epilogue anymore. Looks like that was just a fake out, though I cant imagine it'll go for much longer.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/csm/024/5909/1

CHAINSAWMAN.

O_O

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Here's a thought exercise: Imagine you're a mangaka, and you got a new manga published in Weekly Jump. You've just finished setting up all the characters and the major conflict. What would you do next? Would you think of future plot arcs, perhaps? A series of setups and payoffs? Character development? Some sort of multi-act structure? Or would you kill off all your main characters maybe, because you're Tatsuki Fujimoto?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fujimoto does not give a singular gently caress and it kinda rules

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

huh I've never read this bleach chapter before

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Only a few more hours until the next update of Spy x Family drops. I wanna know what happens next so bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Only a few more hours until the next update of Spy x Family drops. I wanna know what happens next so bad.
It's been two weeks already? Where did the time go.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Here's a thought exercise: Imagine you're a mangaka, and you got a new manga published in Weekly Jump. You've just finished setting up all the characters and the major conflict. What would you do next? Would you think of future plot arcs, perhaps? A series of setups and payoffs? Character development? Some sort of multi-act structure? Or would you kill off all your main characters maybe, because you're Tatsuki Fujimoto?

You are standing in a field.

> look west

There is a character.

> kill the character

You are Tatsuki Fujimoto.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1001973

Best manga just updated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I just realized.

Yoru brought the wine with her to the castle!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It's somewhat troubling that in her delusions, people know who she is by face. Defeats the purpose of having a cover life in the real world.
I also hope that <Twilight> helps keep Henry in his job. The old man is too refined to be thrown out on the streets for doing the right thing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anya must be traumatized if she read that mind. :ohdear:
I did not expect the chapter to be about role play, but it was perfect.

Now who do we kill to save the elegant old man.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/61/page/1

New Juju!

Kugisaki is good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
She has been badass in this fight and that was great

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I was on the fence about this character but she nailed it this chapter and now I'm on board. Really stuck it to her opponent with that last move.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wow! New hunter x hunter chapter out of nowhere!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel bad for the lumpy little brother

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Last of the new Jump Starts I think is out today officially.

Verdict overall: All of this poo poo seems doomed.

The shougi manga is a shougi manga. If there's an editor out there that really likes shougi he really needs to understand that when you have like 2-3 other shougi jump starts fail in the space of like a year and a half maybe it's not gonna work.

The rugby manga is rugby. Sports manga in Jump are generally cursed unless you're Haikyuu or Hinomaru (which has to have loving Yakuza pulling for it or something because its manga has never sold, and the anime is one of the worst selling anime in the last decade).

The new one, Tokyo Shinobi Squad is extremely bland and has so-so paneling for an artist/author combo. It feels like Ne0;lation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tokyo Shinobi Squad being about how globalization and easy transportation has made Japan a crime-ridden cesspool makes me feel like we're six months out from finding out the author has some tweets detailing what he thinks about Article 9 and/or Korean people

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Tokyo Shinobi Squad being about how globalization and easy transportation has made Japan a crime-ridden cesspool makes me feel like we're six months out from finding out the author has some tweets detailing what he thinks about Article 9 and/or Korean people
Yeah that didn't make much sense to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I actually like the art and style of that new Tokyo Samurai manga, but yikes that screed at the beginning.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tokyo Shinobi Squad is a really cool comic that will get a handful of volumes and go away because I don't think it has the spark hook that will give it popularity.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So many good faces this chapter. :allears:

I'm glad the author didn't waste time having them do something about the other people on the waiting list and instead focused the rest of the chapter on the celebration. It really helps the story keep its good pacing.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I've seen similar complaints about it. Honestly, it's too early to judge it. I'll give it to you that the first impressions aren't good. But they might expand on what exactly happens.
Even the protagonist's opening line of "so much for globalization" Could be taken a few different ways. Because we see a Japanese guy chasing a Thai kid. So maybe the message isn't so much, we opened up our glorious Japan and all these filthy foreigners turned it into a crime-ridden cesspool. But more, we had the chance to turn things around but hosed it up or something?

Like there is an interesting story to tell here, and I hope the author actually goes that route. Having a diverse cast of multiple nationalities is pretty refreshing at least.

Also I want to know more about that "Justin Bieber incident"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We never learn
Worst dad doing his best to become best dad is pretty touching.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It helps that he didn't go too far off the deep end and has expressed genuine regret for his past actions. But because he's a huge dork when it comes to other people he didn't know how to handle it.
I love how all these socially awkward geniuses, think they can pick poo poo up by reading about it in books. Just like Kirisu getting a bunch of books about taking care of infants when she had to look after that baby.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

On that note did we ever hear back from the U19 guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulderman posted:

It helps that he didn't go too far off the deep end and has expressed genuine regret for his past actions. But because he's a huge dork when it comes to other people he didn't know how to handle it.
I love how all these socially awkward geniuses, think they can pick poo poo up by reading about it in books. Just like Kirisu getting a bunch of books about taking care of infants when she had to look after that baby.

one of my most hated shounen tropes is the rear end in a top hat Dad Redemption Arc where after a lifetime of emotional abuse they're like "I guess you're not entirely poo poo, sometimes" and everyone fawns over him because he's really such a loving person can't you see

this one's better though since he's actively trying to change