Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Congrats Duzzy!

(the common trend here is lots of math)

no math in systems engineering outside of basic statistics but I sure did have to do All the Math for the aerospace BS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's shameful to admit it but comrade Dyatlov has become a spirit animal of project managers in our group chats at work. Unfortunately all of the PM memes are...bad. They're very bad.

I hope it's mostly like monkeys on a typewriter and one day there will be a funny one.

Fallom posted:

no math in systems engineering outside of basic statistics but I sure did have to do All the Math for the aerospace BS

But is a systems engineering masters without the underlying foundation in engineering a thing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Probably not

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Goddamn Chernobyl memes are the best. That show was such a pleasant surprise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

Congrats Duzzy!

(the common trend here is lots of math)

Math is easy. I’ve been debating a master’s in finance for a while.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

You could do financial compliance then, which would mesh with the JD.

If you can manage doing that garbage without blowing your brains out, more power to you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Stop masters debating and take the GRE.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The wealth management firm next door has dogs in the office every day.

Go finance for this reason.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am suffering from a terminal case of senioritis.

I've pushed all my difficult meetings with lovely offices past the end of the contract so I don't have to deal with them and I'm trying to run out the clock with a bunch of other dumb things I don't want to do anymore.

I also told my team that I'm not going to be enforcing our telework/on-site requirements anymore so they can be remote 3 days a week now.

gently caress it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Stop masters debating and take the GRE.

Can most likely get the GRE waived, but I’ve still been looking to take it. lovely part is FSU’s master in finance program starts in the summer so it’s too late to do that.

I could go get a masters in economics, but I’m not sure if that’s as good as the MSF.

Also :lol: at the jacking off pun.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats!

Thinking about taking the GRE and going back to school. What graduate degree is actually going to have job prospects?

If you have a lick of IT knowledge get something that stands out like Information Systems at FSU and tack on something about policy. You’ll have a ton of work around the capital at least and FFS government needs not olds who know about technology advising the people making out dumb as gently caress laws.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nystral posted:

If you have a lick of IT knowledge get something that stands out like Information Systems at FSU and tack on something about policy. You’ll have a ton of work around the capital at least and FFS government needs not olds who know about technology advising the people making out dumb as gently caress laws.

I used to work extensively in the IT industry before joining the Navy and have some connections here to local IT people. FSU does have an MSIT that I could get. I'll keep it on my mind. Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

Hell yeah I got weird YouTube algorithms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

This is a pro-click for sure.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've fortunately been able to largely squash bizarre YouTube suggestions as of late. About two months ago I wiped my entire watch history and then subsequently picked "I'm not interested in this channel or topic" an absolute fuckload.

The root cause of everything was of course that I watched whatever random videos were posted on the forums and that the extremely limited amount of stuff I was subscribed to is largely gaming related. So I watch forum posted videos in incognito mode and I think I've successfully blocked out everything that would come from gaming-adjunct communities.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im sick of game collector videos, i need to get those out of my feed

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I can mostly deal with this now.

I don't care if YouTube thinks that I'm British.

Also I'm going to listen the gently caress out of that quantum presentation later.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I used to work extensively in the IT industry before joining the Navy and have some connections here to local IT people. FSU does have an MSIT that I could get. I'll keep it on my mind. Thanks!

A finance degree plus technology experience opens the door for IT security at financial institutions, both as an in-house guy, and as a third party pen tester. My brother works as the latter, and the money's good, according to him. Dude travels like 60% of the year, though. Also got him on a recruiting list for a three letter agency, which he turned down because of the 40ish% pay cut.

Finance degree works out in weird ways sometimes, is where I guess I was going with that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh wait my kids use my youtube lol theres no hope for me

at least my 70s/80s hifi restoration videos make it through the swarm of baby shark variants and american cartoon clips dubbed in hindi

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mine is filled with children show recommendations from my children using my account. So they sometimes watch some of my youtubers like Stimpee or Funhaus because its next to 3 Blind Mice or whatever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh wait my kids use my youtube lol theres no hope for me

at least my 70s/80s hifi restoration videos make it through the swarm of baby shark variants and american cartoon clips dubbed in hindi

baby shark

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Suntan Boy posted:

A finance degree plus technology experience opens the door for IT security at financial institutions, both as an in-house guy, and as a third party pen tester. My brother works as the latter, and the money's good, according to him. Dude travels like 60% of the year, though. Also got him on a recruiting list for a three letter agency, which he turned down because of the 40ish% pay cut.

Finance degree works out in weird ways sometimes, is where I guess I was going with that.

IT Security largely falls into two large buckets:

Governance / Risk / Compliance aka GRC aka the loving dicks who sit down and say “we should totally use cloud based proxy providers who have continuously updating blacklists so we don’t have to manage what our employees are seeing on the web”. They’re definitely the equivalent of paper pushers / office workers staying CONUS the entire career.

