Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

willroc7 posted:

The current state of dota is excellent!

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm calling bullshit, those were probably party queue games because on all my games of the new patch I've never seen anyone win MVP because nobody actually votes

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm calling bullshit, those were probably party queue games because on all my games of the new patch I've never seen anyone win MVP because nobody actually votes

They were all duo or solo queue games. Perhaps no one earns the MVP in your games?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It seems like Valve puts too much weight on the supposed advantage of ranked roles teams. I'm regularly getting teams where my team is all archons and legends and the enemy team has some guy that's guy like Ancient II that just takes over the game completely

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

It seems like Valve puts too much weight on the supposed advantage of ranked roles teams. I'm regularly getting teams where my team is all archons and legends and the enemy team has some guy that's guy like Ancient II that just takes over the game completely

This was one of the most uneven games I've ever seen, team on the right got absolutely demolished. The game definitely has a really fuckey balance when they try and deal with a wide range of MMR

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

its okay when u party q with 3 ancient 7s you get against immortal and divine stacks

also: those badges are their highest mmr so it's entire possible the mmr is actually fairly even since the high rank people might have tanked their mmr recently.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Grey Face posted:

Been thinking about getting back into this after a loooong break (think I stopped playing after the ice dragon was released), but recent responses to this thread have me hesistant. Is the game in a good place right now? I miss teamfights.

Ignore the naysayers, game is good.

(Nearly) all heroes are viable in pubs, game is fast paced and team-fight heavy. If you want to sperg, play normal mode. If you want to get high and push buttons, turbo is a great time.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
i want to hit creeps for 20 min before anything happens

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Drow still stronk.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hairypanis posted:

(Nearly) all heroes are viable in pubs

See this is like...mostly true, but there's a really big caveat. Dota's issue right now isn't that a lot of heroes are bad. Take Zeus for example - Zeus can be a totally fine midlaner. But picking Zeus is a hard sell when Necrophos and Death Prophet are in the game, and we've gotten to a point now where even total idiots know which heroes are the good ones. So, picking Zeus when the enemy team is picking a 57% winrate hero feels like you're just setting yourself up for failure. I do the same thing - in the patch where they changed Huskar, I played 50 game with him and have a 65% winrate. When Zeus was good I got a SEVENTY PERCENT winrate over sixty games. And I'm not even that good, it's just how insanely impactful picking good heroes is. There's a rank 300 streamer I watch and whenever anyone asks how to gain MMR he says "Go to dotabuff, click heroes, click meta, sort by winrate, pick the heroes with the highest winrate." Hero picks are way too make-or-break for me to recommend the game for someone who isn't already invested

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

have you considered playing heroes that are fun and not caring about how optimal their winrate is? I mean, obviously some heroes are absolute unplayable trash with like 35% winrates and playing them is awful and not fun because you are doomed to get owned, but like anyone who has a 45%+ winrate is good enough that you can play them and enjoy yourself and maybe win, and going "even though I like zeus more than necrophos zeus only has a 52% winrate and necro's is 54% so I can't play zeus" just seems like a way to make the game seem like a job instead of theoretically the opposite of a job.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

See this is like...mostly true, but there's a really big caveat. Dota's issue right now isn't that a lot of heroes are bad. Take Zeus for example - Zeus can be a totally fine midlaner. But picking Zeus is a hard sell when Necrophos and Death Prophet are in the game, and we've gotten to a point now where even total idiots know which heroes are the good ones. So, picking Zeus when the enemy team is picking a 57% winrate hero feels like you're just setting yourself up for failure. I do the same thing - in the patch where they changed Huskar, I played 50 game with him and have a 65% winrate. When Zeus was good I got a SEVENTY PERCENT winrate over sixty games. And I'm not even that good, it's just how insanely impactful picking good heroes is. There's a rank 300 streamer I watch and whenever anyone asks how to gain MMR he says "Go to dotabuff, click heroes, click meta, sort by winrate, pick the heroes with the highest winrate." Hero picks are way too make-or-break for me to recommend the game for someone who isn't already invested

This is the worst way to play this or any game slam techies dumbass

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I just started playing Turbo again because I hate myself and want to die.

