Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a big plan jolyne has is literally just 'i'm going to light myself on fire'

that's it

not even 'i'm going to trick them into burning themselves or lighting themselves on fire, or use fire to fend off what i'm attacking'

it's just. herself. lit up like a goddamn candle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
barely related, but i think about when weather got the jumping jack flash user to punch through one of his clouds and the compacted air resistance caused his arm to catch on fire a lot

weather report is the coolest version of Storm ever

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Sure are a lot of people not talking about how part two is the greatest JoJo saga. Weird that the best AND worst JoJo, Joseph, is not getting his recognition. A JoJo so brilliant that he can think to run away from fights or bring a Tommy gun, and so dumb he forgets that he can use Hamon to cheat at the quarter game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Joseph consistently gets recognition. There was a whooooole lot of bellyaching, some of it in these very forums, over Old Joseph and Even Older Joseph because he wasn't the Tommy Gun-wielding, cross-dressing, run-awaying scamp they fell in love with.

As a matter of fact, most of the other JoJos get at least some love, especially as David Productions adapts more JoJo. The only two JoJos who get overlooked consistently are Jolyne and Gappy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people talk about joseph way too much which is kind of a problem when the dude has like two character traits somehow over the course of three parts

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MachuPikacchu posted:

The only two JoJos who get overlooked consistently are Jolyne and Gappy.

Gappy is the goodest boy in the series and the anime will bear this out :colbert:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if gappy's getting overlooked it's only because he isn't an 89-year old man

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

my first exposure to part 7 was hitting a random chapter and it's the fight where a dude can turn anything he touches into loving hand grenades

real tone-setter

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the cool thing about jojo is that sentence could describe like three people

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Augus posted:

I dunno, Diego was still kinda a bad guy. He was much more sympathetic than DIO, sure, but he still wanted the corpse in order to rule over humanity and was only allied against Valentine out of necessity. He was more callous than outright cruel, but still. I accepted Alternate Universe Diego being more twisted and resembling DIO a lot more as being just because, well, he was a different Diego.
I mean, that's kinda my problem. Lemme explain.

As a point of reference, I'm actually a fan of classic Dio. Dio Brando's my favorite villain in Jojo, perhaps in all of fiction. Note that I said favorite, not "Best." If we're talking about villains who are the most fleshed-out or nuanced, well-written or believably complex, the only two Jojo antagonists who're really having this conversation are Kira Yoshikage and Funny Valentine. But Dio is my favorite, and I've got no bones with him being "Just" an evil dude (though he isn't) for reasons I'll get into some other time.

When Johnny has Valentine on the ropes, Valentine tries to make a deal with him: release me from the spin and I'll bring your friend back. Whether Valentine actually intended to do so is another matter (he didn't), but that's what he's offering. Johnny ultimately rejects this offer, explicitly on the grounds he can't trust Valentine (as proven by the gun trick), but I feel like thematically there's this understanding, deep down, that it wouldn't really be Gyro. Not his Gyro. Another Gyro from another world, possibly similar, but not the same friend he forged a relationship with. That Gyro is dead, and can never truly be replaced. I'm not sure if Johnny fully realizes it at the time (nor possibly Araki), but with Part 7 over it feels like a thematically consistent reading.

So Diego. Diego isn't Dio, though he's informed by Dio. He's his own character with his own goals and motives. Still a villain, still ruthless, but more grounded, more human. He's not the main antagonist, but he manages to foster a rivalry with Johnny. You know he's gonna be bad news because of course he is, but Part 7 does a good job selling him as a bad guy on his own terms and not just because he bears a resemblance to another bad guy we already know and love to hate. Then he dies, surprisingly early (all things considered), and while I was shocked, I was ultimately pretty okay with it (for several reasons which are probably beyond the scope of this conversation).

