Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Truga posted:

this weekend i was going to resize one of the qnaps because i put bigger disks in, so in my dumbass naivety i just clicked "expand array" or whatever in the web gui.

this lead to the qnap saying i get more space, doing something for around 15 minutes, and then the array becoming unmounted. turns out it resized the partition alright, but the new array was 4 blocks smaller than the old one and obviously refused to mount lmao
yeah that sounds exactly like what the qnap software would do in that situation, i am imprssed by how much they hosed up "web app wrapper around linux command line utilities"

Truga posted:

unironically thanks for this, i'm finally buying new hardware at work and qnaps are gonna be repurposed for slow archive dumps, might as well run something that doesn't randomly explode my raid iguess
:tip shat:

i actually get pretty good perofrmance out of the qnap box that i repurposed like i described, after using the nas4free interface to wipe the disks and recreate the array as zfs raidz2, its much more stable than running qna'ps garbage, and it functions really well as a destination for zfs snapshot replication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Announcing the Unity Editor for Linux

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

spent too much time on fedora, work gave me a macbook and after a few days of it im having a hard time recreating a lot of my workflows for multiple spaces/monitors in a way that I find acceptable. i am cursed to walk this bastard earth using linux forever now lol owned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Synology is pretty good for secondary storage

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

my bitter bi rival posted:

spent too much time on fedora, work gave me a macbook and after a few days of it im having a hard time recreating a lot of my workflows for multiple spaces/monitors in a way that I find acceptable. i am cursed to walk this bastard earth using linux forever now lol owned

*switches virtual desktops, the entire environment including mouse cursor doesn't lock up and judder for an entire second as a 2gb JavaScript heap isn't garbage collected on the foreground rendering thread*

It's... It's just not the same :negative:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

i'll never forgive docker and k8s for injecting us with more yaml

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RHEL8 wants you to use podman and buildah instead of docker. So far it seems better because you don’t need a daemon to build containers.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

RHEL8 wants you to use podman and buildah instead of docker. So far it seems better because you don’t need a daemon to build containers.

in what situation do you care about running an extra daemon. is it that computationally expensive?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Faith For Two posted:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/shipping-a-linux-kernel-with-windows/

Thread title is prophetic because Microsoft is planning to have Linux be an optional feature in Windows.

WSL 2 is going to be real nice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Share Bear posted:

in what situation do you care about running an extra daemon. is it that computationally expensive?

it’s about root privileges and also making it easier to migrate to K8s

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
do any distros come with i3 pre installed? i tried to install it myself but it didn't work

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Corla Plankun posted:

do any distros come with i3 pre installed? i tried to install it myself but it didn't work

Manjaro has an i3 flavor. Although it's i3-gaps, so you will have to fiddle with the config to disable the spaces between windows.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

people who use i3, and people who need a distro to preinstall i3 for them, are two non-overlapping circles

just install it yourself :cmon:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

people who use i3, and people who need a distro to preinstall i3 for them, are two non-overlapping circles

yeah, if you use linux you should just expect it to be user hostile

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

akadajet posted:

Done!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

akadajet posted:

but that's the raison d'etre for tiling window manager enthusiasts

like what else do you think they're going to do with their time???

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

the real solution is using dwm where even something as plebian as changing configuration means recompiling your entire wm

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

i mean, it is

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Depends on the user. You really shouldn't kink shame, especially in the Linux thread.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Progressive JPEG posted:

lmao yeah you're right. i shoulda just tried to troubleshoot it when it didn't work the first time. I'm pretty new to trying to mess with xorg stuff so i didn't really know what to do next when i choose i3 on login and then it just... didn't

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

just didn't what?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

your mom

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

pseudorandom name posted:

just didn't what?

Did not in fact give him i3, I imagine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’ve worked with Linuxes before but I’ve never had to actually, like, make decisions about one distribution or another (beyond rejecting Debian and all His wicked works and false promises), if I put Fedora on a RPi how different will that be from the RHEL I gently caress with at work?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

So I’ve worked with Linuxes before but I’ve never had to actually, like, make decisions about one distribution or another (beyond rejecting Debian and all His wicked works and false promises), if I put Fedora on a RPi how different will that be from the RHEL I gently caress with at work?

RHEL is forked from Fedora. Fedora is just RHEL with newer packages. The experience will be 99% the same.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Red hat flavor Linux is the correct Linux

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
if you’re on a raspi and you don’t care what you get use raspian because it’s easy. if you’re on a raspi and you care what you get enjoy buildroot or yocto

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

RHEL is forked from Fedora. Fedora is just RHEL with newer packages. The experience will be 99% the same.

more like 85% the same, because fedora gets waaaaaaaay out ahead of rhel

but fedora tends to have all the sharp bits sanded off the way rhel does, which is good

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

fedora server aarch64 on a raspberry pi works very nicely

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i confess i am genuinely worried about ibm buying red hat

i have never had a pleasant working relationship with ibm, or any subsidiary of ibm, ever. that poo poo has been invariably, and intractably, hostile, at every job i've ever had. at one job it literally came down to lawsuits. that bad.

red hat, on the other hand, while sometimes over-expensive, has always been a vendor relationship that mostly worked. even for non-linux products. sometimes i was profoundly dis-satisfied with pricing, but i never found them hard to work with. support did what it was meant to, the sales relationship wasn't more adversarial than it needed to be, etc.

it's a night-and-day difference and i'm scared to death ibm will make redhat into a mini-ibm

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao yeah you're right. i shoulda just tried to troubleshoot it when it didn't work the first time. I'm pretty new to trying to mess with xorg stuff so i didn't really know what to do next when i choose i3 on login and then it just... didn't

if I had to guess since you said “chose i3 on login” you were trying to launch it from gnome or something. don’t.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vomik posted:

if I had to guess since you said “chose i3 on login” you were trying to launch it from gnome or something. don’t.

Sounds more like the session selector on the login screen.

Does it just come back to the login?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phobeste posted:

if you’re on a raspi and you don’t care what you get use raspian because it’s easy. if you’re on a raspi and you care what you get enjoy buildroot or yocto NetBSD

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what was ever the purpose of netbsd

I mean freebsd is for bootlickers, openbsd is for Theo to have his fiefdom and leave everyone else alone, what role does netbsd fill?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

simple driver model

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
NetBSD is the purest expression of the BSD spirit

neither bootlickers nor a cult of personality, just a reasonable OS that runs on everything with reasonable performance

need to re-run the BYTE UNIX Benchmarks on my SS20 with 8.1 now that it’s ready, see how it compares to 7.0

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

though it’d be even better if NetBSD incorporated Mach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

what was ever the purpose of netbsd

I mean freebsd is for bootlickers, openbsd is for Theo to have his fiefdom and leave everyone else alone, what role does netbsd fill?

installing it on things