Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Have you considered any other split keyboards? The ergodox is a bit dated now and it's also really only for large hands (thumb cluster is far away from rest of keyboard).

Anything 2U and up will be a lot nicer with stabilizers. I had an ergodox ez and the non-stabilized thumb buttons were very wobbly.

I will make sure to get some stabs for the 2u keys then.

I know I said Ergodox but I’m still looking into which version I will build. I need to have a look at all the different versions floating around. Ergodox, Ergodone, Redox are the ones I saw so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I bit the bullet and bought a 120 pack of Hako Trues from Kono Store.

Wish me luck. Hopefully I won't crack any keycaps.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I think Kailh has resolved that issue with the Box switches. At least, I haven't heard any reports of the stems cracking anything anymore.

Kono would not be stocking any of the previous revision, either, so you should be good

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://kono.store/products/hako-mechanical-switches?variant=277428011013

It says on the page that they're the pre-retooling and may cause cracking.
I'm just gonna throw some cheap caps on them, snap them into my GMMK and see how they do. If they're good after a month and I really like them then I'll consider actually building with them and address the cracking-caps problem when it comes.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Oh, d'oh. Your plan sounds good then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been using a basic Sunsonny/Merida/whatever Chinesium keyboard with Brown clones and have enjoyed it greatly. I want to upgrade for the Tai-Hao Miami keycaps I have coming in soon.

I'd like to get some keyboard recommendations. Primary use case is typing. Secondary use case is light gaming of the non-twitchy variety.

Also if anyone knows of a way to get custom colored individual keys I'd love to get that - I wanna get a classic Windows 95 logo key for the Windows key but in one of the Miami colors.

My must-haves:

-Programmable LED keys
-Either comes with Clear Cherry MX or compatible switches or can be had without switches (my cat likes to sit in my lap and her tail thwapping and/or schnoogling actuates the Browns)
-104-key
-Must be easy to turn off the lights (I don't mind if it's switching profiles or something)
-Hot-swappable/no solder required switches

My good-to-haves:

-Detachable USB cable
-USB passthrough
-Either white or smooth surface that can be detached to be painted white
-Minimal branding (I don't mind a flashy keyboard if it comes to it)

I have no real brand loyalty and it doesn't need to be portable. I'd like to keep the price as low as I can but if I can have all those must-haves with as many good-to-haves as possible, I'd be OK to flex a bit higher.

MJP fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 27, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
By programmable LED, I'm going to assume you mean an RGB keyboard where you can customize the lighting.

Your options are kind of limited with that since that feature mostly comes from mainstream gaming boards and those don't generally come with hotswappable sockets.

So your options come down to:

- Glorious GMMK (TKL version has a removable cable, fullsize doesn't)
- Massdrop ALT/CTRL/Drop Shift (has detachable cable and USB C passthrough)
- Custom keyboard (per-key RGB isn't really that popular though, but some PCB's are coming along with those)

Note that I've never bothered installing the GMMK software and just use their built-in lighting presets. The Massdrop keyboards have programmable lighting but their built-in ones are super basic. You'll need to learn QMK and program to have more complex behaviour and animations.

Oh, and somewhat relevant to the thread, Massdrop redesigned their 1800R style keyboard after everyone (me included) completely poo poo on the original design.

EDIT: Oops, and I almost forgot. Cherry MX Clears usually comes in a black housing, so it won't be compatible with RGB LEDs anyway. (most do it via a SMD LED on the PCB instead of an LED that pokes through the switch) The switch housing is just going to block the light. Someone can chime in if Cherry started making them with transparent housings I guess.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 28, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could live without hot-swap sockets, as long as they've got Cherry MX Clears or something equivalent to that which supports RGB lighting. It doesn't have to be Clear, as long as it's the same feel and feedback as Browns with slightly higher actuation force. I care more about "will this key yield to a cat tail thwack" rather than "what switch is this".

Does that help open the options up a bit?

I'm morbidly curious about going fully custom but I doubt my soldering skills, but I'm interested. Is there a PCB with hotswap and SMD LEDs or some other per-key RGB?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
On going custom:

You can make pretty much any PCB hotswappable by soldering in interconnect sockets (think tiny metal sleeves) to the PCB.

There's also PCB's out there with actual hotswap sockets, but they're limited to mostly 60% and 75% layouts. The custom keyboard community doesn't really care for full keyboard sizing (or per-key RGB for that matter)

You're in a tough spot because:

- it's mostly mainstream/gaming keyboards that do per-key RGB
- gaming keyboards typically use lighter switches like browns/reds
- mainstream boards that do use heavier switches don't typically come with per-key rgb (your WASD's etc)

I think your likely choice here is the Glorious GMMK and Massdrop Drop Shift and putting in your heavy switch of choice.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
104-key keyboards do not seem popular with keyboard nerds at all. Everybody seems to go smaller and smaller. The only thing I can really think of is a GMMK.

Depending on how 'custom' you want the RGBs to go though, it'd have to be QMK. I don't actually know of a full size keyboard with RGB LEDs running QMK.

