Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
gently caress i love chickens lol. we don't deserve them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
flawless snipe

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nankeen posted:

gently caress :yeah:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Week three class photos will be up later today...as soon as I convince my babies to stop testing their wings all the time and going on A D V E N T U R E S.

The good news is that most of them can get back into the brooder after escaping. The bad news is that sometimes they can't and I have to go check on them every few hours to make sure someone hasn't gotten lost in the great wilderness that is The Spare Bedroom. Our kitten, Oz, is very helpful when it comes to finding lost chickies. He's very curious about them, but not old enough to see them as food, and they're basically the same size as one another so as soon as he finds one he just sits beside it and stares at it. He looks very sweet, the chicky looks terrified -- it's wonderful.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 2, 2019

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

nankeen posted:

I never would have imagined I would come to love chickens so much before I started keeping them, but I adore those fluffy butts so much :love:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They definitely are. Also the girls are very butch and can grow spurs and even sickle feathers sometimes.

God dammit Zilla has a couple tailfeathers that look like they want to arc downward. I hope she doesn't get savage.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

nankeen posted:

flawless snipe

apocalypse guinea now

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

wilderbeans

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Omg they're so wonderful it physically hurts :kimchi:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The expectant mother

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

nankeen posted:

i didn't know they were that broody! do they make good mothers?

Some moreso than others. When I had chickens, we had a few silkie hens, and while all three could get pretty broody, one in particular was a super-mom.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My chickens have zero chill lately when I just want to get a nice picture of them. A short video, they can just barely do.

https://i.imgur.com/OAr6dx7.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ :neckbeard: ^^^

A little late this week, apologies! Life happens, etc. The chicks were moved into another room this week. Did you know that 50% of the world's dust comes from growing chickies? It's true, I've lived it.

Week One: https://imgur.com/a/htMFny7
Week Two: https://imgur.com/a/vRzi4rS

And now, week three-point-five...terrible lighting and terrible posing all around. It's also impossible to capture how much they've grown since hatching, they're like four times the weight these days! And a million times the dust and noise. :kimchi:

Guess who has an extra toe!

The flash doesn't do her any good. She's a beautiful sleek black little thing!

Poor little cross-beaked thing. She's still so runty. Still fierce, though!

fine, don't look at me, see if i care

They're becoming so pretty!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
:3: :3: :3: :3:

My Tenerence is growing up!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
:kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I kinda miss that awkward 1/4ths size hosed up feathers look, but at the same time I'm still looking forward to when my girls become proper chonky fatasses.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

5er posted:

My chickens have zero chill lately when I just want to get a nice picture of them. A short video, they can just barely do.

https://i.imgur.com/OAr6dx7.mp4

A word of caution: that wire fencing you have is chicken wire and can be destroyed by a sufficiently motivated predator animal. Most recommend using hardware cloth for trying to create a barrier between the coop and potential predators.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CountFosco posted:

A word of caution: that wire fencing you have is chicken wire and can be destroyed by a sufficiently motivated predator animal. Most recommend using hardware cloth for trying to create a barrier between the coop and potential predators.

that's not just for keeping them out?

hey mcin: did your pal give you silkie eggs because if not, that extra toe is definitely from my lot :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There MIGHT be some silkie genes running through my coworker's eggs, but it's very doubtful, as the silkie she has is incredibly meek and has no girlfriends on account of the flock's bigger roo. I think that's a pretty clear indicator of your flock. :neckbeard:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
ISA Browns seem to be the biggest jerk chickens I've ever kept, outside normal pecking order stuff.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Butternut and Xehanort were on a stroll together outside the brooder box this morning. I'm not sure what they were looking for, but it was the cutest thing. I think Xehanort might be a rooster, so if that proves true, this was like a couple of toddlers holding hands and pretending to be boyfriend and girlfriend because that's what the adults do and I can't stand how sweet and cute it was.

this was cuter in my head but i can't go back now i spent the time

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CountFosco posted:

That's not their coop. Hardware cloth lines their coop. That wire's just there to keep the little fuckers from going under the porch.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
There's been an incubator running in a corner of the staff canteen for the past 20 days (I gave my boss some hatching eggs), and a couple of the more precocious ones have started pipping. There should be a few chicks out already by the time I get in tomorrow morning.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

5er posted:

That's not their coop. Hardware cloth lines their coop. That wire's just there to keep the little fuckers from going under the porch.

Awesome! Glad to hear they're safe.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Bad news so far. Out of 8 eggs, we have 1 successful (and very vocal) Ancona hatch. A couple of other eggs seem to have pipped, but given up overnight. There's a possibility of a couple of extras tonight, but I'm doubtful.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:ohdear: C'mon, babies! Hatch!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sounds like a new office pet to me.

Come onn other eggs! :ohdear:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CountFosco posted:

Awesome! Glad to hear they're safe.