So when Valentine brings over Diego 2.0, while I understand it (kinda), it feels a little cheap. This isn't the same Diego we've built up a rivalry with. He's more of an obstacle than anything. A nasty one, to be sure, but the history, the relationship isn't there. Dude literally gets plucked from his own world and dropped in this one and it feels like a reckoning that just isn't there (which is also a problem some people have cited with recent film Endgame). It also feels a little pandering. Check it out, he's got The World! Siphoning some of that big bad guy energy away from Valentine.

As a final challenge, one last obstacle to overcome, High Voltage is fine on a structural level, but Diego not really being our Diego hurts it a little bit for me. He's effectively a new character stealing another character's thunder.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 5, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It seemed to me like High Voltage was kind of a cool-down arc or to be all fancy a denouement after the real climax, which was the D4C/Love Train/Ball Breaker arc. It was like a little bonus thing, it didn't carry the same stakes as what was immediately before, but it was fun in its own way, and it was cool to see Dio with The World again.

Like that arc is basically fanservice for people who've been reading the manga all the way through. Here's classic Dio again, how will this new protagonist deal with him? It was a victory lap for Araki, having fun throwing these characters together at the very end.

Also the way Dio got killed was just perfect.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

people talk about joseph way too much which is kind of a problem when the dude has like two character traits somehow over the course of three parts

He's epic though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

stop saying epic

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The only major problem with Jolyne is she's stuck in Stone Ocean. She deserved a better Part.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Begemot posted:

It seemed to me like High Voltage was kind of a cool-down arc or to be all fancy a denouement after the real climax, which was the D4C/Love Train/Ball Breaker arc. It was like a little bonus thing, it didn't carry the same stakes as what was immediately before, but it was fun in its own way, and it was cool to see Dio with The World again.
Yeah, I get that. It has a purpose, it's largely well-executed (especially the bit with Johnny and his dad), I've just never jived with Diego 2.0 for various reasons.

That said,

Begemot posted:

Also the way Dio got killed was just perfect.
absolutely.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

other diego was interesting in that it presented this idea of an alternate universe where things had gone fairly differently for him and presumably he hadn't formed as much of a 'bond' with the others and gotten involved with the same events so he ended up forming his own stand instead of getting hijacked by dino dna

but then of course nothing is really done with that. part of me likes to believe that the original diego would have been fairly okay at the end of it all if he'd actually survived, if still a giant rear end in a top hat, while the alt diego is just a genuine shithead, but yeah. it mainly just feels weird when tacked on at the end, i think. if it had somehow been worked in before the big valentine confrontation i think it could have been cooler but as it is it's pretty whatever to me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

God though I can’t wait for all this stuff to get animated.
In particular the close-range fighting between Diego and Valentine is so cool. Whenever a JoJo fight involves a train you know it’s gonna be loving gold. Part 9 should just take place entirely on a train.
I want hear some crazy dubstep sounds for D4C breaking people into sponges

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 5, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

araki completes the western media merger and has part 9 entirely take place on an insane, riddle-telling monorail. stephen king is also there as a character. just like. stephen king himself.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I agree a lot with Bad Seafood wrt DIegO, especially with the Endgame comparison. There just isn't a lot of emotional drama there, and having Johnny lose the fight on top of it is a weird downer (also Johnny ends up killing some bystanders cause DIegO puts em there oopsie). I'm fine with Johnny losing the Steel Ball Run and Lucky killing DIegO, and it's a sick fight on paper, but yeah I feel some parts could be edited a bit. It's weird!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I dig Dio 2.0, not as much as a character, but as this demonic figure Valentine calls to existence (from a world without "the saint" even!), bargains with, and then sets loose.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alternate Diego Brando is great because he sounds like something out of a Steel Ball Run fanfic but in the best possible way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alternate Diego gives Araki the chance for a true Jonathan vs. DIO fight that he never got to do.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

High Voltage is pretty underwhelming but I do really like that the fight is a horse race instead of a straight up battle.

