Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

We also have some people in our Manila office my team interacts with, mostly over Slack. They always start with “Hello, Sir Proteus”, which is weird and makes me a bit uncomfortable. Constantly referring to me with an honorific is a level of subservience I’m not super cool with, but I don’t know how to address it without sounding like I’m criticizing them directly. It even shows up in emails and Incident work notes.

Just tell them to refer to you by a nickname. Nicknames are never preceded by "Sir".

The trick is going to be in finding an appropriate nickname. Might I suggest "Boyboy"? Or "Projo"?

E: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_name

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Or just reciprocate with the same honorifics.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, the culture shock working with our Indian dev team was very real at the start. It took us quite a while to get them to realize, “Seriously, if you don’t think something is going to work tell us that. Also, saying the word ‘no’ is not going to set us off”. I’m not saying this is everyone, but it seems like contradicting a manager or team lead is a THING THAT IS NOT DONE. Fortunately, that team is totally comfortable with us now.

We also have some people in our Manila office my team interacts with, mostly over Slack. They always start with “Hello, Sir Proteus”, which is weird and makes me a bit uncomfortable. Constantly referring to me with an honorific is a level of subservience I’m not super cool with, but I don’t know how to address it without sounding like I’m criticizing them directly. It even shows up in emails and Incident work notes.

I think that's just a Philippines things. Several of my coworkers also say it, and they're from there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Eikre posted:

Or just reciprocate with the same honorifics.

That's what I do.

Like, all I greet all my co-workers in Japan with [name]-san, because they call me Junglist-san when they email me, so it seemed like the proper thing to do.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

One of my mannerisms is to refer to everyone as "sir". No subservience intended at all; I use it like many people would use "dude" or "man". Obviously not saying that's what's going on here but I've certainly had my share of experiences while people get to know me regarding this quirk.

I know people like that (I’m assuming you mean using “sir” and “ma’am”) and I don’t have as much of an issue with it. It just feels like a different context in the US when it’s used. These guys use it like I’ve been knighted for service to the Realm.

And really, I was using it more as a Cultures Are Different thing, and the problem I have with it is exactly that: my problem. Not theirs. Since I feel it would cause more harm and insult to try to “correct” them, I just let it go. And cringe a little when I see it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 28, 2019

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Still think you should adopt a pinoy-style nickname. :colbert:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
The one that chafes me is when people sign their social media posts. We have an internal Facebook-alike that tags photos with your name and a link to your profile, so there is no loving reason to sign your posts like you're my dad sending me ICQ messages in 2001. You are an IT professional, you loving well know better. Stop. I have reported you to your supervisor and questioned your qualifications because now I believe you are mentally deficient. Please stop, you're making the rest of us look bad to the rest of the company. STOP.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The one that chafes me is when people sign their social media posts. We have an internal Facebook-alike that tags photos with your name and a link to your profile, so there is no loving reason to sign your posts like you're my dad sending me ICQ messages in 2001. You are an IT professional, you loving well know better. Stop. I have reported you to your supervisor and questioned your qualifications because now I believe you are mentally deficient. Please stop, you're making the rest of us look bad to the rest of the company. STOP.

-- Dirt Road Junglist

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Gold star for TITTIEKISSER69 :golfclap:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shut up Meg posted:

I'll be honest, I would not be surprised if one of you relates an IT story where your boss hands you a gun.

So, I've been away for a month, and this is an incredible post to come back to. We haven't given anyone a gun yet, but we were just joking that we should do it.

There's a bird who is insisting that they build a nest in one of our satellite dishes, and it's causing a brief interruption in service every time they fly in or out. Every time the nest is removed, the bird just starts from scratch in the same spot so my boss made a joke about going out there with a .22

I mean, nobody's actually going to do that. I think.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For what it's worth, my first thought was relocating the stray cats that live by the corporate HQ :shobon:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

kensei posted:

I built a new hire form for our HR and once it is approved will tie it into PowerShell to create accounts and licenses automagically once the Docusign sigs are gathered. I am quite excited to automate this.

Are you validating all the fields, or are you just going to bounce it back when they screw it up that effects you and let it roll otherwise? I foresee a lot of stuff getting sent through the old way because “We don’t have this information and I don’t have time to find it right now, just enter it with what we have.” when it’s missing stuff like the DOB or SSN. Or they try submitting it as “John StillNeedLastName” rather than “John Doe” and ask why his login name is set as jstillneedlastname rather than jdoe.

Basically what I’m saying is I hope you have buy-in to clamp down on the jackassery and laziness from HR.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Renegret posted:

So, I've been away for a month, and this is an incredible post to come back to. We haven't given anyone a gun yet, but we were just joking that we should do it.

There's a bird who is insisting that they build a nest in one of our satellite dishes, and it's causing a brief interruption in service every time they fly in or out. Every time the nest is removed, the bird just starts from scratch in the same spot so my boss made a joke about going out there with a .22

I mean, nobody's actually going to do that. I think.

We've actually had team building sessions at the local shooting range.

