Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wrestling is the simplest loving thing in the world. Have one person win a lot. Have another person win a lot. Build to a match between person A and person B.

Nobody in WWE wins a lot. Even in the John Cena days, only one person got to win a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Like a mainstay of wrestling should be having midcard gatekeepers but WWE doesn't even have that because everyone is just hovering in this similar area.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Like a mainstay of wrestling should be having midcard gatekeepers but WWE doesn't even have that because everyone is just hovering in this similar area.

We’ve talked about this before. It’s about the BRAND!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Wrestling is the simplest loving thing in the world. Have one person win a lot. Have another person win a lot. Build to a match between person A and person B.

Nobody in WWE wins a lot. Even in the John Cena days, only one person got to win a lot.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=548&page=4 Shane's undefeated in singles matches in 2019. In the two tag matches he lost in the year, Miz took the pin both times

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Hell, I'd say you don't even need to have somebody win a lot, the key is consistency. New Japan just finished up (yet another) fantastic tournament where almost every wrestler came out looking better than before. One guy went through his entire block undefeated and looked like a huge star as a result, but another guy lost every single match but in such a way that people got hugely into him and now everybody is really keen to see where he goes from here. In WWE, it's 50-50 outside of rare instances and even those are usually terribly booked (Shane McMahon's win/loss record this year) and nobody has any character and nothing matters so nobody cares.

Like you said, wrestling is simple. New Japan's booking is lauded but it's also about the most basic and simplistic booking in the world, and that's not a bad thing because it loving works!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
good booking should be able to explained to a casual viewer in one sentence or less. "He's mad because his girlfriend left him" "coffee incident backstage" "white economic anxiety" "he's really really really gay"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

good booking should be able to explained to a casual viewer in one sentence or less. "He's mad because his girlfriend left him" "coffee incident backstage" "white economic anxiety" "he's really really really gay"

That’s because the storytelling is really supposed to be done in the ring. The reason they’re fighting should always be simple, and the match should be where the actual storytelling comes into play. Wwe makes everything overly complicated where it shouldn’t be. They also like to try and subvert things no one wants are asked to be subverted. So all that happens is that people get confused because you’re doing something weird to something that should be pretty easy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

That’s because the storytelling is really supposed to be done in the ring. The reason they’re fighting should always be simple, and the match should be where the actual storytelling comes into play. Wwe makes everything overly complicated where it shouldn’t be. They also like to try and subvert things no one wants are asked to be subverted. So all that happens is that people get confused because you’re doing something weird to something that should be pretty easy.

And they can't tell stories in the ring because every match has to be wrestled the same way

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Huski Boi posted:

And they can't tell stories in the ring because every match has to be wrestled the same way

Yeah that really is a big thing. The lack of different styles of wrestling really does lend everything to feel exactly the same, but even with the wwe style you can still tell a compelling story line in the ring. I also think wwe just has way too much tv time. Doing a three hour and a two hour show every week plus a 4 hour ppv every month just makes everything feel like a waste.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The_Rob posted:

having just watched a video series on the kane/lita/snitsky feud being concocted around a fake loving pregnancy and miscarriage complete with fake hospital and doctors, I agree

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The edict should really be "treat every show like it's somebody's first."

Even AEW's pre-show failed in this regard.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

DLC Inc posted:

having just watched a video series on the kane/lita/snitsky feud being concocted around a fake loving pregnancy and miscarriage complete with fake hospital and doctors, I agree
I'm guessing these are the videos by the Reliving Wrestling guy, because I can't see two people making separate video series about that nonsense. The Snitsky episode has been showing up in my youtube recommendations lately, but I haven't watched it because I don't like how the videos on the channel always go into these detailed blow-by-blow descriptions of every match that happened during the storyline regardless of whether it's actually relevant.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Doc M posted:

I'm guessing these are the videos by the Reliving Wrestling guy, because I can't see two people making separate video series about that nonsense. The Snitsky episode has been showing up in my youtube recommendations lately, but I haven't watched it because I don't like how the videos on the channel always go into these detailed blow-by-blow descriptions of every match that happened during the storyline regardless of whether it's actually relevant.

I tried watching his video on the Booker/HHH feud. Took him until about the 20-minute mark of a 30-minute video to even mention the racism, and even then it was couched in a lame-rear end both-sides "some people saw this as controversial" thing. So I gave up and ignored the channel.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chris James 2 posted:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=548&page=4 Shane's undefeated in singles matches in 2019. In the two tag matches he lost in the year, Miz took the pin both times

I can never remember the story about HBK talking to Chris Masters in 2005 (or HBK and Rey, I've heard the story several times with several people) where Masters was going to job and was very blase about the fact, and he was talking to HBK, who said "I hate losing. And you should too."

And when I first heard that story, the lesson learned was that HBK was a prick who wouldn't job. And every time since then the lesson is HBK was right, because when you can lose "just because" everything becomes meaningless and then you, too, become meaningless.

