Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dogs do things very deliberately, but their judgement is well beyond that of a human, we should not deign to understand or question their puppy ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

I believe the Stand arrow is like a dog

Or a ghost

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Waffleman_ posted:

Part 4 dub trip report:

KIRA SAID BONER.

He said cock or dick.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/JalenKCassell/status/1137589335593635840?s=19

DC Douglas did adlib though and posted a picture of a chicken in response to asking if he said boner though so that's pretty cut and dry

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 9, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
https://twitter.com/DC_Douglas/status/1137610419353161728

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I knew it, I knew he said cock

What a hero

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's kind of weird that they'd change such an iconic line in an adlib though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it's still the same line they just used a raunchier word because DC Douglas is that kinda guy

Though this does create the childish intrigue of me wanting to see what word they put into the Viz tanks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arist posted:

I knew it, I knew he said cock

What a hero

You see, I got a cock

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah that adlib actually makes no sense but if it's censored anyway then whatever

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's funnier to say cock and thereby have it censored

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Expect My Mom posted:

thinking about a let's read purple haze feedback thread

I watched a video talking about JJBA, and it said something that really resonated with me. The narrator said that Jojo’s was such a unique experience that when you look for something like it, all you can find that scratches the itch is more Jojo’s. Unfortunately, I’m almost caught up on Jojolion, which leads me to this question: where can I find the JJBA novels? If I need to buy them, I’m happy to do that. I just...need more

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

somepartsareme posted:

yeah that adlib actually makes no sense but if it's censored anyway then whatever

He changed the rest of the line too so it would fit, genius

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
walk into the club like you see i got a huge cock

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

somepartsareme posted:

walk into the Louvre like you see i got a huge cock

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
nah i'm just pumped cause i blew up a shoe shop

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Expect My Mom posted:

I believe the Stand arrow is like a dog

then how has it survived this long???

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Augus posted:

Part 6 has at least two big points in its favor
1) It has Jolyne, the coolest JoJo
2) It has the greatest panel in manga history

Would Weather even know what a Mickey is? He lost his memories after all

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

That entire fight hinges on the fact that Weather doesn't know any of the characters being revived by Bohemian Rhapsody.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

goblin week posted:

disney is inevitable in 2011-2012 corporate Florida

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

goblin week posted:

He got Hollywood Amnesia where you lose your memories of who you are but conveniently remember everything else like how to eat and who Mickey Mouse is.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

goblin week posted:

he has his memories back by this point

e: it's really funny that Weather becomes a sociopath when he gets his memories back but people still like him more than Anasui because Weather act weird to the main crew

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 10, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm pretty sure that he did not have his memories, cause he gets attacked by Van Gogh's self portrait because he doesn't know any modern fiction or something like t hat

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
iirc Weather gets his memories back before he leaves the prison. that's what inspires him to leave. I feel like I remember Weather getting his Joestar birthmark and then being able to sense where Pucci is so he's ready to leave and Anasui is like "we gotta wait for Jolyne man!" but he doesn't listen.

e:ah okay, I might be conflating Weather getting his personality back but not knowing everything. He knows that he has a connection to Pucci but there's a scene where he's confused how to use a normal sink because it's not like the prisons

e2: yeah you're right my bad, I totally forgot about the other part of Bohemian Rhapsody, where if you meet a character your like, your soul is taken out and takes on the role of that character in their story, that's why Anasui gets getting his soul ripped and Weather is just "man these characters are annoying"

e3: this manga is so loving stupid

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Even the loving cops have elf ears.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I would really like to hear Araki try and explain what was up with all the elves and goblins in Part 6. Even for a series called JoJo's Bizzare Adventure that was such a baffling artistic choice.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How will they handle the FtM prisoner scene? Will they just include it because it’s Japan?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
what? i don't understand the second half of your post. that scene is like, pretty fine. it sucks that a trans man is in the women's wing of the prison but jolyne's cool with him

i more curious how they're gonna handle snow white, ultraman, optimus prime, astroboy and spiderman

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Miami Dolphins are all I want

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I always read that scene as "This happens in American prisons," like all of the other stuff that was establishing what Green Dolphin Prison was like. And it absolutely does happen in U.S. prisons, all the time.

Part of me doesn't believe that Jolyne wouldn't know a trans dude when she sees one because it's implied she's kind of into the gay/drag scene, but then, cis people act really loving mystified about what hormone therapy can do, so eh.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i didn't realize that Stone Ocean was set in 2011 until i looked it up just now

i also didn't know it started in 2000

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Expect My Mom posted:

iirc Weather gets his memories back before he leaves the prison. that's what inspires him to leave. I feel like I remember Weather getting his Joestar birthmark and then being able to sense where Pucci is so he's ready to leave and Anasui is like "we gotta wait for Jolyne man!" but he doesn't listen.

e:ah okay, I might be conflating Weather getting his personality back but not knowing everything. He knows that he has a connection to Pucci but there's a scene where he's confused how to use a normal sink because it's not like the prisons

e2: yeah you're right my bad, I totally forgot about the other part of Bohemian Rhapsody, where if you meet a character your like, your soul is taken out and takes on the role of that character in their story, that's why Anasui gets getting his soul ripped and Weather is just "man these characters are annoying"

e3: this manga is so loving stupid

That's not the worst one lol

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Mickey isn’t there because that’s clearly a Universal Studios brochure. They should be asking where the gently caress is Shrek.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just finished part 7. I see why people like part 7 and Johnny Joestar in particular. Guess I had a couple issues with the ending, though. Mainly every rider who had something at stake for the corpse chase or horse race is dead except Johnny so it turns out the race outcome did not matter. Also everything that happens to Lucy or around Lucy is completely hosed, her arc is stranger and more unpleasant than Weather Report's rainbow snail arc. But when it's the Johnny and Gyro show it is extremely strong.