A 104 key RGB matrix seems like a nightmare to design. I'm not even sure how the GMMK pulls enough power over USB2.0. They must be severely limiting the brightness of the LEDs or something. A full 104 key RGB matrix would pull at least over 5 amps at full brightness which would melt USB2.0.

late edit: Did some more maths and looking at datasheets and it's actually more reasonable if you choose dimmer LEDs. I was budgeting around 50ma per LED which is very much on the high end.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 29, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK, got it. I keep thinking about maybe going to TKL but I do my computing with my keyboard on my lap, and it seems like it'd be way too small for normal use - I guess nice minimalist battlestations are good things but it's really nice to be on the couch. Otherwise I'd go for a TKL.

I think Asus or someone else did one with a detachable numeric keypad, which is nice - but I'd miss having the whole keyboard on my lap.

I have some test switches coming in so I'll probably see what I like and get a GMMK. I'm not a fan of the 1800 layout.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MJP posted:

I've been using a basic Sunsonny/Merida/whatever Chinesium keyboard with Brown clones and have enjoyed it greatly. I want to upgrade for the Tai-Hao Miami keycaps I have coming in soon.

I'd like to get some keyboard recommendations. Primary use case is typing. Secondary use case is light gaming of the non-twitchy variety.

Also if anyone knows of a way to get custom colored individual keys I'd love to get that - I wanna get a classic Windows 95 logo key for the Windows key but in one of the Miami colors.

My must-haves:

-Programmable LED keys
-Either comes with Clear Cherry MX or compatible switches or can be had without switches (my cat likes to sit in my lap and her tail thwapping and/or schnoogling actuates the Browns)
-104-key
-Must be easy to turn off the lights (I don't mind if it's switching profiles or something)
-Hot-swappable/no solder required switches

My good-to-haves:

-Detachable USB cable
-USB passthrough
-Either white or smooth surface that can be detached to be painted white
-Minimal branding (I don't mind a flashy keyboard if it comes to it)

I have no real brand loyalty and it doesn't need to be portable. I'd like to keep the price as low as I can but if I can have all those must-haves with as many good-to-haves as possible, I'd be OK to flex a bit higher.
I think The Durgod Taurus k310 Nebula would fit the bill nicely. The switches aren't hot swappable but everything else is there.
https://drop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-310-nebula-rgb-mechanical-keyboard

I have a GMMK that I use for testing switches. It's not my favorite keeb but it is really good at being modular and it's RGB programmable. I can't remember if it's per-key though, sorry.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across the Asus ROG Strix Flare. While I don't need a GAMER KEYBOARD, and it doesn't have swappable switches, I think I'm going to wait and see how the normal Cherry MX switches on my testers feel. It doesn't offer clears but if blacks or reds don't annoy my wife too much, that might be the one. I had one with blues some time ago and she was very much annoyed by it, and I'm happy to compromise on clackiness if I can at least get coolness. I need a good home for those Miami keycaps.

I'm also vain and I think I'd really love to customize that template that the Strix comes with ;_;

MJP fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 29, 2019

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Hey, it's your money man

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
How do Thinkpad laptop keyboards compare to mechanical keyboards? I've been using one for six years now (after using a really lovely Toshiba Satellite laptop keyboard for the preceding four years) and I've always thought that it's very nice. I remember that Thinkpads were lauded for having really excellent keyboards at the time of my original purchase, as well.

I'll be moving to desktop later this year, and I'd assumed I would just get this because it's been a great experience.

However, the thought just occurred to me that maybe Thinkpad keyboards are great for laptops but that they might be considered bad or middling for desktops and there could be way better options out there. I don't use the trackpoint at all, so nothing's keeping me married to the Thinkpad keyboard except having enjoyed it to this point.

Do any of the hobbyists here have Thinkpad keyboard experience that they could compare? Thanks!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

All laptop keyboards suck compared to mechanical keyboards.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Honestly I like my 10 year old ThinkPad keyboard way more than the MX brown board I used to have. The key travel is short but it actually has a pretty decent tactility and feels solid. The only thing I disliked about it was the layout.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The x230 keyboard is excellent

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The T/W520 generation Thinkpad keyboard was legitimately extremely good, but I think they've regressed since then in terms of layout and keyshapes.

The best one I've ever used is actually on an IBM rack console at work though:

Old layout by today's standards, and obviously no windows keys because lol it's an IBM machine what do you need a windows key for, but my god the key feel is just excellent. Far more snappy and crisp than any normal laptop board I've tried.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
isnt that the board that TEX was trying to replicate?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4260

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a switch out there that's basically a Cherry MX Clear but with a clear housing? Tactile bump, 60-68cn activation, clear housing for LEDs on the PCB - that's all I'd need.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

In my insufficient experience, I would say the Zealio V2 67g switch comes closest, but they are rather expensive for switches. The Hako Clear might be similar, but I haven't tried that. I did try the Hako Royal Clear, but those have a weird ramp-up in spring pressure as you get towards the bottom, and to me it felt like the switches were punching back into my fingers as I typed. Not pleasant for me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I have finally purchased my first mechanical keyboard.