And when that attitude is used to somehow boost Shane, it loving sucks

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/wrestlesplania/status/1137555938993475585?s=19 folks.......... they got him

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

:hmmyes:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

The Last Dragon, Shane O'Mac-kagi

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I am very excited.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
In light of that, I found the episode where they talk with Trent and just got to the part where he defends himself from Excalibur’s story about him being a dummy who rented a car for a year

he leased a car, wrecked it, had a random guy in a parking lot fix it, the repairs were bad (surprise!) and would have cost him money with the lease people, and then he extended the lease until it was stolen

It’s pretty terrific.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I'm so happy.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I did like Bryan trying to wrap up last nights WOR and then dave went another 10 minutes

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Meltzer burying Corbin in that Super Showdown review. I guess his match was really that bad?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I popped for Dave's reference to the Bronze Fonz

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fart blood posted:

Meltzer burying Corbin in that Super Showdown review. I guess his match was really that bad?

Even if it ws a 7 star classic, he literally used the term 'heads will roll' in a promo. Either he came up with it, and should be ashamed of himself... or he is a spineless coward who didn't refuse to say the scripted line.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Brock has to be a shoe in for Geek of The Week right? He had the title right in his hands on Monday but decided to fly all the way to Saudi Arabia to gently caress up his cash in.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave sounds like he’s finally realized how dire WWE is creatively after so many months of “we’ll see how it plays out.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Listening to WOL and the unannounced first caller is Ryan from Cumberland praising Goldberg v Undertaker and comparing it to Nick Bonkwinkle.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Dave sounds like he’s finally realized how dire WWE is creatively after so many months of “we’ll see how it plays out.”

I love openly hating WWE booking Dave. He's finally turned the corner on the booking being like late WCW and it's great.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

I love openly hating WWE booking Dave. He's finally turned the corner on the booking being like late WCW and it's great.

I do too. I'm just shocked it took him this long, when it's been clear for years that they really don't have a higher plan other than vaguely keeping Reigns over.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable

Rodney the Piper posted:

I do too. I'm just shocked it took him this long, when it's been clear for years that they really don't have a higher plan other than vaguely keeping Reigns over.

I think the disconnect for a while was that when people would say "This is as bad as WCW!" Dave would reply that it wasn't because it didn't have Judy Bagwell on a pole level of absurdity. However, I think the argument people were making - that he has now come around on - was that the idea of matches having no consequence and things not carrying over week to week was reminiscent of WCW booking which has now become as bad or worse.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

Brock has to be a shoe in for Geek of The Week right? He had the title right in his hands on Monday but decided to fly all the way to Saudi Arabia to gently caress up his cash in.

On the other hand, he once again has the best pay/work ratio of anyone on the Saudi card.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Luke72w posted:

I think the disconnect for a while was that when people would say "This is as bad as WCW!" Dave would reply that it wasn't because it didn't have Judy Bagwell on a pole level of absurdity. However, I think the argument people were making - that he has now come around on - was that the idea of matches having no consequence and things not carrying over week to week was reminiscent of WCW booking which has now become as bad or worse.

Exactly. The specific absurdity of late WCW is nearly impossible to match - I rewatched a Nitro recently and my jaw was on the floor the whole time, even relative to current WWE - but the broad strokes of the mistakes WWE is making are the same.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1137973125461659648

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Besides what other people have mentioned about the comparison to late WCW, I think he was also trying to be optimistic with his wait and see approach. It seems like it was after Moxley's interviews where he really turned around on his opinion.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I know he was being optimistic. It's just amazing that he had any optimism left despite writing about wrestling for decades and knowing what WWE had done for the previous decade or so. I can't think of a single unqualified booking success they've had in the past five years. The rise of the Shield and Daniel Bryan had already happened by then.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am sure he has his reasons other than them driving him crazy, but it legit makes me sad to hear Bryan trying to get rid of his cats. I know it's his decision but it's kind of depressing I guess.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rodney the Piper posted:

I know he was being optimistic. It's just amazing that he had any optimism left despite writing about wrestling for decades and knowing what WWE had done for the previous decade or so. I can't think of a single unqualified booking success they've had in the past five years. The rise of the Shield and Daniel Bryan had already happened by then.

He was probably under the same mentality the company's fans have been stuck in for a while, where the thought was "what they're doing must be good, because it's working, because they're making more money than ever". The TV and Saudi deals happened despite what WWE's doing, not because of it, and if you listen to enough of HHH's/Vince's/Steph's bullshit or for long enough eventually you're deluded enough to believe that's not the case. Some of them are even starting to say XFL will have similar success now

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable

Chris James 2 posted:

He was probably under the same mentality the company's fans have been stuck in for a while, where the thought was "what they're doing must be good, because it's working, because they're making more money than ever". The TV and Saudi deals happened despite what WWE's doing, not because of it, and if you listen to enough of HHH's/Vince's/Steph's bullshit or for long enough eventually you're deluded enough to believe that's not the case. Some of them are even starting to say XFL will have similar success now

I took it more as Dave not saying that WWE booking wasn't terrible, but more that WCW was worse. WWE fans would say their booking is beyond reproach for literally any reason they could pick, finances just being one.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Roman booking is probably what did it cause even before they at least protect the guy they saw as the top guy. But now welp job him to Shane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I decided to start a podcast with my buddy and we reviewed Double or Nothing for our first episode. I'm waiting for my website to get built so I'm just temporarily hosting it on Libsyn till everything is set up. Check out the intro!!

http://rudospodcast.libsyn.com/episode-1-double-or-nothing-review

I tried to listen to this and then you put two full minutes of nonsense at the beginning before you even started the show and I remembered why every podcast nowadays is a chore to get through