My pick strategy is: How many melee/ranged do we have?, and "Holy gently caress, I can't remember how to play."

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cock hero flux posted:

have you considered playing heroes that are fun and not caring about how optimal their winrate is?

It's not that I would never play a hero if their winrate was too low, its more that you play a hero with a high winrate and you just absolutely loving clown on the other team and you think "man this heroes loving insane," and then you imagine letting someone else pick that hero against you and it's hard to justify not picking it. Like poo poo, I would not have wanted to give the other team Huskar in the patch where he was really good because I'd have definitely lost the lane.

Also, this isn't necessarily about me, it's about someone coming back to or being new to the game. Like, I don't mind hero spamming a good hero because I know enough about all the heroes and I've been playing long enough to where I know all the mechanics, and the fun part for me is gaining MMR and winning a lot. But for someone who is just learning the game, it's gonna be really hard to get a real handle on the game when so much of the game is decided based on hero picks. And again, not that they need to pick a good hero, but someone picking really good heroes against you, totally loving on your lane, and then subsequently stomping you is just going to be a miserable 40+ minutes and make them not want to play anymore.

e: Like...I feel legitimately bad for the people who I had to lane against when Huskar and Zeus were good because I KNOW their teams were yelling at them all game for losing mid to me and they'd yell "REPORT MID FEED" at the end of the game, but it wasn't their fault, they just didn't pick the right hero.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 8, 2019

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the new cache was released and none of the three good broodmother sets got in (yet cowboy PA did)

also they released the awesome rubick set as an ultra rare because lol if you thought rubick could get a great set and not have it gated off in the rares section :negative:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you playing turbo just random or pick your jungle heroes.

I wish I could random in ranked games without the guys that insta click safe lane or mid losing their minds if it isn't a support

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

If you playing turbo just random or pick your jungle heroes.

I wish I could random in ranked games without the guys that insta click safe lane or mid losing their minds if it isn't a support

I'm still so glad that ranked queue exists just so I can get away from all the people who play the 'mid or feed' game of chicken with somebody else on the team.

I like playing cores sometimes but I just can't bring myself to slam my pog down in one of the hotly contested lanes and refuse to move until the other guy gives up. It's just so toxic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Agent355 posted:

I'm still so glad that ranked queue exists just so I can get away from all the people who play the 'mid or feed' game of chicken with somebody else on the team.

I like playing cores sometimes but I just can't bring myself to slam my pog down in one of the hotly contested lanes and refuse to move until the other guy gives up. It's just so toxic.

I don't mind this so much because I almost exclusively play 4 which is a role nobody else wants to play, but the fact that role queue is gated behind Dota Plus has lost me a lot of goodwill toward the game and is a big part of why I won't spend money on it anymore

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's not that I would never play a hero if their winrate was too low, its more that you play a hero with a high winrate and you just absolutely loving clown on the other team and you think "man this heroes loving insane," and then you imagine letting someone else pick that hero against you and it's hard to justify not picking it. Like poo poo, I would not have wanted to give the other team Huskar in the patch where he was really good because I'd have definitely lost the lane.

Also, this isn't necessarily about me, it's about someone coming back to or being new to the game. Like, I don't mind hero spamming a good hero because I know enough about all the heroes and I've been playing long enough to where I know all the mechanics, and the fun part for me is gaining MMR and winning a lot. But for someone who is just learning the game, it's gonna be really hard to get a real handle on the game when so much of the game is decided based on hero picks. And again, not that they need to pick a good hero, but someone picking really good heroes against you, totally loving on your lane, and then subsequently stomping you is just going to be a miserable 40+ minutes and make them not want to play anymore.

e: Like...I feel legitimately bad for the people who I had to lane against when Huskar and Zeus were good because I KNOW their teams were yelling at them all game for losing mid to me and they'd yell "REPORT MID FEED" at the end of the game, but it wasn't their fault, they just didn't pick the right hero.