I was buying an 8TB HDD ahead of my near total upgrade, since HDDs aren't going to change in 2 months and there's no harm in moving files now, and decided to grab a keyboard for no change in shipping. Nearly got a Ducky One 2 RGB TKL with browns, but it was sold out. Checked their other brands against this thread and decided to get a GMMK RGB TKL prebuilt with gateron browns. Should be a nice upgrade over the $5 keyboard I've been using since my Logitech board broke around the same time I lost my previous job. Plus the modularity appeals to my indecisive brain.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 4, 2019

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

NTRabbit posted:

Plus the modularity appeals to my indecisive brain.

This is something you will not regret. Try all of the switches. I am like 5 keyboards deep in this and still am not 100% happy with my switch choices.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Reminder that GMK Oblivion is up on Massdrop. Been waiting for these to come back for a while now.

https://drop.com/buy/84108

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a place where I can get single custom keycaps that match Tai-Hao colors? I'd like to have an oldschool Windows logo key on the pink Miami colorway.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

MJP posted:

Is there a place where I can get single custom keycaps that match Tai-Hao colors? I'd like to have an oldschool Windows logo key on the pink Miami colorway.

I'd definitely check out https://pimpmykeyboard.com/ Dunno how they stack up price wise but they do custom stuff, and a have a pretty good selection of plastics and colors. They rotate some of them so if the color you want isn't there you can email them and ask if it'll be in stock soon or get help to color match. It can get expensive if you're shipping abroad but I think they do free shipping over a certain amount in USA.

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 7, 2019

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Does anybody do homing bumps or bars on non-standard keys? Ever since I got rid of my gigantic steelseries something or other gaming keyboard I've been missing my W key homing feature. I've been using a blank 5 NumPad keycap and the micro difference in profile (cherry) hasn't really bothered me too much, but I want it to have a "W" legend.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

surf rock posted:

Do any of the hobbyists here have Thinkpad keyboard experience that they could compare?
I use a couple of these at work, and they don’t really compare to the quality of what they put on like an x1 extreme. They’re pretty awful, and I only use them for size reasons since I sometimes need like 4 of them on my desk at once.

I would pay a king’s ransom for this without trackpoint and in Dell layout.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 9, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mrking posted:

Does anybody do homing bumps or bars on non-standard keys? Ever since I got rid of my gigantic steelseries something or other gaming keyboard I've been missing my W key homing feature. I've been using a blank 5 NumPad keycap and the micro difference in profile (cherry) hasn't really bothered me too much, but I want it to have a "W" legend.

Yep, I do deep-dished "enter" keys because my entire board is a 1u grid.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I went to micro center to pick up a monitor and walked out with my first mechanical keyboard, a cooler master ck550 with reds. I basically picked it off the reddit guide (i know but the op here seems very outdated). I've been enjoying it quite a bit for my primary use of gaming even if the leds are kind of pointless, but i can't help but wonder if there was a better choice at my price point of 80 bucks. I'm already going back to micro center since to try the same keyboard with browns so its not really a problem for me to just return the whole thing instead if i need to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Argona posted:

I went to micro center to pick up a monitor and walked out with my first mechanical keyboard, a cooler master ck550 with reds. I basically picked it off the reddit guide (i know but the op here seems very outdated). I've been enjoying it quite a bit for my primary use of gaming even if the leds are kind of pointless, but i can't help but wonder if there was a better choice at my price point of 80 bucks. I'm already going back to micro center since to try the same keyboard with browns so its not really a problem for me to just return the whole thing instead if i need to.

I was going to say, you should try Browns too. There are a few choices with Browns at that price point.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

After trying out the browns, I had to have them. So clicky!

Argona fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 11, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
When it comes to switch options, the only objectively wrong answer is Cherry Browns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I kind of got out of keyboard acquiring ... learned to love the Planck.

I had a Rev6 finally show from Massdrop though. Put it together with Zilents, and I have a new favourite switch. MX Clears were my favourite before. These have a bit more of a firm bump, still super quiet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Exit Strategy posted:

When it comes to switch options, the only objectively right answer is box jades

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Is this a good mechanical keyboard? It's the one recommended by Wirecutter, who I usually trust. It's obviously plain but that's OK with me. It would be fun to have a crazy keyboard but it's definitely not required. I'm mostly interested in whether it's a good product.

krysmopompas posted:

I use a couple of these at work, and they don’t really compare to the quality of what they put on like an x1 extreme. They’re pretty awful, and I only use them for size reasons since I sometimes need like 4 of them on my desk at once.

Noted! Thank you.

edit: vvv Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate it.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 12, 2019

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

surf rock posted:

Is this a good mechanical keyboard? It's the one recommended by Wirecutter, who I usually trust. It's obviously plain but that's OK with me. It would be fun to have a crazy keyboard but it's definitely not required. I'm mostly interested in whether it's a good product.

It's great. I had a full-sized one ... only got rid of it because I got obsessed with smaller and smaller keyboards hah.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

surf rock posted:

Noted! Thank you.

I have the full size with cherry browns and love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

shovelbum posted:

I have the full size with cherry browns and love it

I have a full-sized in Cherry MX Greens and I also will echo that it is a very, very good board.