In a way I feel alternate Diego just exists so there’s an enemy for the race’s final leg. And also so Lucy can kill him in a cool way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Steel Ball Run so far really does feel like an old western movie but I really don't understand the magic steel balls and their spinny powers
Like I did not understand this fight between a guy with bugs in his eyes that made cactuses explode vs steel balls, it would be so much easier if it was just stand shenanigans in a way.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The idea is basically that through the mathematical perfection of things like the Golden Ratio and Golden Rectangle, energy can be created, called The Spin. Some groups have discovered how to weaponize and use this energy for medicine through means like the Steel Balls, and that's what Gyro is using

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Its Ripple but Math and in a Ball

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steel Ball Run so far really does feel like an old western movie but I really don't understand the magic steel balls and their spinny powers
Like I did not understand this fight between a guy with bugs in his eyes that made cactuses explode vs steel balls, it would be so much easier if it was just stand shenanigans in a way.

It's maaaaaaaagic

Also I kinda feel like Araki wanted to do a version of ripple that was more coherent, and also didn't want to reintroduce stands until he had to. Heck, the first leg of SBR feels like just a straight-up sports manga about horse racing.

Although, there is the tease of In a Silent Way in the first chapter, so....

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there are many secrets in the human body

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
SBR was cool when it was horse racing without much crazy stand shenanigans. It was still cool when stand shenanigans were happening, even if I'd have to read fights a few times to understand what was going on. Then Jojolion upped the insanity even more and I think the only thing I understood was The Milagro Man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Begemot posted:

It's maaaaaaaagic

Also I kinda feel like Araki wanted to do a version of ripple that was more coherent, and also didn't want to reintroduce stands until he had to. Heck, the first leg of SBR feels like just a straight-up sports manga about horse racing.

Although, there is the tease of In a Silent Way in the first chapter, so....

Araki's said in JOJOVELLER that Steel Ball Run was intended to be Part 7 from the start and that the rebranding was at the urging of the editors who thought they could pull more people in by presenting it as a completely new manga.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

i like the pun in calling him Another World Diego

My favourite Jolyne thing is the way she really feels like a culmination of the lineage of all the Joestars she's descended from. She's as tough as Jonathan (and as willing to set herself on fire), as tricky as Joseph (she does some of his string tricks with Stone Free) and as stone-cold as Jotaro (eg the baseball thing or still ripping out romeo's tongue anyway)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Remember that dude whose power was just growing bees in his eyes? Not even a stand power, he just grew insects in his body and could command them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He has a name and it was Mrs. Robinson

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ChaseSP posted:

Remember that dude whose power was just growing bees in his eyes? Not even a stand power, he just grew insects in his body and could command them.

Ah yes The Pain.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I finally got around to actually reading part 6 and finished it a little bit ago and...

What? What the gently caress?

Edit: to be clear this isn't a complaint but I found a lot of part 6 confusing and the very end got REALLY weird. "I reverse gravity which means I can turn things inside out?" "Well you can't turn me inside out if I'm a mobius strip!" is probably peak :psyduck:. The climax is just really fuckin wild in a lot of ways and leaving it I feel like I barely understand what the hell just happened.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 5, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Glagha posted:

So I finally got around to actually reading part 6 and finished it a little bit ago and...

What? What the gently caress?

Edit: to be clear this isn't a complaint but I found a lot of part 6 confusing and the very end got REALLY weird. "I reverse gravity which means I can turn things inside out?" "Well you can't turn me inside out if I'm a mobius strip!" is probably peak :psyduck:. The climax is just really fuckin wild in a lot of ways and leaving it I feel like I barely understand what the hell just happened.

I still hate 6's ending but the mobius strip gambit is loving incredible

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

C Moon is a good fight.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Everything in Part 6 could have ended better if Jolyne just carried Versace up a mountain and fed him from a spring. It would have broken the Joestar/Brando curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He cries to C-Moon, "If only, if only."