On the other hand, people starting out will be with other new / bad players, who either won't know what heroes are good or will be so bad it doesn't matter. There aren't any heroes so good or so bad that player skill won't win in the end.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I love to pick axe or centaur and have the enemy team last pick mk or ursa every game fun patch

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Terminal autist posted:

I love to pick axe or centaur and have the enemy team last pick mk or ursa every game fun patch

Yeah the hero picking problem is only made worse now that Dota Plus tells you how to counterpick the enemy team in real-time

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
It's kind of a dumb argument about comparative hero strength when you look at the numbers, since the winningest heroes in the game win a little less then 11/20 games they're in. Then the next 100 or so heroes win about half the time, plus or minus a quarter of a game.

The only real outlier is timbersaw, who's deep in the dumps, only winning about 2/5 of the games he's in. Save my boy valve, he doesn't deserve this.

Onehandclapping fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 9, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Clinkz agh's is really good right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dSY6ZuXEY

(except everything is on fire :supaburn:)

Desperate Character posted:

the new cache was released and none of the three good broodmother sets got in (yet cowboy PA did)

also they released the awesome rubick set as an ultra rare because lol if you thought rubick could get a great set and not have it gated off in the rares section :negative:

https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Itinerant_Scholar

This one's really good and not ultra expensive, imo.

CodfishCartographer posted:

On the other hand, people starting out will be with other new / bad players, who either won't know what heroes are good or will be so bad it doesn't matter. There aren't any heroes so good or so bad that player skill won't win in the end.

Or more likely, smurfs, and they'd be doomed anyways.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 9, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Onehandclapping posted:

It's kind of a dumb argument about comparative hero strength when you look at the numbers, since the winningest heroes in the game win a little less then 11/20 games they're in. Then the next 100 or so heroes win about half the time, plus or minus a quarter of a game.

If you ask any player Divine rank or higher and they will tell you that those numbers mean a LOT. Win percentages are averaged out over millions and millions of matches, so saying "Oh its just a few percent" doesn't tell the whole picture, because it's not about the individual numbers, its about identifying the outliers, and when you consider that 100 heroes are sitting at exactly 50%, a six percent deviation is a HUGE outlier

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
This sounds like the opposite of how statistics works.

The crux of the argument is that you're part of the millions sampled and not, presumably, part of the less voluminous divine tier results. You see necro picked and assume the worst which is fine, but it doesn't mean the game is lost. The 5% average extra wins isn't 50% because there are still counter plays/picks/strats available. You're slightly on the backfoot, sure, but if you queue into dota aren't you already an underdog?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 9, 2019

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

zeus has a higher winrate than necro this patch

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
just play monkey king mid every game he is the pub stomp king.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

7.22c

Tinker
  • Level 15 Talent changed from +30 Movement Speed to +150 Gold/Min

RIP My pubs forever

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Given the speed at which a jungle capable mid hero can get to level 15 that talent seems really crazy to me. Time to go back to banning tinker every game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The closer I get to divine the more I'm finding that it really is true that nobody actually knows how to play dota.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
All random and random draft are the only enjoyable ways to play. Who cares about meta, one of our 5 cores needs to buy and place wards.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

Clinkz agh's is really good right now.

Aghs + dragon lance clinkz is insane

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

Aghs + dragon lance clinkz is insane

Yeah, you absolutely dominate teamfights, especially if you've got some teammates that can provide armor down like a dazzle or something.

He's such an insanely bad farmer, though. I remember around level 5 or something I had less damage than the Invoker I was laning against even WITH searing arrows.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Anyone want to trade collector's cache sets? I have Drow, DP, Huskar, Slark, and Undying sets. Want Abaddon, Willow, Grimstroke, Dazzle, and Disruptor.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Anyone got a Dota Underlods key lying around - if this isn't the correct thread for it can someone link me the one (can't find it).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

JadaX posted:

Anyone got a Dota Underlods key lying around - if this isn't the correct thread for it can someone link me the one (can't find it).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3880684&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#pti2

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Isn't Underlords open beta now?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think the closed beta was like one week.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JadaX posted:

this is not the thread for dota two underlords nor is it even for the actual dead game dota two. it is being kept open posthumously for the sole purpose of someone, anyone finally posting a pic of yunero the juggernaut's heaving fat tits so we can all have the closure we need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
wangsbig memorial thread