I can't really compare part 6 and part 7, part 6 is the third sort of exploration into the world created by Stardust Crusaders and a culmination of all that. Part 7 even when stands are involved it does not feel like parts 3 thru 6. Don't think I can put one of 6 or 7 above the other, same with Jolyne and Johnny. Part 6 though stuck its landing for me.

oh, and Dio content: I find Dio interesting as a villain as he's one of the better incarnations of the mystique around The Devil, an enthralling wickedness with power and presence but that began as a man. So part 6 explores that maybe he had ideals and a plan, maybe there was something more going on with him... and then part 7 and its ending is basically a reminder that if Dio had never become a vampire he'd just be a creepy rear end in a top hat. I guess Diego with Scary Monsters might have been on a little bit of a redemption path, having to face down someone stronger and work with others. Funny Valentine's Diego though is an encapsulation of what he really is.

Well, on to past 8, which I've noticed no one puts on the "top jojos" list. Gear up for a very odd sounding story.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Diego slowly turning into a dinosaur for the first time, swallowing rocks and being unable to see the coffee cup in front of him is one of my favorite parts of the whole manga

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well, on to past 8, which I've noticed no one puts on the "top jojos" list. Gear up for a very odd sounding story.

It''s hard to rank an unfinished story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Mickey isn’t there because that’s clearly a Universal Studios brochure. They should be asking where the gently caress is Shrek.

Nah there’s a sea world logo on the front too, it’s supposed to be a general tourist guide brochure.

...Where the gently caress is Shamu!?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Expect My Mom posted:

ultraman, astroboy
Aren't they more lax with cameos and blatant reference in anime?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I just finished part 7. I see why people like part 7 and Johnny Joestar in particular. Guess I had a couple issues with the ending, though. Mainly every rider who had something at stake for the corpse chase or horse race is dead except Johnny so it turns out the race outcome did not matter. Also everything that happens to Lucy or around Lucy is completely hosed, her arc is stranger and more unpleasant than Weather Report's rainbow snail arc. But when it's the Johnny and Gyro show it is extremely strong.

I can't really compare part 6 and part 7, part 6 is the third sort of exploration into the world created by Stardust Crusaders and a culmination of all that. Part 7 even when stands are involved it does not feel like parts 3 thru 6. Don't think I can put one of 6 or 7 above the other, same with Jolyne and Johnny. Part 6 though stuck its landing for me.

oh, and Dio content: I find Dio interesting as a villain as he's one of the better incarnations of the mystique around The Devil, an enthralling wickedness with power and presence but that began as a man. So part 6 explores that maybe he had ideals and a plan, maybe there was something more going on with him... and then part 7 and its ending is basically a reminder that if Dio had never become a vampire he'd just be a creepy rear end in a top hat. I guess Diego with Scary Monsters might have been on a little bit of a redemption path, having to face down someone stronger and work with others. Funny Valentine's Diego though is an encapsulation of what he really is.
I feel like you do a lot of connecting and comparing Steel Ball Run to everything that came before it, which is of course fair because it's called Part 7, which comes after Part 6, but I feel that also ignores that Araki was trying to do more of a clean break. Part 7 was always supposed to be the next chapter in the story of the weird adventures of people named JoJo, but there was a reason that he ended the world with Part 6, largely so he wouldn't have to keep building off of what came before as well as cleanly eliminate all power creep.

What I'm saying is that yeah, Part 7 isn't supposed to feel like Part 3 - 6, Stands aren't actually named as such until like 200 - 300 pages in, Johnny isn't really called JoJo, he's called Joe Kid etc. Diego isn't mean to continue the linage of DIO, but an exploration of when Jonathan and Dio were schoolboy rivals, a much more sympathetic antagonist type. So for the most, Part 7 is something that's supposed to stand more on it's own, it's a tighter, more self-contained story that I think delivers it's character beats and themes really strongly. The breakaway from everything really made Part 7 a lot sleeker is I guess what I'm trying to say, and I really like that. I feel like he was able to make an "original" story while still containing a ton of fun callbacks

Also as for your first point that the race outcome doesn't matter, Johnny has a whole speech to Gyro about how the journey of the race matters way more than the act of getting there. I can't find the pages right now, but it's one of the biggest times that Johnny flips their relationship, acting as a teacher to Gyro instead of the student I feel like it's intentional that as soon as Johnny crossing the finish line, it cuts to him leaving the country. The race itself doesn't matter as much as why people like Johnny and Gyro were there to do it.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That part would connect with me just a little bit more if Gyro lived. This is the first time in a long time I've been this salty about a character I liked dying, I wanted Johnny and Gyro to be able to have more adventures after this :(