We do our best! I know chickens are overall usually considered with contempt, like average disposable livestock, but each of these birds has a distinct personality emerging, and I jokingly-not-jokingly refer to them as my daughters. I'm super concerned about their safety, and happiness, as much as these brain-stem driven little dinosaur fucks can be.

edit: we've had them evicted to the coop for three weeks now. In the first week it took them a couple days before they would go topside to the house without having to put them up there ourselves, and only as of the past few days have they been properly roosting the whole night. Thank goodness, because it was gross seeing them run down the stairs to the run, legs caked in the poo poo they slept on.

5er fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 13, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like Lorelai has gone broody again. I swear these sussies will brood at the slightest provocation. Good news for us, though, because it means we can now order a dozen fertilized Orpington eggs and see if she'll hatch them. :ohdear:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm thinking of putting a webcam in my run just so I can watch my chickens doing chicken things more often - anybody have any suggestions for a good model? Don't need much other than a nice image and the ability to stream it. I have electricity out there and it should be able to reach my wifi.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like a new office pet to me.

Come onn other eggs! :ohdear:

It turns out they were just being lazy. 5 hatched out of 8. 3 White Leghorns, 2 Anconas.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp, our source for Orpington eggs doesn't have any this year. There's a farmer nearby who had Orp/* crosses, but had run out by the time we got in touch. She also has a bunch of Silver Wyandotte eggs, though...

Seriously look at how pretty those are!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, this is embarrassing. I went to refill the feed last Saturday, and saw that the empty laundry basket I'd put on top of the feed bin was coated in sawdust. On closer inspection, the sawdust was zillions of swarming mites.

I don't know how they got in, but the prolonged rains over the past couple weeks have forced a lot of insects to flee indoors--like, my workplace had an infestation of millipedes, and everyone I know is telling me that the summer has brought on a plague of carpenter ants. None of the chickens have mites, and fortunately, they didn't get to my house rabbit. I can't identify them, but I suppose they were grain mites.

I coated half the room in bleach spray and coop cleaner, but I ended up throwing the bin out anyway and reorganizing the room with more compact and space-saving containers for my animal feed. Still a lousy way to spend a Saturday.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 13, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soylent Yellow posted:

It turns out they were just being lazy. 5 hatched out of 8. 3 White Leghorns, 2 Anconas.

I've often heard Velvet Sparrow mention they'll take a breather after pipping (literally, cuz they're breathing air through the hole :v:) and figured that's what happened. Glad to see that's the case!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I have 9 broody hens.

I'm going to break being a vegetarian to eat them if they keep this up.

E: And a broody duck. Her babies aren't even two months old yet but WE MUST SIT ON THE EGGS.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My pack of cluckfaces, settling in for the night.

(lol at my raw phone uploads being so loving huge but I just can't be bothered to open yet another program to properly scale my stupid vanity pet pictures)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's happening :derp:

Lorelai is now brooding 14 eggs -- 13 Silver-Laced Wyandottes and one Lavender Orpington/SLW cross (I really, really hope that last one hatches, it would be the perfect chicken). I checked in a few hours after we gave her the eggs and she's already pulled most of them under her, and next time she gets up to get a drink I'm going to see if I can extract the fake eggs and unfertilized eggs her sister has been laying just to make sure there's room for them all under her.

Any excess chickens will probably be going to the in-laws, since my partner's mom (a) lives on a farm and thus can have as many chickens (and, in particular, as many roosters) as she's willing to put up with and (b) absolutely loving loves SLWs. If she won't take all of them, well, we have a lot of chicken curry recipes.

Thursday three weeks hence is marked on my calendar as EGG TIME.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

5er posted:

My pack of cluckfaces, settling in for the night.

(lol at my raw phone uploads being so loving huge but I just can't be bothered to open yet another program to properly scale my stupid vanity pet pictures)

Put an 'h' on the end of the image url.

code:

[url]https://i.imgur.com/gnXrQnuh.jpg[/url]

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ToxicFrog posted:

It's happening :derp:

Lorelai is now brooding 14 eggs -- 13 Silver-Laced Wyandottes and one Lavender Orpington/SLW cross (I really, really hope that last one hatches, it would be the perfect chicken). I checked in a few hours after we gave her the eggs and she's already pulled most of them under her, and next time she gets up to get a drink I'm going to see if I can extract the fake eggs and unfertilized eggs her sister has been laying just to make sure there's room for them all under her.

Any excess chickens will probably be going to the in-laws, since my partner's mom (a) lives on a farm and thus can have as many chickens (and, in particular, as many roosters) as she's willing to put up with and (b) absolutely loving loves SLWs. If she won't take all of them, well, we have a lot of chicken curry recipes.

Thursday three weeks hence is marked on my calendar as EGG TIME.

:neckbeard: Best of luck!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sleepypeeps. I think I have 4 or 5 roosters. Maybe you can help me judge when I next post class photos!