Engineering / Operations aka the loving dicks who actually implement said cloud proxy and make sure it works and have to field the questions because the GRC dicks can’t be bothered to adequately communicate with end users and don’t have to pick up the phone at 2am to unblock nba.com (yes seriously) because the proxy freaked out. They’re the equivalent of the dumb fucks who deployed in the sandbox repeatedly because they hate themselves.

Don’t do what I did and stay in Ops, be a GRC dick because they have room for advancement and generally are not caught up in the details. Understand (broadly) the implications of violating HIPPA, GDPR, PCI, GLBA, SOX, AML, etc. Understand PII, MFA, the relationship between accessibility, confidentiality, and integrity within system security design, etc. Basically its high level stuff with a ton of definition interpretation work to tailor to the needs of a particular org.

Also unless the Information Systems degree changed drastically in the last 5 years, FSU’s degree was under the Library Information Sciences department and it didn’t meet my needs so I only lasted a single term.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Nice! posted:

baby shark

There is one of the channels that gave me nightmares. Ill see if I can find it but it is definitely...off? The music is like someone got an electric piano with 1000 sound effects going ham in the background. The animation is horrifying and my kids loved it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vasudus posted:

I can mostly deal with this now.

I don't care if YouTube thinks that I'm British.

Also I'm going to listen the gently caress out of that quantum presentation later.

25x25 merciless MicroRim? Man I always play on stonkin' huge maps. Never thought of super tiny ones. I like lots of room for my cybered up Jedi Cthulhu-cultists to ride their combat armored laser-T-rexes into battle against the orcish hordes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't know what baby shark was until like, three months ago?

You poor parents.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

there are days you pray for baby shark

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I imagine it's one of the days the kids are watching Frozen on repeat.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I still can't watch Shrek, because my girls made drat sure I'd have the whole thing memorized a decade+ later. Same with Frozen.

There has always been a baby shark.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

IT Security largely falls into two large buckets:

Governance / Risk / Compliance aka GRC aka the loving dicks who sit down and say “we should totally use cloud based proxy providers who have continuously updating blacklists so we don’t have to manage what our employees are seeing on the web”. They’re definitely the equivalent of paper pushers / office workers staying CONUS the entire career.

Engineering / Operations aka the loving dicks who actually implement said cloud proxy and make sure it works and have to field the questions because the GRC dicks can’t be bothered to adequately communicate with end users and don’t have to pick up the phone at 2am to unblock nba.com (yes seriously) because the proxy freaked out. They’re the equivalent of the dumb fucks who deployed in the sandbox repeatedly because they hate themselves.

Don’t do what I did and stay in Ops, be a GRC dick because they have room for advancement and generally are not caught up in the details. Understand (broadly) the implications of violating HIPPA, GDPR, PCI, GLBA, SOX, AML, etc. Understand PII, MFA, the relationship between accessibility, confidentiality, and integrity within system security design, etc. Basically its high level stuff with a ton of definition interpretation work to tailor to the needs of a particular org.

Also unless the Information Systems degree changed drastically in the last 5 years, FSU’s degree was under the Library Information Sciences department and it didn’t meet my needs so I only lasted a single term.

Hi, I'm the loving dick who implements.

I also do Red Team stuff. Its not that bad. GRC is pretty boring, and unfortunately attracts a LOT of non-technical people who then fail to understand the intricacies of the product/solution they want.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

there are days you pray for baby shark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

This may be a little old school but if you want a degree with 100% employment at the end of it, get something with "engineering" in the title that actually involves some sort of getting dirty. Thank me later.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Underwater basket weave engineer

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

You need to get that Master of Rhetoric

(are we still making fun of Rrail (?) for that?)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I know there was some crossover between ArsTechnica & SA people back in the day, dunno if anyone here was but: https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/peter-bright-charged-soliciting-sex-minors/

Don’t read the full details if you have children or value your sanity. 🤮

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DoktorLoken posted:

I know there was some crossover between ArsTechnica & SA people back in the day, dunno if anyone here was but: https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/peter-bright-charged-soliciting-sex-minors/

Don’t read the full details if you have children or value your sanity. 🤮

All the red flags are tripped on this dude if you check his twitter history (which he will promptly delete once he gets out of jail, unless they keep him in pre-trial confinement)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m sitting here watching Chernobyl and it feels like I can barely breathe. This show is unrelenting.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A friend of mine is out here in Colorado for a week or so in a class trip for his earth science degree. He's been sending me pictures of all the weed stuff they bought down in Walsenburg.

Looks like kids shopped in a candy store. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Jesus the makeup work is shocking.