Was the first (and probably last) time I've ever handled an AK. drat that thing was fun to shoot. :clint:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you validating all the fields, or are you just going to bounce it back when they screw it up that effects you and let it roll otherwise? I foresee a lot of stuff getting sent through the old way because “We don’t have this information and I don’t have time to find it right now, just enter it with what we have.” when it’s missing stuff like the DOB or SSN. Or they try submitting it as “John StillNeedLastName” rather than “John Doe” and ask why his login name is set as jstillneedlastname rather than jdoe.

Basically what I’m saying is I hope you have buy-in to clamp down on the jackassery and laziness from HR.

We had a process for that, which involved at least 2 sets of human eyeballs on the CSV before it got fed into the automation. An occasional "FNU" name for one of our non-US employees would sneak in, but that's the worst that would happen. Our process has to be tight because changing a username once it's been committed to prod is such a fuckshow (and anyone with a legitimate need to change their name, like in the case of a gender transition or escaping an abusive marriage ends up causing a nightmare project that my former team needs to deal with because we want to help but it's a lot of bullshit to untangle.) Error checking would pick up on bad DOBs or employee numbers.

We had another team come to us with their "solution" for our "onboarding problems," of which there were none. The proposal was a web-based interface with no batch upload where we'd have to copy-pasta every field.

They were actually insulted when we asked why they'd bothered and told them to gently caress off.

PROTIP: Never roll up a "solution" for a team that never asked for one that also has a 99.999% record of doing their job correctly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are two email approval stages for all new hires, so that should be taken care of. I know, best laid plans, but still.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

An email chain came in:

SENIOR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE: This customer needs their contact email changed. I changed it in CRM two weeks ago and they are still receiving emails at the old address.

SENIOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT: There is only one email on file and it already has the new address. [3 MB screen grab of CRM page as evidence.] Contact [First of May] to figure out why.

FIRST OF MAY: Recommend customer unsubscribe from marketing emails on their old address.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That's what I do.

Like, all I greet all my co-workers in Japan with [name]-san, because they call me Junglist-san when they email me, so it seemed like the proper thing to do.

I'm the opposite. I feel like I'm being sarcastic/mocking people when I add -san. It's not something I do for everyone, so it feels weird cherry picking who gets it. My entire chain of command is Japanese and I'm Nazattack-san to them, no one has ever mentioned my lack of -san in replies. I also don't do Mr. or Mrs. [lastname] I call everyone by their first/preferred name.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PremiumSupport posted:

We've actually had team building sessions at the local shooting range.

Was the first (and probably last) time I've ever handled an AK. drat that thing was fun to shoot. :clint:

No good day for you :(

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
For anyone who has RDP open to the world, for the last time: stop it

https://github.com/zerosum0x0/CVE-2019-0708

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/1133823619786727424

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:same:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had a
coworker
who couldn't
put a single thought
in a single
line

And they would
produce chains
of messages like this.

In this case it was good that they were actually in another state. If they'd been in an office, I'd have brought in a nerf gun with the intention of shooting them for every message they sent.

Just picture the conversation being spoken my Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

spiny posted:

Just picture the conversation being spoken my Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle.
Lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A ticket came in. A question about removing be mail from archiving, could we save money if people voluntarily deleted mail older than a few weeks?

A ticket came in that afternoon. Heads up about a legal hold on email. The aforementioned submitter is in scope.

:birdthunk:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket came in. A question about removing be mail from archiving, could we save money if people voluntarily deleted mail older than a few weeks?

A ticket came in that afternoon. Heads up about a legal hold on email. The aforementioned submitter is in scope.

A colleague once discovered that my organization could save something like thirty million dollars a year if we changed log retention from thirty days to twenty.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

A colleague once discovered that my organization could save something like thirty million dollars a year if we changed log retention from thirty days to twenty.

drat I thought my $750k/yr due to unnecessary log retention was a big one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have zero log retention so we’re saving all the money.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

If it can't be proven that it happened, nobody's liable?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

D. Ebdrup posted:

If it can't be proven that it happened, nobody's liable?

That's what our lawyers recommend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

That's what our lawyers recommend.

I reckon someone up high is doing something hilariously illegal that even a single day of log retention would flag.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We also have no email archiving because!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nexxai posted:

For anyone who has RDP open to the world, for the last time: stop it

https://github.com/zerosum0x0/CVE-2019-0708

And that's why we've been going building by building, lab by lab since the 15th. The sheer quantity of systems we find that are not on our "patch these systems in these rooms" spreadsheet is eye opening.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Potato Salad posted:

I love seeing the wheels turn in this kind of situation. You know exactly what the guy is thinking.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GreenNight posted:

Who was it who was accused of entrapment for turning on logging?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fil5000 posted:

That sounds like blackswordca?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I thought that was a fake story from some goon trying to be relevant.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ticket withdrawn, advised user to call facilities.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's a 911 call, not a helpdesk ticket, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a 911 call, not a helpdesk ticket, what the gently caress

A ticket came in, lowest severity level, meaning it could sit in the queue for a week before needing an initial touch. Manager says his intern was roughed up outside the office and her phone and laptop were stolen.

BUT HEY NBD, NOT GONNA CALL IT IN, NOT GONNA MARK IT HIGH PRIORITY. JUST, Y'KNOW, WHENEVER YOU GET AROUND TO WIPING AND REPLACING THOSE SOMETIME...like, gently caress's sake people, have a sense of urgency.